Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Yet another reason why you should NEVER count on Millenial(Or whatever they are called) Trend

It is a mix of age groups that liked Hard Seltzer it seems, and it also tends to the wealthy side. I am surprised it did as well as it did in the 45-54 age bracket as per the link below.

I have never tried the stuff and cannot wait for it to die, no interest in that crap. I wish the IPA craze would die off as well, but that is not going anywhere. I prefer darker and/or low alcohol beers with a low IBU, like Guiness, Murphy's, Shinerbock, etc.

https://snapshot.numerator.com/brand/spiked_seltzer

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It is a mix of age groups that liked Hard Seltzer it seems, and it also tends to the wealthy side. I am surprised it did as well as it did in the 45-54 age bracket as per the link below.

I have never tried the stuff and cannot wait for it to die, no interest in that crap. I wish the IPA craze would die off as well, but that is not going anywhere. I prefer darker and/or low alcohol beers with a low IBU, like Guiness, Murphy's, Shinerbock, etc.

https://snapshot.numerator.com/brand/spiked_seltzer

There is no IPA craze, it's a staple beer just like a lagers and stouts, unless you're talking about craft beers in general.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There is no IPA craze, it's a staple beer just like a lagers and stouts, unless you're talking about craft beers in general.

You see some selection of amber ales, however the selection of brown ales is quite limited. Dark lagers are practically nonexistent. Contrast that to the fact that almost all local brewers have 1-3 different IPA's available and in stock.

IPA has been the trendy beer type going on 5 years now, but I think it will slowly be replaced. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You see some selection of amber ales, however the selection of brown ales is quite limited. Dark lagers are practically nonexistent. Contrast that to the fact that almost all local brewers have 1-3 different IPA's available and in stock.

IPA has been the trendy beer type going on 5 years now, but I think it will slowly be replaced. 

BAM

brown ales matter!!!

• Haha 1

I have seen rows and rows Yerba Mate (a tea sold in a yellow can) suddenly stocked all over the place - that is definitely the new craze.  Still tons of White Claw tho.

7 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I dont know, everytime i look for a mixed 12 pack, its always like 3 or 4 different types of IPAs. I can have one, but my mouth tastes like sh!t after. Seems like theyre popular be ause its all I see at the stores.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I sure hope so.  Like you I like the darker beers, although I prefer higher alcohol and drinking lower volume, like an imperial porter or stout.  Porter is probably my favorite style, although Sam Smith's nut brown is near perfection.

Some double IPAs use a lot carmelized malt to balance out the extreme hops, but most of them are just bitter beer face drinks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I thought it was a drink for girls?

It is. It’s for people who can’t drink actual liquor. Basically the Smirnoff for today’s pansies 

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I sure hope so.  Like you I like the darker beers, although I prefer higher alcohol and drinking lower volume, like an imperial porter or stout.  Porter is probably my favorite style, although Sam Smith's nut brown is near perfection.

Some double IPAs use a lot carmelized malt to balance out the extreme hops, but most of them are just bitter beer face drinks.

I also like porters and stouts, but those are generally easier to find than a brown ale or a dark lager.

Founders and anchor are some of my favorite porters that are available nationally. Polygamy porter was good and was available in the Rockies.

Although after I type this post out and research porters, they are not near as common locally as IPA's.

I use untapped to track my beer ratings and IPA's are the dominate beer :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I drink them.  :dunno:

Helped me lose 40 lbs in a year.

My brother drinks them because he is in a similar situation, he needs to watch his weight.

That does not mean they should be popular though.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

I also like porters and stouts, but those are generally easier to find than a brown ale or a dark lager.

Founders and anchor are some of my favorite porters that are available nationally. Polygamy porter was good and was available in the Rockies.

Although after I type this post out and research porters, they are not near as common locally as IPA's.

I use untapped to track my beer ratings and IPA's are the dominate beer :thumbsdown:

I really like Founders Breakfast Stout 🤤

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I drink them.  :dunno:

Helped me lose 40 lbs in a year.

Yeah, they are a lower carb low alcohol replacement for session beers like Bud/Coors/Miller.  I'd rather drink the seltzers to be honest.  Great for a day on the lake, especially since the women folk stock the coolers and they'll actually drink the seltzers and not the cheap beers, so they like to stock up on them. :thumbsup: 

10 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I dont know, everytime i look for a mixed 12 pack, its always like 3 or 4 different types of IPAs. I can have one, but my mouth tastes like sh!t after. Seems like theyre popular be ause its all I see at the stores.

IPAs have been the most popular craft beer for a long time now.  I remember first getting into craft beer and being upset that there were so many more IPAs than darks beers everywhere, including my beer of the month club, and that was like 10 years ago.

