Cdub100

I blew my knee out last week.

Doing jiu-jitsu.

Rolling with a new white belt I had my legs wrapped around his legs (totally not g@y) he straightened his leg and I heard and felt something pop. 

I was on crutches for a few days and now I'm hobbling around. My leg is still swollen and hurts. I went to a knee doctor and he drained a lot of blood out of my leg and ordered an MRI which I can't get in for 2 weeks.

I'm totally focked aren't I? :(

• Sad 1

Bummer...hope it's like Giannis where it looked horrible, but he was back after a week.  Good luck.  

Thanks for the heads up...DND

Also, good luck.  Knee doctor gave no indications on what he thought the issue was?

15 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Doing jiu-jitsu.

Rolling with a new white belt I had my legs wrapped around his legs (totally not g@y) he straightened his leg and I heard and felt something pop. 

I was on crutches for a few days and now I'm hobbling around. My leg is still swollen and hurts. I went to a knee doctor and he drained a lot of blood out of my leg and ordered an MRI which I can't get in for 2 weeks.

Hearing and feeling a pop is usually no bueno.  Putting you on my DND list, sorry.  :( 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Bummer...hope it's like Giannis where it looked horrible, but he was back after a week.  Good luck.  

Prayers but that will teach him wrestling around with sweaty young men at his age.

25 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Thanks for the heads up...DND

Also, good luck.  Knee doctor gave no indications on what he thought the issue was?

He took some Xrays but didn't say much about it. I asked what he thought and he said he didn't think it was good.

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

Doing jiu-jitsu.

Define: "I'm totally focked aren't I?"

Odds are you tore your ACL and miniscus.  Possibly the MCL as well.  You're probably 3 months from surgery, maybe a bit less.  From there, you'll have about 2 months of physical therapy... maybe more if your insurance will cover it.  After that, you're looking at 6 to months more in a gyms rehabbing on your own.

In total, you're looking at 10-12 months.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Define: "I'm totally focked aren't I?"

Odds are you tore your ACL and miniscus.  Possibly the MCL as well.  You're probably 3 months from surgery, maybe a bit less.  From there, you'll have about 2 months of physical therapy... maybe more if your insurance will cover it.  After that, you're looking at 6 to months more in a gyms rehabbing on your own.

In total, you're looking at 10-12 months.

Yeah that sounds like I'm focked.

Doing jiu-jitsu.

This is why you don't do that at that age. I would be so focked for work if I did something like that.

Doing jiu-jitsu.

yikes, no fun.......get better soon

I personally have been on the couch for a week with gout, also had a broken ankle months ago.

36 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Yeah that sounds like I'm focked.

It's not terrible.  You'll have 3 options...

1. Do nothing.  By that, I mean, have the doctor go in and remove the torn ligament(s), and clean up the damaged tissue (the meniscus), and stitch you back up.
    • Pros:
      • Heal time is about 3 to 5 months.  You'll be perfectly fine otherwise.
      • Bowling, walking, running, horseshoes... that kind of thing - you're good to go.
    • Cons:
      • You're not going to be able to do very much athletically any more.
      •   Golf, football, skiing, jiu-jitsu... never again, sorry.
  2. Autograft surgery.
    • Pros:
      • They use your own cartilage to rebuild and repair the damaged ligaments and tissue.
      • Because the tissue is coming from your own body, it's actually looked at as the preferred route to take as you're going to have no complications from the surgery.  Well, none in the sense of your body not rejecting the repaired area.  It's the safest route to take.
      • Once healed, your body should be totally fine to do everything you once did before the injury.
      • Heal time for the "injured area", is faster.
    • Cons:
      • Surgery will take substantially longer.
      • You'll have more scar tissue and increases the chances of nerve damage.
      • Your repaired knee won't be as strong as the alternative.
      • Overall heal time for your body is about 12 to 15 months.  
  3. Allograft surgery (the alternative) - This is where they use donor tissue to repair the damaged area.  Generally, it's an Achilles tendon from a (fresh), cadaver - meaning, died in the last 48 hours.
    • Pros:
      • The Achilles tendon is much stronger than your ACL.  Now, it does lose some of it's strength during the transplant process, but you'll be at about 95% of your original strength.
      • Shorter surgery... about an hour to an hour 15... maybe even less if the area is really clean.  My guess for you is an hour and a half to 2 hours depending on the bleeding and how much damage is really there.  You could be looking at double that for the autograft option.
      • Heal time could be less than a year (9 or 10 months), odds are it'll be about 12.
    • Cons:
      • You're using a donor.  There's a chance of rejection.  The donor tissue won't be bad, but your body just may reject it and could lead to another surgery.
      • Pending on your insurance, it'll be a lot more expensive.

Taking the autograft or allograft options will still have the same net result.  At least 2 to 4 months of physical therapy and 6 to 10 months of personal therapy.  Afterwards, you'll be perfectly fine to resume all your pre-injury activities.  Also, your chances of arthritis will increase substantially.  Doesn't mean you'll get it, but you're more likely too.

This isn't a terrible thing.  Don't look at it that way.  Use it as an opportunity to be more health conscious.  I see a lot of patients totally turn their life around and are way better off after surgery.  They start doing more exercises, they start eating better, they're in better shape and health.  I've seen others be miserable, gain weight, and are worse off.  In both cases, it has nothing to do with the surgery, just how you deal with it.  I tore my ACL twice, and I'm still in excellent shape.  You can be as well, just be vigilant and do what you need to.  It's only a year or so.  I was playing flag football with the guys 9 months after surgery (the first time), 12 months after the incident.  It's not the end of the world.

22 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I personally have been on the couch for a week with gout, 

User name checks out

44 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

1. Do nothing.  By that, I mean, have the doctor go in and remove the torn ligament(s), and clean up the damaged tissue (the meniscus), and stitch you back up.
    • Pros:
      • Bowling, walking, running, horseshoes... that kind of thing - you're good to go.
    • Cons:
  2. Autograft surgery.
    • Pros:
      • They use your own cartilage to rebuild and repair the damaged ligaments and tissue.
      • Because the tissue is coming from your own body, it's actually looked at as the preferred route to take as you're going to have no complications from the surgery.  Well, none in the sense of your body not rejecting the repaired area.  It's the safest route to take.
      • Once healed, your body should be totally fine to do everything you once did before the injury.
    • Cons:
  3. Allograft surgery (the alternative) - This is where they use donor tissue to repair the damaged area.  Generally, it's an Achilles tendon from a (fresh), cadaver - meaning, died in the last 48 hours.
    • Pros:
      • The Achilles tendon is much stronger than your ACL.  Now, it does lose some of it's strength during the transplant process, but you'll be at about 95% of your original strength.
      • Shorter surgery... about an hour to an hour 15... maybe even less if the area is really clean.  My guess for you is an hour and a half to 2 hours depending on the bleeding and how much damage is really there.  You could be looking at double that for the autograft option.
      • Heal time could be less than a year (9 or 10 months), odds are it'll be about 12.
    • Cons:
      • You're using a donor.  There's a chance of rejection.  The donor tissue won't be bad, but your body just may reject it and could lead to another surgery.

Taking the autograft or allograft options will still have the same net result.  At least 2 to 4 months of physical therapy and 6 to 10 months of personal therapy.  Afterwards, you'll be perfectly fine to resume all your pre-injury activities.  Also, your chances of arthritis will increase substantially.  Doesn't mean you'll get it, but you're more likely too.

This isn't a terrible thing.  Don't look at it that way.  Use it as an opportunity to be more health conscious.  I see a lot of patients totally turn their life around and are way better off after surgery.  They start doing more exercises, they start eating better, they're in better shape and health.  I've seen others be miserable, gain weight, and are worse off.  In both cases, it has nothing to do with the surgery, just how you deal with it.  I tore my ACL twice, and I'm still in excellent shape.  You can be as well, just be vigilant and do what you need to.  It's only a year or so.  I was playing flag football with the guys 9 months after surgery (the first time), 12 months after the incident.  It's not the end of the world.

Don't bother with any of this.  Just use detachable shower head and rinse the sand out of your vag.

I went with the patellar option.  Felt like it took forever to fully recover, but 3 years later it feels 100%.

I hope you don't have a torn ACL.

53 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

• Pros:
    • Cons:
  2. Autograft surgery.
    • Pros:
    • Cons:
    • Pros:
    • Cons:

Which would you do?

12 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Which would you do?

Depends on what your age, weight, and what you want in your future.  If you're fine with horseshoes, corn hole, and bowling the rest of your life, just have the doctor clean out the area and go without an ACL.  It won't affect your quality of life.  You'll be perfectly fine, just that athletics will no longer be an option.

