Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

Job offer

Recruiter contacted me about 8 weeks ago for a position similar to my current one, but with a couple of differences that make it extremely appealing.  
The offer came yesterday and the money is outlandish.  Really significant increase over current salary.

The catch?  Only 20 days PTO.  I’m currently at 40.  They refuse to negotiate on PTO for various reasons.

Despite the huge appeal of the job and the stupid amount of money, I’m not sure I can take it.  The time off is so important.

40 days, must be a Euro company.  4 weeks is pretty darn good to start at most US companies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

40 days, must be a Euro company.  4 weeks is pretty darn good to start at most US companies.

It’s multinational but US based.  Maybe I’m just out of touch with what’s normal.  Been at my current employer 15 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Wondering how many years he has been with current employer…. Increased accrual

42 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Recruiter contacted me about 8 weeks ago for a position similar to my current one, but with a couple of differences that make it extremely appealing.  
The offer came yesterday and the money is outlandish.  Really significant increase over current salary.

The catch?  Only 20 days PTO.  I’m currently at 40.  They refuse to negotiate on PTO for various reasons.

Despite the huge appeal of the job and the stupid amount of money, I’m not sure I can take it.  The time off is so important.

I have been where I am for 15 years and I get 25 days.

If you add 4 weeks of salary to our current salary is the offer still outlandish?

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

I have been where I am for 15 years and I get 25 days.

If you add 4 weeks of salary to our current salary is the offer still outlandish?

Yes— the salary offer is unimaginable.  Cuz I rock.

7 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I’d take the money. 20 days of PTO is more than enough.

I dunno man. At some point, more money doesn't really change a person's life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I suppose if he’s already making $500k. I struggle to use 15 days of vacation in a year. Work has to get done...

If they won’t match the PTO, how about you ask for some time off before you start at the new place, unpaid.  Also ask for a signing bonus of the equivalent of 20 days working. ;) 

Seriously you could do either of these things.  Maybe avoid the part about being a d1ck about it.  :D 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I suppose if he’s already making $500k. I struggle to use 15 days of vacation in a year. Work has to get done...

I'm at the stage where I'd take a pay cut for more time off.

• Like 2

first, why were you willing to interview?  Do those things still seem true?  How will you feel about them in two year?

second, explore if you can close the gap without increasing the PTO which they probably resist by policy:
1) check the PTO policies to make sure you are comparing apples to apples … is sick separate? How do holidays compare?

2) if they won’t increase PTO, will they allow leave without pay?  (The salary makes up perhaps)

finally, see if they’ll meet in the middle … 25/30 days off. If they are resisting any compromise, you might get resistance even using the 20 …. And that would suck.

congrats on the offer and good luck with your choice!

10 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I could see this if you take multiple week-long vacations every year. I’m sure it’s industry/position driven on whether you can actually take 20+ days off in a year.

From a business management perspective, I’d say if everyone can take off close to 1 day per week, I’d be looking to reduce headcount and redelegate the workload.

I certainly understand wanting to take more time the closer you get to retirement. I’d consider just going part-time at that point. 

32 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Yes— the salary offer is unimaginable.  Cuz I rock.

I am sure you are but I would be suspicious of a company offering so much over market.  Good luck with your decision.   

Do you have to use it or lose it? Where I am we can keep up to 240 hours at the end of the fiscal year, anything over that get's taken away. Many people in my company scramble to use their hours in August because they accumulate so much. Once I had nearly 350 hours built up and needed to take a couple weeks so as to not lose it.  

1 minute ago, Bert said:

I am sure you are but I would be suspicious of a company offering so much over market.  Good luck with your decision.   

I would be too depending on the location/position. Locally, there are many companies desperate enough to pay well over market to attract people. It’s nuts.

27 minutes ago, Bert said:

I’m not revealing too much identifying info on FFT, but it’s an extremely high profile brand.

I stated a salary demand to the recruiter that I thought would be a conversation ender.  10 days later she called asking to schedule an interview.  In the end, they came in $3k below my demand.  Also a hiring bonus.  

What is entirely possible is that I’ve been miserably underpaid for the past 15 years.

To jew or not to jew- that is the question. If I had to work for someone other than myself, 4 weeks of paid vacation is plenty. 

Per year:

Annual Leave  = 208 hours (26 days)

Sick Leave = 104 hours (13 days)

+11 days (88 hours)  paid  holidays... Thanks Juneteenth! 😁👍

So 50.... Gotta love me some Uncle Sugar.

To answer the question.. 2x the PTO is huge.   I'd keep that...  Money is great.... Unless you're too busy to spend it and your home life suffers because you're working too much to really connect with your fam.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Ever since Jared left, Subway has really been hurting for people.

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I negotiated with my boss/company a couple years ago that I wanted more time off and was willing to take it unpaid.  While we have no set limit, I can take a couple extra weeks off unpaid without issue.  Didn't do it last year because of Covid but next week I'm off unpaid. 

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Even if that extra money allows you to invest more and retire earlier? A few years off your retirement age will easily Make up for 20 days a year. 

3 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Even if that extra money allows you to invest more and retire earlier? A few years off your retirement age will easily Make up for 20 days a year. 

I would caution anyone on sacrificing the now on the assumption that there were be a later.  We don't know when our time will come.  We also don't know what we'll be able to do physically in the later stages of our life.  Take advantage of your good health while you can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strike said:

I would caution anyone on sacrificing the now on the assumption that there were be a later.  We don't know when our time will come.  We also don't know what we'll be able to do physically in the later stages of our life.  Take advantage of your good health while you can.

Yeah I get all that but we also live in a world where we are constantly worrying over how much money we will have in retirement and when we can afford to retire and enjoy our golden years because life expectancy in general continues to rise. 

so yeah I’m not suggesting he take an extra 10k per year and lose half his PTO but if the offer really is incredibly higher than his current salary, it might afford him many things for him and his family that makes sacrificing some PTO right now worth it. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Yeah I get all that but we also live in a world where we are constantly worrying over how much money we will have in retirement and when we can afford to retire and enjoy our golden years because life expectancy in general continues to rise. 

so yeah I’m not suggesting he take an extra 10k per year and lose half his PTO but if the offer really is incredibly higher than his current salary, it might afford him many things for him and his family that makes sacrificing some PTO right now worth it. 

Without knowing the specific numbers we can only speculate.  The fact that the time off is part of his thought process in whether to take the job suggests to me that he is making pretty decent money to begin with though.

If you like your job, take the money. If not, take the pto. Personally, I'd take the extra 20 3 day or 10 4 day weekends in a hot second. 

I get 5 weeks and would easily take a 5% pay cut for another week of vacation. 

I use every day of vacation every year and am still left lacking.

I would take a massive pay raise for 20 days PTO in a second. I currently get 0, so different perspective here. PTO is pretty important. Wish we had some to tap into

I’d take the job with outlandish money. But I never take my full 4 weeks of vaca and end up cashing out at least a week of PTO every year, so 40 days would be totally wasted on me.

I’m a little surprised that a company willing to pay “outlandish” money has zero wiggle room on PTO. Not doubting your story but that’s just weird. :wacko: 

Outlandish money to this clown is probably $40k. 

So, they wouldn’t pay you the $3k more that you wanted?  I pay entry level accounts $3k more if it’s a deal breaker and we really want them. 

28 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

So, they wouldn’t pay you the $3k more that you wanted?  I pay entry level accounts $3k more if it’s a deal breaker and we really want them. 

Yeah, I’m talking about a $40k job. Yutz.  $40k jobs don’t start at 20 days PTO.  Stop trying so hard to be a dck.  Making yourself look stupid.

33 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Stop trying so hard. Its transparent.

4 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Yeah, I’m talking about a $40k job. Yutz.  $40k jobs don’t start at 20 days PTO.  Stop trying so hard to be a dck.  Making yourself look stupid.

What’s the salary?

4 hours ago, Gladiators said:

From a business management perspective, I’d say if everyone can take off close to 1 day per week, I’d be looking to reduce headcount and redelegate the workload

I hate this mentality, man. I wish America was less of a grind. We are taught to waste our lives busting our ass for some corporation that doesnt give a sh!t about us. Managers make moves like this to get ahead and I get it, but its just depressing. I wish unions were more powerful and less crazy.

Update:  I took the job.

The PTO is still disappointing, but I’ll be seeing improvements in so many other aspects of employment.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have negotiated a bank of PTO when joining a new company.  That is pretty typical.  Good luck on your new adventure!