Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

'Legacy of Racism': U.S. Officials Move to Change 'Offensive' Names of Places—and Fish

18 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

They will not stop.  Every single thing given a name when the US Constitution was official will be deemed racist and changed.  Shame across the board.  Until they ditch the Constitution out of shame.  Then they can have a dictatorship.  At least, until the people rise up and fight back.  I don't want civil war, but they are not going to give the public a choice.

This is what the Communists did too.  Rename and/or erase from history.  Stalin was exceptionally good at it.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered…History has stopped. Nothing exists except the endless present in which the party is always right” — George Orwell

7 hours ago, DonS said:

Gotcha. Thx.

Maybe folks down south can take it back?  Pickaninny 4 Life. 

This is exactly what it’s like posting here! 

3 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

This is what the Communists did too.  Rename and/or erase from history.  Stalin was exceptionally good at it.

Cry me a river. You guys even renamed the Native Americans and called them Indians. Do you think this country was named these names before the Europeans arrived? Things change, nothing remains the same, that’s time, nothing and no one remains the same, there are not many things in life you can depend on….rain comes from the clouds, the sun lights up the sky and hummingbirds do fly….the young become the old and mysteries unfold.

(James Ingram)

14 minutes ago, peenie said:

Cry me a river. You guys even renamed the Native Americans and called them Indians. Do you think this country was named these names before the Europeans arrived? Things change, nothing remains the same, that’s time, nothing and no one remains the same, there are not many things in life you can depend on….rain comes from the clouds, the sun lights up the sky and hummingbirds do fly….the young become the old and mysteries unfold.

(James Ingram)

No, you guys renamed the Indians and called them Native Americans. There were no indigenous people in North America. 

• Thanks 1

this flower will be getting a new name I reckon. I prefer white nips myself.  

31 minutes ago, peenie said:

(James Ingram)

tough sh1t, all places were conquered, we are the only civilization in the history of the earth that has A) granted more rights to the group conquered, and b) gone back and apologized about conquering the losers, move on it happens

Ironically, everyone thinks they were called Indians cause of India, when actuality, Columbus named the area the West Indies due to its similarity to the East Indies.

It would be like complaining about the name New York

Conquerors get naming rights, period

STFU and cry me a river

52 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

No, you guys renamed the Indians and called them Native Americans. There were no indigenous people in North America. 

Yes. This is the truth. Everyone migrated here. No one is native to this country. 

1 hour ago, peenie said:

(James Ingram)

Wrong on all counts. 

22 hours ago, peenie said:

(James Ingram)

Well, Peenie, I was going to go into a long response to your post but it looks like a bunch of posters have already handed you your behind so I'll just say this:  I hope you learned something from this.  :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Yes. This is the truth. Everyone migrated here. No one is native to this country. 

And which country were the natives not a migrant from somewhere else?

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Well, Peenie, I was going to go into a long response to your post but it looks like a bunch of posters have already handed you your behind so I'll just say this:  I hope you learned something from this.  :thumbsup:

Please, never. 
All of these arguments make no sense to the topic at hand. If this country was conquered and the former names were changed due to the new inhabitants making changes then the same is happening to outdated offensive names. The new people reject these old names. Like it or not things will change.

Five places are named "Anna," which once meant "Ain’t No (N-words) Allowed" to Black travelers since some were sundown towns — places Black people weren't allowed after dark.

There is a place that is called Climax, MN.  It is offensive to the wifes of liberals.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Please, never. 
All of these arguments make no sense to the topic at hand. If this country was conquered and the former names were changed due to the new inhabitants making changes then the same is happening to outdated offensive names. The new people reject these old names. Like it or not things will change.

What names were changed from the previous federal government that was set up here in America that you are talking about?

3 hours ago, peenie said:

And which country were the natives not a migrant from somewhere else?

What? They were not natives. Which means they were from another place. No one that lives in this country is native to this land. 

The Europeans though set up colonies with borders and governance. 

The indian people were nomadic. And they were vicious against even their own people. They didn't have shlt to rename here.

5 hours ago, peenie said:

Please, never. 

What were the name changes when this country was conquered?

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

What? They were not natives. Which means they were from another place. No one that lives in this country is native to this land. 

The Europeans though set up colonies with borders and governance. 

The indian people were nomadic. And they were vicious against even their own people. They didn't have shlt to rename here.

