Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

Happy-sad combos

Do you have a happy milestone that unfortunately is close to a sad one that taints it?

Tonight is my wife and my third wedding anniversary. That's wonderful.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is the second anniversary of my mom dying.

So we were getting ready for dinner. I'm in my closet picking a shirt, and I notice a lot of my clothes are ratty. Ready for the trash. But I can't make myself do it... many of them were gifts from mom. And it made me really sad. Which of course I had to push through for dinner and all.

Am I being a b!tch here?

9 minutes ago, posty said:

My father died on Thanksgiving Day...

Ouch. Mom's birthday was new years eve, which is also my 2 year old nephews birthday. We were all so excited to have joint birthday celebrations, but she didn't make it to the first one.

My sister has basically moved her sons birthday while he's still young enough not to care. 

Not a personal one, but one I won't forget.

A close family friend went to SB22 (I was also there) to watch the Redskins crush the Broncos.  He was hit and killed leaving the Stadium.  You can trust that family has no good memories of what should be an iconic day. 

My dog died on Father’s Day 1982. RIP Snoopy. You were the best. 

18 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Not a personal one, but one I won't forget.

A close family friend went to SB22 (I was also there) to watch the Redskins crush the Broncos.  He was hit and killed leaving the Stadium.  You can trust that family has no good memories of what should be an iconic day. 

Fock. That's grim.

My wife hails from a tiny village in the mountains in the Philippines. I have never been there and never will. It's like a wash your clothes in the river, no running water kind of thing.

In order to get there, I'm told you have to walk a mile or more along a ledge that is maybe 3 or 4 feet wide, and you die if you miss.

As the story goes, about 9 years ago, there was a party up there for mommas birthday or whatever. Everyone came.

One of her brothers in law (she has 9 sisters and two brothers) was a fat man, and didn't handle the hike well. He dropped dead at the house. Since there is no way to get there by car, they literally had to lash his body to a kitchen chair, lash poles to it, and carry it down the mountain to the ”big town” at the foot. His wife and two young kids were there of course.

So my wife has told me, both for the lack of civilization, and the risk, that I will never go with her there. Given how sh!try the “big town” is, that suits me fine. 

My junior year, the valedictorian was riding home from a party. Her boyfriend was driving. Day before graduation. Hit a tree, she died. He walked away.

The next day, he actually walked across the stage, face all cut up. You could hear a pin drop. 

10 hours ago, posty said:

My father died on Thanksgiving Day...

Mine also. His all tme favorite holiday. I had to make the decision to pull the plug that night. Hardest moment of my life. And hardest day now. :cheers:

Nothing as severe as stated here. I landed my best paying (and current) job on the anniversary of my fathers passing. 

One of our large group of friends got a rare respiratory disease and he was on his death bed and thankfully he passed on my wedding anniversary- otherwise it would of crushed a friend of ours whose bday was day before our anniversary. He was only mid 30’s. 

12 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Do you have a happy milestone that unfortunately is close to a sad one that taints it?

Tonight is my wife and my third wedding anniversary. That's wonderful.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is the second anniversary of my mom dying.

So we were getting ready for dinner. I'm in my closet picking a shirt, and I notice a lot of my clothes are ratty. Ready for the trash. But I can't make myself do it... many of them were gifts from mom. And it made me really sad. Which of course I had to push through for dinner and all.

Am I being a b!tch here?

No. It was one of your parents. You’d be really focked up if it didn’t bother you.

7 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

No. It was one of your parents. You’d be really focked up if it didn’t bother you.

Agreed. 

I blew out shoulder very bad in HS.  Rebuilt with pins and tendons from my back.  Surgery was Aug 3 1998.  Had my first date with my wife Aug 4 2012.

The beginning of Aug is very special to me.  Rebirth.

54 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

I don't mean her dying. I meant the crap with the shirts. I was brought up to never be sentimental about things. 

8 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I don't mean her dying. I meant the crap with the shirts. I was brought up to never be sentimental about things. 

You are living in a foreign country and those are probably the few things you have to remind yourself of her. Stop overthinking it. It’s completely normal.

5 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

You are living in a foreign country and those are probably the few things you have to remind yourself of her. Stop overthinking it. It’s completely normal.

Yeah. My sister wants to take all that crap, her old clothes, etc. And have quilts made. 

3 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah. My sister wants to take all that crap, her old clothes, etc. And have quilts made. 

That’s actually kind of a nice idea.

14 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

That’s actually kind of a nice idea.

She's kind of at war with the rest of the family right now. Quite sad. Hope those fools can pull it together. I don't get involved in that .

See, dad just bought a new house. On the Mississippi River, next door to cybil shepards old house.

So my brother and his wife and her 14 Asian staff bought my parents old house.

My sister and sister in law don't play nice, and she says she'll drop dead before she ever celebrates anything there again.

Ridiculous . One reason I haven't lived within 200 miles of them since the day I graduated high school. I love em... but best from afar.