Sign in to follow this  
DEEZNUTS

Cam Newton Released

I guess Damien Harris gets a slight bump. I don't know if I will be drafting anyone else from this team.

a bit surprising.   Mac must have really showed well in camp.

This is a move I would have bet on happening next year, but not this quick.

Hopefully Mac Jones is up to the challenge.

How about Cam to the Texans?  He was released so that he could pursue other options.  Makes a lot of sense to me and they can probably get him cheap.  Could be a band-aid until they trade Watson which could be next year.  

I think it just goes to show that this isn't your father's Patriots any more.

Over the previous decade with Tom Brady, the Patriots averaged 4,576 yards passing and 1,849 yards rushing per season.

In 2020, without Tom Brady, the Patriots passed for 1,450 yards less (3,124) and rushed for 500 yards more (2,346) than their average for the rest of the decade.

I don't think they're gonna axe Mac Jones to do much more than be an efficient game manager, and win with defense and a ball-control offense.

Congratulations, Damien Harris owners...  You got the Michel trade...  You got the QB swap...  Now go get that top 20 season...

25 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I guess Damien Harris gets a slight bump. I don't know if I will be drafting anyone else from this team.

I think Stevenson is worth a gamble later on, but ideally as someone who starts off hot and can be used as trade bait before Belichick starts playing games with his RB.

52 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Damien Harris owners...  You got the Michel trade...  You got the QB swap...  Now go get that top 20 season...

Instead of saying "Damien Harris owners", you could've just said "Smart people".

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Instead of saying "Damien Harris owners", you could've just said "Smart people".

I wanted to have an audience here.

Cowboys maybe? They just released a couple of quarterbacks. He might actually be a good fit as Dak's backup. 

8 minutes ago, DEEZNUTS said:

Cowboys maybe? They just released a couple of quarterbacks. He might actually be a good fit as Dak's backup. 

He would be no better than what they had last year... might be worse.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

a bit surprising.   Mac must have really showed well in camp.

This is a move I would have bet on happening next year, but not this quick.

Hopefully Mac Jones is up to the challenge.

I'm in the Boston area.  Mac completely LIT UP the NY Giants defense in a practice, and their defense was solid last year.  And, Mac showed well in the preseason games.  He impressed teammates and coaches all training camp, with how he learned the offense.  And, he even grabbed the defensive play book, to better understand what a defense could do against the offensive play calls.  He TOTALLY went to the ideal team / situation, by "falling" to 15 and the NE pick in the draft.

Of course. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Bills04 said:

I'm in the Boston area.  Mac completely LIT UP the NY Giants defense in a practice, and their defense was solid last year.  And, Mac showed well in the preseason games.  He impressed teammates and coaches all training camp, with how he learned the offense.  And, he even grabbed the defensive play book, to better understand what a defense could do against the offensive play calls.  He TOTALLY went to the ideal team / situation, by "falling" to 15 and the NE pick in the draft.

Good info to know.

Feels Brady like..... early in his career he impressed in the same way.   he had a huge hunger for knowledge that allowed him to learn and integrate the offense quickly.

I remember when he first came on the scene, Drew Bledsoe was the QB and he was extremely well regarded and suddenly Bledsoe was gone and Brady was in.  Everyone was like Who the hell is this kid.... who unseated a well regarded top 10 (at the time) QB for a starting gig.

took Brady a couple years to put up the huge numbers but it did happen.

13 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Good info to know.

Feels Brady like..... early in his career he impressed in the same way.   he had a huge hunger for knowledge that allowed him to learn and integrate the offense quickly.

I remember when he first came on the scene, Drew Bledsoe was the QB and he was extremely well regarded and suddenly Bledsoe was gone and Brady was in.  Everyone was like Who the hell is this kid.... who unseated a well regarded top 10 (at the time) QB for a starting gig.

took Brady a couple years to put up the huge numbers but it did happen.

Of course at the time, Belichick was known for cutting Bernie Kosar for Todd Philcox.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19931108&slug=1730585

33 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

It's a little more dramatic when a 6th round pick unseats a successful QB than when a 15th overall pick takes over for a lame duck.

35 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

It's a little more dramatic when a 6th round pick unseats a successful QB than when a 15th overall pick takes over for a lame duck.

I agree.   

Newton was once great, but hes not the same player.   Not anymore.

4 hours ago, DEEZNUTS said:

Rumor has it, they're talking about it.

He would be a good fit in Dallas behind Dak

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

I don't see it.  The Cowboys have a sophisticated passing offense.  Cam isn't much of a passer, any more, and they don't need a running QB. He'd be worse than Ben DiNucci for that offense.

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

Rumor has it, they're talking about it.

maybe.

Newton is still a mobilie QB.  perhaps not as mobile as he once was, but mobile enough.    Dak is also mobile, so the advantage in bringing in Newton is they likely dont need to change the playbook if Dak gets hurt again.   Newton should be able to run all the same plays.   perhaps less efficiently (thus the reason hes the backup) but he will have the skillset to do it.

thats the main reason to bring him in.   Provided the asking price on a contract is reasonable.

27 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I think its the Cigar.

its all about image.🤣