Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Home warranty

Anyone here have one? Trying to see if ours is worth keeping or if we should try something else. $650 a year with $75 service fee any time someone comes out to fix something 

3 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Never heard of it, but pretty sure I'd never even consider it.

This.

3 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Never heard of it, but pretty sure I'd never even consider it.

They are usually a huge waste of money but I know it has been helpful for some people.  It's basically just another insurance policy in case you have need a major repair in your home.

I've never had one but the people that I know that have them always biotch about the sh!tty repair work and the use of used or refurbished parts.  They also complain the contractors try to claim that your problem isn't covered under the warranty for some weird bizarre reason.  Sh!t like, Well when your cable company ran the cable it was laid next to the air duck in the front bedroom so that voids the warranty on your compressor.   

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What does it all cover?

Pretty much everything from my understanding. I don’t think it would cover an entire new AC unit or new plumbing but it does fix pretty much anything thats broken from my understanding. Used it once for the AC last year and got it fixed in a day. AC stopped blowing and sucking in air inside yesterday but the outside unit still works. Warranty expires in September so I’m trying to determine if I want to keep it or go with something else 

I would look to see how old all your stuff is.  If you have a bunch of appliances that are over 10 years old you may consider keeping it.  Most appliances are only made to last about 10 years.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I would look to see how old all your stuff is.  If you have a bunch of appliances that are over 10 years old you may consider keeping it.  Most appliances are only made to last about 10 years.

Our house is 2 years old going on 3 now. I like having the safety net of something like the warranty. I’m just not sure if it’s something I should keep or if there are other options that are better than this. So far, haven’t had a problem with them when we put in a claim 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Our house is 2 years old going on 3 now. I like having the safety net of something like the warranty. I’m just not sure if it’s something I should keep or if there are other options that are better than this. So far, haven’t had a problem with them when we put in a claim 

I think it's a waste of money but I do get that some like the comfort of knowing they have that coverage.  I just make sure I have money put away to cover expenses like that.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I think it's a waste of money but I do get that some like the comfort of knowing they have that coverage.  I just make sure I have money put away to cover expenses like that.

Oh I’ve got the money in case something should happen. I just don’t want to spend it lol 

Just now, Djgb13 said:

Oh I’ve got the money in case something should happen. I just don’t want to spend it lol 

Well, you're spending it regardless with that warranty.  You're just prepaying it, if you end up using it.

They have a fairly high profit margin, which should tell you something......

• Like 1

I've had one twice, both that came with the purchase of a home.  Mixed experience.  First time I had some type of plumbing issue.  Dude came out and fixed it.  No charge and never had another issue with that plumbing.  Second time a couple years ago, shortly after purchasing our current home.  Issues with A/C on a really hot day.  Dude came out when I wasn't home and my GF was.  Basically told her we weren't changing the filter often enough.  Unfortunately the problem didn't return (no more days that hot that year) but I'm not convinced he did much to determine if the system was working properly.  Can't say for sure.  Not sure if related but this year our A/C unit completely died and had to have it replaced.  It's been a couple years since the HVAC guy was out so can't say if he could have prevented the thing from dying if he'd done a better job but I was underwhelmed by the experience.

I did not renew either warranty after they expired.   I suspect a large percentage of the initial sales of these warranties are for people selling their homes because they sound good on a listing, especially to a first time buyer.

Well obviously the idea is most people are going to spend way more in premiums than they get back in repairs, that’s the way the whole thing works economically. So know that it’s probably a losing proposition that way.

But if it gives you peace of mind that is certainly worth something. Just be sure they won’t try to screw you anytime you need it with a bunch of coverage exclusions and so forth. Also be wary of the fly by night operations that fold up and leave when they have to actually make significant payouts. They declare bankruptcy (or just disappear) and you’re stuck holding the bag. Meanwhile a shiny new warranty company with the exact same ownership pops up two states over.

46 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

They have a fairly high profit margin, which should tell you something......

Business opportunity?  Let's do it!

5 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Those appliances are fairly new at 3 years old in a new house. I’d skip it. 

6 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

This.   AC in particular really.  If you have an old system and even if it covers getting some freon once a year that usually makes it worth it alone.   They definitely cheap out on the repairs a bit and the companies they use are probably not the best (or else they wouldn't depend on referrals from home warranty companies).   I used mine the second year I was in a house when our AC was having trouble, they ended up replacing the coil which costs almost as much as a whole new system.   My old house had a well too which I got some use out of the warranty for as well.

