Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Pre-Season Overreactions/Observations

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

(Oh, and I don't watch the second halves of preseason games.)

I wanted to see Jefferson, but this is just a comedy of errors.

Nothing fantasy-relevant ever happens in the second half of preseason games.  You only end up convincing yourself that maybe Rhamondre Stevenson is worth a late round flyer after all.

The Bills are running the wheels off of Singletary, for a first preseason game.

He's being spelled largely by Breida (the NFL''s fastest ball-carrier in 2018 and 2019).

Hmmm...   Breida...

Looks like Dedrick Mills did something.  That's nice to see.  He's such a deep sleeper, I didn't even bother putting him in my deep sleeper list.  Runningback out of Nebraska.  Kind of reminds me of James Robinson.  MFL didn't even have him in the list of players when I tired to add him to my watch list last June. 

As you can imagine with how many rookies and UDFAs I talk about watching, my watch list is legion.  This is pretty much in the order I added them to starting in about April.

I'm going to share the sacred list buried here where few will find it.

Hyde, Carlos JAC RB Underrated back in my opinion with experience that everyone seems to think is just going to chill on the sideline for some reason
Reed, Joe LAC WR Kind of a gadget player guy.  He's been pretty bad so far this offseason, so I don't expect much from him
Gandy-Golden, Antonio WAS WR Big 2nd year guy that I just wanted to keep tabs on in case he ever pulled his head out of his ass due to the draft capital Washington used on him
Johnson, Ty NYJ RB Put him here when the Jets runningback room was a little murkier.  I don't think he's going to do much this season
Greenlaw, Dre SFO LB (Q) Every down linebackers are hard to come by, but he's a coverage guy so he doesn't get many tackle opportunities
Boone, Mike DEN RB (Q) I liked him ever since he was an UDFA with the Vikings, but he just hurt his quad, so it's probably all she wrote for Mr. Boone.
Moss, Thaddeus CIN TE The Bengals were collecting LSU tigers, so I wanted to see if Moss would get any buzz.  The buzz is mostly that he sucks
Long, Hunter MIA TE (Q) Rookie that had some draft pedigree, but he's been hurt mostly, so I don't think he'll do much
Adams, Jonathan FA WR I liked this guy out of South Alabama, but he osmehow got cut on like Day 3 of OTAs which means he probably showed up late and then had ana ttitude about it.
Ragas, Trey LVR RB Elijah Mitchell's running mate at ULALA.  He's the thunder to Elijah's lightning.  He doesn't have much wiggle, but he can run over a guy and he's fast, so I thought he might make some noise.  Haven't heard much about him all camp
Terry, Tamorrion FA WR I didn't understand why he wasn't drafted and he ended up going to Seattle.  Then it came out that he was involved in some serious crime and they cut him.  Now the undrafted part makes more sense.
Patterson, Jaret WAS RB I like this guy and was happy to see him show well in the 1st preseason game.  He's one of my sleeper picks
Gay, Willie KCC LB (Q) Just another possible every down linebacker I'm keeping tabs on
McCrary, Nate BAL RB Ravens knows how to scout RBs.  McCrary was a man among boys at Saginaw Valley St, but I think there's just too much firepower in Baltimore for him to even get a real look
Westbrook, Dede MIN WR (Q) I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope for Dede.  He slipped in the draft because of attitude issues and actually had a decent rookie year in Jacksonville, but then he kind of fell off the map.  He has the athletic ability.  I just don't think he has the mental.
Okereke, Bobby IND LB Ended up picking him up on my roster.  I think with Anthony Walker in Cleveland, Okereke will have a chance to rack up some tackles
Marable, CJ CHI RB Coastal Carolina guy that I think has adequate speed and vision and nice wiggle to make defenders miss.  I haven't heard anything about him out of Bears camp though
Browning, Baron DEN LB (O) I can probably drop him from the list.
Jones, Xavier LAR RB Drafted him last year as an UDFA out of SMU in my rookie draft, so I already liked him before Akers went down.  I think he can carve out a role.  Problem is Jake Funk is pretty good too.  He's actually currently on the roster
Duvernay, Devin BAL WR 2nd year WR out of Texas.  Has a good size speed combination, but doesn't really get that separation needed at this level.  I'm just tracking him to see if he develops into something.  He was getting some decent buzz out of camp, and I think Bateman will probably be out awhile, so the door is open.
Johnson, Tyron LAC WR (Q) Speedster that's been having a good camp, but has cooled off as of late.  I thought he might overtake Guyton as the designated deep threat.
Collins, Alex SEA RB Big and fast.  I doubt he'll ever put it all together but I dare to dream
Winfree, Juwann GBP WR Having a good camp but crowded depth chart
Guice, Derrius FA RB (S) Just got some of his legal troubles squashed and received a 6 game suspension.  He was a pretty good runningback before it came out he was raping people
Baker, Kawaan NOS WR I thought he'd have an opportunity to carve out a role given the dearth of talent at WR in NO, but it seems like he's having trouble with the playbook.  Currently on roster (at least for now)
Jackson, DeSean LAR WR Reunited with his old offensive coaching staff where he had some good years.  He's been doing well in camp.  Currently on roster
Curl, Kamren WAS S I just love this guy.  7th round pick last year got a shot when landon collins went down and played like a pro-bowler.  Currently on roster and it looks like they moved him to free safety so he can keep his starting job.
Taylor, Patrick GBP RB Oft-injured counterpart to my guy Kylin Hill.  I'm just keeping tabs on him in case he starts getting some buzz
Amani Hooker A safety I think people are sleeping on
Proche, James BAL WR Good reports out of camp and injuries are allowing him more opportunities.
Parkinson, Colby SEA TE (D) 2nd year guy out of Stanford.  He's a great pass catcher and he was tearing up camp so I wanted to watch him, but he broke his foot again.
Walker, Anthony CLE LB Another linebacker that I'm thinking about picking up
McKinnon, Jerick KCC RB I feel like he might carve out a decent pass catching role on the chiefs, but I was going to monitor if he was actually used anywhere near the first string
Johnson, Josh SEA RB I liked him coming out of Louisisana Monroe but he seems to be slow picking up the NFL game.  I am looking forward to seeing what he does in a 4th quarter preseason game though
Camp, Jalen JAC WR Another rookie that has been showing well in camp
Valdes-Scantling, Marquez GBP WR Just tracking him because he might be good to fill out the backend of the roster as someone who's actually done something in the NFL.  I actually had him on my team most of last year, but finally dropped him because he's too damn hit or miss and got tired of trying to get a good game out of him.
[redacted] I have a waiver claim in for this person, so I'd prefer not to mention him at this time.  Dropping Colby Parkinson's injured buns.

That doesn't include some of the less sleepy sleepers like Kylin Hill, Jermar Jefferson, Josh Palmer although I'm pretty close to cutting bait on Jefferson.  I think Kylin is an Aaron Jones injury from being the pass catching back in GB, so I'll probably keep him around into the season, and I've professed my adoration for Josh Palmer quite fervently, so obviously he isn't going anywhere.  I actually traded up for Palmer in my rookie draft I liked him so much, so it's nice to see he's doing well so far.

And there are a few other guys I like that just ended up on other teams.  Amon_Ra St Brown... Elijah Mitchell to name 2. 

I din't read all that--I typically only concern myself with players who are fantasy-relevant in redraft leagues--but if you don't know the reason why Carlos Hyde will do nothing but chill on the sideline, I'll tell you.  It's because Travis Etienne is such a great RB.  If they hadn't drafted him, Hyde might have carved out a role as the goalline back or something--but with Etienne as an option, Meyer would be crazy to turn to Hyde for anything other than emergency usage.

Not that I think Meyer will use Etienne to the exclusion of Robinson, but between the healthy two of them, there's not much room left for Hyde.

Kind of an odd little segue on the NFL Network between the Bills game and the Cardinals game...  they were showing both games on a split screen until Buffalo hits the game-winning FG, and then the announcers are talking about the comeback led by Jake Fromm, "and now to State Farm stadium" (the Cardinals' stadium)...

How does Jake Fromm not have an endorsement deal with State Farm yet?

Rondale Moore getting a lot of looks in the 1st Q--in the absence of Murray and Hopkins, of course.  But they're sure putting him through his paces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Rondale Moore getting a lot of looks in the 1st Q--in the absence of Murray and Hopkins, of course.  But they're sure putting him through his paces.

Moore is getting a lot of hype here in az, but I doubt any wr will be worth more than a spot start outside of Hopkins. The gm is so bad at scouting and drafting I think it’ll be a committee of meh wrs outside of Hopkins. 

Malcolm Brown looks just as terrible as I remembered him being. Don't know if that helps Gaskin, but it doesn't hurt...

Tua to Gesicki could actually be a thing this season...

Of course that helps Gaskin, who’s better then M Brown, and they didn’t pick up Brown to replace, or even challenge Gaskin as their rb1. 

They picked up M Brown to take a few steps and fall into the end zone, much like Gurley did with the Falcons last season.  

• Haha 1

Only his first two possessions of his career, but Justin Fields didn't look like a guy ready to be the starter (2-5, 10 yards). 

The Bears. 

No one throws a better deep ball then Lock. 

I don’t think Fields starts until the bears are either eliminated from the playoffs , or Dalton goes down, but from what I read, Fields had a very good first outing.  

20 hours ago, AxeElf said:

You can tell how a season is going to go by the first series of the year... (to paraphrase Major League)

Lions first series:

1st down:  Goff throws short right incomplete; batted down but should have been intercepted.

2nd down:  Run Jamaal Williams up the middle for zero yards (a half-yard loss, axually).

3rd down:  Goff is sacked for a loss of 11.

Yep, that's probly about how their season will go.

Better grab Quez Watkins now

Fields 2038 HOF induction. He’ll be going in the same year as Brady 😎

42 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Watching the same game? Fields had multiple highlight plays. 

Against the last of the dolphins starters still in there he looked like a rookie. The fact that he did better against the JV squad is not all that surprising…

Bears and Dolphins.

Montgomery looked sluggish on his first carry, but managed to change direction and make 3 yards out of nothing--props for that--then limped off and did not return.  Damien Williams came in and promptly bounced a carry outside for an 11 yard gain--nullified by penalty.  The Bears backfield is going to be more of a committee than Montgomery owners want to admit (and we haven't even added Cohen into the mix yet).  Let's hope that limp was nothing.

Malcolm Brown didn't make a thunderous case for himself as the short yardage back, at least at the goalline (although he did convert a 4th and 1), but I don't think the offensive line was helping things much--neither Gaskin nor Ahmed were particularly effective running the ball either.  Gaskin had a 14 yard run, but went 3 for 5 otherwise.  Ahmed looked better in the passing game, catching a TD while Gaskin bobbled and dropped a pass that could have been an INT after he bobbled it.  The Dolphins backfield is going to be more of a committee than Gaskin owners want to admit.

Don't tell the mouthbreathers, though.  Let them continue to gobble up the red herrings like Montgomery and Gaskin in the 3rd round, leaving Chris Carson for us.

Tua looked rough at times, but also made some crisp throws that showed promise, in my opinion, and I'm not particularly a fan.  Part of the "roughness" was also due to the O-line problems that plagued the RBs--but that was a good thing for Gesicki, as the pressure made Tua look for his dumpoff target frequently.  I am slightly more hopeful for Miami WRs than I was before, based on Tua's performance; it will be interesting to see them all on the field at the same time.

When a college with a rich tradition of producing NFL QBs like Ohio State graduates a prospect to an NFL team with a rich tradition of drafting college QBs like the Bears, one should feel justified in reserving their judgment of Justin Fields.  Now, I don't watch the second halves of preseason games (nothing fantasy-relevant ever happens in the second halves of preseason games), but against first-half competition, Fields was first spooked on a blitz and lofted up a pass that was dropped by a defender, and then promptly fumbled the ball on the next play (fortunately it went out of bounds).

So I don't think it's too early at this point to declare Fields a bust in the NFL.

Broncos and Vikings

Hard to tell much, since the Vikings din't play many (any?) starters, but I'll oblige @Mike FF Today with the Drew Lock overreaction.  I thought he managed to put up some pretty sparkly games last season as a 2nd year QB, while battling injuries, losing Sutton, and having a receiving corps consisting of 2 rookie WRs, a journeyman of no particular talent (Patrick) and a 2nd year TE--all with no preseason and precious little practice.

With another year of experience and a full offseason for everyone involved--and the return of Sutton--I would have been all over Lock this year, if they hadn't brought in Bridgewater.  Just having that competition makes Lock a pretty undesirable draft target, and basically undraftable in best balls--so I have zero shares--but I would still hope that Lock is the favorite to win the job.  I guess we'll see what Teddy does with the #1s next week.

In watching Lock closely last season, I thought the WR he developed the best chemistry with was Hamler--and that was borne out in this early action this year--so I do think it helps Hamler's stock if Lock starts.

I must also say that I was kind of skeptical of the Javonte Williams hype.  Kinda reminded me of the "Rolls" Royce Freeman hype from a couple of years ago.  But he looked quick and aggressive, and much better than I remember Gordon looking last year.  So I think that hype is probly legit.  I don't know that I will draft him, because I have WR targets at his ADP (like Aiyuk and Golladay), but at least I see the attraction now.  You may not want to start him right out of the gate, but as a RB4, he looks like he could pay off a handsome ROI later in the season.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Bears and Dolphins.

Montgomery looked sluggish on his first carry, but managed to change direction and make 3 yards out of nothing--props for that--then limped off and did not return.  Damien Williams came in and promptly bounced a carry outside for an 11 yard gain--nullified by penalty.  The Bears backfield is going to be more of a committee than Montgomery owners want to admit (and we haven't even added Cohen into the mix yet).  Let's hope that limp was nothing.

Malcolm Brown didn't make a thunderous case for himself as the short yardage back, at least at the goalline (although he did convert a 4th and 1), but I don't think the offensive line was helping things much--neither Gaskin nor Ahmed were particularly effective running the ball either.  Gaskin had a 14 yard run, but went 3 for 5 otherwise.  Ahmed looked better in the passing game, catching a TD while Gaskin bobbled and dropped a pass that could have been an INT after he bobbled it.  The Dolphins backfield is going to be more of a committee than Gaskin owners want to admit.

Don't tell the mouthbreathers, though.  Let them continue to gobble up the red herrings like Montgomery and Gaskin in the 3rd round, leaving Chris Carson for us.

Tua looked rough at times, but also made some crisp throws that showed promise, in my opinion, and I'm not particularly a fan.  Part of the "roughness" was also due to the O-line problems that plagued the RBs--but that was a good thing for Gesicki, as the pressure made Tua look for his dumpoff target frequently.  I am slightly more hopeful for Miami WRs than I was before, based on Tua's performance; it will be interesting to see them all on the field at the same time.

When a college with a rich tradition of producing NFL QBs like Ohio State graduates a prospect to an NFL team with a rich tradition of drafting college QBs like the Bears, one should feel justified in reserving their judgment of Justin Fields.  Now, I don't watch the second halves of preseason games (nothing fantasy-relevant ever happens in the second halves of preseason games), but against first-half competition, Fields was first spooked on a blitz and lofted up a pass that was dropped by a defender, and then promptly fumbled the ball on the next play (fortunately it went out of bounds).

So I don't think it's too early at this point to declare Fields a bust in the NFL.

Nice Post! Now this version of the elf I can get behind:thumbsup:

Never get behind an elf. 

14 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Broncos and Vikings

Hard to tell much, since the Vikings din't play many (any?) starters, but I'll oblige @Mike FF Today with the Drew Lock overreaction.  I thought he managed to put up some pretty sparkly games last season as a 2nd year QB, while battling injuries, losing Sutton, and having a receiving corps consisting of 2 rookie WRs, a journeyman of no particular talent (Patrick) and a 2nd year TE--all with no preseason and precious little practice.

With another year of experience and a full offseason for everyone involved--and the return of Sutton--I would have been all over Lock this year, if they hadn't brought in Bridgewater.  Just having that competition makes Lock a pretty undesirable draft target, and basically undraftable in best balls--so I have zero shares--but I would still hope that Lock is the favorite to win the job.  I guess we'll see what Teddy does with the #1s next week.

In watching Lock closely last season, I thought the WR he developed the best chemistry with was Hamler--and that was borne out in this early action this year--so I do think it helps Hamler's stock if Lock starts.

I must also say that I was kind of skeptical of the Javonte Williams hype.  Kinda reminded me of the "Rolls" Royce Freeman hype from a couple of years ago.  But he looked quick and aggressive, and much better than I remember Gordon looking last year.  So I think that hype is probly legit.  I don't know that I will draft him, because I have WR targets at his ADP (like Aiyuk and Golladay), but at least I see the attraction now.  You may not want to start him right out of the gate, but as a RB4, he looks like he could pay off a handsome ROI later in the season.

It’s about time you notice talent, J Williams is going to be a rb2.  

Plenty of room for you , welcome aboard. 

Welcome. 

Jaguars and Browns.

Browns didn't show much, but Peoples-Jones was given full opportunity to secure the #3 WR role; he should be the favorite so far.

Trevor Lawrence looked good; not great.  It appears the rumors of Marvin Jones being his best receiver in camp are founded.  I was a little surprised Etienne din't see a few more touches--1 carry for 2 yards?

Still hard for me to actively target any Jaguars other than maybe Etienne in best ball, but Jones might be a profitable late-round flyer.

5 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Its Trey day in the Trey area!

Wow! Now that was impressive. Lock and Fields, meh

4 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Fields first game 

14-for-20, 142 yards, 1 TD, 106.7

5 carries, 33 yards, 1 TD

He looked really good. People come into a thread and throw out comments about his first two series ever in the NFL given all of his receivers were absolutely blanketed by great miami def. backs and they whine he is terrible. Some people just don't know how to see football.

5 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

He looked really good. People come into a thread and throw out comments about his first two series ever in the NFL given all of his receivers were absolutely blanketed by great miami def. backs and they whine he is terrible. Some people just don't know how to see football.

If you want a silver lining at least he looked better than mitchy…

35 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

People come into a thread and throw out comments about his first two series ever in the NFL given all of his receivers were absolutely blanketed by great miami def. backs and they whine he is terrible. Some people just don't know how to see football.

Check the thread title.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Check the thread title.

Topic within a thread. It happens. As it has already happened with other QBs.  Comment on it or don't.

Utilit99 has spoken.

Chiefs and 49ers

The 49ers ran the wheels off of Sermon in the first half; 8 carries for a meh 21 yards, and he also had 2 receptions (on 2 targets) for 14 yards.  He didn't look particularly special, but he got what was there.

Deebo caught the first pass, but Aiyuk was featured after that.  Fortunately, the only thing that box score readers will see from Aiyuk is 0 receptions on 1 target, but he also had a 9 yard reception nullified by penalty, and gained 8 rushing yards on an end-around as well.  So hopefully his ADP won't be affected much.

Trey Lance looked the way you would expect a guy who only played one season of college football two years ago and averaged 178 yards per game against FCS competition to look; i.e., he looked bad.  Oh, he did hit a wide open receiver after a defensive mix-up for a splashy long TD, so props for being able to hit a guy with 10 yards of separation, I guess--but he completed only 4 of his other 11 passes in the first half (for 48 yards).  Definitely not ready to start in the NFL, and probly won't be this season.

The only two things that really stood out for the Chiefs were 1) that between Hardman's hands of concrete (his drops contributed to the Super Bowl loss) and Pringle's ability to get open at will, Pringle should be this season's Sammy Watkins (without all the injuries); and 2) Jerick McKinnon looked good enough for CEH owners to gulp hard--3 rushes for 19 yards, 2 receptions for 21 yards.  CEH did get a lot of run with the starters, though, and yeah, that O-line looked gooood.

8 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Topic within a thread. It happens. As it has already happened with other QBs.  Comment on it or don't.

Utilit99 has spoken.

Not sure what you're babbling about, but this is a thread for Preseason Overreactions.  So complaining about people's overreactions in this thread seems a little counterproductive.

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Not sure what you're babbling about, but this is a thread for Preseason Overreactions.  So complaining about people's overreactions in this thread seems a little counterproductive.

I agreed with the poster that I replied to. Or is this thread about not commenting on anyone's posts? You should have said to not reply to anyone's posts. 

Sounds likw ypu are complaining actually.

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

No, it's commenting on overreaction.

It was a disparaging comment on overreactions, when this is a thread for embracing them.