Sign in to follow this  
Ehlana

Late Round TE

25 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

He just got hurt in preseason finale with a calf strain but I have a hard time believing how far Evan Engram's stock has fallen. Only 3 TE's had more targets than him last season. One has to think he'll luck into some more red zone targets and in general more TDs than the 1 he scored last season. 109 targets last season and you're getting him for basically free at the end of drafts or as a TE2.

IKR?  He was the TE7 in PPR points per game in both 2018 and 2019, and the TE4 as a rookie in 2017.  That 1 TD season was just an outlier, in a year where nothing went right for the Giants.

I do think he will lose some targets with healthier and better WRs around him--BUT, with Rudolph around to handle the underneath duties, Engram can be sent deep on more plays, so his targets may decrease, but his yardage and TDs should increase.

Even with all those targets last season, he was a mid Te2 based on points per game in ppr. 

To many options this season, he’s not on the radar, nor should he be.  

I got a modest deal on Andrews rather than wait for late. With Dobbins out I think he will get some more targets and they will just pound the rock more.

For late round guys I like fliers on Gesicki or Jarwin. Be flexible and open to dropping your guy to pick up a breakout who got a lot of targets to try and hit gold.

Te are all about stream and go, until you land a good one. And it does happen. 

Thanks. 

26 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Even with all those targets last season, he was a mid Te2 based on points per game in ppr. 

To many options this season, he’s not on the radar, nor should he be.  

Maybe you didn't read mine or Elf's post but if you gave him just 4 more TDs last season to a reasonable total of 5 for the season, then he would have easily cracked the top 10. Him only scoring 1 TD with all of those targets is an anomaly that most owners are not realizing, like yourself.

Why should I give him four more tds, how do you know that he’ll score four more tds this season?

I saw the facts of what happen last season, fact number one based on avg points per game he was a mid te2  , and that concludes the teaching of facts about Engram based on avg points per game last  season . Something that only you can’t handle, the truth, yea you can’t handle the truth lol   🤓 And what if he only played in eight games like in 2019 and only 11 like in 2018 see we can just keep this going on and on and on. 😀  And just because you think he might get more tds, doesn’t mean it will happen lol, oh foolish one   

Thanks  

Never play chess with a pigeon, Loonatik...  They only poop on the board and strut around like they won anyway.

• Haha 1

Conversely to why I'm extremely high on Engram is the same reason why Tonyan is a DND for me. TDs are impossible to predict. I prefer to go by targets and to a further extent redzone targets. Tonyan had half the targets that Engram had last season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Conversely to why I'm extremely high on Engram is the same reason why Tonyan is a DND for me. TDs are impossible to predict. I prefer to go by targets and to a further extent redzone targets. Tonyan had half the targets that Engram had last season. 

Yep, extremely doubtful that Tonyan scores 11 TDs again.  The only TE to even average close to 10 TDs a season over the past 3 years is Kelce, with 9.0.

Engram is going to avg six points per game, that’ll be one more then last season , that’ll make him a high te2 in ppr m

Thats whats going to happen. 

Thanks. 

Jonnu fell in my league to the 11th rd, so I had to take him, even though I drafted Hock earlier. Too good a value to pass up. Forget about H. Henry, I really think Jonnu is gonna be big this year. Belicheck has been on the record for well over a year expressing his love for Jonnu (“the best TE in the league after the catch”, I believe we’re his words), so it was no surprise NE signed him. Reports out of camp is they have Jonnu lining up all over the place, even the backfield.  It’s not like NE has a great WR corps, plus Mac Jones very likely will use his TE as a safety valve.  Too many things adding up for a nice season for Jonnu.  

18 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Too many things adding up for a nice season for Jonnu.  

I'm only concerned about the subtraction from the OTHER high-profile pass-catching TE they signed...

45 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I'm only concerned about the subtraction from the OTHER high-profile pass-catching TE they signed...

Think Gronk + Hernandez.  Jonnu is Gronk. 

30 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Think Gronk + Hernandez.  Jonnu is Gronk. 

You are definitely thinking of your father's Patriots (a passing team), which they are not in the post-Brady era circa 2021.  Last season they passed for 1500 fewer yards and rushed for 500 more yards than they had in the previous decade with Brady.

In their best season (2011), Gronk + Hernandez were good for 2,237 yards.  If those 1500 come off the TEs... Jonnu and Hunter will be splitting the remaining 737...

Just a thought...

Tyler Kroft Jets now the only game in town. Over 35% of Wilson’s td passes his kissy year at BYU went to TES

44 minutes ago, DrG said:

Tyler Kroft Jets now the only game in town. Over 35% of Wilson’s td passes his kissy year at BYU went to TES

That might be significant if the BYU coaching staff was now coaching the Jets.

But yeah, Axe Elf tipped you off to the new TE for the Jets in the 2nd week of preseason:

Indirectly axually  CJU reminded me how much  Rookie qbs often love their TES. The reads are easy and you have a big target. Not the same coaching staff, but the same tendency is there. The starting BYU TE had 12 tds on 37 catches.

And much like Dogs of the Dow, everyone is down on the Jets so ample room to exceed expectations.

21 hours ago, AxeElf said:

You are definitely thinking of your father's Patriots (a passing team), which they are not in the post-Brady era circa 2021.  Last season they passed for 1500 fewer yards and rushed for 500 more yards than they had in the previous decade with Brady.

In their best season (2011), Gronk + Hernandez were good for 2,237 yards.  If those 1500 come off the TEs... Jonnu and Hunter will be splitting the remaining 737...

Just a thought...

Jonnu’s FLOOR is 8 tds this year. Write it down. 

8 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

You already did.  And now I've quoted it, so you can't come back and change it.

29 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Maybe his ceiling but his floor is more like 3, or 2 which he posted 3 out of 4 years

New Orleans Juwan Johnson converted from WR to TE, Trautman banged up. Picked in the last round, he is gaining some traction though and starting to be drafted regularly. 

On 8/30/2021 at 12:07 PM, GobbleDog said:

Rnds 1-3: Kelce, Waller, Kittle

Rnds 4-6: Pitts, Andrews, Hockenson, Thomas

Way too early for me. I'm busy stacking RB's and WR's.

Fant and Goedert ranked next, but both overrated IMO. No thanks.

That leaves Tonyan and Higbee. If I can get one in the 9th, I'm in. Otherwise waiting til the 12th or 13th for Jonnu Smith or Gerald Everett and then potentially waiver wire streaming rest of season.

Why do you like TJ Hockenson so much more than Noah Fant?

Super late, I like Gerald Everett and Juwon... I'm really high on Higbee, but he was flying off the board... too rich for my blood

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, LoOnAtIk said:

Yeah but Tonyan caught 88% of his targets and Engram only caught 58% of his.   Probably something to do with who's throwing to them (maybe another reason that it certainly seems possible Tonyan comes close to last year's TD totals), but Tonyan might just be a better receiver.

Not to mention last year was really the first year Tonyan got much playing time...maybe his TD's go down but I think his yards probably go up.  

Plus if Engram is already dinged up, and also missed a bunch of games in 2018 and 2019, could be injury prone...

Cobb might take away some targets and yardage from Tonyan, plus Dillon is going to get more short yardage work which includes goal line work.  I think Tonyan is a bit of a wild card this season, I think he’ have a hard time avg 8 points per game again, I think he’ll be more of a low te1 or a high te 2.  

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Yeah but Tonyan caught 88% of his targets and Engram only caught 58% of his.   Probably something to do with who's throwing to them (maybe another reason that it certainly seems possible Tonyan comes close to last year's TD totals), but Tonyan might just be a better receiver.

Not to mention last year was really the first year Tonyan got much playing time...maybe his TD's go down but I think his yards probably go up.  

Plus if Engram is already dinged up, and also missed a bunch of games in 2018 and 2019, could be injury prone...

Tonyan is not a better receiver when you consider the fact that Engram basically is a WR. He’s a very small TE. Tonyan is your traditional big boy. Engram has the potential to be a monster. Tonyan’s floor is certainly higher but you’re paying for it with his ADP. Engram is going undrafted now with this injury and his ceiling is as high as any TE outside of the top 3.

2 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Tonyan is not a better receiver when you consider the fact that Engram basically is a WR. He’s a very small TE. Tonyan is your traditional big boy. Engram has the potential to be a monster. Tonyan’s floor is certainly higher but you’re paying for it with his ADP. Engram is going undrafted now with this injury and his ceiling is as high as any TE outside of the top 3.

Bringing in Kyle Rudolph also gives them a TE to handle the underneath stuff, freeing up Engram to go on more field-stretching routes--which should be a good thing for his production.  Maybe fewer targets (but I don't get points for targets), but hopefully more yardage and TDs.

2 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I guess it just speaks to the lack of quality TE's, but I feel like you could probably say the same thing about like 12+ guys.  His "ceiling" is probably about 800 yards and 6 TD's, maybe slightly more with the extra game.

5 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

His "ceiling" is probably about 800 yards and 6 TD's,

Yeah, I'll take that.  TE4 would be perfectly acceptable.

19 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yeah, I'll take that.  TE4 would be perfectly acceptable.

Yeah that was my point.  There's probably like 15 guys who have that same ceiling.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:58 PM, LoOnAtIk said:

I like Schultz a lot but I think Blake Jarwin is still the guy and he's going relatively late too. I know Jarwin is coming off the ACL tear but it was an early injury so he should be back to full speed and FWIW I think he's the #1 on the depth chart. I LOVE where I've been able to grab him in mocks and best ball drafts.

Schultz is looking good!

Never a need to draft a TE before double digit rounds, and it’s true once again. 

But im sure the discussion will continue next off season.