cyclone24

***Wagering thread***

So just for kicks I put $100 into my fan duel account and I’ve just hammered NFL preseason unders. I’m not up anything huge, maybe a few hundred dollars.

But in general when a line comes out what is the betting strategy then versus betting right before a game? 

from what I know you get better points getting in early but usually doesn't matter though. maybe a little better money winnings too. Betting under is pretty good strategy but wouldn't bet that much when the season starts. Last year the first six weeks of the season most games was over. that will work now with all those 2nd and 3rd string qbs playing.

9 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

College basketball.  Early in the season 

College football as well if you figure out some of the lesser name teams that are decent.

Just now, BeenHereBefore said:

Did Musk make you post this ?

No I just looked at my account first time in at least a week. 🍌

20 minutes ago, posty said:

"The only winning move is not to play."

Actually if you are gonna do this. You do it once. If you are making money you keep going. If you lose the $100, you are not good at it and should run away as fast as ya can and never come back. I started with $25 in Draftkings, they matched and I'm up to $96. Going to increase bets as long as above $100.

3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Actually if you are gonna do this. You do it once. If you are making money you keep going. If you lose the $100, you are not good at it and should run away as fast as ya can and never come back. I started with $25 in Draftkings, they matched and I'm up to $96. Going to increase bets as long as above $100.

If you actually watch the games you bet on you will start figuring out what teams are good and what teams suck. That said if you want to make so good coin at it  you have to go in with around 2 grand.

3 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

If you actually watch the games you bet on you will start figuring out what teams are good and what teams suck. That said if you want to make so good coin at it  you have to go in with around 2 grand.

I built my $ up at Pacific Poker from winning a free roll to $2000 before the fuckhead R's us all over.

This is taking a lot longer because you have to study more, like ya said. PGA made me some so far. NFL fantasy games are what i like. Did real good on them last year.

6 minutes ago, lod001 said:

I built my $ up at Pacific Poker from winning a free roll to $2000 before the fuckhead R's us all over.

This is taking a lot longer because you have to study more, like ya said. PGA made me some so far. NFL fantasy games are what i like. Did real good on them last year.

Cool man that is cool!  Do what you know and what you are good at. Sucks about the fuckhead.

Another thing is you will start to notice games that stand out to you more then others and the ones you should bet on. Like tonight I'm digging the Rays over Orioles. Yankees have more under games I noticed.

Won a few bucks on TB and should have taken my own advice on the Yanks and under. I'm probably going to throw $500 in my account when football starts and wish I had 2 grand like I said.

18 hours ago, posty said:

"The only winning move is not to play."

Correct.  There's no such thing as a winning strategy.  Sports gambling is a game of chance.

Light it on fire. You will get far more enjoyment

6 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Correct.  There's no such thing as a winning strategy.  Sports gambling is a game of chance.

A game of chance is slots! Or sluts! Or a box of ball cards.

Are you looking to have fun or turn a profit?

If you want to have fun, go for it. 

If you want to turn a profit, betting sides and totals will not get you there in the long term. Profits can be made betting player props, but you will always need to be looking for your next book because eventually they will cut you off. 

9 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Are you looking to have fun or turn a profit?

If you want to have fun, go for it. 

If you want to turn a profit, betting sides and totals will not get you there in the long term. Profits can be made betting player props, but you will always need to be looking for your next book because eventually they will cut you off. 

I'm making a small profit now but still betting for fun too. Come start of football season just serious betting and believe there are many ways to turn a profit. I bet on a lot of preseason game last week and that was for fun and that is just gambling and who knows how they will turn out. Think I had more right then wrong but just luck. My picks for last night and tonight are serious betting.

1. Stay away from Parlays and Teasers.  Sucker bets.

2.   I agree with @bostonlager that certain player props can be fruitful 

3.  Never chase your losses, stay the course.

4.  There is no such thing as "due theory".  i.e. if you flip a coin 9 times and all 9 are tails.  Guess what?  That 10th flip is still 50/50.

5.  Keep it fun, but you'll prolly lose in the long run.  Juice is hard to overcome.  

4 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

4.  There is no such thing as "due theory".  i.e. if you flip a coin 9 times and all 9 are tails.  Guess what?  That 10th flip is still 50/50.

5.  Keep it fun, but you'll prolly lose in the long run.  Juice is hard to overcome.  

Parlays work if you hedge your bet and take the same team you are confident will win on the moneyline. Also if the crap team does end up winning chase your bet and bet against them the next day and get your money back. This is for baseball.

2 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I’m willing to post my plays once football starts in a more private setting. If Ed could make a semi-private board for us over at his place for a handful of us to hangout. If they get posted here I’m going to get cut off much quicker and those that tail will too. 

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I’m willing to post my plays once football starts in a more private setting. If Ed could make a semi-private board for us over at his place for a handful of us to hangout. If they get posted here I’m going to get cut off much quicker and those that tail will too. 

Oh I get you.

The best was pre-internet bookies.  You see, the lines change and dependent on when you look or where you look I'd have 4 or 5 different bookies and if you were persistent you could find huge swings if you had multiple bookies.  For several years straight I just played middles.  I'd be Cowboys versus Steelers.  One bookie had Cowboys -4 and the other Cowboys -1.  The "Steam" comes in last minute and one bookie always had bad lines because he was lazy.   If you it hit the middle you won with both bookies and were only guaranteed to lose the juice.  Those were the Wild Wild West days. 

Then the internet came.  :sadbanana:

3 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

The best was pre-internet bookies.  You see, the lines change and dependent on when you look or where you look I'd have 4 or 5 different bookies and if you were persistent you could find huge swings if you had multiple bookies.  For several years straight I just played middles.  I'd be Cowboys versus Steelers.  On bookies had Cowboys -4 and the other Cowboys -1.  The "Steam" comes in last minute and one bookie always had bad lines.   If you it hit the middle you won with both bookies and were only guaranteed to lose the juice.  Those were the Wild Wild West days. 

Then the internet came.  :sadbanana:

Cool man and yea I use to have a bookie when I was 10 and also played the slips. Bookie was a nice old guy and loved him and went to his funeral but that is another story.

17 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

edjr has his own bored. 

26 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

edjr has his own bored. 

That’s what I meant. I would need to sign up there. Was wondering if he could make us a little side board kinda hidden from public view. 

ETA- by side board I mean a board within his board. Possibly password protected. 

Worst case scenario I can make a google doc and PM the link to those that want to be in the club. 

3 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

A game of chance is slots! Or sluts! Or a box of ball cards.

Cards are a gamble, but just a little different.  

There may not be an immediate ROI on the cards you get.  But, there could be a rookie card that looks like a dud but turns into something valuable down the road.  

Trout and Mahomes rookie cards weren’t worth much when they first came out, but look at them now.