Sign in to follow this  
fatguylittlecoat

Build Depth, Wait On Key Positions

Here are just a few of my philosophies for this year's draft.  If you're not in a good spot to get the top 3 or 4 TE's, wait and I mean wait until your very last pick and go after a guy who has as much talent but there are too many question marks circling his season, ie, Chris Herndon.  

If you can't get the top 6 QB's, wait for a Matt Stafford, Trevor Lawrence and then back them up with a Trey Lance late.  That way you will be able to build valuable depth at both RB and WR.  LET'S HEAR YOUR PLAYERS YOU'RE GOING TO WAIT ON.  

44 minutes ago, fatguylittlecoat said:

Chris Herndon

Do NOT draft Chris Herndon, as he will likely be playing second fiddle to Tyler Kroft (but I wouldn't draft Kroft, either).

This has been a Public Service Announcement from the Elf Institute.

The top 10 TE you can get in the last round is, of course, C.J. Uzomah.

I traded up in my rookie draft for Trevor Lawrence, but that video on the front page of ESPN of him throwing a pass to tebow has me a bit concerned.  There was a simulated pocket and he dropped back and rolled left, but he didn't roll out until about 3 seconds after the snap.  The reason I'm concerned is if the jags are practicing like he's going to have 3 seconds in the pocket, he's going to get killed.

• Like 1

I wait for all players named, Qb , Te, Kicker, and Def, my last four picks, and then I stream until I land a winner for the rest of the season, and don’t worry, it’s a championship move. 

🤓

• Like 1

For me, the easiest position to stream or find a decent year long player post draft is the WR3 slot. For a long time I was in the stream qbs camp, but the past couple of years I’ve found myself getting torched at the qb position by those with the set and forget qbs. I now use the mid round draft pick that I tried to find my wr3, for a qb. When drafting my general strategy is to take as many rbs as I can, two receivers I feel good about, two or three fliers at receiver, a quality qb, and wait on te.

• Like 1

Agree on TE but you can get burned with sh1tty QBs. I’m willing to wait on a low end starter but don’t let yourself get into the QB15 range. I don’t find it that beneficial to wait so long anyway because you have to immediately turn around and draft your QB2 and maybe even 3, while others are picking up quality WR3s and potential gem RBs

• Like 1

Agree with Worms about QB. Used to be the gaps weren’t as big and you could just wing it on QB or even stream week to week. Now though if you aren’t a team with a QB pushing 40 total tds or cheating with rush yds there’s a big drop off.

I don’t advocate the early round QB but I’m going to be looking for Kyler in the early 4th and if I miss on him I’ll look for Tannehill Rnd 8 or so. Rodgers is interesting as well if this inexplicable discount of rnd 6 or so holds up. Mahomes I feel will be the mvp but in rnd 2-3 it’s just too much of a sacrifice on RB/WR compared to the value 4-5 rounds later. 

As for backups, assuming your league doesn’t force you to draft 2+ QB I never draft a backup, it’s a wasted spot that should go to a lottery ticket RB. Just stream backups if you want to go treasure hunting for waiver gold. Don’t follow the trap from 20 years ago where guys say “I’ll draft 2 QB then trade one.”. QBs have next to no trade value because everyone has one already they are fine with. No one will chop their wr/rb depth in half for your QB.

Streaming qbs is still the best move, and the right move, every season as the season goes along you will land a Qb that you’ll keep, I drafted Goff last season , and I only draft one, and when Herbert became the starter who was not drafted I picked him up and rolled. 

It still works.  

And same with te def and kickers , that won’t change, and I’m never the owner drafting those 4 th round qbs and tes and then scrambling later in the draft for those Rbs and WRs that never gain in value.  

This is a good year to stream qbs to me.  Some good late round qbs should be:

Stafford (7.11 adp) - you can't ask for a trade and go to a qb friendly offense and not play well.

Cousins (13.06) - just sit him in prime time and the bears if you have another option.  He carves up bad defenses.

Fitzpatrick (14.05) - great for best ball leagues since he has a tendency to blow up on any given week.  Washington is a good spot for him.  Mclaurin and he are going to click since Fitz loves to rip the deep ball.  

Stay-aways for me are Tua, Newton, Wentz, Watson, and Hurts.

Hurts is going to be drafted in my 14 team non ppr, but if isn’t he’s going to make for a good Qb to stream, and if Watson does play this season he’ll be another.  

Hurts has a 52% completion percentage and a year's worth of tape for teams to study.  He's going to be trash.

11 minutes ago, nobody said:

Hurts has a 52% completion percentage and a year's worth of tape for teams to study.  He's going to be trash.

Yup, seeing Tannehill ranked below hurts makes me laugh. I like his floor due to the rushing threat but he isnt a guy im targeting.

Yup Hurts isn’t going to be starting nfl Qb for long, but I’ll stream him in my 14 team league if he’s not drafted, but I think k he’ll be drafted, I like Hurts a lot week one Vs the Falcons, he’s going to produce ff points rushing. 

His last four games he completed only 49% of his passes, but he also avg 28 ff points a game, I’ll take those numbers every week as a ff owner . 

But from what I’ve been hearing he’s getting drafted as a qb2 a few owners are indeed interested in him. 

I draft 3 qbs none higher than round 9 and play matchups. Burrows,Stamford,Ryan and maybe Tannenhill should be available for my number 1.

On 8/1/2021 at 3:52 PM, Serenity Now said:

For me, the easiest position to stream or find a decent year long player post draft is the WR3 slot. For a long time I was in the stream qbs camp, but the past couple of years I’ve found myself getting torched at the qb position by those with the set and forget qbs. I now use the mid round draft pick that I tried to find my wr3, for a qb. When drafting my general strategy is to take as many rbs as I can, two receivers I feel good about, two or three fliers at receiver, a quality qb, and wait on te.

That's my same struggle, I see players like Dak or Hebert who will put up 300 yds more than not with multiple TD's, throw in some rushing yds for Dak and I see them both putting up 30 pts + week after week.  Big weeks are more frequent with a good QB and the difference is much greater than a good RB or WR, our scoring system gives 6 pts to QB for rushing or passing.  

Rallos waiver wire wr or scoop and play thread one of the better season threads.

14 hours ago, fatguylittlecoat said:

That's my same struggle, I see players like Dak or Hebert who will put up 300 yds more than not with multiple TD's, throw in some rushing yds for Dak and I see them both putting up 30 pts + week after week.  Big weeks are more frequent with a good QB and the difference is much greater than a good RB or WR, our scoring system gives 6 pts to QB for rushing or passing.  

I'm sure it's league dependent, but going against QBs that can drop 30+ points on any given week and are consistently in the mid 20's, while I throw out the Goff's of the world, has left me 10-15+ points behind at the position far too often recently. Meanwhile the WR 3 that used a mid round pick on might match or barely exceed the late round or waiver wire wr I pick up. You could get lucky and find the gem of the qb waiver wires, but for me it's easier and more likely to find a consistently start worthy wr. Maybe I'm just bad at finding qb's and good at finding wr's. Either way we should still play into our strengths. 

5 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

I'm sure it's league dependent, but going against QBs that can drop 30+ points on any given week and are consistently in the mid 20's, while I throw out the Goff's of the world, has left me 10-15+ points behind at the position far too often recently. Meanwhile the WR 3 that used a mid round pick on might match or barely exceed the late round or waiver wire wr I pick up. You could get lucky and find the gem of the qb waiver wires, but for me it's easier and more likely to find a consistently start worthy wr. Maybe I'm just bad at finding qb's and good at finding wr's. Either way we should still play into our strengths. 

It gets dire around QB15. Look at people in this thread thinking they can bank on the likes of Baker Mayfield and Kirk Cousins :( 

Only need to bank on the Mayfield and Cousins of the world once in a while, not a season commitment. 

And someone one owner will indeed drop of one those 30 point qbs at some point for some reason, and I’ll be there to pick him up and ride off into another victorious ff season.  

🧐

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

It gets dire around QB15. Look at people in this thread thinking they can bank on the likes of Baker Mayfield and Kirk Cousins :( 

What's changed for Cousins since he was the QB11 last season?  He averaged 20 points a week, and everyone's darling, Tannehill, averaged 21.9.  Herbert and Wilson were only around 23 pts per week.  He's only missed 1 game in the past 6 seasons.  Why wouldn't you bank on him?

Just sit Cousins for primetime games and you'll have a good starter.

28 plus points in five games for Cousins, very good stream option, thank you to those that draft qbs early and leave him for us streamers. 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:37 PM, nobody said:

I traded up in my rookie draft for Trevor Lawrence, but that video on the front page of ESPN of him throwing a pass to tebow has me a bit concerned.  There was a simulated pocket and he dropped back and rolled left, but he didn't roll out until about 3 seconds after the snap.  The reason I'm concerned is if the jags are practicing like he's going to have 3 seconds in the pocket, he's going to get killed.

Yep.  Dude is holding the ball way too long.