Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Pre-Season Overreactions/Observations

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Buccaneers and Titans.

Not much to see from the Titans.  Firkser had a catch.  This Sargent kid has looked better than Evans and McNichols backing up Henry--but even if he wins that, he'll still be backing up Henry (so zero fantasy value).

The only Buccaneer semi-starter that played was OJ Howard, and they were clearly putting him through his paces to see where he is in his recovery.  He had 2 drops and 3 catches on 6 targets, so mixed results--but he's an intriguing sleeper.  Through 4 games, he was on pace for something like 45/600/8, which would have made him the TE8 last season.  So he and Uzomah are both sitting there as potential top 10 TEs in the final round of everyone's draft.

Picked Howard off of waivers after our draft as my TE 2.   Will keep an I on him. 

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Trey Lance's accuracy this game is pretty poor.  He's had some drops, but he's really not helping his receivers very much.

I'm not watching but it was terrible week 1 also. Everyone raving about that 80 yard bomb but besides that he wasn't very good. The jury is still out for me with Trey Lance. 

2 hours ago, nobody said:

Aiyuk drops a pass that goes as an interception against Garoppolo.  Ball was a bit high, catchable.

I came here just to post this for Axe Elf. Bad drop for Aiyuk in week 1 and tonight's was not a good throw but any WR1 should come down with that. No excuses. I think the hype on Aiyuk is out of control. 

51 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I think the hype on Aiyuk is out of control. 

ADP for half point ppr on FFC is 64. On CBS it’s 62. I’m not sure the hype on Aiyuk is as out of control as you perceive it to be.

Aiyuk isn't a top 12 receiver if Deebo is healthy, but Deebo won't stay healthy, so Aiyuk is going to get targets

Chargers and 49ers.

The only thing worth watching for the Chargers was the RB battle to be Ekeler's thunder between Josh Kelley and Larry Rountree III (as the oft-injured Justin Jackson was, uh, injured again).  Rountree held his own, and even looked good catching 4 passes on 4 targets for 15 yards in the first half.  I really think Rountree might pull off the sleeper coup here.  He looks more explosive than Kelley.  Josh Palmer caught an improvised TD pass.

Both QBs sucked for the 49ers.  Yeah, Garoppolo overthrew Aiyuk on a crossing pattern that resulted in a drop and an interception, but Lance did the exact same thing with Sanu in the 2nd quarter--and almost the same thing, sans the interception, to Deebo as well.  Both QBs need work on hitting their crossing patterns.  Hopefully the 49ers won't kick their 2020 1st round draft pick to the curb because he alligator-armed a preseason pass over the middle.

5 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I came here just to post this for Axe Elf. Bad drop for Aiyuk in week 1 and tonight's was not a good throw but any WR1 should come down with that. No excuses. I think the hype on Aiyuk is out of control. 

Question for you, how? Aiyuk in non ppr is going in the mid sixth round , and I think based on avg he’ll be a mid wr2, with low wr 1 ceiling, what is out of control ? 

Zach Wilson: 137.7 passer rating this preseason, 1st among all QBs

Start carving the HoF bust now.

• Haha 1

Dang it all!!! Marquez Calloway was a guy I thought I could get for free at the end of the draft. That's probably over now, sigh...

23 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Dang it all!!! Marquez Calloway was a guy I thought I could get for free at the end of the draft. That's probably over now, sigh...

5-104 2td's in the first quarter, arrrgghhhh!!!

They can only hope to contain him. 

56 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Yea that’s over. Question is where can you reach for him now as a depth add.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

That's been over for about a week, as Callaway has become a trendy late-round pick.  In best-ball leagues, though, I'm still taking Tre'Quan Smith.  He'll still have his job in October when Thomas returns.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

That's been over for about a week, as Callaway has become a trendy late-round pick.  In best-ball leagues, though, I'm still taking Tre'Quan Smith.  He'll still have his job in October when Thomas returns.

Tre'Quan smith sucks. He is close to the cutting block on my 14 team dynasty league.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

My drafts are all over and I have a ridiculous number of Calloway shares  :banana:

2 hours ago, graphix28 said:

Trey lance has never been an accurate passer, an average runner at best. No idea what the hype is all about. 

One perfectly thrown highlight reel bomb has masked all of his other poor throws so far this preseason.

Surprised no one is panicking over Etienne's foot sprain.  He had a noticeable limp on the sideline.

12 minutes ago, nobody said:

Surprised no one is panicking over Etienne's foot sprain.  He had a noticeable limp on the sideline.

James Robinson was getting all the early work too. I'll be giving Robinson a tick up my draft boards. You have to assume this offense will move the ball better than they did last year. 

I’ve been holding steady on  Robinson even though is adp seems to keep dropping. 

I still see him as the first second down rb and short yardage work including goal line  

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

This won't age well. Smith has been disappointing people for years now. He's quite good at it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nobody said:

6 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

This won't age well. Smith has been disappointing people for years now. He's quite good at it

He just needed a QB who could get the ball downfield.

No need to panic Etienne is out for 12 weeks or so, so relax the news is in. 

Robinson once again move way way up. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

No need to panic Etienne is out for 12 weeks or so, so relax the news is in. 

Robinson once again move way way up. 

Etienne is done for the season. Robinson stock goes up.......maybe Shenault's as well.

Mmm not so sure how much Shenaults adp might change, but they way he will be use should go up. 

Another player is Hyde, he much better then the back up they had last season, he’s not worthy of a late pick up, and he can be used in many ways, even in short yardage situations. 

Finally got around to watching the game everyone is talking about, the Jaguars and Saints.

First of all, if we didn't already know this, we know it now--Jameis Winston is the QB of the New Orleans Saints.  This is of course a boon for Tre'Quan Smith as well.

Secondly, Tony Jones, Jr. is the most disturbing development of the preseason so far--as I have like 20 shares of Latavius Murray in 45 leagues, mostly on the end of my best-ball league benches.  I can't even argue with his demotion--Jones looked twice as good as the plodding Murray in their limited action last night.  Hopefully Murray wouldn't have been called on to contribute to my best-ball teams very often from the RB5-RB6 slot, but I don't think I can count on him contributing at all, now.  Start adding this Jones kid to the ends of your benches; he's the Saints' #2 RB.

Sounds like Trautman might be ok, even if he misses a couple of weeks.  I only had him on one best-ball roster, the one where I drafted 5 TEs for the 5000th draft of the RTSports Best Ball Championship.

Trevor Lawrence continues to look entirely mediocre.  He made some good throws, but had a few wild misses as well, and at least one underthrow that should have been an INT.  This whole offense is looking largely dysfunctional, and the only guy who will probably benefit from that is Marvin Jones, who seems to be the first look for an offense that will be playing from behind for virtually every minute of the 2021 season.

The Jaguars starters logged six (6) yards rushing as a team by the halfway point of the 2nd quarter, and although Robinson ripped off a 10 yarder in the 2 minute drill as the Saints were defending the pass, he still finished with 4 carries for 3 yards outside of that.  So pump the brakes on Robinson repeating as a top 10 RB now that Etienne is out of the picture, with his new QB, his new coach, his new system, and his new RB2, who his new coach coached in college.

Agree about T Jones he’s going to take that job away from Murray.  

And about M Jones, I think it was coach Meyers who said the Chalk wasn’t his type of wr, or something like that.  

Thanks. 

Did you know the starting left side of their o-line didn't play?  And their starters are pretty average, but their backups...let's just say aren't as good as the starters.

That’s almost always is the case when it comes to backups. 

28 minutes ago, nobody said:

Did you know the starting left side of their o-line didn't play?  And their starters are pretty average, but their backups...let's just say aren't as good as the starters.

Or as good as their opponents' backups, apparently.

42 minutes ago, nobody said:

Saints defensive starters played.

The whole game?  Because the Jags run game has sucked for 8 complete quarters now.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The whole game?  Because the Jags run game has sucked for 8 complete quarters now.

I'm not sure how that's relevant.  Does the backups' performance against anyone matter?

8 minutes ago, nobody said:

I'm not sure how that's relevant.  Does the backups' performance against anyone matter?

Well yeah.  When nothing is working across all levels of competition in a preseason game, it's a clue that there might be something wrong with the system at the pro level.  Successful college coaches aren't exactly notorious for smooth transitions to the NFL, you know.

Not saying they can't get things on track sooner or later, but I am saying that what we've seen of this team so far in preseason isn't promising.

I don't know if you can draw conclusions about the schemes from preseason games.  Meyer did indicate they were actually trying from a schematic standpoint, so that was pretty pitiful if that's the best they got.  

Urban does seem over his skis so far though based on what I've seen. 

40 minutes ago, nobody said:

I don't know if you can draw conclusions about the schemes from preseason games.

I don't know if I'm drawing conclusions at this point so much as I am identifying trends... but I don't like where this one is leading for the Jags.