But with a newer house probably not worth it.

Some companies are better than others though.

So we have two separate units in the house. One is for the down stairs and then we have another unit for our upstairs. Getting charged $75 twice since it’s two units. I’ll prob not renew it cause I checked the reviews of it and it seems like the company likes to try and skip out on a lot of Sh1t. We had this warranty included in the closing costs and had the sellers cover all closing costs. I only plan on staying in this house a max of 5 more years cause I want to build up a little more before buying either land to build on or buying our permanent home and adding stuff to it.

Regarding AC units, they can last a long time but manufacturers have cheaped out and nowadays don't usually install a start capacitor which causes the compressor to die sooner than it should.  If you've got a relatively new AC it's recommended to install a start capacitor, also known as a hard start kit, to lengthen the life of the AC unit.   Here's an HVAC company talking about this:

https://georgebrazilhvac.com/blog/what-is-an-air-conditioner-hard-start-kit

I found out about this issue when my AC died this year, and had them install a start capacitor with the new unit.

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

So we have two separate units in the house. One is for the down stairs and then we have another unit for our upstairs. Getting charged $75 twice since it’s two units. I’ll prob not renew it cause I checked the reviews of it and it seems like the company likes to try and skip out on a lot of Sh1t. We had this warranty included in the closing costs and had the sellers cover all closing costs. I only plan on staying in this house a max of 5 more years cause I want to build up a little more before buying either land to build on or buying our permanent home and adding stuff to it.

Sounds like a typical warranty company.  They'll always find ways to not pay.

How timely, as I saw this thread within seconds of getting a Docusign for our house purchase waiving a home warranty.  I can see maybe getting one upon initial purchase but the major things in this house are relatively new including the roof.  

One place I can see use for one was when I house sat for a guy long ago.  He got a warranty so that any needed repairs would be covered, and I ended up using the service at least once, maybe twice.  My memory was positive of the repair process, but I was young and probably had low expectations.  :D 

I have insurance on sewer and water lines.  12 dollars a month ...up to 8000 per incident.  My house is 50 yrs old and has terra cotta drain from house to street

39 minutes ago, Strike said:

Regarding AC units, they can last a long time but manufacturers have cheaped out and nowadays don't usually install a start capacitor which causes the compressor to die sooner than it should.  If you've got a relatively new AC it's recommended to install a start capacitor, also known as a hard start kit, to lengthen the life of the AC unit.   Here's an HVAC company talking about this:

https://georgebrazilhvac.com/blog/what-is-an-air-conditioner-hard-start-kit

I found out about this issue when my AC died this year, and had them install a start capacitor with the new unit.

Oh wow didn’t know that. What kind of price we looking at for one? AC is the one thing I don’t mind sinking money into so that it runs smoothly and won’t give me problems. After renting in San Antonio and having to suffer without AC for a few weeks cause the cheap ass owner wasn’t trying to get it fixed right away I have made it my priority. Cause we were literally sweating day and night due to it being 95+ in the house. This was in the dead of summer too 

26 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Oh wow didn’t know that. What kind of price we looking at for one? AC is the one thing I don’t mind sinking money into so that it runs smoothly and won’t give me problems. After renting in San Antonio and having to suffer without AC for a few weeks cause the cheap ass owner wasn’t trying to get it fixed right away I have made it my priority. Cause we were literally sweating day and night due to it being 95+ in the house. This was in the dead of summer too 

It's actually a pretty easy DIY install if you are even slightly handy around the house, and it's cheap.  My HVAC people recommended, and I got, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FNMADE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure it's the right tonnage for your AC unit.  They make another one for larger units.  I never got to install this cause the AC unit was completely dead.  They installed it on the new AC unit that I had them install. 

Google "ac hard start kit install" and you'll find videos that walk you through the install. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Strike said:

It's actually a pretty easy DIY install if you are even slightly handy around the house, and it's cheap.  My HVAC people recommended, and I got, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FNMADE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure it's the right tonnage for your AC unit.  They make another one for larger units.  I never got to install this cause the AC unit was completely dead.  They installed it on the new AC unit that I had them install. 

Google "ac hard start kit install" and you'll find videos that walk you through the install. 

Thanks man. Definitely looking into it now. Was going to mention it to the guy tomorrow when he comes by. Will look later on tonight to see if they have a tutorial video for the type of unit I have :thumbsup: