Sign in to follow this  
Fearsome

Raheem Mostert to IR

49ers RB Raheem Mostert (knee) will be placed on IR and will be out approximately eight weeks after chipping cartilage in his knee. (Nick Wagoner)

That said...Elijah Mitchell > Michael Carter or is Carter better stashed for later in the season in non-PPR leagues when the Jets figure out their backfield mess?

11 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Sermon is behind Mitchell as well as Hasty for now.

We don't know that, unless you have access to an alternative depth chart or something...?

With Mostert out of the way for now, I would expect Sermon would be the co-starter with Mitchell, much like Mostert was before the injury.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

We don't know that, unless you have access to an alternative depth chart or something...?

All we can go off of is what is done and what is said. Coach said Mitchell/Hasty simply beat out Trey Sermon in training camp/preseason. What was done is Sermon was inactive, thus behind those 2. So I’d call those “or somethings”. Wether that holds true going forward we can’t know, but that’s how it is right now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Coach said Mitchell/Hasty simply beat out Trey Sermon in training camp/preseason.

Do you have a source for that?  It's the first I've heard in that regard.

But if so, yeah, that's probly more current than the depth chart.

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

He has also said recently that there is no firm hierarchy in the backfield. But there’s more than enough smoke here to have a fire for the time being at least. Could be trying to motivate him, who knows.

Axually, yeah, I did some digging around... apparently that's in the context of special teams, though...  Sermon wasn't going to be used on special teams, and since Mostert was the starting RB, they could free up a roster slot by making Sermon inactive.

He's probly still behind Mitchell and Hasty on special teams, but I would expect that he'll be a big part of the RBBC going forward, and probly the lead back soon.

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

But if so, yeah, that's probly more current than the depth chart.

sometimes a coach feels a young player needs a kick in their complacency.  Maybe this is what the kid needed.

hard to say, but it is certainly possible that he actually starts the next game.   Though given the game that was just put up by Mitchell, the odds of that have dropped considerably.

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Though given the game that was just put up by Mitchell, the odds of that have dropped considerably.

He's certainly earned the right to more playing time.

Forking Mostert though...  2 carries for 20 yards and then he goes down for half the season.

The guy is an absolute BEAST when healthy--if he could just make it through a quarter of football.

Rumor has it that Sermon and Aiyuk both missed curfew and was the reason for their usuage or lack of usage. 

Actually heard Sermon is having some problem with what it takes to be a pro in the NFL. I think he's way more talented than Elijah Mitchell and Hasty so I think it's a head problem not a physical problem. Now with Mostert out Sermon has a golden opportunity to get significant playing time and show Shanahan he has what it takes to be a pro RB in the NFL. For his sake I hope he gets his head screwed on right or there will go another talented athlete sabotaging what could be a successful NFL career. What's wrong with these younguns' today? Life's hard enough as it is and to just piss away a possible bright nfl career, not to mention the money that could be earned, is beyond me why these knuckleheads do what they do. Guess I'm just too old school.

1 hour ago, DocNiner said:

Actually heard Sermon is having some problem with what it takes to be a pro in the NFL

Kind of a companion rumor to the "missed curfew" rumor, as meeting curfew is one of those things it takes to be a pro in the NFL.

1 hour ago, DocNiner said:

Actually heard Sermon is having some problem with what it takes to be a pro in the NFL. I think he's way more talented than Elijah Mitchell and Hasty so I think it's a head problem not a physical problem. Now with Mostert out Sermon has a golden opportunity to get significant playing time and show Shanahan he has what it takes to be a pro RB in the NFL. For his sake I hope he gets his head screwed on right or there will go another talented athlete sabotaging what could be a successful NFL career. What's wrong with these younguns' today? Life's hard enough as it is and to just piss away a possible bright nfl career, not to mention the money that could be earned, is beyond me why these knuckleheads do what they do. Guess I'm just too old school.

No.  Youre not.

If I had a legit shot at playing NFL or any professional sport, it would be clean living(within reason.  occasional beers are ok).  Be the best you can be.

give yourself every advantage to be the best.

but some out there just would rather party.   I played hockey at a pretty high level.  guy I played with was drafted and played in the NHL.   

funny thing is, he wasnt the guy who was supposed to be the pro star.  the guy who played the other wing was the guy with all the talent.  but he drank, smoked, did weed and partied all the time.   He ended up with a minor league career.   the guy who made the NHL had talent too.  solid pro career too.  but he was not the talented on on our team.   but the party in him defeated the talent in him.   I think that happens a lot.  if you dont want it enough or would rather party, you just dont make it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

No.  Youre not.

If I had a legit shot at playing NFL or any professional sport, it would be clean living(within reason.  occasional beers are ok).  Be the best you can be.

give yourself every advantage to be the best.

but some out there just would rather party.   I played hockey at a pretty high level.  guy I played with was drafted and played in the NHL.   

funny thing is, he wasnt the guy who was supposed to be the pro star.  the guy who played the other wing was the guy with all the talent.  but he drank, smoked, did weed and partied all the time.   He ended up with a minor league career.   the guy who made the NHL had talent too.  solid pro career too.  but he was not the talented on on our team.   but the party in him defeated the talent in him.   I think that happens a lot.  if you dont want it enough or would rather party, you just dont make it.

Just because they have a chance to play in the NFL doesn’t mean they are still not kids and their is no information that says drugs or alcohol are involved. Their is obviously a story here that the 49ers would rather keep in house. 

49ers rb coach Bobby Turner has a knack for finding rb sleepers. Rumors are EM was his pick. Nice speed in space.

Even if Sermon missed curfew was.the reason for his game scratch I hope he learned a lesson. It starts with the little things.and before you know it you've derailed your whole career. The message was.sent to.Sermon so now we will see if the message was.teceived. I hope it was for Sermon's sake because if not I'm sure Elijah Mitchell won't mind if he jumps ahead of Sermon.

Wow, that didn't take long at all.

I figured he would end up on IR sometime but this is even sooner than I expected

15 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Axually, yeah, I did some digging around... apparently that's in the context of special teams, though...  Sermon wasn't going to be used on special teams, and since Mostert was the starting RB, they could free up a roster slot by making Sermon inactive.

He's probly still behind Mitchell and Hasty on special teams, but I would expect that he'll be a big part of the RBBC going forward, and probly the lead back soon.

Acute observation and exactly what crossed my mind. Being a Mostert owner, I picked up Mitchell when I saw Sermon was inactive. I am not sure what’s going to happen moving forward. I may hold off a week and see what occurs. Coaches lie as often as being forthright. I am not currently convinced Mitchell is the lead🤷🏻‍♂️

17 hours ago, rilett said:

Rumor has it that Sermon and Aiyuk both missed curfew and was the reason for their usuage or lack of usage. 

In Detroit??? Wow, they must have some top quality groupies there. Crazy.

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why does Ohio State have so many knuckleheads? 

Because Miami quit recruiting them, they had to go somewhere, lol

knee surgery for Mostert as per NFL.com.   just announced 3 hours ago.  out for the year.