AxeElf

Share What Opening Day Means to You

After smoking approximately a pack a day for 27 years, I had two cigarettes on the NFL's opening Sunday in 2009--and never had another.

I knew they were hurting me.  And honestly, that made it a lot easier than I thought it would be.  But it was already too late...

Early the next August, in the space of one Friday night in the emergency room, I went from being "healthy" all my life to diagnoses of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes, and I was scheduled for a triple bypass on Monday.  I watched the first preseason game of the year that season, the Hall of Fame game between the Cowboys and the Bengals, from my hospital bed that Sunday night, wondering if I would be around to see the rest of the season.

Obviously I was, but my heart was so damaged from lack of blood flow that they were unable to even graft to part of it, and I had to settle for a double bypass and about 45% heart capacity for the rest of my life.

And so, every season, every opening Sunday, is an anniversary and a gift to me.  If I had lived 100 years ago, I'd have been dead when I was 47.  I never would have seen the Chiefs win their 2nd Super Bowl.  (I started watching football when I was 7 because the Chiefs won their first Super Bowl when I was 6 and I was a Kansas farm boy--and then I got to suffer through the rest of the 70s and 80s, but I digress.)

11 years later, I've (almost) made it to another opening day.  And literally every opening day may be my last--or your last.  So enjoy them while you have them.

Although my diabetes has been pretty well controlled over the past decade, this August was the first year that my eye exam showed retinal bleeding in both eyes--due to the elevated blood sugars.  So even if I have more seasons in me, I may not be able to see them.

And if I suddenly disappear before the end of the season, it sure won't be because I don't want to pay some $50 bet.

Merry Christmas in September, everyone!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

And if I suddenly disappear before the end of the season, it sure won't be because I don't want to pay some $50 bet.

I'll be danged if you think your not gonna see my post about Chubb ousting Aaron Jones this season.

So, I didn't really have anything opening day to be precise. However, football got me through boredom in the hospital after having spine fusion surgery last year. Apart from the interruptions of the nurses making me get out of bed and walk the halls and the Magnesium citrate kicking in(my right of passage out of the hospital if you catch what I'm saying). Speaking of Magnesium citrate, after two 8oz bottles I can confirm it works. Fortunately I was able to go home fairly quickly to watch the games in my own home. If I had anything to say about opening day it would be me having something to do in my down time at work cooling off in the truck.

19 minutes ago, killerpopcorn said:

I'll be danged if you think your not gonna see my post about Chubb ousting Aaron Jones this season.

Huh?

1 hour ago, killerpopcorn said:

My reference to drafting Chubb over Jones being an “Error”(other forum) in your eyes. 

When Jones' ADP is higher than Chubb's, I think we can say that it is objectively an error.

But try to stay on topic, will you?

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

When Jones' ADP is higher than Chubb's, I think we can say that it is objectively an error.

But try to stay on topic, will you?

My statement was on topic but that flew over your head. 

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

After smoking approximately a pack a day for 27 years, I had two cigarettes on the NFL's opening Sunday in 2009--and never had another.

I knew they were hurting me.  And honestly, that made it a lot easier than I thought it would be.  But it was already too late...

Early the next August, in the space of one Friday night in the emergency room, I went from being "healthy" all my life to diagnoses of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes, and I was scheduled for a triple bypass on Monday.  I watched the first preseason game of the year that season, the Hall of Fame game between the Cowboys and the Bengals, from my hospital bed that Sunday night, wondering if I would be around to see the rest of the season.

Obviously I was, but my heart was so damaged from lack of blood flow that they were unable to even graft to part of it, and I had to settle for a double bypass and about 45% heart capacity for the rest of my life.

And so, every season, every opening Sunday, is an anniversary and a gift to me.  If I had lived 100 years ago, I'd have been dead when I was 47.  I never would have seen the Chiefs win their 2nd Super Bowl.  (I started watching football when I was 7 because the Chiefs won their first Super Bowl when I was 6 and I was a Kansas farm boy--and then I got to suffer through the rest of the 70s and 80s, but I digress.)

11 years later, I've (almost) made it to another opening day.  And literally every opening day may be my last--or your last.  So enjoy them while you have them.

Although my diabetes has been pretty well controlled over the past decade, this August was the first year that my eye exam showed retinal bleeding in both eyes--due to the elevated blood sugars.  So even if I have more seasons in me, I may not be able to see them.

Sounds like after watching AB kick butt Thursday night your trying to get out of paying ones dept. 

Everyone has problems, let’s not keep this site updated with yours , you want peace comfort and joy, pray to God. 

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

Sounds like after watching AB kick butt Thursday night your trying to get out of paying ones dept. 

Everyone has problems, let’s not keep this site updated with yours , you want peace comfort and joy, pray to God. 

AxeElf is god 

Opening day to me means that I'll be rooting for a bunch of multi-millionaires who wouldn't let me on their property unless they thought I was "the help" on the estate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rilett said:

AxeElf is god 

Not even close. 

5 hours ago, rilett said:

AxeElf is god 

He brings it.  I dig his Shtick. 

A very human side to AxeElf!! I dig THAT! Its nice to see a side thats free from the snark so its more relatable, at least for a few moments!! That being said, I hope you have many more opening days dude! 

My opening day tradition is to watch the 1 oclock(east coaster!) slate of games at B Dubs up the street from my house with my tablet to check my leagues and verify how bad Im being crushed!! Lol!! On a side note, Ive recently lost 85 lbs so I am REALLY looking forward to some damn WINGS!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Daltnator said:

My opening day tradition is to watch the 1 oclock(east coaster!) slate of games at B Dubs up the street from my house with my tablet to check my leagues and verify how bad Im being crushed!! Lol!! On a side note, Ive recently lost 85 lbs so I am REALLY looking forward to some damn WINGS!!!!!!!!

Now this is the kind of posts I was hoping to elicit, not that fawning Elf-esteem displayed above.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:48 PM, AxeElf said:

You are a condescending douche-nozzle but I'm happy things worked out for you.👍

The first of 18 Sundays

Taking Fios Router to the theater equipment room and plugging in PS4 to stream Sunday Ticket Gamemix Channel,  that I let my brother surf which 4 games are on 120” screen

Then setting up two 32” screens on little stands for the local CBS and FOX games 

6 games simultaneously 

BS Directv stopped the 8 game GameMix channel, that was the focking bomb

In all seriousness, I’m glad you made it through that!  I don’t know if weight is still an issue for you or not, but I personally dropped 60 lbs the past 2 years simply by going on a low carb (kinda keto I guess) diet. It’s the greatest thing I ever did, and frankly SO much easier than anything else I ever tried. I used to have terrible cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and now my blood work is pristine, and I feel great.  I eat like a horse still and never hungry.  It’s been a literal life saver, considering my dad almost died of a heat attack at 49 (I’m 47). Everyone is different, but it’s worth looking into. 

1 hour ago, RedzoneMonster said:

In all seriousness, I’m glad you made it through that!  I don’t know if weight is still an issue for you or not, but I personally dropped 60 lbs the past 2 years simply by going on a low carb (kinda keto I guess) diet. It’s the greatest thing I ever did, and frankly SO much easier than anything else I ever tried. I used to have terrible cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and now my blood work is pristine, and I feel great.  I eat like a horse still and never hungry.  It’s been a literal life saver, considering my dad almost died of a heat attack at 49 (I’m 47). Everyone is different, but it’s worth looking into. 

Good to hear.  More protein than fat?   If you can point to a source to get more info that would be awesome.  I'm already feeling guilty for the couch session starting at 1PM EST ...

Three people accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior today, and where baptized.  

Great opening weekend.  

Thanks.