Sign in to follow this  
DEEZNUTS

NY Jets Backfield - Coleman / Carter / Johnson

Looks like Tevin Coleman is locked in as starting NY Jets RB1. I just claimed him off free agency. Dumpster fire backfield or worth a shot?

Need some opinions....

I would be surprised if Coleman stays at #1 for long. It sounds like he just got the job because he is most familiar with the offense Saleh wants to import from SF. I can't get excited about any Jet at any position for this season, but someone will likely emerge from the pile to be useful. Coleman has the first shot. Worth a stash, I guess.

@Ray_T and CBSSports seem to think that Carter is the #1:

In reality, though, it doesn't really matter who is listed first on the clipboard; the Jets are going to use all four of their backs in what will likely be a pretty even committee, to the consternation of anyone who owns any of them.

I don’t see any of the Jets players worthy of a roster spot.  

40 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I don’t see any of the Jets players worthy of a roster spot.  

Agree - though I did take a flier on Elijah Moore as my last draft pick. Coleman will probably wind up being that dead spot on my roster that I can use to add/drop speculative plays. 

I wouldn't write off this offense as a dumpster fire yet.

Looks like they're starting the shiny new toy at QB. New coach, New WR. 

Are we sure the Jets are gonna suck?

Yes

1 hour ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Sure? No. But if your only 2 choices were great or suck, what would you choose?

Just now, jrokh said:

Sure? No. But if your only 2 choices were great or suck, what would you choose?

lol why would those be the only options?

It's not saying much but I do expect them to be better than last season. 

They're not going to lose that Raiders game again. 

14 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I wouldn't write off this offense as a dumpster fire yet.

Looks like they're starting the shiny new toy at QB. New coach, New WR. 

:thumbsup:

I am a buyer of Jets players. They fired Gase and sent Arnold to Carolina. Those were the two main problems last year. 

It should be Carolina players we avoid, not Jets players.

Of the Jets Rbs I would take Johnson over the bunch. 

Carter is a myth, he’s the new Christine Michael. Coleman will start and split carries with the other guy, Carter might get a few carries in garbage time or a series. 

14 minutes ago, shaabyi said:

Would you drop Carter for Tony Jones or L Bell?

Not at this point.  You realize Bell is a practice squad player, right?

2 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Carter is a myth, he’s the new Christine Michael. Coleman will start and split carries with the other guy, Carter might get a few carries in garbage time or a series. 

That's pretty unfair to someone who hasn't played in a single regular season game yet. I think MC can be a league winner if he asserts his way to the top of the depth chart or if injuries occur. He's by far the most talented RB on the roster, the only thing working against him is his size and lack of experience. He's bigger than CEH and he's roughly same size as guys like Ekeler, Kamara, and CMC. 

For someone that split his carries basically 50/50 he still put up 2 seasons that were better than anything Christine Michael ever produced. He ran a 4.50 in his pro day 40 which most will say is slow but Tanatastic will say that's fast for Melvin Gordon lol.

I've followed both Javonte and MC closely in college after watching them rumble for over 500 yards vs UM. I've always thought of both of them as legit RB prospects well before the NFL draft. I think they're both extremely talented. I had Javonte as my number 1 overall RB prospect even over Najee. 

Fun Javonte Williams facts for you:

-Scored in 10 of 11 games in 2020.
-4.59 yards after contact per attempt ranked 11th in the nation, ahead of Travis Etienne (3.84) and Najee Harris (3.26).
-Broke Pro Football Focus' record for broken tackles per attempt (0.48) and earned the highest single-season rushing grade in PFF's history (95.9).
-75 broken tackles led the nation.

I know this is the Jets thread but obviously I'm very high on both of the UNC RBs. 

4 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I think MC can be a league winner

That's what they said about CM.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

That's what they said about CM.

LOL touche'

This may sound sexist but I tend to avoid drafting females over males. I never fell for the CM hype train. 

That lousy joke was the only thing he was ever good for.

Carter isn't going to be much of a factor imo. Nothing special at rb and struggling early on it appears. If Coleman goes down Ty may be a great flex play. I have johnson and Coleman stashed where I can

10 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Carter isn't going to be much of a factor imo. Nothing special at rb and struggling early on it appears. If Coleman goes down Ty may be a great flex play. I have johnson and Coleman stashed where I can

So why did they draft him?

Have you glossed over Ty Johnson's resume'?

Never had a season (College or pro) with over 137 carries. Carter had 177 in 2019 and 156 in 2020.

Johnson was drafted in 6th round by Lions and subsequently waived. Scooped by the Jets and got decent playing time while sharing with old Frank Gore and terrible rookie La'Michal Perine. 

I'd be shocked if Ty Johnson got more work than Carter at any point this season without an injury to Carter.

This is a situation similar to Cam Akers last year. Akers struggled early and was behind Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson on depth chart. Whether its learning the playbook or blitz pickups, eventually the talent will rise to the top. 

I think T.Y. Johnson will be the better one to own, if one needs to own a Jets player. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2021 at 12:15 PM, AxeElf said:

@Ray_T and CBSSports seem to think that Carter is the #1:

In reality, though, it doesn't really matter who is listed first on the clipboard; the Jets are going to use all four of their backs in what will likely be a pretty even committee, to the consternation of anyone who owns any of them.

true. 

sometimes the depth chart in pre season is manipulated to motivate certain players too.

Either way the news was like an hour off the wire at the time and was relevant to the discussion on the board at the time so I put up the link.

9 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Either way the news was like an hour off the wire at the time and was relevant to the discussion on the board at the time so I put up the link.

I don't think it really matters who the Jets list as the "starter" at this point.  At least four RBs are going to see some action, making all of them largely fantasy irrelevant.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, AxeElf said:

I don't think it really matters who the Jets list as the "starter" at this point.  At least four RBs are going to see some action, making all of them largely fantasy irrelevant.

as predicted by you (and many others)  Jets backfield.... nothing to see here.

Michael Carter will be this years Cam Akers. Buy low if you still can and scoop immediately if he’s on the WW.

The kid is electric. Only a matter of time.

17 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Michael Carter will be this years Cam Akers. Buy low if you still can and scoop immediately if he’s on the WW.

I didn’t watch the game. Did he look good?  May not matter too much seeing as how he’s on the Jets, but curious?

11 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I didn’t watch the game. Did he look good?  May not matter too much seeing as how he’s on the Jets, but curious?

• Like 1

He had more ff points then M Davis. 

On 9/19/2021 at 9:25 PM, LoOnAtIk said:

Oh yeah.

4 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Oh yeah.

I mean if you want the victory lap, you should probably acknowledge your prediction that Darrell Henderson isn't talented and would surely be usurped by Sony Michel...

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I mean if you want the victory lap, you should probably acknowledge your prediction that Darrell Henderson isn't talented and would surely be usurped by Sony Michel...

I can run for 100 yards behind the Rams run blocking scheme. He had a great game today vs a cupcake matchup but he was averaging 4.3 ypc on the season which is literally average.

No need to hijack the thread.

21 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I can run for 100 yards behind the Rams run blocking scheme. He had a great game today vs a cupcake matchup but he was averaging 4.3 ypc on the season which is literally average.

No need to hijack the thread.

He's having a great season, your predictions are 1-1. Not hijacking anything, again if you want the victory lap come clean. Good call on Carter, bad call on Henderson. Next...

9 minutes ago, jrokh said:

He's having a great season, your predictions are 1-1. Not hijacking anything, again if you want the victory lap come clean. Good call on Carter, bad call on Henderson. Next...

Right but this is the Michael Carter/ NYJ RB thread. I could make a long list of other predictions that I had wrong but why would I acknowledge that here?

38 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Back to your original comment I do not have to acknowledge random L over there to take 1 victory lap over here. You’re just pooping in my Cheerios for no reason.

1 minute ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Right but this is the Michael Carter/ NYJ RB thread. I could make a long list of other predictions that I had wrong but why would I acknowledge that here?

Back to your original comment I do not have to acknowledge random L over there to take 1 victory lap over here. You’re just pooping in my Cheerios for no reason.

Ok, then I am acknowledging it, since you would obviously never do so. Congrats on your 50% prediction success rate...

7 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Ok, then I am acknowledging it, since you would obviously never do so. Congrats on your 50% prediction success rate...

Thanks az$h0I3.

Again 2 totally different things. Henderson was never a WW add or buy low suggestion.

I’m not gonna comb thru all of your wrong predictions because unlike yourself, I have a life.