No one from England was native to that land either. They moved from someplace else. People didn’t grow up out of the ground.

There were people living here in North America for thousands of years before anyone ever stepped foot in England. 

You’re not making sense. Seems like you saw a movie or two and are making sweeping generalizations about the people that live and lived on this continent. Are you aware of all the permanent structures that are still here? You can visit them. Just because wars happened and land was taken doesn’t  mean cities didn’t exist and there were no rules or laws or distinct people. 

I can’t believe you all are actually arguing to keep the n-word in names of places. If that makes sense and you feel it’s right then you are a bigot and I have no desire to communicate with you any further. Write your congressman or go protest about it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, peenie said:

I can’t believe you all are actually arguing to keep the n-word in names of places. If that makes sense and you feel it’s right then you are a bigot and I have no desire to communicate with you any further. Write your congressman or go protest about it. 

I don't think anyone does.

What you're seeing is that the “racism” bell has been rung so damn many times, for so many dumb things, that unless I outright see a sign that has the n word on it, I'm not buying it.

I'm from the supposedly racist south, and I've never seen or heard of anything like.

If there is, by all means, change it.

I think we can both agree that changing Asian carp is stupid, and is the kind of crap that creates racism fatigue in the first place. 

@peenie

Let me get your take on two places that have caused controversy in my home state.

1. Should the name of Lynchburg, home of Jack Daniels and Lynchburg Lemonade, be changed?

2. In the town square of Pulaski, TN there sits the building where Nathan Bedford Forrest founded the Klan. There is no statue or anything, merely a plaque noting that fact and that it is a registered historical landmark. Should the plaque be removed?

I'll hang up and listen. 

How pathetic are the times when "asian carp" is offensive? You know a certain fish brought over from Asia.  People are pathetically fragile.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:26 PM, peenie said:

(James Ingram)

Yeah things change.  Times were different.  So how about you arent allowed to cry a river over slavery? Dont want to hear it anymore.  Things change like you said.  Get over it.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Yeah things change.  Times were different.  So how about you arent allowed to cry a river over slavery? Dont want to hear it anymore.  Things change like you said.  Get over it.

No one is crying over slavery. This is removing words that are hurtful today. 

But on that note, if we can remember, honor and learn about the revolutionary war we can certainly bring up slavery.

2 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

@peenie

Let me get your take on two places that have caused controversy in my home state.

1. Should the name of Lynchburg, home of Jack Daniels and Lynchburg Lemonade, be changed?

2. In the town square of Pulaski, TN there sits the building where Nathan Bedford Forrest founded the Klan. There is no statue or anything, merely a plaque noting that fact and that it is a registered historical landmark. Should the plaque be removed?

I'll hang up and listen. 

Substitute OJ Simpson or Al Sharpton 

I’ll wait…

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The best way to remove the legacy of racism from our society is to remove the racists.  Stop voting for democrats and racism will eventually fade.  It really isn't that hard.

Regarding Lynchburg:

Easy solution is to rename it "Beastmodeburg" .

2 minutes ago, DonS said:

Regarding Lynchburg:

Easy solution is to rename it "Beastmodeburg" .

Yeah that was a trap. It has nothing to do with lynching. It was  named after an early settler whose surname was lynch. Which is the point made every time people squawk over it. 

On 7/31/2021 at 1:24 PM, posty said:

There is a Negro Mountain in Maryland that I drive over whenever I head to Morgantown...

Hadn't been that way for a while, but was just this past week...  I was looking for the sign, but it was gone...

Wondering if they renamed it, I found this:

In April 2019, the Maryland State Highway Administration removed road signs for Negro Mountain, citing concerns over racial sensitivity. Four signs were removed along Interstate 68 and U.S. Alternate Route 40

6 minutes ago, posty said:

Hadn't been that way for a while, but was just this past week...  I was looking for the sign, but it was gone...

Wondering if they renamed it, I found this:

In April 2019, the Maryland State Highway Administration removed road signs for Negro Mountain, citing concerns over racial sensitivity. Four signs were removed along Interstate 68 and U.S. Alternate Route 40

Whew!  We dodged a bullet there.  I love it when we take meaningful action that actually benefits historically disenfranchised groups in a tangible way; no point in doing things for the sake of posture and what not. /sarcasm

• Like 1