AxeElf

College Football 2021

It's not fantasy, but if we could just have ONE thread about college football please..?

I remember back when the first three or four weeks of the college football season was just record-padding--games against FCS or scrub FBS teams that weren't any more interesting to watch than NFL preseason games.  But this trend lately of having meaningful games early in the season is hitting the fan in opening weekend of 2021...

Minnesota put up a heckuva home opener against #4 Ohio State tonight--but the wind went out of their sails when Mohamed Ibrahim, expected to be one of the nation's top RB prospects after choosing to return for his senior year, appeared to tear his Achilles in the 3rd Q.  His season is likely over.  His NFL career, once gleaming, is now sketchy.

And there are more games with huge implications coming this weekend...

#1 Alabama at #14 Miami

#5 Georgia at #3 Clemson

#19 Penn State at #12 Wisconsin

#17 Indiana at #18 Iowa

#23 Louisiana at #21 Texas

#9 Notre Dame at Florida State

#10 North Carolina at Virginia Tech

Michigan State at Northwestern

I mean, this is like a week right out of the heart of the conference races--in Week 1!

Even the Boise State at UCF game was kind of an interesting matchup tonight--the first meeting between the two teams in history!  And it was a 1-point Boise State lead with 5 minutes to go in the game.  (Then UCF scored, failed a 2pt conversion attempt, intercepted Boise's final drive in their own red zone, and ran out the clock.)

The NFL doesn't wanna play this week?  Fine, be that way.  I got stuff to do.

Key to this post, it’s not f f. 

Erase. 

Thanks w

And we have our first upset--#10 North Carolina goes down to Virginia Tech.  It's hard to imagine North Carolina was even in the game late in the 4th quarter--it seemed like VT was doing anything they wanted (they just suffered from some key turnovers at inopportune times).  But yeah, NC had a potentially game-tying 2 minute drill that ended with an "interception" that was less of a catch than Megatron's.  Fun game.

I like the idea of at least one thread dedicated to college football because many of the players we watch in college are prospects for next year FF!!   OSU has more tailbacks and WR's than they know what to do with!    lol   They need some help on defense for sure!

Awesome slate of games for today!!    

3 hours ago, Maulers1973 said:

I like the idea of at least one thread dedicated to college football because many of the players we watch in college are prospects for next year FF!!   OSU has more tailbacks and WR's than they know what to do with!    lol   They need some help on defense for sure!

Awesome slate of games for today!!    

I agree. This is a great idea. It'll be a great place to watch and discuss future prospects also. I'm very down on the 2022 draft class. But maybe a thread like this will open my eyes on some kids. :thumbsup:

S Frost gets to keep his job, they beat up mighty  Fordham. 

Yea I’m from Nebraska them and Nevada Reno only two cf teams I follow. 

Oh boy it’s big proud day in Nebraska we can’t beat a big 12  team , but we showed those kids from Fordham, go big red.  

Thanks w

Interesting that the last three starting QBs for both Alabama and Oklahoma will all be starting on opening day in the NFL, and Jalen Hurts is two of them.

Double victory wow, UNR goes down to Cal and beats up on the Bears.  

2-0 is a great Saturday. 

Speaking of garbage, Clemson looked lost most of the game.   I mean QB and WR not on the same page at least 7 or 8 plays!  That's horrible!!   Plus GA never threw down the field.  They looked really bad!!    

Best player I saw from a fantasy perspective week 1 was Chris Olave. He put those Minnesota DB's on skates.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Best player I saw from a fantasy perspective week 1 was Chris Olave. He put those Minnesota DB's on skates.

As an Ohio state fan and avid fantasy player, he reminds me of Antonio brown. Decent physicals, but just has the art of wide receiver down. Not sure I’ve seen a college wide receiver with the route running ability he has.

Oregon with a big victory. 

Nebraska destroys Buffalo, they’ll be a top ten team soon, Go Big Red.  

UNR beats up Idaho st.  Top 20 coming soon for UNR.  Go Pack

And mighty Toledo gave ND all they could handle , and almost pulled of a gigantic upset. 

Thanks  

A guy I'm keeping close tabs on is Chris Rodriguez. Weak competition, but another big game.

Sam Howell had a nice bounce back game also.

After this weekend and after Nebraska beats up OU , Nebraska will be in the top five.  Go Big Red.  

After this weekend and UNR beats up At Kansas St they’ll be a top 20 team. Go Wolf Pack.  

Oh boy. 

Sounds racist 

On 9/17/2021 at 9:13 AM, weepaws said:

After this weekend and after Nebraska beats up OU , Nebraska will be in the top five.  Go Big Red.  

After this weekend and UNR beats up At Kansas St they’ll be a top 20 team. Go Wolf Pack.  

Oh boy. 

Go Big Red!

Watch all the way to the replay at the end...

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like--a diving, horizontal, one-handed (backhanded) interception.

Still One

Still Two

Sombody got Mossed!