10 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

If you go to a decent wine & spirits store you should be able to find plenty of porters.  Dark lagers are a different story, I've never seen many of them on shelves even though they are pretty good.  Sours and hazy IPAs are the biggest trend in craft beer the last couple years.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

If you go to a decent wine & spirits store you should be able to find plenty of porters.  Dark lagers are a different story, I've never seen many of them on shelves even though they are pretty good.  Sours and hazy IPAs are the biggest trend in craft beer the last couple years.

Maybe I am doing a poor job of explaining. I will choose a random houston brewery, although almost all microbreweries will prove my point. Look at the year round beers from the below brewery. It is crazy, they make 4 different IPA's and 2 different APA's. Pale ales are not that good compared to other beer types.

I am a beer snob, I understand that. However, I think that the consumers would benefit if the breweries changed their strategy and started making a wider variety of beers and more importantly less IPA's.

https://www.saintarnold.com/year-round-beers/

Kolsch: 1

Wit: 1

Blonde Ale: 1

Amber Ale 1:

American Pale Ale: 2

IPA: 4

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Maybe I am doing a poor job of explaining. I will choose a random houston brewery, although almost all microbreweries will prove my point. Look at the year round beers from the below brewery. It is crazy, they make 4 different IPA's and 2 different APA's. Pale ales are not that good compared to other beer types.

I am a beer snob, I understand that. However, I think that the consumers would benefit if the breweries changed their strategy and started making a wider variety of beers and more importantly less IPA's.

https://www.saintarnold.com/year-round-beers/

Kolsch: 1

Wit: 1

Blonde Ale: 1

Amber Ale 1:

American Pale Ale: 2

IPA: 4

That's just your own opinion though.  Breweries make what the public wants and pale ales are the most popular.  My local brewery usually has 3 to 6 different pale ales on tap.  I would be considered a beer snob by most.  My favorite styles of beer are IPAs and stouts.

Do you go to St. Arnold's a lot?  I've been there once when visiting my brother, very cool place.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That's just your own opinion though.  Breweries make what the public wants and pale ales are the most popular.  My local brewery usually has 3 to 6 different pale ales on tap.  I would be considered a beer snob by most.  My favorite styles of beer are IPAs and stouts.

Do you go to St. Arnold's a lot?  I've been there once when visiting my brother, very cool place.

Does the public buy lots of different IPA's because that is what is available though. Most people have not had good kolsches, dopplebocks, dunkel's, and even to a lesser extent dark lagers or brown ales because most breweries do not make them.

People do not even know if they would prefer those beer types because good luck trying to find them. Pretty much the only widely available dark lager in the US is the Brazilian beer, Xingu. Which is a good beer and I would recommend it. But most people do not try beers like that.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Does the public buy lots of different IPA's because that is what is available though. Most people have not had good kolsches, dopplebocks, dunkel's, and even to a lesser extent dark lagers or brown ales because most breweries do not make them.

People do not even know if they would prefer those beer types because good luck trying to find them. Pretty much the only widely available dark lager in the US is the Brazilian beer, Xingu. Which is a good beer and I would recommend it. But most people do not try beers like that.

Preach on.  You are echoing what I have been saying for the past 10-15 years.

But reality is that IPAs became popular, and breweries are targeting that market share... unfortunately not branching out more.

Edit: to add that I enjoyed Sierra Nevada and Red Hook when they came out.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

A good brewery will usually make all of those styles seasonally.  The brewery in my town does and I know some other ones in the area that do as well.  One of the more popular beers at the brewery here is a Vienna lager.  I like to try new beers all the time but the other styles are not my favorite.

You should check out Beer Drop.  You can customize what beer you get in your drop.  It's pretty awesome but can be a bit spendy.

Just now, Bier Meister said:

Preach on.  You are echoing what I have been saying for the past 10-15 years.

But reality is that IPAs became popular, and breweries are targeting that market share... unfortunately not branching out more.

Do the breweries in your area not make other styles throughout the year?  New Glarus does a great job making different styles of beer but they have a lot of European influence in their brewing.  If you're ever in southern WI I recommend stopping by their brewery, it's gorgeous.

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Do the breweries in your area not make other styles throughout the year?  New Glarus does a great job making different styles of beer but they have a lot of European influence in their brewing.  If you're ever in southern WI I recommend stopping by their brewery, it's gorgeous.

There is a difference between being able to find and having a wide variety available. There is as much variety(if not more) in those beer types as there is in an IPA, however when i want to try one of the obscure beer types I am limited between 1-5 possible beer choices where as an IPA drinker has 100+.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

:lol:   I am in northern california. I live 5 minutes away from lagunitas, and 30 minutes from Russian River. I know where to find what I like.  My commentary is on market share of production.  

I gravitate towards German and Belgian styles.  Even those get hopped up from the locals.  

I have had New Glarus.  They do a fine job.

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

There is a difference between being able to find and having a wide variety available. There is as much variety(if not more) in those beer types as there is in an IPA, however when i want to try one of the obscure beer types I am limited between 1-5 possible beer choices where as an IPA drinker has 100+.

I don't think IPAs are going anywhere but there always seems to be a change in popularity in other styles.  Sours are really popular now.  Pastry stouts seem to be pretty popular too.  Maybe porters will start becoming trendy soon.  Maybe a big brewery needs to promote the style and it will trend nationally.

One beer that I really liked but never see around is a black IPA.  Stone made a really good one but I never see that style around.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

One beer that I really liked but never see around is a black IPA.  Stone made a really good one but I never see that style around.

Perfect example of playing with a traditional bier (schwarz) and IPAing it.  

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Perfect example of playing with a traditional bier (schwarz) and IPAing it.  

Great tasting beer though.  I had one at a Des Moines brewery that was really good too.

Stone, and most breweries, does a nice job.  There is just a heavy focus on overly hopped bier.  

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Negra Modelo is a Vienna-style dark lager.  As is Dos Equis Amber.

Having dabbled in home brewing long ago, lagers are tougher to make than ales.  They ferment close to freezing and as such, much slower.  And the intention is for them to be super clear.  Ales ferment around room temp and based on the style can be plenty cloudy.  I could see a dark lager being relatively difficult to make to such standards.

I presume there is a reason the big mass brewers tend to make lagers, but I've never looked into it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Having dabbled in home brewing long ago, lagers are tougher to make than ales.  They ferment close to freezing and as such, much slower.  And the intention is for them to be super clear.  Ales ferment around room temp and based on the style can be plenty cloudy.  I could see a dark lager being relatively difficult to make to such standards.

I presume there is a reason the big mass brewers tend to make lagers, but I've never looked into it.

My guess is because they are usually a lighter, crisper beer.  The average beer drinker isn't a fan of a thick, heavy beers with a lot of taste.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

My guess is because they are usually a lighter, crisper beer.  The average beer drinker isn't a fan of a thick, heavy beers with a lot of taste.

... depends on season and environment

23 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

... depends on season and environment

I agree, during football season I drink more than I should, which is 3 nights a week of ~6 beers and usually 1 beer another night a week.

Although, on nights I drink I switch to Michelob ultra after 2-3 microbrews. I like the taste of light beers.

I am camping next weekend and light beers are good on camping trips.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Negro Modelo is a pretty decent mass market beer. 

Beer making sounds interesting, but I am unsure I will ever try. My wife tries to buy me a kit every year for Christmas though.

I do want to get into wine making, we have wild grapes in the forest behind our house, but I have been too lazy up to now.

9 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Negro Modelo is a pretty decent mass market beer. 

Beer making sounds interesting, but I am unsure I will ever try. My wife tries to buy me a kit every year for Christmas though.

I do want to get into wine making, we have wild grapes in the forest behind our house, but I have been too lazy up to now.

Brewing can be relatively easy or doctoral-level complex, depending on how you want to do it.  Being a chemical-ish engineer (petroleum, close enough), it should be in your wheelhouse as a hobby.  I got out of it decades ago when I first went keto (then Atkins) and never got back into it.

If you ever want to do it let me know and I'll give you some basic advice.  :cheers:

13 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

It is. It’s for people who can’t drink actual liquor. Basically the Smirnoff for today’s pansies 

Smirnoff was the Zima for yesterday's pansies.  Zima is the OG of that crap. 

• Like 1

I am inclusive when it comes to beer.  🏳️‍🌈

While my goto is usually an IPA I agree that there are so many decent ones out there that very few stand out above the rest.  Stone Ruination is what I usually grab at the grocery store.  I'll grab stuff from Melvin when available but they don't has as large a distribution. 

Our local brewery does a great job of having many styles available year round in addition to 3 IPAs (standard west coast, imperial, and a hazy).  Their Belgian dark ale and a high ABV milk stout on nitro are awesome.  They also have seasonal BBA stouts and a Belgian trippel. 

They also have a year round amber, blonde, pilsner, etc, but I stick with their IPAs and heavier stuff. 

Dammit.  Now I want a beer at 930am. :cheers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

I agree, during football season I drink more than I should, which is 3 nights a week of ~6 beers and usually 1 beer another night a week.

Although, on nights I drink I switch to Michelob ultra after 2-3 microbrews. I like the taste of light beers.

I am camping next weekend and light beers are good on camping trips.

Fall and winter I usually drink heartier bier... stouts, porters, hefe, dunkelweisse, wit, brun etc, 

Spring/summer: lighter bier... kona, maui, pacifico, some sours, some lambic, some radlers