If you're going to get it replaced, listen to your doctor.  If he/she has a strong suggestion for you (can't hurt to get a second opinion regardless of what they say), and so what they say.  The doc knows more that you or I ever will about what you should do.

If the doc says "take your pick".  I'd choose the allgraft.  I never had issues after either surgery.  Both injuries were because of me/circumstances, not because of a bad surgery, ligament, or rehab.

25 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Which would you do?

If the MRI confirms a torn ACL and you want to be able to do all the things you did before the tear, do some research on surgeons...Meet with the best one and follow his/her recommendation.

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Depends on what your age, weight, and what you want in your future.  If you're fine with horseshoes, corn hole, and bowling the rest of your life, just have the doctor clean out the area and go without an ACL.  It won't affect your quality of life.  You'll be perfectly fine, just that athletics will no longer be an option.

If you're going to get it replaced, listen to your doctor.  If he/she has a strong suggestion for you (can't hurt to get a second opinion regardless of what they say), and so what they say.  The doc knows more that you or I ever will about what you should do.

If the doc says "take your pick".  I'd choose the allgraft.  I never had issues after either surgery.  Both injuries were because of me/circumstances, not because of a bad surgery, ligament, or rehab.

I think he is trying to get a read on if he can do all of his other gay activities.

12 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I think he is trying to get a read on if he can do all of his other gay activities.

Well, depending on which "gay" activities, he may have to do some adjustment.  Odds are, the doctor will tell him to avoid putting weight on his knees.  May encourage some experimentation.

Don’t work yourself into a tizzy until you get the MRI. Lot’s of times things look worse than they are.

I had a meniscus tear to my left knee when  I was in my late 20’s. Swelled up pretty bad and couldn’t walk on it for days. Had outpatient surgery and was fine a few months later. Today, I run/hike and am very active. I would be lying if I said it doesn’t twinge from time to time, but for the most part it’s fine. I also wear a compression sleeve and a patella strap for running. 

Good luck! :cheers:

Had this in HS...Blood over the knee.  Was suggested i get scoped, which was still kinda new at the time..I didn't.  Now my knee will pop and hurt from time to time.

Do I get the second opinion before or after the MRI?

8 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Hearing and feeling a pop is usually no bueno.  Putting you on my DND list, sorry.  :( 

I put him on the DNR list 

Amputate from the neck down hth 

15 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Sorry. I blew my knee once. Couldn’t reach my cack.

Did it make a pop sound like 🧨

1 minute ago, nospk said:

Did it make a pop sound like 🧨

No. But I realized why wemens don’t swallow.

Don’t worry there must be a one-legged jew jitsue club 

36 minutes ago, nospk said:

Don’t worry there must be a one-legged jew jitsue club 

Well you know those Jews like everything half off.

Very sorry to hear you were injured. Long rehabs are a biotch. I came out of institutional rehab in January 2020. I continue to repair, but have plenty of room to improve. 

14 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Do I get the second opinion before or after the MRI?

Definitely after.  You need to results of the MRI to take to any doctor you see, otherwise they'll just order another one.  Odds are that your insurance carrier will probably reject it unless the doctor says the first one was faulty.

Looking at my MRI.... no clue what I"m seeing. 

6 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Couldn't wait for the doc to interpret it

I was interested. I talked to the tech and said it's no problem to look at it.

I tried to watch some YouTube videos but they aren't helping.

So the Doctor is referring me to his partner because this is "beyond" him.

-MCL is torn, but the good news is it's where the blood comes in and can repair itself

- My knee cap was jammed into my bone causing a fracture or bruise... I don't remember what he said.

He kept saying my knee is trashed but didn't give me more info. I guess I'll know more with this other guy. Next appointment Monday. 

4 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

So the Doctor is referring me to his partner because this is "beyond" him.

-MCL is torn, but the good news is it's where the blood comes in and can repair itself

- My knee cap was jammed into my bone causing a fracture or bruise... I don't remember what he said.

He kept saying my knee is trashed but didn't give me more info. I guess I'll know more with this other guy. Next appointment Monday. 

thats what you want to hear at the doc..its trashed, you're effed..very helpful

3 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

thats what you want to hear at the doc..its trashed, you're effed..very helpful

My thoughts too.