(It's so good, nobody is mad at him for not just knocking it down on 4th down.)

After a tough lost to OU there will be no top five ranking.  

Congrats to OU.  Great to see Nebraska Vs OU once again.  Go Big Red.  

UNR Wolfpack had a tough round lost, so no top twenty this week.  

Go Pack. 

^

Saturday bump. 

Anything and everything college related. Let's keep this thread going.

Nebraska is going to take down Mich st. And move right into the top 20.  

2 hours ago, Serenity Now said:

Love watching the Wisconsin qb and rejected Wisconsin qb miss every receiver that’s more than 10 yards down the field.

You must mean Graham Mertz. He's the dude last season that @Axe Elf predicted would be a star. Just the latest reminder of how little about football the gnome actually knows...

Wisconsin QB might suck but their tailback sucks even more!   Dude can't break a tackle to save his life!!   

3 hours ago, Serenity Now said:

Love watching the Wisconsin qb and rejected Wisconsin qb miss every receiver that’s more than 10 yards down the field.

31 minutes ago, jrokh said:

You must mean Graham Mertz. He's the dude last season that @Axe Elf predicted would be a star. Just the latest reminder of how little about football the gnome actually knows...

On 10/23/2020 at 10:23 PM, AxeElf said:

Graham Mertz, redshirt freshman QB for Wisconsin, was last seen throwing 5 TDs to win the MVP of the All-American Bowl after his senior season in 2018.  I know this because he's from Blue Valley North High School in Overland Park here in the Kansas City metro.

As a true freshman in 2019, Mertz threw ten passes for the Badgers before redshirting.  The first one fell incomplete.  The remaining 9 were completed.

Tonight, Mertz started with 17 straight completions, tying a single-game Wisconsin record, and completing a stretch of 26 straight completions going back to last season.  He threw 4 TDs in the first half, and tied another single-game school record with a 5th TD pass late in the game.  This was only the second time in Lovie Smith's career (college and pro) that his defense had surrendered 5 pass TDs to an opposing QB.

Mertz finished the game 20/21 for 248 yards, setting yet a third single-game school record with a 95.2% completion rate.  He had no INTs.

So basically one game, three school records tied or broken!

Russell Wilson isn't going to be the best QB from Wisconsin any more...

Coincidentally, I was just coming here to cancel my Future Stud Alert from last year.

Mertz just hasn't been the same ever since he got COVID last year.  I don't know if it was being sick, per se, or just the chaos, time spent not practicing, or whatever, but it's a clear line of division.  Before he got sick, he was setting records every time he took the field.  Since he's been sick, he's barely been a starting-caliber QB in FBS football, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's not the starting QB next week.

Today, he had one good series, to start the 2nd half, in which he was 4 for 6 for 69 yards and a TD.  Outside of that, he was 14 for 44 (31.8%) for 181 yards (and probly 80 of that was RAC yardage), zero TDs, FOUR (4) INTs (including 2 pick-sixes), and a lost fumble.

So whatever it is, Mertz is not the same QB who threw 5 TDs as the MVP of the All-American Bowl, or the same QB who started his college career 29 of 31 with 5 TDs and 0 INTs.  Whether it was COVID or not, a once promising career appears to have been derailed.

(It's probly Axe Elf's fault.)

Wisconsin is Nebraska in the late 70es and into the late 80es.  

Just not has good. 

1 hour ago, Serenity Now said:

Wisconsin is the same team every year. They just change the names on the jersey. Athletic teams will always have the advantage over them.

I'm sure Michigan will help them get back on their feet next week.

You know what would be cool is if you could record every televised college football game every week, and then you could just pick and choose from the most exciting games, or if a game you din't think would be exciting turns out to be good, you can still go catch the end of it, or just watch the 4th Q of every game, or whatever you want to watch--even watch in 2x speed (with sound) if you want to save time...

Oh wait, I have YouTube TV, so I get that.

(And yes, it's cool.)

Works for the pros, too, but not every game is available live, until NFL Network reruns them.  I just watch RedZone Channel on Sundays anyway.

I keep waiting for Spencer Rattler to impress me. Still waiting...

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I didn't know you could watch YouTubeTV at 2x speed.

I'm not sure if you can on a smart tv, but I watch using my Chrome browser, on a 65" monitor, and you can adjust the speed from 0.25 to 2.0 (in 0.25 intervals) under the settings (gear) icon in the lower right.

As a Hawkeye fan, man Wisconsin is an elite program at every level... except at the QB position. Mertz is who we thought he was... (well except for AxeElf). 

15 minutes ago, rallo said:

As a Hawkeye fan, man Wisconsin is an elite program at every level... except at the QB position. Mertz is who we thought he was... (well except for AxeElf). 

Every year, they’re very disciplined, solid o-line, usually a solid rb, WRs are good not usually great, trash qb, defense is solid but usually lacks athletes and speed.  They must be happy with being good not great, cause they change nothing.