Sign in to follow this  
Gladiators

Restaurant service

We’re out of town for a tournament for the weekend. Went to dinner last night and it was a nightmare. The General Manager was the bartender. Told us we wouldn’t get any faster service coming directly to the bar to get drinks and, in fact, it was a conflict of interest. WTF?!?!? :lol: Oh and there were about 5 people at the bar and 10 other people in the restaurant.

We decided to eat at the hotel restaurant tonight. Good service with a smile. $200 bill. I left her $100.

There is going to be a reckoning soon…

I think low end robot chefs cost $30,000 now.  Restaurants simply cannot pay much more than $20/hour for human staff before its cheaper to go all robots.  Hell, you can buy a bunch of service robots at $100k a pop and if they hold up for a few years they start paying for themselves.  

59 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

We’re out of town for a tournament for the weekend. Went to dinner last night and it was a nightmare. The General Manager was the bartender. Told us we wouldn’t get any faster service coming directly to the bar to get drinks and, in fact, it was a conflict of interest. WTF?!?!? :lol: Oh and there were about 5 people at the bar and 10 other people in the restaurant.

We decided to eat at the hotel restaurant tonight. Good service with a smile. $200 bill. I left her $100.

This took me a moment to understand.

I'm guessing the GM wants the sales to go to the wait staff to get bigger tips to keep the few people that want to work for a living making money and continue to work there. Because all these places are suffering trying to get employees and are understaffed. Hence, the GM working as a bartender.

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

There really is no recognition in until you tell us what the place is. And I swear to God I'll make it my life's work to make them look awful.

Why?

7 hours ago, wiffleball said:

There really is no recognition in until you tell us what the place is. And I swear to God I'll make it my life's work to make them look awful.

Point Burger Bar. I’m thinking there are just a couple of these places in the area we’re staying.

7 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

This took me a moment to understand.

I'm guessing the GM wants the sales to go to the wait staff to get bigger tips to keep the few people that want to work for a living making money and continue to work there. Because all these places are suffering trying to get employees and are understaffed. Hence, the GM working as a bartender.

I understand wanting to do that, but our waitress seemed too busy with her 1 other table to be able to get us drinks. We were at the restaurant for an hour and a half and got 1 drink the entire time we were there. The dad of the other family we were out to dinner with travels a lot for work and said this is becoming the norm. Sad

Still makes no sense.  All the GM had to do was give his tips to the wait staff. He was actually hurting his own people by not serving you

15 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Still makes no sense.  All the GM had to do was give his tips to the wait staff. He was actually hurting his own people by not serving you

Yep. End result is they missed out on another $50-$75 in alcohol sales + tips on those sales. And another family from our team was walking in as we left…We told them not to bother. The GM was an idiot. Guarantee they’ll be out of business soon.

2 hours ago, Gladiators said:

I understand wanting to do that, but our waitress seemed too busy with her 1 other table to be able to get us drinks. We were at the restaurant for an hour and a half and got 1 drink the entire time we were there. The dad of the other family we were out to dinner with travels a lot for work and said this is becoming the norm. Sad

Then she sucks. And the GM was a dumb ass in the first place with the whole conflict of interest bit anyway. 

Two weeks ago we went to the best restaurant in Indy, a place go 6-8 times per year and have been patronizing for about 8 years.

When the bill came it included a 3.5% kitchen gratuity!  Our waitress, who is our regular (36C I’d guess),  told us they can’t get qualified kitchen staff and use the tip as a hiring incentive now.  

On 9/19/2021 at 6:09 AM, TimmySmith said:

Some people are just completely clueless. They can see the poor or defining sales, yet they cannot, not matter how much you explain it to them, relate their decisions and behavior to the problems.

It’s horrible.  I feel bad for the service industry people who are working, it’s not their fault but the feel the brunt.  

New local diner opened up near me. They had "Accepting Applications" sign up for months before they opened. We went to eat there about a month after they opened and it was obvious they couldn't hire any competent wait staff. They could barely speak English and sucked at their job. I think they just had to put the dishwashers out on the floor to wait tables. People are not taking these jobs. They all want creepy joey and nasty pelosi to take care of them instead of working for a living. Then in a few years, they will all be shltting all over these streets like those in san francisco are doing in that focked up city today.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:55 PM, Gladiators said:

😆 who tips 50% for ‘good’ service or did you pay for the smile?

8 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

😆 who tips 50% for ‘good’ service or did you pay for the smile?

After the previous night, I was so happy to get good/quality service that I wanted to make her night.  Hopefully she keeps going back to work.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:13 AM, MLCKAA said:

Two weeks ago we went to the best restaurant in Indy, a place go 6-8 times per year and have been patronizing for about 8 years.

When the bill came it included a 3.5% kitchen gratuity!  Our waitress, who is our regular (36C I’d guess),  told us they can’t get qualified kitchen staff and use the tip as a hiring incentive now.  

I posted about this a while ago. That's bullshit. Look, if you want to charge me $6 for a slice instead of 5 fine. . But don't try to screw around with extra fees and nonsense. It's bad enough on a phone bill.

There's this whole concept called overhead. You building your pricing. What's next? Electricity convenience fee?

Just now, wiffleball said:

I posted about this a while ago. That's bullshit. Look, if you want to charge me $6 for a slice instead of 5 fine. . But don't try to screw around with extra fees and nonsense. It's bad enough on a phone bill.

There's this whole concept called overhead. You building your pricing. What's next? Electricity convenience fee?

In California it wouldn't be a shock.  

On 9/19/2021 at 6:21 AM, Utilit99 said:

Then she sucks. And the GM was a dumb ass in the first place with the whole conflict of interest bit anyway. 

Pretty easy to read through that one. The GM doesn't like being with customers.

23 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Local choke n puke closed dine in service...no workers...take out only...

It sucks...

theres a 7/11 i drive past sometimes.  chain and padlock on the doors but lights are always on.  sign says closed because they cannot find workers.  Been that way for months.