Sign in to follow this  
uflouie

Mostert out for the season

5 minutes ago, uflouie said:

Just hitting the news.  How much FAAB would you spend on Mitchel now?

Probly the same $1 I would have offered up before.

I like 49ers for being depth, but I don’t really want to rely on them. It’s the system that makes these rbs and they’ll deploy whatever rb they feel like on any given Sunday. Sermon is probably the rb1 but that could change every Sunday. This week everyone wants Mitchell, next week it could be Sermon, then Wilson or maybe even Kerryon Johnson who they just signed to their practice squad. They turn guys in street clothes into productive backs every year.

I'm thinking of dropping Sermon (rb5 for me) because it just isn't worth the headache. I'll never start him, sf is turning into BB west for rbs. Sure they will put up numbers, but it's anyone's guess which back week to week. 

9 minutes ago, Serenity Now said:

I like 49ers for being depth, but I don’t really want to rely on them. It’s the system that makes these rbs and they’ll deploy whatever rb they feel like on any given Sunday. Sermon is probably the rb1 but that could change every Sunday. This week everyone wants Mitchell, next week it could be Sermon, then Wilson or maybe even Kerryon Johnson who they just signed to their practice squad. They turn guys in street clothes into productive backs every year.

Agree. 

I have Mitchell in 1 shallow league. I'm going to leave him on the bench.

25 minutes ago, jackjohn said:

I'm thinking of dropping Sermon (rb5 for me) because it just isn't worth the headache. I'll never start him, sf is turning into BB west for rbs. Sure they will put up numbers, but it's anyone's guess which back week to week. 

I think another owner in your league will be very happy about that.  

44 minutes ago, weepaws said:

It's like you're not listening, Mostert is out for the year. Give it up.

1 hour ago, jackjohn said:

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

31 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Mostert is out for the year, and the poster above said he was thinking about letting Sermon go, and I said that another owner in that person league would be very happy, and that’s because Mostert is out, so what’s the problem? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

31 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

My bad.  I thought you were talking about Mostert.

I agree, I think it is early to give up on Sermon.

No problem, thank you. 

2 hours ago, uflouie said:

Just hitting the news.  How much FAAB would you spend on Mitchel now?

$1 is dumb. I’d say 15 but someone is going to throw it a 30 bid and I don’t see that being worthwhile 

54 minutes ago, jrokh said:

$1 is dumb. I’d say 15 but someone is going to throw it a 30 bid and I don’t see that being worthwhile 

its a know your league thing.

a guy in my league is probably gonna throw away more than half of his FAAB budget.  wouldnt be surprised if its closer to 3/4 of his budget($75).   

He does this every year on a week 1 wonder and it rarely works out for him.

but most normal leagues I'd guess $40-50 out of a $100 Faab Budget.

57 minutes ago, jrokh said:

well, if you have a position you can fill with him and you dont want someone getting him on the cheap, you go ahead and bid the $15 knowing you wont likely get him.

that is what I call a defensive bid.  Just to make sure nobody gets him for super cheap.

This whole situation is bizarre.

The comments by Shanahan don't really match up with his actions.  He claims that Sermon was outplayed in the preseason by Hasty and Mitchell, but Sermon was consistently running as the 2nd back to Mostert in every preseason game.  If that was the case, the implication is he demoted Sermon in the 2 weeks between the last preseason game and week 1.  That's certainly possible, but pretty irregular.

Look at these quotes

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-kyle-shanahan-placed-trey-sermon-inactive-in-week-1

"I think he handled it like a pro," said Shanahan on Sermon's placement on the inactive list. "He battled some injuries throughout training camp. So did Elijah [Mitchell]. Hasty got some opportunities in the preseason and looked good. Elijah came in and looked a little bit ahead of him in the limited play that he got, and no one was passing up Raheem [Mostert].

"You can only get three guys up and it's not an easy decision, but that's part of the NFL. It's a matter of time. We haven't gone through a year here where we haven't started at least four different backs. Now we're into Week 2 and he's up regardless and I expect him to come in and play at a high level and keep getting better. There is a reason why we drafted him. We have a lot of confidence in him."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/150081-49ers-lions-shanahan-sermons-status-elijah-mitchell-recaps-nfl/

Mitchell, who was selected in Round 6 of the 2021 NFL Draft out of the University of Louisiana, finished the day with 19 carries for 104 yards, with one of those carries going for a 38-yard touchdown. Mitchell was impressive for the 49ers during training camp and the preseason when he was healthy, so his success when given the opportunity didn't come as a big surprise to head coach Kyle Shanahan.

"I thought he did a real good job," Shanahan said. "That's kind of what we expected him to do. But it's always tough in your first game and stuff. He went in there and didn't hesitate and ran the ball well."

Mitchell's involvement wasn't something many outside of 49ers facilities expected given the fact Sermon was seemingly higher in the pecking order during the preseason. But Shanahan said Sermon's status was never etched in stone, as was demonstrated on Sunday.

"We rotate everybody with the ones, twos and threes throughout camp and stuff. Nothing is ever firm, to tell you the truth," Shanahan said.

Also suiting up along with Mitchell and Mostert was second-year back JaMycal Hasty, who finished with a three-yard touchdown run and one catch for 15 yards.

"We only dressed three backs," Shanahan said. "You always try to do four, but those were the three after doing training camp and stuff that we felt were the three we were going to go with."

Not sure about the curfew thing if Mitchell knew he was the No. 2 days before the game unless he missed curfew before they even traveled and somehow the coaches found out about it?

https://www.chicoer.com/2021/09/14/49ers-breakout-back-will-sixth-round-rookie-mitchell-get-starting-shot/

Mitchell said position coach Bobby Turner informed him a couple of days before his debut he’d be RB2 against the Lions. Sermon was a healthy scratch.

“Coach Bobby T. coaches everybody the same and keeps us ready to go because things happen,” Mitchell said after Sunday’s win.

Mitchell won over the 49ers’ brass the past couple weeks, however.

“History shows you can get them in the first round, you can get them in the sixth round, and you can get them undrafted,” coach Kyle Shanahan said of running backs.

“I usually like our percentages with running backs, whether it is a draft pick or whether it is an undrafted guy,” Shanahan said.

That’s because Shanahan and Turner seek “very special people” with attention to detail and ability to overcome adversity and pressure.

“Not everyone can handle that,” Shanahan said. “But when you get some undrafted guys who come in really hungry and very humble and pissed off, usually ready to prove to the world that everyone’s been sleeping on them, sometimes it’s a little easier with those guys.”

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/149936-transcripts-demeco-ryans-mcdaniel-richard-hightower-ahead-49ers-lions/

OC talking about Sermon Thursday before the game.  Not glowing praise saying they take it one day at a time.  They won't get ahead of themselves.  He'll be put out there when he's ready.  He's getting coached up and if he's doing well, they'll give him more opportunities.

Reporter: I think RB Trey Sermon got behind the eight ball just a little bit, he had an injury thing earlier on in camp. How has he come on in the last few weeks and how do you expect to be able to use him?

"He's been practicing well. And you take rookies one day at a time, across the board. You try not to get ahead of yourself because you want to put them out there with their teammates when they're ready. So every day we're evaluating Trey. And Bobby Turner does not let him slip an inch if he's wrong on a track or whatever. He's getting coached up and if he's doing well, we try to give him more opportunities and continue that momentum."

Reporter: What do you like about his skillset?

"Really like his vision, he's a big dude that has good cutting ability, rare cutting ability for a guy that size and I really like him as a human being. The way he approaches professional football as a professional, he's working on his craft day in, day out. And his goal is the same as ours. We want the final product to be as good as it can be and the only way you do that is if you're always hungry for him to get better and better and coach him up and see how good he can get."

We know Shanny is a liar, but this actually looks legitimately like Mitchell beat him out, but it doesn't appear to be by much.  I'm sure they'll evaluate on a game-by-game basis, but based on the quotes, I'd say it's Mitchell's job for now.   What makes me think Mitchell legitimately beat him out is the fact they let him know he was the number 2 days in advance.  That doesn't seem discipline related necessarily.