Cretins

Keeper preference: Cook or Hill?

Looking for input to help make up my mind here. Keeper league where we keep 4 players.  I can keep either Dalvin Cook in round 1 or Tyreek Hill in round 2.  Whoever I let go will not make it back to me.   [Edit: Non-PPR league]

For consideration, other keepers are likely going to be...

Nick Chubb (round 7)

Kyler Murray (round 8 )

David Montgomery (round 4) or Chase Edmonds (round 11)

Not having a WR keeper is making me lean towards Hill, but letting Cook go is painful.  He's done me well the past couple of seasons. 

Other WR's being let go because their keeper value is earlier than their current ADP:

Chris Godwin (5), Diontae Johnson (6), Tee Higgins (8)

Non D Cook

Ppr Hill. 

At least you know Hill will be there for the playoffs, whereas Dalvin Cook owners will be without him for an extra week this year, because it's a 17 game season.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, Cretins said:

Looking for input to help make up my mind here. Keeper league where we keep 4 players.  I can keep either Dalvin Cook in round 1 or Tyreek Hill in round 2.  Whoever I let go will not make it back to me.   [Edit: Non-PPR league]

For consideration, other keepers are likely going to be...

Nick Chubb (round 7)

Kyler Murray (round 8 )

David Montgomery (round 4) or Chase Edmonds (round 11)

Not having a WR keeper is making me lean towards Hill, but letting Cook go is painful.  He's done me well the past couple of seasons. 

Other WR's being let go because their keeper value is earlier than their current ADP:

Chris Godwin (5), Diontae Johnson (6), Tee Higgins (8)

is it possible to ditch Chubb and Keep Cook, Hill, Murray, and Montgomery?

with Kareem Hunt there I dont like his upside as much.  Granted at a 7th round pick its good value but at the end of the day your high end talent has to count for more, and both Hill and Cook are exactly that.   the fact you dont get either back if you dont keep em, means something.    

And the high end talent wins you more drafts than the middling talents out there ever will.

another option would be to keep Chubb and ditch Kyler Murray instead. 

though I dont know the rules of your league, so I'm just guessing standard league with 1 QB starting.

in a 2 QB or superflex league, Murray is far more valuable, so you wanna keep him if that is the case.   But Keeping a QB can be a questionable move when you start only one.

and if you look at the fftoday rankings, how much of a difference is there in the bottom line between Murray (the 4th ranked QB) or Aaron Rodgers ranked at #7?  Less than one fantasy point per game.

The dropoff from both Chubb and Hill is likely larger if you dont keep them than the dropoff from Kyler Murray would be if you dont keep him.  To me, this means Murray may be the guy you shouldnt keep.

so the scenario where you Keep Hill, Cook, Chubb and Montgomery may be your best option.

with round 1 and 2 gone, round 3-4 can get you the 2 best WR's you can get, and in round 5 you grab the best QB on the board. 

At that point the best QB on the board could possibly be Murray, Jackson, Prescott or Aaron Rodgers.  all good choices.  Nothing wrong with any of them.

and you will have the depth at RB.  if you have an injury, people are always willing to trade for a top 15 RB.  so from a planning perspective you can fill any hole in your roster via trade (in theory)

Trust me, come mid season the value of healthy RB's is significant and if you have an injury, you will be happy to have 3 reliable RB's.   

WR's are dime a dozen because there are a lot of them.   you really only need one stud.   Hill is your guy

On 8/16/2021 at 12:38 AM, Ray_T said:

is it possible to ditch Chubb and Keep Cook, Hill, Murray, and Montgomery?

Being able to keep both Hill and Cook would completely change the situation and there'd be no question, but this is a situation where I can keep one or the other, not both.  The dynamics to the league rules using a franchise tag option is too complicated to get into here. Suffice to say it's setup to force talent back into the draft pool.  In this case I have to let one go. 

13 hours ago, Cretins said:

Being able to keep both Hill and Cook would completely change the situation and there'd be no question, but this is a situation where I can keep one or the other, not both.  The dynamics to the league rules using a franchise tag option is too complicated to get into here. Suffice to say it's setup to force talent back into the draft pool.  In this case I have to let one go. 

ok well, Ill take your word for it.  I thought I'd make the suggestion anyways  but if the rules dont allow it, they dont allow it.

good luck man.