Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Wonder why planets orbit on same plane?

Reminds me of my favorite pick up line

Me:  did you know there are only 7 planets??

Her :  there are 9..if you count pluto

Me:  not after I smash uranus

• Haha 2

As an orrery maker you simply do not look a gift horse in the mouth.  :nono:

One thing I have never understood is why this bored sucks so bad.

I keed, I keed.

When Einstein theorizes about the fabric of space and that the gravity created by mass presses down onto this fabric and that it what potentially causes the orbit of planets etc.  I'm certain that this is an ignorant question but what is their theory with mass pressing down into the fabric of space/time?  What is pulling mass in any direction?  And why down?

12 minutes ago, fandandy said:

fagdandy has spoken.

19 hours ago, fandandy said:

I keed, I keed.

When Einstein theorizes about the fabric of space and that the gravity created by mass presses down onto this fabric and that it what potentially causes the orbit of planets etc.  I'm certain that this is an ignorant question but what is their theory with mass pressing down into the fabric of space/time?  What is pulling mass in any direction?  And why down?

mass warps the fabric of spacetime.  a planet warps it a lot.  a shoe flying by a planet will feel slower time on the side facing the planet and faster time on the side away from the planet.  slow always wins unless the object can be torn apart.  so the shoe starts turning in the direction of slowest time.  so it pulls in the direction of the planet.  that's gravity.

9 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

mass warps the fabric of spacetime.  a planet warps it a lot.  a shoe flying by a planet will feel slower time on the side facing the planet and faster time on the side away from the planet.  slow always wins unless the object can be torn apart.  so the shoe starts turning in the direction of slowest time.  so it pulls in the direction of the planet.  that's gravity.

But why, if it does, does gravity pull in one direction?  Why down on the fabric of space-time?  Why not up or sideways?  What is causing it to pull down?

And to reiterate, this is probably a stupid question but I am curious.

Speaking not about on the planet but the planet(s) on the fabric of space-time.  What is causing them to pull down?  To weigh down said fabric?  Why down?  What is pulling them down?

If they themselves create gravity based on their mass, how does that equate to space-time being pressed down?

5 minutes ago, fandandy said:

But why, if it does, does gravity pull in one direction?  Why down on the fabric of space-time?  Why not up or sideways?  What is causing it to pull down?

And to reiterate, this is probably a stupid question but I am curious.

Speaking not about on the planet but the planet(s) on the fabric of space-time.  What is causing them to pull down?  To weigh down said fabric?  Why down?  What is pulling them down?

If they themselves create gravity based on their mass, how does that equate to space-time being pressed down?

there is no up or down.  objects on the other side of the planet than you are pulled in the opposite direction.

19 hours ago, fandandy said:

And it turns out that the only one who sucks on this board is you. 

14 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

And it turns out that the only one who sucks on this board is you. 

FORTY BOOOOOOYAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I do it right?

5 minutes ago, Cantaloupe Fingerbang said:

FORTY BOOOOOOYAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I do it right?

On the top of the second page.

And you better put your game shoes on because I'm paying attention.

Modern physics is currently stuck on the question: Why does mass warp spacetime?  They don't really know.  There are candidates, like string theory, quantum gravity, a gravitron.  The search for the Higgs Boson was part of trying to figure it out.