BeenHereBefore

Any Here Believes Life Goes On After We Pass ?

Or doesn't this is matter and be just like Ayn Rand ? Just be a Richard and please yourself and screw all. Dust in the wind and end of story to us all.

Nope.  Not at all.  In fact, I think when you die its POOF.  And you're dead.   Because you are in fact dead, there isn't a second of remorse, fear, longing, anything at all.  You are just dead.  It is complete and total.  

I believe in this so much that I am willing to say you don't even know you are dead when it happens.   It's just over.  

8 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Nope.  Not at all.  In fact, I think when you die its POOF.  And you're dead.   Because you are in fact dead, there isn't a second of remorse, fear, longing, anything at all.  You are just dead.  It is complete and total.  

I believe in this so much that I am willing to say you don't even know you are dead when it happens.   It's just over.  

....and if it's a simulation that you are in, we all go poof as well. Stay safe out there. ,😉 we need ya.

No you focking dumb heeb. 

3 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Agree

Long post, but this is what I said in response to this kind of question about a year ago:

I grew up a Catholic.   Both parents were old-school masshole Catholics.   Went to church every Sunday, confession, all that stuff. 

Drifted away from it as I got older.   As I got even older and started to think about the issues and ideas, I became an atheist and I do not believe in god.  

My views of organized religion became more cynical over time and are pretty negative now.   I believe that they are both a form of control and a reaction to the desperate desire of almost all of humankind to answer the question "is there anything after we die?"    Telling people that there is something more/better after we die not only answers that desperate question but it also makes for a more malleable and manageable population for the ruling elite.    Done and done.    Everybody is scared that this all we have.    No one knows what happens after.   How will your population react if they realize that the medieval sh!t sandwich of a life that they have is all they will ever have?   They will rise up and throw your a$$es out and take all of your stuff.   Can't have that.   If you can answer the question that they are all crying for and make them easier to rule at the same time = win.  What I have written above could explain almost all organized religions in all of human history. 

On the existential question, that one was harder to figure out but here's where I am at.    There has to be divinity because it is just too impossible that we could be here and doing what we are doing, right?    But when you consider the enormity of the universe and the breadth of time, you are talking about a trillion billion things coming into contact with a trillion billion opportunities and then you actually have the chance of the longest of long shots coming through.    Some lightning, some OK environmental conditions, and trillion other coincidences come together and that creates life.   Over millions of years life slowly builds and there are natural built in rewards for the life that is resourceful and relentlessly reproduces.   Given enough time that then evolves to humans and humans succeed above all because of their ability to think at a higher level.   That is then naturally reinforced and rewarded again and humankind then rapidly evolves to dominate the world and it's thinking ability evolves rapidly too.   And now we are here where we are because of that.    And that thinking would mean that there is probably life in the universe beyond us but not a lot of it as it takes the coincidences of a trillion billion possibilities coming together to make it happen.  

So there is no god, no grand purpose, nothing to live for, right?   Not really.    If you think like me that we are just the result of a colossal cosmic crap shoot and there is nothing but darkness after we go - then the only option is to be as hedonistic as possible for the time you have,  right?    I guess you could go that route.   But my attitude is that if this is all I have then I am not going to waste it being some kind of self-centered doosh bag.    What I am going to try to do is enjoy life as much as I can but if this is all I have - there has to be some meaning.    So raising your family right, contributing to your community, being a good friend,  and doing something with your career where you have some meaning and impact (positively) on others is all you have to leave for your footprint.    So in it's own weird way, atheism if properly applied and understood actually ends up with you believing in living a life that would be in line with the best and most useful teachings of organized religion, without all of the other crap.

It's interesting that "who you're related to" is relative. In the short scope, you're related to your grandparents, parents and siblings.  Then to your cousins and 2nd cousins. Go back in time far enough and you're related to every human on the planet. Go back further and you're related to every animal, and further still you're related to every plant and life-form on the planet.  Go all the way back to the big bang and you're related to every rock and particle in the universe.

Religion focuses too much on the individual. Everything is related. It's one giant entity. Kumbaya muthaf*ker!

It's very easy to say no, but if even one of the millions of ghost stories out there is true, then mmm boy.  And some of them are pretty convincing.  :ninja:

8 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I do and know matter what you believe in, do you feel this is not the end ?

*no

Yes. 

I believe there is something after death. 

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Nope not at all. There is no spirit. The white lite people see is just to allow the body to pass calmly and that’s it. That light goes out and it’s over

The white light is the doctor shining his pen light in your eye to see if it dilates.

4 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

What about strudel? I mean, how can it be a national dish of Austria? Too sweet.

iche liebe strudel.

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

my dad saw the light when he was dying, there was no doctor around

Oncoming train?

9 hours ago, supermike80 said:

in the simulation hypothesis it is given that our primitive civilization is already bordering on creating a matrix or holodeck scenario for us to live in. Something like that should be available in the next 1,000 years which is really quick. Given that, it is almost impossible that this is not a simulation because we would have to be living in that tiny tiny window where the first simulation has not been created yet. And if we are in a simulation then death is not the end here that we go on to something else.

We created heaven and an afterlife because as humans we just can't accept that this is it.  It's scary.  So much invested into this to just to have it go away so totally.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

We created heaven and an afterlife because as humans we just can't accept that this is it.  It's scary.  So much invested into this to just to have it go away so totally.  

Sh!t, I think you just said in 3 sentences what it took me 3 paragraphs to say. . . 

1 hour ago, Masshole said:

Sh!t, I think you just said in 3 sentences what it took me 3 paragraphs to say. . . 

The odds of him being correct seem to be about zero so.  

The meaning of life is there is no meaning so have as much fun as you can while you're out here floating around in space.

1 minute ago, BufordT said:

The meaning of life is there is no meaning so have as much fun as you can while you're out here floating around in space.

That's satanism.

In the 2017 film "the discovery" science proves there is an afterlife.  This results in a wave of suicides which has consequences.  Haven't seen it but sounds like some might be interested here. 

37 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

In the 2017 film "the discovery" science proves there is an afterlife.  This results in a wave of suicides which has consequences.  Haven't seen it but sounds like some might be interested here. 

no science and proof of afterlife cannot exist, because there is no proof of afterlife existing

but you're going to use a fiction film to prove it?

nevermind I think I misunderstood you

2 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

my dad saw the light when he was dying, there was no doctor around

That's interesting.  Do you think he saw it or do you think he thinks he saw it?  Just curious.

No chance the universe and humanity are not part of a design. This universe is too perfect in too many ways. 

Afterlife may or may not be real, but I'm guessing it is real.

There is evidence for design…
The unraveling of the Human Genome Code was announced to the world as the discovery of the language of the Creator by then President, Bill Clinton. What scientists discovered was an extremely sophisticated genetic language necessary for even the simplest life forms to exist. To believe that this level of apparent design happened either randomly or by chance is a mathematical equation of probability with more zeros than I care to type (plus I don’t know what the word is for numbers which are thousands of trillions!).

Read Peer Reviewed Scientific Articles supporting the case for design in the universe

The universe displays an amazingly complex level of interdependency which logically leads to the conclusion that it was designed that way. There are just too many coincidences of such “just rightness” for it too be a random haphazard coincidence. The earth is “just the right” distance from the Sun; it contains “just the right” mixture of chemicals and gases to sustain life; humans have “just the right” ability to breath these gases; the human body has “just the right” synergy of internal organs in order to function, and so on.

Its important to note that the Bible does not give a date for the commencement of creation of the universe, or the date for the creation of mankind. The universe may well be 13,700,000,000 years old, and mankind’s origins may well be as recent as 150,000 – 200,000 years ago. These numbers are in no way counter to the Biblical record, and extremely compatible with the evidence. (See, “Who Was Adam?” by Dr. Fazale Rana, and Dr Hugh Ross, RTB Press, 2015, p. 66-67.)

“Perhaps the most popular and intuitively plausible argument for God’s existence is the so-called argument from design. According to this argument, the design that is apparent in nature suggests the existence of a cosmic Designer…Although I was once sharply critical of the argument to design, I have since come to see that, when correctly formulated, this argument constitutes a persuasive case for the existence of God.”
“There IS a God”, Antony Flew, Harper One, 2007:95

Antony Flew artfully describes the design of the universe, and in particular its obvious design for humans, by asking his readers to imagine arriving at a motel room without a booking. As they come into their assigned room their favourite CD is playing their favourite track. As they bring their bags into the room they smell a very familiar fragrance. In fact, it is so familiar because it is their favourite scent. As they place their bags down they notice a basket of their favourite food waiting for them on the bed. On the wall hangs a copy of their favourite artwork. In the mini-bar there is a complimentary block of their favourite chocolate next to their favourite soft drink. It appears that someone knew they were coming and also knew they would be staying in this room!

In Flew’s scenario, there are just a handful of parameters (the music, the scent, the food, the drink, the artwork) that indicate that someone designed the room for a particular guest. According to Dr Hugh Ross of Reasons To Believe (www.reasons.org) there are over 400 parameters that are simultaneously needed in order for human life to be possible on earth. If one takes Flew’s analogy and considers not just the parameters that make life possible, but those which make life enjoyable and give pleasure to life, we soon discover that this list of design parameters climbs to over 600!

For Flew the reasons for so many “Anthropic” design parameters became undeniably obvious: there must be a Designer. He argues that if all it takes is five or so parameters in a motel room for us to conclude that someone designed our arrival, then what do you do with an entire planet that displays around 600 such parameters?

