Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Pre-Season Overreactions/Observations

Chase Young will have 25 sacks this year. Washington D will be the one to own in Fantasy...

Najee Harris 2000/20.

Love H'Ertz (Hurts to Ertz); no one has been drafting Ertz; I wonder how far this game shoots him up the ADP ladder...

If your league uses punters, draft Pressley Harvin III in the 5th round.

He 9-ironed a 48-yard punt (his first NFL attempt) on the 1 yard line against the Cowboys last week, and then in the 4th quarter, fired a line-drive punt that the returner muffed and the Steelers recovered.

His first two punts tonight have been downed at the 1 and the 7, respectively.

Oh, and he was the Steelers' 7th round draft pick.

Damien Harris facts from the broadcast:

Opposing defenses put 8 in the box against the Patriots 44% of the time in 2020, daring them to run.

Damien Harris averaged 5.0 yards per carry on 137 carries in 2020.

You non-PPR people KNOW you want him!

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Opposing defenses put 8 in the box against the Patriots 44% of the time in 2020, daring them to run.

I just took him... in a PPR league!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike FF Today said:

I just took him... in a PPR league!

I've added him as a RB4 in a few PPR best balls... but nothing where he'd be a regular starter in a managed league.

I don’t make preseason overreactions, I understand perspective and context. As for observations, Mac Jones is better than Cam and should be the QB.

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm a little behind on the DVR here... but OMG!  That Damien Harris run at 5:05 of the 1st quarter??!!!?!?

There were NINE in the box for the Patriots' 1st & 10 from the vaunted Washington Football Team's defense...  Harris takes the ball in the backfield, heading toward the line of scrimmage, then cuts to the strong side and just outruns the entire defense, including the safety that came over to help, for an 11 yard gain to the 3.

Jonnu Smith was called for holding, but Harris essentially beat 10 out of the 11 defenders on that play.  Did I mention it was the vaunted Washington Football Team's defense?

33 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

As for observations, Mac Jones is better than Cam and should be the QB.

Meh.  I observed Jones underthrowing about 50% of the passes he threw tonight.

First game, jitters, sure... but he's not ready to start over Cam yet.

Not that being better than Cam is a hard bar to get over or anything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Rhamondre 👀

Hopefully that 4th quarter will act as bait to get the noobs...

1) ...drafting Rhamondre Stevenson and leaving the quality players for the rest of us, and...

2) ...depressing Damien Harris' value even more than it already is.

Quez Watkins could've had two long TDs.  He beat his man and Jalen Hurts just barely overthrew him for what would've been a 98 yard TD.  Then later he took the bubble screen 70+ yards.  Only two targets he got.

This Pittsburgh o-line is killing Najee.  They're a penalty factory.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

1) ...drafting Rhamondre Stevenson and leaving the quality players for the rest of us, and...

2) ...depressing Damien Harris' value even more than it already is.

Agree for the most part. I'm probably avoiding all NE RBs anyway I don't expect that offense to be good. Ironically I was reading up on him last night. He's a big boy around 240 lbs and he looked quick enough on that 91 yard run. He's not going to unseat Harris anytime soon but Michel could be in deep trouble. 

35 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Agree for the most part. I'm probably avoiding all NE RBs anyway I don't expect that offense to be good.

Harris is the only one I see any real value in, and that as a RB4 with some upside.  That said, I have a couple shares of James White as a RB6 in those deep 24-player RTSports Best Ball Championship teams, just for his two 2-TD games.

I would agree, avoid Pats Rbs , been that way for a long time, that’s one thing about Stevenson, he’s basically free.  

If you play a deep bench he’s worthy to be the last one on it.  

14 team non ppr, we only have a five player bench, so if you play a deeper bench , yea I would get him. 

It works!

It works!

As much as I like Damien Harris, he was always a DND for me. Belichick will find creative ways to keep the ball out of his hands as usual. There's no guarantee Harris gets the goalline work considering he's not that big and Cam Newton is still there. Newton is the ultimate TD vulture.

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

As much as I like Damien Harris, he was always a DND for me. Belichick will find creative ways to keep the ball out of his hands as usual. There's no guarantee Harris gets the goalline work considering he's not that big and Cam Newton is still there. Newton is the ultimate TD vulture.

I think you've pretty much nailed it on the head.  That said, I'll take him late in my keeper league and stash him until next year when Jones is the full time QB.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Najee Harris 2000/20.

Love H'Ertz (Hurts to Ertz); no one has been drafting Ertz; I wonder how far this game shoots him up the ADP ladder...

Don't see that happening for Harris. The O-line just isn't good enough for him to achieve those numbers. I could however see him getting 1400-1500.yds & 12 touchdowns. He's talented no doubt. I'd say the odds are against him getting 2000 yds & 20 tds. He's definitely top 10 material though for a rookie.

