Sign in to follow this  
Ehlana

Late Round TE

I would like to draft Waller if I can, but if that doesn't work out I plan on waiting at TE. The problem is I'm not sure who I like as a late round TE. I have four guys I'm looking:

Irv Smith - Talented, but fourth in the pecking order behind Cook, Jefferson and Thielen. I'm not sure there are enough opportunities for him.

Mike Gesicki - Technically a TE, but also lines up in slot. I think he has a reasonable chance at 4-6 catches most weeks, so he won't really leave me with 2 for 11 weeks.

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry - The problem is there's two of them, and I have no idea week to week which one will have a decent game. I like Jakobi Myers, but there are not a lot of WRs on this team to steal receptions, although White will take some of them.

Thoughts on these guys or others I didn't mention?

0.75 ppr, 1 pt/10 yards.

Gesicki 

Thomas

Higbee

Firsker

You are on the right track Smith/Gesicke are the two I always target late. If they get snagged earlier than anticipated Jared Cook and Engram are usually there.

The guy I seem to come away with most often is Higbee. Not sure where he's going in relation to those guys, but I usually get him in the double digit rounds. 

There is no scoring difference between any of these players. Last year in PPR TE #5 scored 11 points per game and TE #20 scored 9 points per game.

If you do not get a stud you can wait and choose who falls while picking up value at other positions or you can just choose a guy that plays for a team you want to watch. There is no positional advantage to be had.

10 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

The guy I seem to come away with most often is Higbee. Not sure where he's going in relation to those guys, but I usually get him in the double digit rounds. 

Higbee always seems to go earlier in Ppr mocks than the others. I am skeptical of him though. I need to do more research but I recall that TEs didn’t exactly pop when Stafford was the QB.

I would probably not really worry about it and just draft whoever falls.

Then just plan to stream TEs, play TD roulette, go with the hot hand

6 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Higbee always seems to go earlier in Ppr mocks than the others. I am skeptical of him though. I need to do more research but I recall that TEs didn’t exactly pop when Stafford was the QB.

I don't think Stafford specifically targets TE's, but Hockenson put up solid numbers last year. I like that he is the only TE in this offense now, which gives him some upside in later rounds. If Thomas falls, I prefer him, but he seems to go a little earlier than I want to take a TE. 

I think Everett with the Hawks is another double digit pick. 

Finish this sentence:

The top five TEs in PPR points per game in 2020 were Kelce, Waller, Kittle, Andrews, and _______________________.

(The correct answer is C.J. Uzomah.)

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Finish this sentence:

The top five TEs in PPR points per game in 2020 were Kelce, Waller, Kittle, Andrews, and _______________________.

Yes yes we know. Uzomah was a top 5 TE Ppg average in that massive sample size, which is no doubt both statistically significant and highly reliable…

Just now, jrokh said:

Yes yes we know. Uzomah was a top 5 TE Ppg average in that massive sample size, which is no doubt both statistically significant and highly reliable…

It's more significant in a fantasy sense than a statistical one, but it should be pretty reliable, given that he doesn't have much competition, and you never forget your first NFL TD pass.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

It's more significant in a fantasy sense than a statistical one, but it should be pretty reliable, given that he doesn't have much competition, and you never forget your first NFL TD pass.

I’m 100% certain that he will not be drafted in my leagues, and his massive 11 fantasy points will make it affordable to get him with faab.

Just now, jrokh said:

I’m 100% certain that he will not be draft in my leagues, and his massive 11 fantasy points will make it affordable to get him with faab.

11.4 PPR per game in 2020, axually...

It looks like his 2020 PPG were caused by an outlier based upon his career stats. He did have a 440 yard season in 2019, which means that it would not be extremely suprising to see him get 600 yards this year. However, I will let someone else take him.

My favorite deep TE(14 team 30 roster spot) after everyone else is off the board is Jordan Akins.

CJ's career stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/U/UzomC.00.htm

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It looks like his 2020 PPG were caused by an outlier based upon his career stats.

And that 2020 outlier was caused by the departure of Tyler Eifert and the ascension of Uzomah to the TE1 position--an unusual condition which has endured for the 2021 season as well.

