Sign in to follow this  
dumbassmax2001

3rd AND 5th Overall Pick

Because of a trade I made last year, I have the 3rd and 5th pick in the first round in a 10 team 2QB PPR league.  Would you draft Mahomes with one of those picks or take two stud backs out of Kamara, Henry and Zeke?  I'm leaning toward the latter and then grabbing the best two QB's left with my 4th and 5th round picks, but I'm back and forth with this.  Thoughts?       

I would take the best RB at 3 and then Mahomes if he is there at 5

I loved playing in a two Qb league, it makes you think, I would take Mahomes quickly, the quality of Qb in the 4-5 round in a two Qb league in which everyone is taking three qbs , won’t match up. As I recall Qb go early and often in a two Qb league. 

Sounds fun have a great season.  

30 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I loved playing in a two Qb league, it makes you think, I would take Mahomes quickly, the quality of Qb in the 4-5 round in a two Qb league in which everyone is taking three qbs , won’t match up. As I recall Qb go early and often in a two Qb league. 

Sounds fun have a great season.  

x2

It's only a 10 team league, so unless you have some kind of premium QB scoring (like .05 points per yard passing or 6 pt pass TDs), I would take the Henry/Zeke combo if you can, and worry about QBs later.  Let the others scramble for the premium QBs while you scoop up the RB and WR values that they let slide--then get you a Ryan/Cousins/Jones package after a few rounds.  Because your QB score is now an average of 2 QBs instead of just having Mahomes or something, having two top-tennish QBs is functionally equivalent to having a stud and a journeyman.  And if someone blows their draft on getting 2 stud QBs, they will have dug themselves a big enough hole at the other positions to neutralize their advantage at QB.

Just now, AxeElf said:

It's only a 10 team league, so unless you have some kind of premium QB scoring (like .05 points per yard passing or 6 pt pass TDs), I would take the Henry/Zeke combo if you can, and worry about QBs later.  Let the others scramble for the premium QBs while you scoop up the RB and WR values that they let slide--then get you a Ryan/Cousins/Jones package after a few rounds.  Because your QB score is now an average of 2 QBs instead of just having Mahomes or something, having two top-tennish QBs is functionally equivalent to having a stud and a journeyman.  And if someone blows their draft on getting 2 stud QBs, they will have dug themselves a big enough hole at the other positions to neutralize their advantage at QB.

I don't disagree with this unless you believe Mahomes is going to throw for close to 50 tds and 5000k yards.  I'd roll the dice if I believed that and rely on my draft skills to build enough depth to cover my RBs.  Just me though imho

10 team leagues to me are much more of a crap shoot to begin with....more variance, less of a chance a draft mistake comes back to haunt you compared to 12/14 teams.  

5 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

I don't disagree with this unless you believe Mahomes is going to throw for close to 50 tds and 5000k yards.  I'd roll the dice if I believed that and rely on my draft skills to build enough depth to cover my RBs.  Just me though imho

I think Mahomes will approach 6000 and 60 this year, but even though I'm drafting him in all the single-QB leagues I can, I wouldn't invest the draft capital in him for a 2QB/Superflex league where his score will be averaged with another QB, significantly reducing the advantage of having Mahomes (unless of course as I said, your league awards some kind of premium scoring for QBs as well).

I have never played in a 2QB league but just using logic I don’t see why you would rush to draft them even considering how fast they go. I’d still rather load up on wr and Rb and be the guy starting Tannehil and Brady at QB rather than the guy who took 2 QB in the first 3 rounds.

I've played them both ways, regardless I think of my 2QB like I do my  3WR or flex.... I'll have 2-3 guys that I just rotate based on matchups.  

I've won and lost 2QB leagues either way....I have a 10 team, 2QB superflex draft coming up this Saturday, will post any interesting results.  

Never been in a two Qb league that was bigger then a ten team league, so i liked taking my Qb early first round even, and that puts a mind set on the other owners that they need to go Qb sooner then maybe they want to, I like to be the run starter. 

Plenty of WRs and Rbs still available to draft, but now I have one and then in few rounds two top qbs. 

Thats thy way I’ve been successful playing in a two Qb league , if I can find one in my area I would join. 

38 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

I've played them both ways, regardless I think of my 2QB like I do my  3WR or flex.... I'll have 2-3 guys that I just rotate based on matchups.  

I've won and lost 2QB leagues either way....I have a 10 team, 2QB superflex draft coming up this Saturday, will post any interesting results.  

Big difference between 2QB and Superflex. When I played mandatory 2QB there were at least 30 QBs drafted often more. Owners hoarded QBs like they were Toilet Paper in Russia…

5 hours ago, dumbassmax2001 said:

Because of a trade I made last year, I have the 3rd and 5th pick in the first round in a 10 team 2QB PPR league.  Would you draft Mahomes with one of those picks or take two stud backs out of Kamara, Henry and Zeke?  I'm leaning toward the latter and then grabbing the best two QB's left with my 4th and 5th round picks, but I'm back and forth with this.  Thoughts?       

I've found that whether you play in a 1 QB, Superflex, or 2 QB league, the net result will always be the same... people wait on QB's.  Now, your league may be different, but you should know how they draft.  It's been my experience that while a few of the top guys get drafted early, the rest of the league holds off.  Sure, Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Dak, and Murray may be go in rounds... 1 and 2, but my guess is that the rest of the "projected" top 10 won't get taken until the 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

My suggestion... draft the top 2 RB's in round 1.  The best available WR in rounds 2, then in 3 and 4, take two of the following... Brady, Stafford, or Tannehill.  If only one is there, take him in round 3, then the best WR or RB in rounds 4 and 5.  Then in round 6, take one of the following... Mayfield, Cousins, or Burrow.

I've found that when people jump on QB's early, they wait until the 7th round or later to get their #2.  In the end, if you have QB1 and 16, you're probably around the same result as the guy who got #8 & #10.

Last year, Josh Allen was #1 and Newton was #16.  The two combined for about 675 points.  Brady and Jackson were #8 & #10, and they combined for 692 points.

Using ADP and ESPN's projections, this year Mahomes (#1) and Mayfield (#16), will get you 638.8 points where as Herbert (#8) and Stafford (#10), will get you 593.2 points.  That's a net -2.7 points.

In 10-team 2QB leagues, #3 is Dalvin Cook and #6 is Kamara (#5 is Allen... to note, #2 is Mahomes, so odds are that you won't get Mahomes at #3 anyway).  Kamara is projected to get 297 points (again, ESPN), and the #24 (#23 is a QB), is Najee Harris who ESPN projects at 254.4 points, so an average 2.5 points.  It's almost a wash.

In retrospect... it looks like there's no definitive answer.  I'd say go with whatever you have more faith in.  As I said in the beginning though, you should know how your league drafts.  If they jump on QB's early and often, then take a QB.  If they're spaced out, go with what you're more comfortable with.  If they wait, then go RB/RB and take your QB later.

Of course, you could take a QB in round 2 and get someone like Rodgers (who's ADP in 2QB leagues is #18 overall).  He's QB6.  You could take him and Herbert who's QB8.  In the 4th and 5th rounds, you can get 2 of the following WR's: A.J. Brown, Keenan Allen, CeeDee Lamb, Terry McLaurin, Allen Robinson.  That might be the route I'd take.

56 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Big difference between 2QB and Superflex. When I played mandatory 2QB there were at least 30 QBs drafted often more. Owners hoarded QBs like they were Toilet Paper in Russia…

Correct....this one is 2QB, not SF.... all QBs will be drafted.... back up QBs I'm guessing at least 5.... Lance, Fields, Denver QB2.  Probably Brissett and Tyrod.  Mac Jones.  Hell Trubisky will likely get drafted by the Allen owner.  

After doing a couple 2QB mocks, I still stand by late QB. Late for this format being rnd 4/5. So I’d draft the best RB RB WR rnd 1-3 then for rnd 4-5 take the last 2 QBs on your list. It could be something like Burrow, Stafford, Tannehil etc. Don’t be the guy starting Chase Edmonds and Tee Higgins at RB/WR1 because your QB is 2 points a game better than the guy who waited on QB and Starts Henry and Calvin Ridley.

From what I remember the team or teams that waited on QB were begging people for trades by mid season. In 2QB waiting on qb is a death sentence...

Its a ten team draft, if you take a Qb let’s say with late first or even better early second it I’d ridiculous to think one would have to start Edmonds at rb.  

Two Qb leagues with only ten teams you can take two stud qbs let’s say by round 6-7 and still have Rbs like Carson and Davis and WRs like Woods, Thielen and Kupp and Godwin.  

I just did a ten team mock, and I find it very elementary, it’s like being in a best ball draft imo. And even a lot easier if it’s a ppr league.  

Do you have any history in this league? Sometimes these superflex leagues undervalue QBs.

13 hours ago, tanatastic said:

After doing a couple 2QB mocks, I still stand by late QB. Late for this format being rnd 4/5. So I’d draft the best RB RB WR rnd 1-3 then for rnd 4-5 take the last 2 QBs on your list. It could be something like Burrow, Stafford, Tannehil etc. Don’t be the guy starting Chase Edmonds and Tee Higgins at RB/WR1 because your QB is 2 points a game better than the guy who waited on QB and Starts Henry and Calvin Ridley.

Last year, I got Josh Allen in the 8th round and Kirk Cousins in the 11th in a 10-team 2QB league. Another guy got Murray in the 6th and Brady in 10th, so I agree with you. 

Yeah I like the idea of taking a top back with the first pick and taking Mahomes, if he's there, with your 2nd pick. Taking Mahomes sends a message to the owners and they won't want to be left standing to 2 average QBs. Taking Mahomes may start a mini run on QBs that will leave good value on the other positions with your coming picks.