Dr Hugh Ross has been one of the pioneers in developing a comprehensive list of all the parameters necessary for human life. 

Human existence is possible because the constants of physics and the parameters for the universe and for planet Earth lie within certain highly restricted ranges. John Wheeler and others interpret these amazing “coincidences” as proof that human existence somehow determines the design of the universe. Drawing an illogical parallel with delayed-choice experiments in quantum mechanics, they say that observations by humans influence the design of the universe, not only now, but back to the beginning. Such versions of what is called the “anthropic principle” reflect current philosophical and religious leanings towards the deification of man. They produce no evidence to support the notion that man’s present acts can influence past events. Furthermore, their analogies with quantum mechanics break down on this point. The “coincidental” values of the constants of physics and the parameters of the universe point, rather, to a designer who transcends the dimensions and limits of the physical universe.
Dr. Hugh Ross, http://www.origins.org/articles/ross_designanthropic.html, as of March 2009

In one of his earliest articles on the parameters necessary for human life (http://www.origins.org/articles/ross_designanthropic.html, as of March 2009) Dr Ross discusses some of his early findings-

Cosmic Connection

Now that the limits and parameters of the universe can be calculated, and some even directly measured, astronomers and physicists have begun to recognize a connection between these limits and parameters and the existence of life. It is impossible to imagine a universe containing life in which any one of the fundamental constants of physics or any one of the fundamental parameters of the universe is different, even slightly so, in one way or another.

From this recognition arises the anthropic principle—everything about the universe tends toward man, toward making life possible and sustaining it…

Insufficient Universe

It is clear that man is too limited to have created the universe. But, it is also evident that the universe is too limited to have created man. The universe contains no more than 1080 baryons (Baryons are protons and other fundamental particles, such as neutrons, that decay into protons) and has been in existence for no more than 1018 seconds…

The bottom line is that the universe is at least ten billion orders of magnitude (a factor of 1010,000,000,000 times) too small or too young for life to have assembled itself by natural processes. (A common rebuttal is that not all amino acids in organic molecules must be strictly sequenced. One can destroy or randomly replace about 1 amino acid out of 100 without doing damage to the function of the molecule. This is vital since life necessarily exists in a sequence—disrupting radiation environment. However, this is equivalent to writing a computer program that will tolerate the destruction of 1 statement of code out of 1001. In other words, this error-handling ability of organic molecules constitutes a far more unlikely occurrence than strictly sequenced molecules).

The evidence for the universe being designed is overwhelming. This observation is not original. It was stated much earlier by one of the world’s leading cosmologists and physicists, Paul Davies, who said-

“the impression of design is overwhelming”

Paul Davies, “The Cosmic Blueprint: New Discoveries in Nature’s Creative Ability To Order the Universe”, Simon and Schuster, New York, 1988:203

Dr. Hugh Ross goes on in his article to list 19 specific parameters necessary for a planet to sustain complex life-

1. Number of star companions

• if more than one: tidal interactions would disrupt planetary orbits
  • if less than one: not enough heat produced for life

2. Parent star birth date

• if more recent: star would not yet have reached stable burning phase
  • if less recent: stellar system would not yet contain enough heavy elements

3. Parent star age

• if older: luminosity of star would not he sufficiently stable
  • if younger: luminosity of star would not be sufficiently stable

4. Parent star distance from center of galaxy

• if greater: not enough heavy elements to make rocky planets
  • if less: stellar density and radiation would he too great

5. Parent star mass

• if greater: luminosity output from the star would not be sufficiently stable
  • if less: range of distances appropriate for life would be too narrow; tidal forces would disrupt the rotational period for a planet of the right distance

6. Parent star color

• if redder: insufficient photosynthetic response
  • if bluer: insufficient photosynthetic response

7. Surface gravity

• if stronger: planet’s atmosphere would retain huge amounts of ammonia and methane
  • if weaker: planet’s atmosphere would lose too much water

8. Distance from parent star

• if farther away: too cool for a stable water cycle
  • if closer: too warm for a stable water cycle

9. Thickness of crust

• if thicker: too much oxygen would he transferred from the atmosphere to the crust
  • if thinner: volcanic and tectonic activity would be too great

10. Rotation period

• if longer: diurnal temperature differences would he too great
  • if shorter: atmospheric wind velocities would he too great

11. Gravitational interaction with a moon

• if greater: tidal effects on the oceans, atmosphere, and rotational period would he too severe
  • if less: earth’s orbital obliquity would change too much causing climatic instabilities

12. Magnetic field

• if stronger: electromagnetic storms would be too severe
  • if weaker: no protection from solar wind particles

13. Axial tilt

• if greater: surface temperature differences would be too great
  • if less: surface temperature differences would he too great

14. Albedo (ratio of reflected light to total amount falling on surface)

• if greater: runaway ice age would develop
  • if less: runaway greenhouse effect would develop

15. Oxygen to nitrogen ratio in atmosphere

• if larger: life functions would proceed too quickly
  • if smaller: life functions would proceed too slowly

16. Carbon dioxide and water vapor levels in atmosphere

• if greater: runaway greenhouse effect would develop
  • if less: insufficient greenhouse effect

17. Ozone level in atmosphere

• if greater: surface temperatures would become too low
  • if less: surface temperatures would he too high; too much uv radiation at surface

18. Atmospheric electric discharge rate

• if greater: too much fire destruction
  • if less: too little nitrogen fixing in the soil

19. Seismic activity

• if greater: destruction of too many life-forms
  • if less: nutrients on ocean floors would not be uplifted

Dr Ross continues on to say that there are even more necessary parameters for a planet to sustain life-

About a dozen other parameters, such as atmospheric chemical composition, currently are being researched for their sensitivity in the support of life. However, the nineteen (parameters) listed (in Table 1, above) in themselves lead safely to the conclusion that much fewer than a trillionth of a trillionth of a percent of all stars will have a planet capable of sustaining life. Considering that the universe contains only about a trillion galaxies, each averaging a hundred billion stars, we can see that not even one planet would be expected, by natural processes alone, to possess the necessary conditions to sustain life. No wonder Robert Rood and James Trefil (Rood, Robert T. and Treffi, James S. Are We Alone? The Possibility of Extraterrestrial Civilizations. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1983) and others have surmised that intelligent physical life exists only on the earth. It seems abundantly clear that the earth, too, in addition to the universe, has experienced divine design.
Dr. Hugh Ross, “Design & The Anthropic Principle”, http://www.origins.org/articles/ross_designanthropic.html

Professor Antony Flew marvels at the complexity of life’s design as he writes-

…there is a rich narrative drama surrounding our current understanding of the cell…The genetic message in DNA is duplicated in replication and then copied from DNA to RNA in transcription. Following this there is translation whereby the message from RNA is conveyed to the amino acids, and finally the amino acids are assembled into proteins. The cell’s two fundamentally different structures of information management and chemical activity are coordinated by the universal genetic code.
“There IS a God”, Antony Flew, Harper One, 2007:126-127

Professor Paul Davies calls the undeniable design of universe and in particular earth’s unique place in the universe as The Goldilocks Enigma. There are simply too many ‘just rights’ in the universe to dismiss the universe’s obvious design. 

While the late Professor Carl Sagan dismissed planet earth as an insignificant, pale blue dot, his successor, Professor Brian Greene (Professor of Mathematics & Physics at Columbia University), is far less prepared to deny the obvious. He says that the fact of the universe’s designed cannot be denied so the real issue is not whether it is designed but who is the Designer? Professor Greene appeases atheists by avoiding the theologically loaded term: “God”, instead opting for the term Grand Organising Designer, which coincidentally equates to G.O.D.

He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female,
Matthew 19:4

13 hours ago, supermike80 said:

This

10 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Remember what life was like before you born? That's exactly what death feels like.

And this.

3 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Exactly 

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The white light is the doctor shining his pen light in your eye to see if it dilates.

Actually, I heard it has something to do with the ocular nerve or something. It’s basically some final synapses firing as your eyesight shuts down.

I love when people answer one way or the other with certainty, you don't have a clue, stop acting like you do.

I'll quote Mr. Einstein, “Energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be changed from one form to another.”

There are scenarios we couldn't possibly comprehend. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid I had dreams I was a wolf. In those dreams I was hunted down and shot. Many years later I was shot in my right hip by some gangster joy riding at the lakefront wanting to kill whitey on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. 

Went to the hospital and they did an X-ray of my entire body. The doctor asked me if I’ve been shot before.   Me: No. Why?   Doc: You have a bullet in your left shoulder with no visible scarring or tissue damage. Made zero sense to me as I know it’s not possible for that to happen. Come out of moms place and have a bullet wound that is found twenty years later? 

OMDamb gawd. I’m beginning to sound like GFIAFP. Someone please come and shoot me.

12 hours ago, OldMaid said:

Actually, I heard it has something to do with the ocular nerve or something. It’s basically some final synapses firing as your eyesight shuts down.

I could believe that.  I just hear all the time that hearing is the last thing to go.  In stories where people say they saw a light, that's usually the last thing they remember and not what they heard.  So, if they saw the light last, then technically hearing isn't the last thing to go.  If hearing is the last thing to go, maybe they're imagining they saw the light because they've heard people claim to have seen the light, so they think they saw it too.

We were alive before we were born. A sperm and egg were both alive before they became a human. Maybe we just don’t understand the possibilities of what can happen after we die.