Sign in to follow this  
BiPolarBear

Nobody Had to Tell Me It Is Dove Season.

A large group of dove flew over this morning, like they were missiles; booking it and making a few dips and dodges as they went. I checked, and yes; September 1st is the start of dove season in North Texas. If you see a dove flying over you now, you can throw your arms up like you are holding a shotgun, and it will totally spaz out. Lol. 

My relations with land have all died out. I have the shotgun and the shells, but no land to hunt. Public land is off the table for me. Too many armed kooks. Speaking of armed kooks; anybody can carry a gun in Texas now, with no permit or training. That probably deserves its own thread.

2 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

A large group of dove flew over this morning, like they were missiles; booking it and making a few dips and dodges as they went. I checked, and yes; September 1st is the start of dove season in North Texas. If you see a dove flying over you now, you can throw your arms up like you are holding a shotgun, and it will totally spaz out. Lol. 

My relations with land have all died out. I have the shotgun and the shells, but no land to hunt. Public land is off the table for me. Too many armed kooks. Speaking of armed kooks; anybody can carry a gun in Texas now, with no permit or training. That probably deserves its own thread.

Texas hunting is the worst. Pay ridiculous amount of money to hunt leases and kill basically tame animals.

I loved hunting public lands in Wyoming and Montana. You had to hike miles upon miles to find the animals for the most part. With the exception of waterfowl of course.

When I was 18, me and my best friend went on an epic West Texas dove hunt with his dad and his dad's best friend. The land owners were related to the dad's friend. He had carried a Browning pump 12 gauge shooting brass shells, during WWII, fighting the Japanese on the Pacific Islands. His relatives had about 3,000 acres, and not much cash. The hunters had killed off the coyotes, and there were jack rabbits out the ass. The rabbits ate their planted fields down to the ground every night. 

When we went out hunting in the morning, I was shooting dove right off, along with every jack rabbit that moved. It was the best hunting I had ever seen, and somebody yelled out "Here they come!!" I looked over and saw a black cloud of doves, rising up, and headed our way. I burned myself on my gun barrel. We killed 110 dove, and set up two long tables to clean them. 

That night, the four of us loaded up in the back of a pickup, with side boards. We each had a shotgun, and cases of shells. I am thinking we are going to humor the old man, and shoot a few rabbits, which was fine with me. He pulled up to a gate to a plowed field with his lights off, and an old preacher got out of the cab, and swung open the gate. The red reflections from the jack rabbit eyes were everywhere, and they started running every which-a-way. The pickup was bouncing all over the place because of the plowing. me and my friend would shoot until we need to reload, and the two men would take our place. I stopped counting at 80 rabbits, and a skunk.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I loved hunting public lands in Wyoming and Montana. You had to hike miles upon miles to find the animals for the most part. With the exception of waterfowl of course.

I envy you. Did you hunt any pronghorns? 

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Texas hunting is the worst. Pay ridiculous amount of money to hunt leases and kill basically tame animals.

Yeah, I never really saw the sport in hunting in Texas. You put out a deer feeder free 364 days out of the year and then one day the deer walks up and BLAM!

Not to mention sitting in deer stand for like 9 hours waiting for this defenseless clueless deer to come get a snack.

1 hour ago, BiPolarBear said:

Never.

Although I did get a deer most years, 90% of my hunting was for birds. Of that probably 75% was pheasant/grouse and a fair bit of waterfowl as well.

1 hour ago, BiPolarBear said:

Jackalope mostly. 

Wily critters. 

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Never.

Although I did get a deer most years, 90% of my hunting was for birds. Of that probably 75% was pheasant/grouse and a fair bit of waterfowl as well.

If 90% of your hunting was for birds and you still got a deer every year?

You were aiming waay too fulking low.

3 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

When I was 18, me and my best friend went on an epic West Texas dove hunt with his dad and his dad's best friend. The land owners were related to the dad's friend. He had carried a Browning pump 12 gauge shooting brass shells, during WWII, fighting the Japanese on the Pacific Islands. His relatives had about 3,000 acres, and not much cash. The hunters had killed off the coyotes, and there were jack rabbits out the ass. The rabbits ate their planted fields down to the ground every night. 

When we went out hunting in the morning, I was shooting dove right off, along with every jack rabbit that moved. It was the best hunting I had ever seen, and somebody yelled out "Here they come!!" I looked over and saw a black cloud of doves, rising up, and headed our way. I burned myself on my gun barrel. We killed 110 dove, and set up two long tables to clean them. 

