Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Carson Wentz foot injury

1 hour ago, DrG said:

Well in 2 qb leagues you can snag wentz as a stash. Lance Zierlien’s scouting reports on the Eagles backups are interesting reading. Ehrlinger is rated the lowest but what is written about him is complimentary. Not the same arm talent but more of a leader and has some mobility.

I doubt if the Colts really care about the Eagles' backups.

I liked Eason coming out of Washington last year. He has a big arm and the prototypical QB size. He falls into a good situation with a QB friendly coach, solid pieces around him, solid O-line. He just needs to not be terrible. Hopefully he learned something from Rivers last year in terms of anticipation and throwing receivers open. You'd have to assume the colts will rely heavily on their run game, but I wouldn't be shocked if Eason has a few good games here and there.

Because of all of this and the fact they're invested in Wentz who should be back at some point I highly doubt they get tangled in the Watson mess.

47 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Eason has a few good games here and there.

Here and there?  Wentz is out at least 5 weeks and it's 6 weeks until the season...  How many games do you think Eason will play?

38 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Here and there?  Wentz is out at least 5 weeks and it's 6 weeks until the season...  How many games do you think Eason will play?

Lol

43 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Good math. If he's out the full 12 weeks he'll be missing at least the first 6 possibly 7 weeks. That's a hefty chunk of the season IMO.

Haha Elf. Elf, I just registered you in a 5th grade spelling bee. 😀 

59 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Good math. If he's out the full 12 weeks he'll be missing at least the first 6 possibly 7 weeks. That's a hefty chunk of the season IMO.

Yeah, but by all rules of statistics, being out the full 12 weeks is extremely unlikely--as unlikely as him being out only 5 weeks. 6 weeks and 11 weeks are only slightly less likely, but by the time you get to the 7-10 week range, you're probly including a good 80% of all possible outcomes.

Which is to say that Eason will get a chance to start 1-4 weeks, in 4 out of 5 scenarios.

33 minutes ago, DrG said:

Haha Elf. Elf, I just registered you in a 5th grade spelling bee. 😀 

Coincidentally, Axe Elf represented Kansas in the 1977 National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C.  Of course, we didn't get to be on ESPN2 back then--it would be another four years before the original ESPN was even founded--but it was still pretty cool to be axed for my autograph by a girl in a Pizza Hut, and to eat lunch in the Senate dining room with Bob Dole and John Glenn.

Even more coincidentally, 5th grade was when I was "discovered" by the spelling coach.

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Coincidentally, Axe Elf represented Kansas in the 1977 National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C.  Of course, we didn't get to be on ESPN2 back then--it would be another four years before the original ESPN was even founded--but it was still pretty cool to be axed for my autograph by a girl in a Pizza Hut, and to eat lunch in the Senate dining room with Bob Dole and John Glenn.

Even more coincidentally, 5th grade was when I was "discovered" by the spelling coach.

I hope he was gentle :( 

18 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Unless they make some kind of trade very soon it’s going to be Eason starting the season for at least a few weeks. Also I keep hearing there’s some feckery where if Wentz doesn’t play a certain amount of games or snaps the draft pick from the trade doesn’t switch ha FS or some chit so there’s stuff like that afoot too. People are speculating October return most likely.

I believe the trade was that Wentz has to play 75% of the teams' snaps, or 70% and make the playoffs.  Last year, the Colts ran 1,032 plays, so an average of 64.5 plays per game.  If they maintain that same number for 17 games, that's 1,097.  Let's assume that the Colts make the playoffs and Wentz needs to play 70% of the snaps.  This would mean that he would have to take 768 snaps, so 11.8 games.  That would mean that Wentz would be able to miss 5 games... so, be out for 10 weeks.  That's reasonable if his time table is 5-12 weeks.

I think it's fair to say that there is a direct link to the time frame indicated and the trade.  The Colts' first 5 games are home games, against Seattle then LA, followed by 3 road games @ Tennessee, Miami, then Baltimore.  I think that if the Colts are 0-5, Wentz will be out the full 12 weeks to ensure he doesn't play 70% of the snaps.  With Wentz, their last 10 games, most are winnable.  Let's say they go 1-4 in those first 5, then they play Houston followed by a trip out west to play the 49ers... so 2-5 after 7 with 10 games left.  The remainder of the schedule....

vs Tennessee
vs New York Jets
vs Jacksonville
@ Buffalo
vs Tampa Bay
@ Houston
vs New England
@ Arizona
vs Las Vegas
vs Jacksonville

They could win 7 or more of those and be 9 or 10 win team and in the playoff hunt.  The key points are: Can they win at least 1 of the first 5?  I think so.  I'm not impressed with/scared of Miami.  I think they can go and win down there.  I also think they might be able to win that home game vs the Rams, who have to go back home to play Tampa the following week.  I can see them crapping the bed in a non-conference road game... we'll still count that as a loss and they would be 2-5 after 7.  At that point, can they win at AZ?  That's the game I think that could go either way.  I think they lose to Buffalo and Tampa, but the road game in AZ is the one game that could be the feather in the cap or the nail in the coffin.

All of the other games are winnable.  Home vs Tennessee?  Why not?  The Titans have a bad defense and the Colts have a great run defense.  The Jets and Jags aren't anything to worry about.  Houston?  Shouldn't be hard to beat them.  Home against NE?  Cam nor Jones scare me.  Vegas, Jacksonville?  What's so special about them?

10 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I hope he was gentle :( 

He didn’t axe for that.

28 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

🤣🤣

And it's being reported by an Eagles site!

Something tells me they're gonna regret choosing Jalen Hurts by mid season

3 minutes ago, polecatt said:

🤣🤣

And it's being reported by an Eagles site!

Something tells me they're gonna regret choosing Jalen Hurts by mid season

They were the most current.  There were other links I saw that were a couple hours older saying the same thing.  I just thought there was a chance that there'd be more information in that than in the others.  :dunno:

either way, it looks like hes not missing much time due to this injury.

possibly wont miss time at all.  at least.... not until the next injury arrives.

On 7/30/2021 at 1:53 PM, AxeElf said:

I doubt if it affects any regular-season games; he still has 6 weeks to recover.

Old news.

9 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

They were the most current.  There were other links I saw that were a couple hours older saying the same thing.  I just thought there was a chance that there'd be more information in that than in the others.  :dunno:

Yeah, I'm familiar with those sites and it's just funny that the Eagles have Carson Wentz articles up

Ehlinger and Eason have both looked like wide-eyed rookies in their split time this preseason. Sad for Eason because he's not a rookie, however these preseason games are his first ever game action FWIW.