Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

I mentioned this in the vaccine thread; any of you heard of this?  I'm almost positive my 25 yr old son has it.  Here are the criteria and a link to some more info:

The following criteria is established to determine if a child has Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Oppositional Defiant Disorder

1. A Disruptive, Impulsive-Control, and Conduct Disorder marked by a negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior toward authority figures persisting for at least six months
  2. Developmental progression to Conduct Disorder; it often co-occurs or precedes a diagnosis of Conduct Disorder, but many ODD never develop Conduct Disorder
  3. ODD often manifests through excessive stubbornness, revenge-seeking, oppositionality, and blaming of others for wrongdoing
  4. Verbal aggression and outbursts common, but do not include aggression toward people or animals, or destruction of property
  5. Symptoms begin round preschool years and most often present around family members
  6. Wide estimates of prevalence rates (1 to 11 percent). In childhood, boys more likely than girls to have ODD; gender disparity diminishes by adolescence
  7. Linked to inconsistent, neglectful, or overly harsh parenting, temperament. Possibly neurobiological markers.
  8. High comorbidity with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
  9. Increased risk for anxiety, depression, antisocial behavior, and substance use disorders.

https://www.smarterparenting.com/behavioral-issues/oppositional-defiant-disorder/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7fuJBhBdEiwA2lLMYdsxQrPhOfyFOkQoXS44u6W73nvTXRxC1hAd7tyIUhTf4Vt0N3TU2xoC6U0QAvD_BwE

I don't think we were #7.  :unsure:  No known #9, at least drinking beyond normal for a 25 yr old.  Probably somewhere on the ADHD scale.

Thoughts?

yes. I used to be an MFT and worked with many adolescents. Diagnosable up through a certain age. If the traits persist, they might meet criteria for order conditions/disorders.

is this something new he's doing? 

Says that symptoms usually start in preschool; he's 25...so I am wondering if you noticed it years ago? 

My son never had it, but I have heard of kids who have, and they see it waaaaay earlier than mid 20s. 

I think WR Brandon Marshall claimed to be diagnosed with that a while ago.

To me, it just sounds like trying to excuse being an azzhole.:dunno:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

I am not positive, but believe it might have been Borderline PD

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

is this something new he's doing? 

Says that symptoms usually start in preschool; he's 25...so I am wondering if you noticed it years ago? 

My son never had it, but I have heard of kids who have, and they see it waaaaay earlier than mid 20s. 

No, he has been like this his whole life, I just didn't know it was a "thing."  

I should add that to the extent it has a genetic component, there are some others in our family who we suspect have this as well.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

No, he has been like this his whole life, I just didn't know it was a "thing."  

I should add that to the extent it has a genetic component, there are some others in our family who we suspect have this as well.

It was the parenting 😉

I think my wife has this sh!t.....

20 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

It was the parenting 😉

I said it wasn't #7 you focking idiot$#@!  :mad: 

43 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Who's down with ODD? :banana:

I wondered how long this would take.  :thumbsup: 

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I said it wasn't #7 you focking idiot$#@!  :mad: 

Bad parenting isn’t limited to #7. 😝

Just what we needed. Another fake disorder. QUICK! Someone make a drug to treat it!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, edjr said:

Just what we needed. Another fake disorder. QUICK! Someone make a drug to treat it!

I'm sure there's some kind of animal medication that will treat it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm sure there's some kind of animal medication that will treat it.

God. it is unreal how gullible people are. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

Brandon Marshall is bipolar. Whatever he is taking for it has kept him out of prison cause that was where he was heading.

2 hours ago, edjr said:

This.  We have to be able to explain the poor decisions and or behavior of everyone with some diagnosis nowadays. 

We had a doctor tell us our oldest son (7) may have ODD when he was like 3 or 4. He would have complete meltdowns over very minor things several times every day. He would fight us on everything. It was draining and parenting was not a fun experience. He was that way since day one...a fussy baby that cried constantly and it just never stopped. He is much better now that he is 7, but hes still a challenge.

Never heard of it but sounds like 75%of the kids I grew up with.  

We sat at the cool kids table btw.

10 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Never heard of it but sounds like 75%of the kids I grew up with.  

We sat at the cool kids table btw.

Did you all wear sweater vests?

9 hours ago, edjr said:

Did you all wear sweater vests?

I wonder if he wore the Crips sweater vest or the Bloods sweater vest.  :thumbsup: