Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Pre-Season Overreactions/Observations

Sounds like Love is hurt.  

Love is a horrible qb and will never amount to anything. Just forget any positive thoughts about him. Abysmal pick by the Packers

Will that’s good news for the Love camp. 

2 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Love is a horrible qb and will never amount to anything. Just forget any positive thoughts about him. Abysmal pick by the Packers

This is about over reacting.......right? 😐

Oh......I get it. 🙄

Just now, remote controller said:

Lol, seems to be forgotten 

6 minutes ago, remote controller said:

Oh......I get it. 🙄

Haha I actually think saying Jordan Love looked decent is an overreaction. One of worst higher value qbs to come into the league in a while.

• Haha 1

After holding the Vikings to just  six points and the Vikings where at home, the Broncos might have the best def in the nfl 

Mahomes is going have to improve on his four yards per game avg to reach 6000 passing yards. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Haha I actually think saying Jordan Love looked decent is an overreaction. One of worst higher value qbs to come into the league in a while.

I was a little slow.

2 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

He wasn’t even good in college and they had no need for a QB yet traded up to get him. If they take Tee Higgins instead they are in the SB and maybe even would have won it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

He wasn’t even good in college and they had no need for a QB yet traded up to get him. If they take Tee Higgins instead they are in the SB and maybe even would have won it. 

A complete embrassment for the organization. I will never understand why teams can't wait to get rid of the Brett Favre's, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Bradys of the world. Dumb ass coaches and GMs can't realize that it's all because of the superstar qb. Not because of their super special playback, charming motivational personality, or war room chalk board.

Saints and Ravens.

The Saints started all their #2s, and struggled to do anything at all.  Taysom Hill had a couple of crisp throws, but he also badly missed on at least 3 short to intermediate throws resulting in an interception, an incompletion, and an incompletion that should have been an interception.  Latavius Murray and Devonta Freeman each lost a fumble.  So the Ravens D had 3 turnovers less than one quarter into their first game of the year.  Taysom Hill din't even scramble particularly well; the one time he was forced from the pocket, he rolled right and took a 12 yard loss.  Trace McSorley scrambled better for the Ravens than Taysom Hill did (although I suppose that's kind of a prerequisite when you're backing up Lamar Jackson).

Winston played in the 2nd quarter and looked much more like a starting NFL QB, and as we all suspected he would be, he was much more aggressive in finding targets downfield.  Yes, the box score shows that Winston also threw an interception, but it was with under a minute to play, the ball traveled 45 yards in the air, hit Lil'Jordan Humphrey right in the hands, he volleyed it up in the air and it was picked off by a trailing defender five yards behind the play.  So not really Winston's fault; if Tre'Quan Smith was at the other end it would be a 60 yard gain.  There may be lip service paid to an "open QB competition," but this is Winston's job to lose.

The only starter I saw for the Ravens was J.K. Dobbins whose owners must be loving his 3 carries for 0 yards, including a 1 yard loss on 4th and 1.  That's going to eat into that 6.0 yards per carry in a hurry...

• Confused 1

Buccaneers and Bengals.

Surprised to see Brady in there for a series.  I guess he saw what Mahomes is doing in KC and figured he needed the reps.

The Bucs definitely kicked the tires on Ke'Shawn Vaughn, and he looked like a perfectly capable NFL backup RB.  Probly won't see much work in the regular season backing up Jones and Fournette in the running game and Bernard in the passing game, though.

I was thankful that the Bengals kept the Uzomator under wraps for the series or two he played, but it was comforting to see them bring in Drew Sample to block on sweeps with Uzomah running the routes on passing downs.

It was also nice to see Mike Thomas in his first preseason action.

14 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know how fair of an argument this is.  Davante Adams, played 16 games in only 2 of 7 seasons... no one seems to knock him for it.  Tyreek Hill only did it twice in 5 seasons.  Diggs only once in 5 years.  Allen only had 2 seasons where he didn't play at least 14 games.  Not saying he wouldn't be expected to miss a game or two, but to say he "hasnt been a model of good health", is something that could be applied to 99% of the WR's if missing 1 or 2 games a season is the standard.

all I am saying is between the two receivers, chances  are  good one will get hurt for a game or two and he will get a chance to prove himself.

I dont think this is an unreasonable assumption.  it may only be a couple games, but if the kid shows well, hes likely to get another chance.

and with respect to Adams,  Id say its  a good bet  he misses a game or two as well.   given additional risks with the Rodgers situation I'm not sure he should be ranked #2  overall as a WR.

I'd let someone else take that risk at that point in the draft.

I agree, Adams might be number one. 

On 8/14/2021 at 4:41 PM, AxeElf said:

Malcolm Brown didn't make a thunderous case for himself as the short yardage back, at least at the goalline (although he did convert a 4th and 1), but I don't think the offensive line was helping things much--neither Gaskin nor Ahmed were particularly effective running the ball either.  Gaskin had a 14 yard run, but went 3 for 5 otherwise.  Ahmed looked better in the passing game, catching a TD while Gaskin bobbled and dropped a pass that could have been an INT after he bobbled it.  The Dolphins backfield is going to be more of a committee than Gaskin owners want to admit.

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores said the Dolphins will continue to use a three-player backfield rotation. 

Malcom Brown got the start Saturday against Chicago, seeing 16 snaps with Miami's first team offense to Myles Gaskin's seven first-team snaps. Gaskin has four carries for 19 yards; Brown gained eight yards on nine rushes. Salvon Ahmed, who had four starts in 2020 while Gaskin was sidelined, had six rushing attempts for 40 yards, along with 31 yards and a touchdown through the air. "You saw all three backs played, all three of them got carries," Flores aid. "Pick one out and put them in, basically. We like all three guys. They all do good things. And I think we saw that today. And [we'll] just keep working all three guys." Gaskin was never going to dominate backfield snaps for the Dolphins. Now he could be trapped in an unpredictable committee -- a tough spot for a fourth-round pick in 12-team fantasy leagues. Running backs going after Gaskin -- including Mike Davis, Kareem Hunt, Raheem Mostert, and Travis Etienne -- have more secure roles in their respective offenses. 

Week 2 of preseason observation: If Cam keeps his job he sure seems to like Jacobi Myers..

I don’t know how much he will play as a rookie, but the Pats may have found something in Rhomandre Stephenson. He looks like the best player on the field whenever he touches the ball. I’d be buying in dynasty.

37 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Week 2 of preseason observation: If Cam keeps his job he sure seems to like Jacobi Myers..

Yep, the offense of the Patriots is pretty much Harris and Meyers.

I'd say Mac Jones looked improved in his second game, but still not ready to be a starting NFL QB.  He was more accurate, but still "missing" and making his receivers go down to catch the ball rather than catching it in stride, little things like that, just need to dial it in a little more...  but not yet.

6 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I don’t know how much he will play as a rookie, but the Pats may have found something in Rhomandre Stephenson. He looks like the best player on the field whenever he touches the ball. I’d be buying in dynasty.

Both Stevenson and Michel looked a heck of a lot better against the 2s than Harris and White looked against the 1s.  I'm not sure if it was more of a failing of the first team Patriots O-line, or the second team Eagles D-line.

But I think we are clearly seeing a Patriots offense that will be more ground-based than it was during the Brady years.

PROBABLY good news for Harris, if he is to become the first 1000 yard rusher for the Patriots since LeGarrette Blount had 1150 yards and 18 TDs on the ground in 2016--oh, and 7 receptions.  lol

Watched a little bit into the second half; Mac Jones looked a lot better after the half, though granted, he's probly not playing against an NFL defense any more.  But he was a lot more accurate in his throws, even though all the receivers seemed to be wide open anyway.

It was kind of interesting to see Jordan Howard running with the 1s again--he could end up being the Sanders cuff, with Boston Scott being more of a change-of-pace back.  He sure took a step toward that with the release of Kerryon Johnson this past week.  He looked lighter and faster than he did last year.

Funny about that comparison to Blount, that’s who the Pats and beat writers have been comparing Stevenson to. 

If you have a deep bench , I would pick him up.  

On 8/18/2021 at 3:15 PM, AxeElf said:

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores said the Dolphins will continue to use a three-player backfield rotation. 

Malcom Brown got the start Saturday against Chicago, seeing 16 snaps with Miami's first team offense to Myles Gaskin's seven first-team snaps. Gaskin has four carries for 19 yards; Brown gained eight yards on nine rushes. Salvon Ahmed, who had four starts in 2020 while Gaskin was sidelined, had six rushing attempts for 40 yards, along with 31 yards and a touchdown through the air. "You saw all three backs played, all three of them got carries," Flores aid. "Pick one out and put them in, basically. We like all three guys. They all do good things. And I think we saw that today. And [we'll] just keep working all three guys." Gaskin was never going to dominate backfield snaps for the Dolphins. Now he could be trapped in an unpredictable committee -- a tough spot for a fourth-round pick in 12-team fantasy leagues. Running backs going after Gaskin -- including Mike Davis, Kareem Hunt, Raheem Mostert, and Travis Etienne -- have more secure roles in their respective offenses. 

Dolphins HC Brian Flores hints at RBBC
"We are going to use them situationally as best fits their skill set"
By: Mike Krueger | Aug 17 2021, 2:00 pm
spacer_whi.gif
Miami Dolphins

“We are going to use them situationally as best fits their skill set and what’s best for the team. Myles Gaskin can play first, second, third down, but depending on the situation, we may put another player in there... “Malcolm Brown is a little bigger, what you may consider a power back. Myles is change of pace, good quickness. Salvon Ahmed has good speed, coming out of the backfield. They all played well in the preseason game.” Meanwhile, receivers DeVante Parker, Will Fuller and Albert Wilson remain out - even for Tuesday’s walk through - but Flores said “they’re getting closer.” (Miami Herald)

FFToday's Take: Reading between the lines it seems that Gaskin may be the lead back of this group but there's likely more of a committee approach here than most fantasy owners would like. Gaskin's 4th round ADP in PPR leagues is probably too steep given his outlook.

5 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:
Dolphins HC Brian Flores hints at RBBC  

Oh boy, right again...

I think that’s interesting coach talk about the Dolphins Rbs situation, and I think it’s deserving of being posted on an overreaction thread. 

Nice

I think Sony Michel looked impressive tonight. He looked pretty explosive. Another excellent reason to avoid entire NE backfield.

7 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I think Sony Michel looked impressive tonight. He looked pretty explosive. Another excellent reason to avoid entire NE backfield.

The Eagles started their 2nd team defense.  Michel played against the 3rd team defense.  I wouldn't put too much stock into player production in last nights' game.

8 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think that’s interesting coach talk about the Dolphins Rbs situation, and I think it’s deserving of being posted on an overreaction thread. 

Nice

I agree.  What Flores does is what every team, aside from Carolina, Tennessee, Giants, and Minnesota does.  If that's the standard for RBBC, then 28 teams are in an RBBC mode.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I agree.  What Flores does is what every team, aside from Carolina, Tennessee, Giants, and Minnesota does.  If that's the standard for RBBC, then 28 teams are in an RBBC mode.

Mostly agree on this. The term ‘committee’  is misused almost as much as ‘generational’. In Gaskin’s case though I am wary. He was a 7th round pick. Financially he is essentially free. Nothing the Dolphins have done this off-season makes me think he will be anything more than a flex play.

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

Mostly agree on this. The term ‘committee’  is misused almost as much as ‘generational’. In Gaskin’s case though I am wary. He was a 7th round pick. Financially he is essentially free. Nothing the Dolphins have done this off-season makes me think he will be anything more than a flex play.

The Dolphins upgraded their WR corp to (hopefully), reduced the 8-man fronts teams always played when Tua was in.  They also brought in some WR talent through FA and the draft.  They also upgraded at Center.  The only changes to the backfield they made was Malcom Brown who was never anything more than a 5 carry per game guy.  Despite having 5 picks in the first round, they spent none on the backfield, but they did spend a pick on the OLine, WR, and TE.  The only back they added was a 7th rounder.  So, the Dolphins upgraded their OLine, the TE's, and WR's and practically ignored their backfield.  I think the Gaskin is their guy... for this year, until he proves he isn't.  I don't think the team will actively look to reduce his role.

Now, he may be a flex play despite that.  I'm not sold on Tua.  If Tua can't move the ball down field, Gaskin will have reduced production.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So, the Dolphins upgraded their OLine, the TE's, and WR's and practically ignored their backfield.

If, by "ignored," you mean that they brought in a free agent goalline back and drafted a RB in the 7th round, then yes, they did nothing.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:05 PM, AxeElf said:

Saints and Ravens.

The Saints started all their #2s, and struggled to do anything at all.  Taysom Hill had a couple of crisp throws, but he also badly missed on at least 3 short to intermediate throws resulting in an interception, an incompletion, and an incompletion that should have been an interception.  Latavius Murray and Devonta Freeman each lost a fumble.  So the Ravens D had 3 turnovers less than one quarter into their first game of the year.  Taysom Hill din't even scramble particularly well; the one time he was forced from the pocket, he rolled right and took a 12 yard loss.  Trace McSorley scrambled better for the Ravens than Taysom Hill did (although I suppose that's kind of a prerequisite when you're backing up Lamar Jackson).

I saw the first quarter of this game, and I think you are being Kind to Taysom.  I didnt think he looked good at all.  though the fumbles generally upset the flow of the game on offense.  that can and does happen and can make everyone look bad.

so I'd be inclined to give him a Mulligan for the bad performance but at the same time he didnt really do anything to make me think hes likely to start.

dude needs to step it up if he wants to play.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

If, by "ignored," you mean that they brought in a free agent goalline back and drafted a RB in the 7th round, then yes, they did nothing.

Correct.  They did nothing to take significant touches away from Gaskin.

Last year, Brown had 5 TD's inside the 10, on 13 attempts.  That's really good, but they also had the #3 ranked offensive line last year.  Gaskin had 3 TD's on 31 attempts, with the 28th ranked offensive line.  Brown isn't a lock to succeed in that role this year.  If he shows he can't do the job, Gaskin will get the call.  Gaskin is also a solid pass catcher.  He should get about 16 to 18 touches a game this year, just like last year.  If he can average 5 yards per touch, like last year, you're talking about 8.5 ppg from just yards.  Add about 3 or 4 for catches a game and 6 TD's on the season and you have a guy who could average around 14.5 fpg.  That's good enough for a mid-level RB2.

21 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Correct.  They did nothing to take significant touches away from Gaskin.

If, by "significant touches" you are excluding goalline carries, then you are correct.

7 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If, by "significant touches" you are excluding goalline carries, then you are correct.

There's no guarantee that Gaskin won't get any.  As I said, there's no guarantee that Brown will be successful.  He's going to a massive downgrade in OLine performance.

You are completely discounting Ahmed from the equation. He also had success last season. The Dolphins like him. This could be a true 3-back committee. I think your 16-18 touch per game prediction for Gaskin is unlikely to happen.

20 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There's no guarantee that Gaskin won't get any.  As I said, there's no guarantee that Brown will be successful.  He's going to a massive downgrade in OLine performance.

The word of Axe Elf is as close to a guarantee as any of us come in this business.