That night, the four of us loaded up in the back of a pickup, with side boards. We each had a shotgun, and cases of shells. I am thinking we are going to humor the old man, and shoot a few rabbits, which was fine with me. He pulled up to a gate to a plowed field with his lights off, and an old preacher got out of the cab, and swung open the gate. The red reflections from the jack rabbit eyes were everywhere, and they started running every which-a-way. The pickup was bouncing all over the place because of the plowing. me and my friend would shoot until we need to reload, and the two men would take our place. I stopped counting at 80 rabbits, and a skunk.

Good stuff.  Reminds me of hunting squirrels on the family pecan farm.  

The pecan grove was surrounded by oak, cottonwood and other weed trees.  The squirrels all nested in those woods, but would come out to the pecan grove to feast.  

My grandpa drove the truck and I was set up with a 20 gauge looking over the cab.  Every evening we would drive down to the grove and head for certain groups of pecan trees.  As soon as my grandpa saw the squirrels hit the ground and run for the woods, he would gun the truck towards them, slam on the brakes and I'd start blasting.  We picked 'em up, tossed them in the woods for the scavengers and went to the next set of trees.

When I was alone, I would do something similar on the tractor. 

We did that for about 2-3 months straight during the summers.  The squirrels only liked the pecans when they were green.  Once the shells started to harden out, they weren't interested. 

We also trapped them, but that was not nearly as fun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Yep. It’s what pissed me off the most about Texas. Couldn’t find any damn public land to hunt on. Everything is privately owned and if you want to hunt on it you’re shelling out thousands of dollars to basically shoot a caged up animal. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

Good stuff.  Reminds me of hunting squirrels on the family pecan farm.  

The pecan grove was surrounded by oak, cottonwood and other weed trees.  The squirrels all nested in those woods, but would come out to the pecan grove to feast.  

My grandpa drove the truck and I was set up with a 20 gauge looking over the cab.  Every evening we would drive down to the grove and head for certain groups of pecan trees.  As soon as my grandpa saw the squirrels hit the ground and run for the woods, he would gun the truck towards them, slam on the brakes and I'd start blasting.  We picked 'em up, tossed them in the woods for the scavengers and went to the next set of trees.

When I was alone, I would do something similar on the tractor. 

We did that for about 2-3 months straight during the summers.  The squirrels only liked the pecans when they were green.  Once the shells started to harden out, they weren't interested. 

We also trapped them, but that was not nearly as fun. 

My best friend was shooting a 20 gauge L.C. Smith double, right next to me in that truck. I sure would like to have one. I am stuck (lol) with my dad's 12 gauge Remington 1100. 

• Like 1

I've never heard 1 person say they're craving dove meat... Venison, duck - yes, but never dove. 

If ever a hunt was about blowing shiit out of the air, it's dove season. 

4 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I've never heard 1 person say they're craving dove meat... Venison, duck - yes, but never dove. 

I had Dove. Tastes like soap.

My in laws own a ranch; so my BIL and son go dove hunting up there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

If ever a hunt was about blowing shiit out of the air, it's dove season. 

I’d rather have goose, duck, or pheasant than dove. Like you said, it’s more of an excuse to blow sh1t out of the sky. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I’d rather have goose, duck, or pheasant than dove. Like you said, it’s more of an excuse to blow sh1t out of the sky. 

I worked for Thomas Bros. Maps in Cali. A dove flew into the window and killed itself. I ripped the breast off of it, and had the guy on the taco truck make me two tacos out of it. He chopped it up and cooked it with chile powder, onion, and lime juice. it was excellent. 

11 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

A group of resting pronghorn let me walk right through the middle of them once in the Black Hills.  Was pretty f-ing cool.

ETA:  Custer State Park

Went dove hunting once. Got some. Cooked it up. Tastes like liver. I hate liver. Quail on the other hand taste great BBQ'd with a jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed up the pooper wrapped in bacon.  

26 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

BBQ'd with a jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed up the pooper wrapped in bacon.  

Yours or theirs?

5 minutes ago, remote controller said:

A very humbling 7 dove out of 20 shots.  I was 1 for 8 starting out and heated up some going 6 for 12.

I believe the national average is 5 per box. You are golden. :thumbsup: