gocolts

Message from Gocolts' Son

2 minutes ago, Artista said:

I knew his health was deteriorating. He had a lot of dr appointments. I was diagnosed with cancer at 50. He couldn't imagine that and mentioned he was worried about his own health approaching 50. 

I'm confident you will continue to gain strength and purpose in life as you're determined to do right by him and your grandparents. He always wanted you to be happy and successful. That was his only concern and prayer. He loved you so. He was so proud of you, and I know you will continue making him proud. Xx

Thank you. I'll make sure I achieve the things I always talked to him about - my community, my game development studio, and maybe do some of the things he never go the chance to.

I'll do my best to make him proud.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, haloman30 said:

Thank you. I'll make sure I achieve the things I always talked to him about - my community, my game development studio, and maybe do some of the things he never go the chance to.

I'll do my best to make him proud.

🙏🏻

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:38 PM, Bill E. said:

Man so sorry.  I sent him a couple fossils one year that he used as gifts.  We messaged back and forth for awhile and like a lot of others here I missed him over the last few years.  I always hoped he would be back.  So sorry for for your loss.

I just realized - if you're the guy I'm thinking of, I remember dad getting a few of those and I've still got a cupholder thing and a necklace.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/281545767993475072/883271289136103424/IMG_20210903_034351448.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haloman30 said:

I just realized - if you're the guy I'm thinking of, I remember dad getting a few of those and I've still got a cupholder thing and a necklace.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/281545767993475072/883271289136103424/IMG_20210903_034351448.jpg

Yea those were from me.  I think he was a little short one year around Christmas.  He was a good guy and was missed around here.  He was one of the nice ones.

• Like 3

I just checked out your website. Impressive. Computer software programming is definitely your thing. 

On 8/31/2021 at 8:02 AM, edjr said:

That is all I am asking. I always have to be the "bad guy" 

pocolts and I got along really well. As mentioned before, I was commish of the DNDL and he was in for many years.

First of all, my condolences to go colts son. I can’t say I was as friendly with him as a lot of you seem to have been. I wasn’t on a real name basis with him. But I do remember him talking about his son a lot (also complaining about stuff a lot but I guess that’s what this forum is for… an outlet right?) and he seemed like a genuinely good dude. RIP

That said, @edjr , I just read all this today and starting from the first post I’ll be honest I began feeling the same as what I eventually saw you posting.  I knew right away this was going to be about him passing away and my emotions quickly went from “damn that’s horrible” to “something seems a little odd here”. Most likely because the original post quickly went from my dad died to talking about debt. Sure, no money was asked for but as soon as the tone shifted to talking about debt, I knew one or two geeks at least would ask about a go fund me or ask to send some money via PayPal or venmo. 

obviously as I read on I realized this all seems sadly legit. 

but that doesn’t mean that someone WOULDNT attempt to grab some money. It’s not that hard. And no you don’t even have to ask for it. You can just casually throw the debt situation out there and see what nibbles you get. Play it like you are not looking for any handouts, “begrudgingly” give your info and one person gives you some money and it snowballs. Then you finally post a go fund me. As sad as it sounds I believe there are definitely people who would take the time to do this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

First of all, my condolences to go colts son. I can’t say I was as friendly with him as a lot of you seem to have been. I wasn’t on a real name basis with him. But I do remember him talking about his son a lot (also complaining about stuff a lot but I guess that’s what this forum is for… an outlet right?) and he seemed like a genuinely good dude. RIP

That said, @edjr , I just read all this today and starting from the first post I’ll be honest I began feeling the same as what I eventually saw you posting.  I knew right away this was going to be about him passing away and my emotions quickly went from “damn that’s horrible” to “something seems a little odd here”. Most likely because the original post quickly went from my dad died to talking about debt. Sure, no money was asked for but as soon as the tone shifted to talking about debt, I knew one or two geeks at least would ask about a go fund me or ask to send some money via PayPal or venmo. 

obviously as I read on I realized this all seems sadly legit. 

but that doesn’t mean that someone WOULDNT attempt to grab some money. It’s not that hard. And no you don’t even have to ask for it. You can just casually throw the debt situation out there and see what nibbles you get. Play it like you are not looking for any handouts, “begrudgingly” give your info and one person gives you some money and it snowballs. Then you finally post a go fund me. As sad as it sounds I believe there are definitely people who would take the time to do this. 

Yeah - those people do exist unfortunately.

I brought up the debt because initially (and still currently to some extent), the finances are still my primary concern. That being said things are already progressing in the right direction - all of the bills excluding the mortgage on my place are caught up, and I should be good for the rest of the month. At the start, I was not only dealing with the shock of finding my father dead, but then coupled with that was the fear of realizing that basically every bill was a month behind and that there was basically no money available to work with to start getting things caught up. I was fearful that my utilities and such were on the verge of shutoff, and that I might even be at risk of foreclosure soon.

For what it's worth - dad's burial costs have been covered as of now, with the burial date being Tuesday (September 7th). The 4000 that we originally thought we needed was reduced a considerable amount thanks to some assistance the funeral home told us we could get, and proceeds from the GoFundMe and other stuff was able to cover the rest. So if your main reason for contribution is to help dad be laid to rest, you can put your wallet away - as dad will be laid to rest soon. For the sake of transparency, any future funds will just end up going directly to me to help with finances and bills and such. Once again, though - I'll likely be alright. I've got money, enough for the rest of the month, and once things are said and done I'll be in pretty decent shape.

But yeah, that's why I said in earlier posts that I understand the skepticism. Awful people do exist and would either use a terrible situation to get profit, or would make up some kind of situation for money. I hold nothing against Ed or the others who felt (and maybe still do) feel skeptical. I can understand seeing the money stuff being brought up and thinking "oh man is this another one of those scams". And like I said, I think at this point I'm past the point of needing any real financial help - so thank you to anyone here who happened to contribute, as the funds raised have helped a great deal.

1 hour ago, Bishop82 said:

Holy Gary died?

My condolences to @gocolts family.

Thank you - I feel like a broken record at this point but I really do appreciate everyone's kind words.

And I only brought it up and quoted Edjr in a sense to tell him I would have probably been the “bad guy” questioning things if I had seen all Of this sooner (before the obit and people mentioning the Facebook posts)

again I am very sorry for your loss. I played in some FF leagues with your dad. Always was a good guy 👍🏼 

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

And I only brought it up and quoted Edjr in a sense to tell him I would have probably been the “bad guy” questioning things if I had seen all Of this sooner (before the obit and people mentioning the Facebook posts)

again I am very sorry for your loss. I played in some FF leagues with your dad. Always was a good guy 👍🏼 

who are you?

14 hours ago, haloman30 said:

Yeah - those people do exist unfortunately.

I brought up the debt because initially (and still currently to some extent), the finances are still my primary concern. That being said things are already progressing in the right direction - all of the bills excluding the mortgage on my place are caught up, and I should be good for the rest of the month. At the start, I was not only dealing with the shock of finding my father dead, but then coupled with that was the fear of realizing that basically every bill was a month behind and that there was basically no money available to work with to start getting things caught up. I was fearful that my utilities and such were on the verge of shutoff, and that I might even be at risk of foreclosure soon.

For what it's worth - dad's burial costs have been covered as of now, with the burial date being Tuesday (September 7th). The 4000 that we originally thought we needed was reduced a considerable amount thanks to some assistance the funeral home told us we could get, and proceeds from the GoFundMe and other stuff was able to cover the rest. So if your main reason for contribution is to help dad be laid to rest, you can put your wallet away - as dad will be laid to rest soon. For the sake of transparency, any future funds will just end up going directly to me to help with finances and bills and such. Once again, though - I'll likely be alright. I've got money, enough for the rest of the month, and once things are said and done I'll be in pretty decent shape.

But yeah, that's why I said in earlier posts that I understand the skepticism. Awful people do exist and would either use a terrible situation to get profit, or would make up some kind of situation for money. I hold nothing against Ed or the others who felt (and maybe still do) feel skeptical. I can understand seeing the money stuff being brought up and thinking "oh man is this another one of those scams". And like I said, I think at this point I'm past the point of needing any real financial help - so thank you to anyone here who happened to contribute, as the funds raised have helped a great deal.

Thank you - I feel like a broken record at this point but I really do appreciate everyone's kind words.

No comments from family or friends on his obit page after 5 days. Strange. 

51 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Just stop already. Many commented on his fb page including me. You are free to believe he's alive and well and they are making thousands. What's it to you anyway? You haven't been here that long and probably never read a post from him since his last post was before you joined. Gary was a member for years so many of us know him. Quit being a newbie azz.

1 hour ago, Artista said:

Just stop already. Many commented on his fb page including me. You are free to believe he's alive and well and they are making thousands. What's it to you anyway? You haven't been here that long and probably never read a post from him since his last post was before you joined. Gary was a member for years so many of us know him. Quit being a newbie azz.

How were the private services?

19 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Lots of pics of “Gary” standing with no wheelchair in sight. 🤔🤔

By the way, how much did your fat ass contribute to his gofundme? 

Driving as of 4/4 too. 👮🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Lots of pics of “Gary” standing with no wheelchair in sight. 🤔🤔

By the way, how much did your fat ass contribute to his gofundme? 

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

Driving as of 4/4 too. 👮🏻‍♂️

Yeah, he was never in a wheelchair. He had a bad knees and back but was able to manage with painkillers and a cane. He could still drive and walk around well enough - just not for very long and not without pain. I remember him looking to possibly get surgery for it but ended up backing out since back then supposedly there was a risk of making things even worse and even more painful, so he just kinda dealt with it as best he could.

3 hours ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Yeah, all the comments and messages are all on Facebook. Grandpa was buried with the same funeral home and there's no comments on his page either.

21 minutes ago, haloman30 said:

Yeah, he was never in a wheelchair. He had a bad knees and back but was able to manage with painkillers and a cane. He could still drive and walk around well enough - just not for very long and not without pain. I remember him looking to possibly get surgery for it but ended up backing out since back then supposedly there was a risk of making things even worse and even more painful, so he just kinda dealt with it as best he could.

Yeah, all the comments and messages are all on Facebook. Grandpa was buried with the same funeral home and there's no comments on his page either.

Dillon

Don't respond to those people. On this board there are azzholes that don't care that just like to troll. You don't need that. This board isn't worth it. There's a reason why many have left. You know who liked Gary. That's all you need to know. It'll never end if you keep responding to those posts. That's how it goes here. Xx

So there’s an opening in his fantasy league? 👀

RIP to a silverback. 
I remember him well.
A cool cat

😔

• Like 2

I haven't been on the board in a while, and am very sorry to hear about the passing of GoColts.  The silverback tribe gets a little thinner each year.  :sad:

pocoltsjr

Hey all, thought of this place again this morning and thought I'd drop on by with some updates in case anyone cares - been busy with stuff and never really got the chance to do so beforehand.

We did end up managing to sell one of the two properties we had - one that used to belong to his parents/my grandparents. Was a pretty big plot of land and managed to get some decent cash out of it. And not a moment too soon, I honestly don't know how the hell I managed to scrape by until that point.

I know that some of y'all were a bit sketched on the GoFundMe, which I entirely understand. To be honest, I never really wanted to make one at the start - but for those who did end up contributing, I have to once again say thanks to all of you - both on here and elsewhere, that money was one of the few things that managed to keep things going just long enough before we got that property sold.

To give an idea of how close it got, the exact day we closed the property sale with the realtor, I had to put in 200$ from selling dads wrecked van, because my bank account was down to like 8 bucks and my mobile phone carrier bill was set to come out that same day. It was absolutely down to the wire - needless to say, it was quite a relief to cash that check. Thankfully a good chunk was available right away, with the rest becoming available later on the following week.

Since then, we've (we being me, my mom, grandma, and other family from time to time) been working on getting my house in order - since both my dad and myself were doing a less-than-stellar job of keeping things well maintained and orderly. But things are a lot better now - and I'm currently on the hunt for a job and working on getting my driver's license - yeah, I still don't have one this far in - last time I tried to drive was with dad putting me in the truck and basically just telling me what did what and saying "drive". This time around I'm going through a proper driving school. I've got my permit already actually, but here in Indiana I still have to wait 180 days before I can get my actual license.

One of the first things I did with the money was getting the mortgage on my current house paid off - which yes, makes me a homeowner at 23 (22 at the time actually). And it's not just any house, it's my very childhood home, where I've lived basically my whole life, short of the few years I lived with mom in the next city over. Fun fact, too: my dad was 22 when he first bought this place, the same age I was when paying off the mortgage. Funny how that ended up lining up.

Besides that, I've been continuing to run my online community and work on my other projects, mostly game development related. I'm actually hoping to form an LLC come January, with the hope of getting a smaller game published sometime not too long after - but time will still have to tell on that regard.

At any rate, things have been fairly decent all things considered. Obviously it sucks not having dad around, but thus far I've managed to be alright - more alright than I imagined I would've been. Before he passed, there were several days where he failed to show up to take me to work and of course my mind went to the worst - and each of those times I was more and more convinced that I was gonna be an absolute train wreck if I lost him - though I perhaps wonder if maybe part of it is that I somehow subconsciously saw it coming. Even on the last phone call I had with him, I could tell that something wasn't right - and I thought that he was probably not gonna be around a whole lot longer. Granted, I was thinking maybe a few more years - not a few more days. Even after the property was sold and everything, I was thinking that maybe it'd hit me like a brick wall at some point - but it's been over a year, and no brick walls have been hit, and I think it's safe to say that I don't think they will at this point. The closest I got was that first week after he passed, where it genuinely was just really difficult to even exist and I was just kind of in shock, enough to where it was difficult to even eat and I was pretty nauseous for several days. I suppose I expected that kind of stuff to last longer, but after that week it was tolerable, and it's been tolerable since - which I'm grateful for.

That's another thing that has at least helped me - yeah it sucks that I lost him so relatively soon, but at least he saw me graduate high school, get my first few jobs, and got to see me (mostly) grow up. And on top of that, while I didn't have him as long as I'd have wanted, at least he was a great dad and not some kind of deadbeat. I have similar thoughts about my grandmother on my dads side, who we lost back in 2014, after my first week of high school. She was an absolute saint - and while again it sucked to lose her so soon, at least she saw me start high school - and at least she was an awesome grandmother. And on top of it all - owning a house, even if a small one, in this day and age - and at such a young age. It's an absolutely massive privilege that is not lost on me - and I do my best to try and not take it for granted. And for me at least, I find it's been helpful for those handful of times where I'm feeling a bit down. 

I know I don't check in here often and wasn't ever really directly a part of this place, but dad often mentioned this place from time to time - I remember one time him telling me that some big topic in here got deleted on accident a few years back, though I forget specifically what it was - and I even recall him mentioning several of y'alls usernames over the years. But I hope all you guys are still doing well - also, sorry for not posting anything a bit sooner - as I said, a whole lot has happened since last year.

If there's anything I can do for any of you guys, or if any of yall wanna talk or whatever - feel free to holler!

• Like 3

Thanks for the update, glad that timing worked out for you, and Merry Christmas.

You're welcome to hang around too if you want.

• Like 1