5 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think you've pretty much nailed it on the head.  That said, I'll take him late in my keeper league and stash him until next year when Jones is the full time QB.

I realize you guys like to play amateur GMs, but when a coach like Bill Belichick, who ALWAYS focuses on "team effort" rather than individual performances, starts raving about a guy, you have to put your egos aside and see which way the wind is blowing.

Damien Harris Breakout Season

"When Bill Belichick of all people is talking you up. it's safe to say there should be some optimism. Earlier in camp, the head coach commended running back Damien Harris' work ethic over the course of the offseason and even previewed an expanded role heading into 2021. 

"I think Damien's a player that improved a lot from year one to year two," Belichick told reporters back in late July. "This year, he's in a little different role. Now he has an opportunity to compete for a lead spot and so he has embraced that. He's worked hard. He's been here since the day after the season was over. He has worked as hard as anyone has in the offseason. I'm sure that'll help his preparation. Heading into this camp, we'll see how he does. He's worked extremely hard. He's a very dedicated player. I've been impressed by the commitment he has shown."

For a coach who routinely doesn't like to single out any given players, Belichick talking about Harris taking on the "lead role" certainly raises some eyebrows for what could be a promising third season in the league. We've already seen that Harris is capable of putting up numbers. In his 10 games played (all starts) in 2020, he averaged 5 yards per carry and totaled 743 yards from scrimmage. 

If he does take on the starting job and leads the backfield in touches, Harris should have no problem getting over a thousand yards rushing, especially with what may be an elite offensive line in front of him."

1 hour ago, DocNiner said:

He's talented no doubt. I'd say the odds are against him getting 2000 yds & 20 tds.

Check the thread title.

"Jacksonville Jaguars QBs Trevor Lawrence and Gardner Minshew are in a open competition to start in Week 1 of the regular season, head coach Urban Meyer said Thursday, Aug. 12."

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

14 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Might want him in ppr also

hoodie will get him some dump offs

Just now, DrG said:

Might want him in ppr also

hoodie will get him some dump offs

It would be nice, but with 5 career receptions to his name so far, I'm not banking on it.

Think of it as asymmetric upside 

if he’s worked that hard in the off season there will be a few more air targets red zone screens etc

Don’t trust coach talk, not in March and not in July and not in October, and the hoody tops the list of coaches not to listen to. 

I have been more of a believer in Harris than most people i would say. He still plays for the Pats unfortunately. Bill will still put someone else in who isn't as good as Harris too often

The only way I see that changing is if Hoody gets desperate to start saving his end of career legacy. The odds are slim though. Someone as old as Bill with as much success as he has had, he will stick to the same plan. Harris was not drafted to be a main carry guy, so it will stay that way

If Harris has a break out type season, I’m giving you all the credit, you have been the biggest spokesperson for mr Harris. And I for one respect that. 

You can tell how a season is going to go by the first series of the year... (to paraphrase Major League)

Lions first series:

1st down:  Goff throws short right incomplete; batted down but should have been intercepted.

2nd down:  Run Jamaal Williams up the middle for zero yards (a half-yard loss, axually).

3rd down:  Goff is sacked for a loss of 11.

Yep, that's probly about how their season will go.

• Haha 1

The defense comes on the field, and promptly allows a 15 yard run up the middle to Singletary (but it was called back for holding).

On 1st and 17, the Lions again allow a 15 yard run up the middle for Singletary.

After a few more great runs by Singletary, but another penalty, Trubisky finally kills the drive when he is forced to pass on 3rd and 6 and throws low; Bills settle for a FG.

Gonna be fun to see who is worse--Trubisky or the Lions' D.  lol

I'm just here to see what Jermar Jefferson can do against some 3rd stringers.

Welp, guess I got my final last-round share of Amon-Ra St. Brown today.

He should be more like a 14th-15th-rounder now.

I might be ahead of you since I'm watching the 3rd quarter, and I didn't see what play you're talking about, but at least he doesn't put up many stats for the 1st half.

7 minutes ago, nobody said:

I might be ahead of you since I'm watching the 3rd quarter, and I didn't see what play you're talking about, but at least he doesn't put up many stats for the 1st half.

Yeah, I'm behind on the DVR.  He had 3 catches so far on their second drive... one was a 2 yard out--he had like three yards of separation--the 2nd was a 12 yard crossing pattern over the middle, but it was called back on a penalty, then there was another 10-12 yard out where he had tons of separation... and all the time the announcers are gushing about the chemistry in camp between Goff and St. Brown.

Tyrell Williams was targeted a lot too, but I'm liking my shares of St. Brown a lot.  I'm just afraid the cat is out of the bag now.

(Oh, and I don't watch the second halves of preseason games.)