Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

What brand tires do you run?

Prefer Michelin  if I can get a deal on them. Damn they last a long time.

Run Metzlers on my motorcycle.

Michelin. Nothing else. My grandfather was a car guy and he always said tires are the most important thing on a car. Don't skimp there. That was the brand he recommended and I've always followed it. 

49 minutes ago, Old School said:

Prefer Michelin  if I can get a deal on them. Damn they last a long time.

Run Metzlers on my motorcycle.

32 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Michelin. Nothing else. My grandfather was a car guy and he always said tires are the most important thing on a car. Don't skimp there. That was the brand he recommended and I've always followed it. 

Well, they are the best and most expensive “ regular” tire.

I never keep a vehicle long enough to change the tires so I roll with that they come with. I think my Tacoma has Goodyear and my Tundra has Kelly Springfield 

Michelin pilot super sport 4s on mine

For winter, I am a fan of nokian

my wife has Pirelli all season

michelin winter 

49 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

That’s good advice from your grampa.  :thumbsup:  When I was young and poor I drove on tires until they went bald and blew out.  One time I was in a pouring rain storm and hydroplaned until I hit a curve, at which point I flew off the road and into a ditch.  Luckily it was a small ditch and I was fine, but at that point I realized that I should probably spend some of my scarce money on tires.

That being said, I’ve since bought enough tires to conclude that the market/competition pretty much sets the price on them, and they all have ratings on them, so I typically go with a “good but not great” tire.  The “good” ones tend to last longer anyway, since they tend to be a little harder.  No particular brand loyalty.

• Sad 1

Just now, jerryskids said:

That’s good advice from your grampa.  :thumbsup:  When I was young and poor I drove on tires until they went bald and blew out.  One time I was in a pouring rain storm and hydroplaned until I hit a curve, at which point I flew off the road and into a ditch.  Luckily it was a small ditch and I was fine, but at that point I realized that I should probably spend some of my scarce money on tires.

That being said, I’ve since bought enough tires to conclude that the market/competition pretty much sets the price on them, and they all have ratings on them, so I typically go with a “good but not great” tire.  The “good” ones tend to last longer anyway, since they tend to be a little harder.  No particular brand loyalty.

It's the only part of the car that touches the road, he says. The best brakes and suspension and engine in the world ain't sh!t if you can't put the power to the pavement. 

Just spent 2100 on tires, shocks and brakes. 2015 highlander. Feels like I’m driving a new car.  Yokohama’s. 

I have Hankook on my SUV.  They work great in the snow.  :dunno:

I needed 4 new tires for my Jeep last year, but every place wanted $700+ even for the cheapo's.

So a friend told me to talk to his Apu buddy at the shady auto-shop.  4 used tires installed for $150. Cash only. Hell yeah!

Which brand? Who knows, who cares.

54 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I needed 4 new tires for my Jeep last year, but every place wanted $700+ even for the cheapo's.

So a friend told me to talk to his Apu buddy at the shady auto-shop.  4 used tires installed for $150. Cash only. Hell yeah!

This!!

I have a local guy that hooks me up..one bay..dirty as hell...never paid more than 80 A tire

I take all the condoms I used on your mom and sent them to a tire company and they gave me 4 new tires. I call that a Goodyear !

Michelin Defender LTX M/S for my Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Pricey, but I did a lot of research and they had the most recommendations from the Jeep forum people.  Great traction and long tread life.  I'm very happy with them.

Michelin

I've tried a half dozen other brands over the years and keep going back to Michelin's.  

1 hour ago, Mungwater said:

Michelin are good, but damn you guys are buying some junk

I am happy to take you on on the coast.  I love these tires

The new crossclimate 2’s are an all season tire that are also triple peak rated. I believe it’s the only all season with that distinction. So basically it’s an all season winter tire.  Cool tread pattern too

3 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

You will when one blows and your jeep flips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You will when one blows and your jeep flips.

People who spend a fortune on tires hope this happens to those who don't. But it almost never does.

17 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

People who spend a fortune on tires hope this happens to those who don't. But it almost never does.

You've never been more wrong.  Sit this one out Gobbledog.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

No, not really.  Just whatever you have keep them safe.

36 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I've had a blowout before. Going through an s curve, back left tire blew.

I barely kept it on the road. And that was a Honda civic crx. If I had been in a taller vehicle, like an suv or a jeep, I'd have been dead.

Never go cheap on tires, shoes, or mattresses.  My dad owned a tire shop and I’ve been involved in commercial tire sales for over 20 years.  

• Like 2

Just now, Mungwater said:

Never go cheap on tires, shoes, or mattresses.  My dad owned a tire shop and I’ve been involved in commercial tire sales for over 20 years.  

So tell us which ones are good, which ones suck. It would be helpful. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So tell us which ones are good, which ones suck. It would be helpful. 

For your personal car, I always say michelin or continental.  Stay away from the Chinese brands.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

Stay away from the Chinese brands.  

Good advice in most things. There are some exceptions, mostly electronics, but those aren't available in the states anyway. 

10 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Good advice in most things. There are some exceptions, mostly electronics, but those aren't available in the states anyway. 

There are a ton of importers that bring them in.  Even ski bum who mentioned Dunlop, if you want thirty year old Goodyear technology, go for it.  But just be mindful of the Chinese imports, look at the last four of their DOT number, that’s the week and year they were made.  I’ve seen some that must have spent a year on a container waiting for a boat

37 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

There are a ton of importers that bring them in.  Even ski bum who mentioned Dunlop, if you want thirty year old Goodyear technology, go for it.  But just be mindful of the Chinese imports, look at the last four of their DOT number, that’s the week and year they were made.  I’ve seen some that must have spent a year on a container waiting for a boat

They came with the car, I know they suck. I am probably getting a Ford lightning next year, but if I keep the car I will research tires and buy some track capable street tires.

Dated a woman before I got married. She lost lip/Lavinia during childbirth. Had one lip. Got mad at her when I offered to buy her a set of Michelin for her fi50. She said no thanks. Me: You’ve got no tread left on your poosay tires, I’m not surprised. And it pulls to the left. 

General ATX.

I just put them on so I'm not sure how much I'll like them yet. But I've run both the Grabber 1 and Grabber 2 in the past and loved both of them.

13 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I've had a blowout before. Going through an s curve, back left tire blew.

I barely kept it on the road. And that was a Honda civic crx. If I had been in a taller vehicle, like an suv or a jeep, I'd have been dead.

You forgot to log into GFIAFP before telling this story.

A cheap tire doesn't have to "blow out" to screw you.  Uneven wear, protruding belts, cupping, hard to keep balanced, etc.  Also, you have to consider the cost of mounting and balancing that your paying for twice in 5 years while a premium tire will last alot longer.  

15 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

There is a difference between buying inexpensive and buying used.  I suppose you might luck into good used tires with most of the tread.  Or you might get the ones that sat out in the sun for a few years waiting for the opportunity to blow out.  No big deal I guess, take the risk.  :thumbsup:  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Fireballer said:

You forgot to log into GFIAFP before telling this story.

While I certainly have my issues, I can't hit GFIAFP levels of crazy on my worst day. 

Michelin. 
I've been in the industry for many years like Mung. 
Nothing compares to to safety, longevity and overall quality for your $$$ that I've ever seen like them. 

You get what you pay for more often than not. 
Also, :doh: at Gobble