Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

Robby Anderson

He had one catch, and it scored me 18 pts

This league is PPR, 1 pt per 20 yds, and TDs over 50 yds are worth 15 pts

He's my flex play, for exactly this reason.  He is one of the best deep threats in the NFL.

Last season he was kind of limited by dink and dunk Teddy but excelled in PPR. With Darnold back, and the Panthers being better than the Jets, I think he's gonna have a big season in long ball leagues.

I standard and PPR, he may not be much better than a low end WR2, but in long ball, I think he has solid WR1 potential.

I think he had one target.  

He had 3 but they were quite efficient 🤣

13 hours ago, polecatt said:

This league is PPR, 1 pt per 20 yds, and TDs over 50 yds are worth 15 pts

That's a horrible scoring system.  The difference between a 49 yard TD and 50 yard TD being 9 points is absurd.

41 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's a horrible scoring system.  The difference between a 49 yard TD and 50 yard TD being 9 points is absurd.

40 to 50 yards is 12 pts.

You get screwed on a 39 yard TD.

It's how old school scoring was though. A lot of the first leagues, way back before fantasy was popular, it was only TDs that got you points and long TD plays were worth a lot more than short ones. It's a twist I've come to love. Gives big play guys added value, and why shouldn't it? Big plays like that are statistically as important anything

3 minutes ago, polecatt said:

It's how old school scoring was though. A lot of the first leagues, way back before fantasy was popular, it was only TDs that got you points and long TD plays were worth a lot more than short ones. It's a twist I've come to love. Gives big play guys added value, and why shouldn't it? Big plays like that are statistically as important anything

Gotchya.  Yeah I can somewhat see that, but to me, that gives more value to fluke plays.  I'm not a big fan of that.  Fantasy football already heavily leans towards luck, why push it further?  That's how I see it.  :dunno:

26 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Gotchya.  Yeah I can somewhat see that, but to me, that gives more value to fluke plays.  I'm not a big fan of that.  Fantasy football already heavily leans towards luck, why push it further?  That's how I see it.  :dunno:

So called fluke plays are a big part of the game though. It's quite uncommon for a single play to go half the length of the field or more. It takes some excellent execution and proper exploitation of defensive mistakes. I think that's worth a bonus.

I get what you're saying, and I was kind of like that when I first started in a league with this sort of scoring back in 2007. I've come to love it though. it's the most challenging league I've ever played in. When I've won the championship, it's been the most rewarding!

Where distance bonuses are applied, I like to see them calculated by formula, rather than by a "range" of scores.

For instance, one describes being screwed on a 39 yard TD being only 6 pts, while a 40 yard TD is 12 pts and a 50 yarder is 15 points.

Why not just tack on an additional 0.1 pts per yard of every scoring play?  So a 1 yard TD plunge is 6.1 points, and a 43 yard TD would be 10.3 pts.

Kinda like how a lot of FG scoring these days is 0.1 x length of FG, so a 27 yard FG is 2.7 pts and a 53 yard FG is 5.3 pts.  So you don't get a full extra point just by going from a 39 yard FG to a 40 yard FG.

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Where distance bonuses are applied, I like to see them calculated by formula, rather than by a "range" of scores.

For instance, one describes being screwed on a 39 yard TD being only 6 pts, while a 40 yard TD is 12 pts and a 50 yarder is 15 points.

Why not just tack on an additional 0.1 pts per yard of every scoring play?  So a 1 yard TD plunge is 6.1 points, and a 43 yard TD would be 10.3 pts.

Kinda like how a lot of FG scoring these days is 0.1 x length of FG, so a 27 yard FG is 2.7 pts and a 53 yard FG is 5.3 pts.  So you don't get a full extra point just by going from a 39 yard FG to a 40 yard FG.

Yeah, I agree. That's probably a better way of doing it, but the limitations of the host site mostly prevents such things.

I saw a scoring system several years ago that I think would be very interesting to play by.

It basically gives 1 pt per yard gained, and something like a 20 pt bonus at 100 yds.

TDs were worth 60 pts + whatever the yardage was tacked on. Example, a 1 yd TD run would be 61 pts, a 5 yard TD would be 65 pts, etc.

The scores of course would get really high, but I would prefer that to decimals.

1 minute ago, polecatt said:

It basically gives 1 pt per yard gained, and something like a 20 pt bonus at 100 yds.

I had one league where rushing yards only were 1 pt per yard; passing and receiving were still 0.1.

Taysom Hill was outscoring Patrick Mahomes at QB.

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I had one league where rushing yards only were 1 pt per yard; passing and receiving were still 0.1.

Taysom Hill was outscoring Patrick Mahomes at QB.

🤣

That's what I would call a bad scoring system.

It's roughly supposed to be a reflection of the real game, that truly is fantasy

On 9/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, polecatt said:

My first year playing had a dumb scoring system like that.  You got 3 points for 75 yards rushing or receiving and a bonus at 100.  I had Marshall Faulk during that first greatest show on turf year and he had a lot of 72 yard rushing, 60 yard receiving type games.

On 9/14/2021 at 10:04 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

I've played in such leagues and hated it for the reason you stated. There's already enough dumb luck in fantasy football. 

My current league gives bonus points for going over 100 yds receiving or rushing, but not an arbitrary bonus. The player still has to earn them... Instead of 0.1 points per yard, it's 0.2 points per yard above 100. Now that's fair.