Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Week 1 Random Thoughts and Observations

1. Larry Rountree looks good and is splitting time with Ekeler
  2. Goff looks terrible 5 minutes into the season, but the Detroit O-line isn't as terrible as I expected it to be.
  3. Mike Williams getting a lot of looks so far on the first two drives.
  4. I think YouTubeTV might be autoskipping commercials when you flip between games.  Not quite sure on that yet.
  • Like 1

Looks like the people who said Hockenson was the pass catcher to invest in in Detroit were correct.

• Like 1

49ers bring in Trey Lance in the red zone to throw his first NFL TD pass!

Matt Ryan is terrible!

Elijah Mitchell is going to get some run this season for SF.

Those of us who scooped Gerald Everett may be pleasantly surprised this season.

Zach Wilson, struggling a bit early on

4 minutes ago, nobody said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick hurt... Bummer

They have a whopping 30 yards passing at the half!

9 minutes ago, nobody said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick hurt... Bummer

That’s what happens when your old QB doesn’t take the super soldier serum like Brady did.

Almost every one the elf promoted had a horrible first half. Starting with Najee, Henry and Aiyuk all miserable. I feel so fortunate I don’t listen to his sorry fantasy opinions 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Almost every one the elf promoted had a horrible first half. Starting with Najee, Henry and Aiyuk all miserable. I feel so fortunate I don’t listen to his sorry fantasy opinions 

LOL!

I dunno what you're watching, but a lot of the "elite" RBs are having rough starts.

Meanwhile, my two most-frequently drafted RBs (31 shares of each in 60 leagues) are sitting on top of the rushing leaderboard...

Rushing Leaderboard

...and my 6th- and 11th-most frequently drafted WRs are sitting at #1 and #3 on the receiving leaderboard...

Receiving Leaderboard

So while you're laughing about several RB1s having lukewarm starts and a WR I benched in all leagues due to the matchup, the players who are going to give me (and those wise enough to copy Axe Elf in everything he does) an advantage are tearing things up.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

LOL!

I dunno what you're watching, but a lot of the "elite" RBs are having rough starts.

Meanwhile, my two most-frequently drafted RBs (31 shares of each in 60 leagues) are sitting on top of the rushing leaderboard...

Rushing Leaderboard

...and my 6th- and 11th-most frequently drafted WRs are sitting at #1 and #3 on the receiving leaderboard...

Receiving Leaderboard

So while you're laughing about several RB1s having lukewarm starts and a WR I benched in all leagues due to the matchup, the players who are going to give me (and those wise enough to copy Axe Elf in everything he does) an advantage are tearing things up.

Listen to the Elf you fall all over yourself…

29 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Deebo is the man to own there

Najee looks sloooooow

Chargers got screwed.  Herbert had a forward pass knocked out his hand and the refs called it a fumble.  Then they uphold on review.  Odd call.

Zero receptions for Ekeler ?

For teams in shallow leagues in need of RB's,(Mostert) Ingram II already has 25 carries.

Is Jacksonville that awful, or are the Texans going to be less awful than expected ?

You should see this play where Aaron Rodgers throws a pick on a deep ball to MVS.  The Saints defender is returning the ball and MVS who was the target is just jogging behind him like he doesn't even care.

33 minutes ago, nobody said:

You should see this play where Aaron Rodgers throws a pick on a deep ball to MVS.  The Saints defender is returning the ball and MVS who was the target is just jogging behind him like he doesn't even care.

I love that the Packers coaxed Rodgers to come back just so they could bench him in the 2nd half of Week 1.  lol

Not only did Ekeler not have a rec, he didn’t have a target.  

Montgomery looked real good Vs a real good def.  

T Hill high first round worthy.  

Higbee and Everett will be very good double digit round qbs. 

The Falcons have problems.  

So far so good , I kept saying that I think the Titans might be less offensive productive this season.  

Anderson of the Panthers did score a td on one target, he’s clearly the third option and watch out as T Marshall develops he might be option four.  

The Bears need to just stoping playing games, and give the Qb job to Fields.  

Those owners that picked both Niners Rbs , which I thought wasn’t a very good ideal, aren’t feeling good tonight.  They picked the wrong two. 

The Chubb is a darn good rb, and he’s running behind a darn good oline.  

Rodgers will be hosting jeopardy in a few weeks.  

Steelers had an impressive win at Buffalo. 

Young mr Herbert was really good on the road Vs a good def.  

Thielen had another two td game  

And Kupp might be the better Rams wr   

Thanks  

Imagine thinking Terry Mclaurin and his situation was worth a higher draft pick than Amari Cooper and his situation.

