Sign in to follow this  
Lake209

Nyheim Hines: New Contract vs. W2W FF-value

News today is that Hines was singed to a new 18.5m contract-extension.  Think I read that this makes him the highest paid #2 across all-team depth charts in the NFL. <--Not sure if that's accurate, but has got to put him close to the '#1' of pass-catcher types who run behind lead RB1's.  Question really boils down to flex-worthiness week to week.  Does the new-contract-extension equate to more touches per game?  Do you flex HInes in W1 (vs. Seahawks)?  Moving forward, is he flex-worthy in most weeks?  I realize, this question begets who else you start and is on your bench...but *generally-speaking*:  do you think the new contract enhances Hines value?

As for whether or not the contract enhances his production, sometimes players get paid and you never hear from them again.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

As for whether or not the contract enhances his production, sometimes players get paid and you never hear from them again.

it can happen.

but sometimes a player is paid and its a sign of what the team thinks of the player.

if you are one of those people who believe in the follow the money strategy this is a contract to pay close attention to.

I mostly agree with you Axe.  it doesnt guarantee production, but it makes me pay closer attention to what is happening there.   When you see that kind of money thrown at a player I dont think its unwise to watch and pay attention.  sometimes when there is smoke there is also fire.

49 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

sometimes when there is smoke there is also fire

Well I've been screaming from the pulpit all summer about how there is no way that Jonathan Taylor could return better than RB2 value this season, and Hines was part of the reason--he's going to remain a significant part of the backfield, especially on passing downs.

Hey, it's after midnight...  "Oh Wow, Axe Elf Was Right All Along" season starts tomorrow!

33 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Well I've been screaming from the pulpit all summer about how there is no way that Jonathan Taylor could return better than RB2 value this season, and Hines was part of the reason--he's going to remain a significant part of the backfield, especially on passing downs.

Hey, it's after midnight...  "Oh Wow, Axe Elf Was Right All Along" season starts tomorrow!

Utilit99 nailed that extension. :thumbsup:

I think his new deal comes with a upgrade of playing time.  

The season started Thursday night. 

51 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Utilit99 nailed that extension. :thumbsup:

Good boy. 

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

well, we will inevitably see when they play the games.

This is an offense that can run the ball.   but I had suggested the return of Mack limited his upside the same way.   This signing if it comes with more playing time limits it even more.   Though hines performed nicely in the role he was given last year.

this may inevitably mean that the team has an RB2 and two RB3's on the roster.

in all honesty If I were one of those teams that had the injury I'd be ringing up Indy to see what they want for Mack.     Indy can afford to trade one of these guys and Mack is the most logical choice.

Ha ha...nice analysis Ray_T.  So...in W1: Mack gets 19 touches, JT & Hines both get 8.  Then, Mack becomes the 5th RB on the Ravens depth chart.  That's awesome right there.  

click>click>click>Trey Sermon now starting in Flex; Hines=bench.

Teams might be wait to see how Mack returns from his injury , plus if Mack is healthy and can play, if Taylor was to suffer an injury, it would Mack and not Hilton as their starter imo.  

On 9/11/2021 at 3:08 PM, weepaws said:

Teams might be wait to see how Mack returns from his injury , plus if Mack is healthy and can play, if Taylor was to suffer an injury, it would Mack and not Hilton as their starter imo.  

well, it looks like he didnt even get a carry.

was he still hurt?  or just warming the bench?

That’s why no one is calling about him. Unless Taylor or Hines gets hurt he’s not going to prove much imo.