I don't know about your definition of "late, but these should be had late IMO

Graham

Shultz

Cook

I. Smith

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think Everett with the Hawks is another double digit pick. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jrokh said:

There's a young guy in Seattle that was tearing up camp named Colby Parkinson that is worth keeping an eye on.  He hurt his foot.  Seattle didn't really give any details, but they are waiting for the cut down to 53 to put him on IR indicating they would like to involve him this year.  

7 hours ago, jrokh said:

I don't know where people are getting Higbee in the double digit rounds, but I've been targeting him a lot and I have never seen him last until round 10 in a Yahoo best ball draft.  Round 8 or 9 maybe, but never double digits.

I don't know if people think he'll be running Matthew Stafford's offense or Sean McVay's offense, but in Sean McVay's offense, Higbee and Everett were targeted 122 times last season.  Everett is gone now.  So I think people are just doing the math.

I’ve seen Higbee last into the double digit rounds often. 

56 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I’ve seen Higbee last into the double digit rounds often. 

and Stafford uses his TE's. 

not to the extent where he would be top 5 but top 10 for sure

8 hours ago, joneo said:

I don't know about your definition of "late, but these should be had late IMO

Graham

Shultz

Cook

I. Smith

I like Schultz a lot but I think Blake Jarwin is still the guy and he's going relatively late too. I know Jarwin is coming off the ACL tear but it was an early injury so he should be back to full speed and FWIW I think he's the #1 on the depth chart. I LOVE where I've been able to grab him in mocks and best ball drafts.

Trautman may see a fair amount of targets unless.Winston reverts to his old self and throws downfield a lot. One guy.I'm looking hard at is Pittsburgh's Pat Freiermuth. Looked really good last preseason game. I think he ends up.with more tds than Pitts but his yardage totals.may not be that great. Think he ends up taking the TE1 job from Ebron midway through the season.  

5 hours ago, DocNiner said:

Trautman may see a fair amount of targets unless.Winston reverts to his old self and throws downfield a lot. One guy.I'm looking hard at is Pittsburgh's Pat Freiermuth. Looked really good last preseason game. I think he ends up.with more tds than Pitts but his yardage totals.may not be that great. Think he ends up taking the TE1 job from Ebron midway through the season.  

I think you may have forgotten that Freiermuth is a rookie TE.

He won’t have more tds then Pitts. 

Everett will feast in SEA and so will Higbee now that they're on different teams. Those two now being the #1 on their respective teams did all of us a favor. I agree with the other folks who have endorsed those 2. They are great later round targets who could put up top 6-8 TE numbers when it's all said and done. 

• Like 1

Guess we gotta take Irv Smith Jr off the list...

Darn it, he was very good double digit target. 

3 minutes ago, nobody said:

Isn't meniscus 4-6 weeks?  That's puts him back by week 3 or so.

He'd be a tough start in September.

Engram hurt his vag... er, um, calf.

No word on the severity, but the dude would be an injury risk in a flag football league.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:17 PM, AxeElf said:

Finish this sentence:

WOW, CJ only played in 2 games. Great statistic to bring up, great sample size.............. you sir are an idiot. 

3 minutes ago, jeffkomlo said:

WOW

I know, surprising, right?

I think my point has been made.

with that reasoning Marcus Mariota would be the 2nd ranked QB because he averaged 26.84 points last year IN HIS ONLY GAME! no.2 behind Prescott

Numbers guy humph......

I wouldn’t rank Mariota has the second highest ranked Qb in your draft if I was yous.  

Thanks. 

Rnds 1-3: Kelce, Waller, Kittle

Rnds 4-6: Pitts, Andrews, Hockenson, Thomas

Way too early for me. I'm busy stacking RB's and WR's.

Fant and Goedert ranked next, but both overrated IMO. No thanks.

That leaves Tonyan and Higbee. If I can get one in the 9th, I'm in. Otherwise waiting til the 12th or 13th for Jonnu Smith or Gerald Everett and then potentially waiver wire streaming rest of season.

Also Gesicki 

He just got hurt in preseason finale with a calf strain but I have a hard time believing how far Evan Engram's stock has fallen. Only 3 TE's had more targets than him last season. One has to think he'll luck into some more red zone targets and in general more TDs than the 1 he scored last season. 109 targets last season and you're getting him for basically free at the end of drafts or as a TE2.