Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Good older movies (80s or 90s) for famiky movie night?

We started taking turns picking a movie for family movie night, only restriction is that it needs to be age appropriate for a 9 y/o. So far we watched Beetlejuice, Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure and Invaders from Mars.

I’m up tomorrow and thought about Tremors, Tron, Big Trouble in Little China or something like Clash of the Titans. My son likes cheesy 80s fantasy movies and loved Beastmaster. 

Any recommendations of this type?

• Sad 1

I’d go with something like Ghostbusters, Turner & Hooch (they started a series for it on Disney+ that’s good according to my dad), Never Ending Story, Labyrinth, or The Lost Boys 

Our go to's are The Goonies, Indiana Jones, karate kid... I love The Lost Boys but, that's a little much for 9. Trying to think of others....

Some of those are pretty mature for a 9 year old but, that's up to the particular parent and none of my business.

• Like 1

Clash of Titans is one of my favorites, I was so young the first time I saw that, always stick with me.

Great thread.  :cheers:

I have a 9 and 12 year old and finding things to watch is difficult as a family.   

Karate Kid

Home Alone (great at Christmas) 

E.T.  

Jumanji 

All were hits.  They play baseball so we've watched The Sandlot maybe 5 times.  (You're killing me Smalls!)

The first Vacation is a good one and going to watch it soon on my outdoor movie screen, might have to tell the kids to turn away at the breast shower seen though. Stand by Me, The Sandlot and The Goonies I recommend.

Already a lot of good movies in this thread. Prob will end up watching one or two tonight after I get done studying 

4 minutes ago, Reality said:

Our go to's are The Goonies, Indiana Jones, karate kid... I love The Lost Boys but, that's a little much for 9. Trying to think of others....

Some of those are pretty mature for a 9 year old but, that's up to the particular parent and none of my business.

I'm about to introduce The Goonies.  I did Indiana Jones but maybe to early, as my then 8 year old kinda freaked out on a part so we stopped it. My (then 11 year old) got pissed.  :lol:

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

You said cheesy   :D

Great suggestions but we did a lot of them: already seen Clash of the Titans, Goonies, Ghostbusters, ET. Raiders of the Lost Arc and the Lost Boys are a little too old for my son. Any underseen / hidden gems would be great.

• Sad 1

Been thinking more on this, such a great thread...

Princess Bride, The Explorers, Willow, Back to the Future (all of them, duh), Spacecamp.... 

More incoming....

6 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Blue Velvet

Good call. I’d like him to see I Spit on Your Grave first, work his way up. :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MDC said:

Great suggestions but we did a lot of them: already seen Clash of the Titans, Goonies, Ghostbusters, ET. Raiders of the Lost Arc and the Lost Boys are a little too old for my son. Any underseen / hidden gems would be great.

Labyrinth, Never ending Story, Princess Bride, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Dark Crystal, Secret if the Nimh, Hooked. 

All I can think about right now. Trying to recall the old VHS tapes I used to watch all the time 

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

26 minutes ago, MDC said:

Good call. I’d like him to see I Spit on Your Grave first, work his way up. :thumbsup: 

9 year old MDC might like Edward Scissor Hands

War Games, The Last Starfighter, Flight of the Navigator, Rad.

Gleaming the Cube but, not old enough for that yet..

Just now, KSB2424 said:

Also we just ran through the Jurassic Parks.

The first one was groundbreaking and incredible, fell off fast after that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

9 year old MDC might light Edward Scissor Hands

I hate Johnny Depp. No real reason why. :dunno: 

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

I hate Johnny Depp. No real reason why. :dunno: 

Yeah but Winona Ryder offsets that.  

I will say this about age 9.  It's just before they learn of the birds and the bees and is a weird time.

All parents are different and I don't judge but for us having a 9 and a 12 year old the type of movies is vastly different so its weird.  But I digress.......

7 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Tremors 

You watch the new one that came out on Netflix not too long ago? Shrieker Island

Just now, Djgb13 said:

You watch the new one that came out on Netflix not too long ago? Shrieker Island

There was only ONE Tremors 

Just now, shorepatrol said:

There was only ONE Tremors 

Ah I see where you’re going with this now 

• Like 1

Weird Science , Ferris Bueller, Real Genius we’re cheesy and fun.

3 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Weird Science , Ferris Bueller, Real Genius we’re cheesy and fun.

All great....for a 13 year old.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MDC said:

“Henican??? Fawk Henican!!! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!

The Accused 

What?  :dunno:

So I ran out of ideas personally so went to google to find others for this thread and selfishly for myself to watch with my family.  This movie stood out as I sorta, kinda remember it.  Then I googled and see that Francis Ford Coppola directed it.  The Black Stallion.  

The Black Stallion (1979) 
This Francis Ford Coppola-directed film about a boy stranded on a desert island with a wild stallion who saves his life is a must-see, whether or not you're into horses. The film morphs from a wilderness survival tale to a root-for-the-underdog horse race. Note: The beginning shipwreck scene may be disturbing, even for adults, so feel free to skip to the island and go from there.

Rated G.

Recommended for ages 8 & up.

My dad started me out with Herby The Love Bug. By the time Iwas ten, I was going to the movies watching The Blues Brothers and Mell Brooks movie. 

First scary movie I ever saw was Jaws at drive-in when I was six. Scared the fawk out me. But loved the suspense.

55 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

All great....for a 13 year old.  

Is OP kid a boy (I don’t remember but think she’s a daughter.)

These are 13 year old boy movies