• Confused 1

what about Eli Mitchell in San Fran?

I saw the long TD run he made.   it surprised me a bit.  the scouting report said the kid didnt have a lot of speed or elusiveness, but that play suggests otherwise.

Granted its only one play, but his stats on the night were very good overall.

I only saw the one play on highlights,(couldnt watch. moving into my new house)  but I plan to watch the replay of the game when time permits.

but if that one play is any indication, he passes the eye test.  If Mostert misses significant time, he looks like he could be a nice pickup.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

what about Eli Mitchell in San Fran?

I saw the long TD run he made.   it surprised me a bit.  the scouting report said the kid didnt have a lot of speed or elusiveness, but that play suggests otherwise

That's weird.  One of his strengths was his speed coming out of college.

52 minutes ago, Maulers1973 said:

Sam Darnold showed the Jets he CAN play!   Kind of nice to see that!    

Nice to have Mccaffery, a luxury that Bridgewater didn’t have but for four games last season.  

Interesting that after game one, Darnold and Bridgewater are avg the same about points this season.  

1 hour ago, nobody said:

That's weird.  One of his strengths was his speed coming out of college.

I re read that scouting report.

Maybe they had the wrong guy when they wrote up the report

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/eli-mitchell/32004d49-5425-7014-1099-952db785e3db

the parts  below were  taken from the combine report.  some of these didnt show in what I saw yesterday, but he also had a recovery from a lisfranc injury early in his college career, and those  can be particularly bad to recover from.  some never do fully recover depending on severity.  so another year removed from that  could make a world of difference.  either  way, read below:

Overview-from the link

Productive runner with good size but lacks the quickness and juice to force defenses to respect the full width of the football field against him. While he's experienced in outside zone, he might be too tight-hipped, lacking the burst necessary as a one-cut runner. He does have the size and vision to bang around inside, but he's not very dynamic or creative and needs it well-blocked in front of him. He might have to step it up in pass protection and as a special teams player to create a spot for himself as a third-down back with value in the kicking game.

Weaknesses
  • One-speed runner lacking juice to turn the corner.
  • Tightness in hips prevents him from slashing.
  • Takes too much time to accelerate after cutting.
  • Lacks creativity between the tackles.
  • More grinder characteristics than playmaker.
  • Very little special-teams experience.

From NBC Sports...

Trent Sherfield, who has been a reliable target for both Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance throughout training camp, has offered competition for Aiyuk. The former Arizona Cardinal receiver has an apparent edge in the the standings thus far. 

“We started Trent,” Shanahan said. “They’ve been rotating a lot throughout the preseason, but Aiyuk has only been back for a week after he tweaked his hamstring and we want to be smart with that.

"Also, Trent Sherfield has earned the right to be out there more.”

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

From NBC Sports...

Trent Sherfield, who has been a reliable target for both Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance throughout training camp, has offered competition for Aiyuk. The former Arizona Cardinal receiver has an apparent edge in the the standings thus far. 

“We started Trent,” Shanahan said. “They’ve been rotating a lot throughout the preseason, but Aiyuk has only been back for a week after he tweaked his hamstring and we want to be smart with that.

"Also, Trent Sherfield has earned the right to be out there more.”

I was wondering  about this  too.  thanks for the info

What a big blow to those owners that listen to the elf proclaiming how good Aiyuk was going to be, you listen to the elf your looking at an empty space on the self.  

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

"Aiyuk has only been back for a week after he tweaked his hamstring and we want to be smart with that."

I kind of suspected this might have played into the decision as well.

Fortunately, everyone who listened to Axe Elf benched Aiyuk in Week 1 anyway, so no one has any excuses if they got burned.

Robinson and Hyde need to combine for more then 14 att 

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

Robinson and Hyde need to combine for more then 14 att 

Robinson might be the big loser of the group, it’s pretty clear coach doesn’t want to lean on him at all. But we def need to see a game script that showcases the run game more to be sure.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

What a big blow to those owners that listen to the elf proclaiming how good Aiyuk was going to be, you listen to the elf your looking at an empty space on the self.  

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

I kind of suspected this might have played into the decision as well.

Fortunately, everyone who listened to Axe Elf benched Aiyuk in Week 1 anyway, so no one has any excuses if they got burned.

heard sermon and Aiyuk broke curfew.

On the chargers radio network, the color guy was saying WR Mike Williams' agent just be thrilled because he is playing a key role in the offensive system brought over from the saints that is very high usage.  Expects a career year from williams and it's a contract year for him.