Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

potential tie breakers for AL wild card spots

4 teams left for 2 wild cards:

Yankees: 68 69 70 losses
Red Sox: 69 70 losses
Mariners: 71 losses
Blue Jays: 70 71 losses

10/2 update:  Assuming the Red Sox hold onto this 5-1 9th inning lead, The Yankees and Red Sox will both play beyond 162 games.  At worst, they tie for some wild card spot.  The Mariners and Blue Jays do not control their own destiny and at BEST will tie for a wild card spot.

10/1 update:  bummer. Mariners lost and red sox won so the mariners no longer control their own destiny.  If the season ended now, the wild card game would be red sox at yankees. Puke.  Yankees did lose so their position is less secure. 

9/30 update: red sox lost, yankees won, blue jays lost.  Mariners were idle.  This was probably the biggest day so far in the Mariners season as they caught the red sox and now control their own destiny.  The blue jays briefly controlled their own destiny until they took loss #71.  If the season ended now, Mariners @ Red Sox to determine the second wild card, winner would play @ Yankees in the wild card game.

9/30 update: red Sox lost, which means everyone controls their own destiny. 

Currently, the Red Sox hold the best tiebreakers and are probably the most interesting case.  They win tiebreakers against everybody.

1. If the Red Sox tie another team for the FIRST wild card, they automatically get the first wild card, no game needed because this would be determined by tiebreakers between 2 teams.

2. If the Red Sox and 2 other teams all tie for BOTH wild cards, they would receive a designation (A, B or C).  A would host B.  Winner wins the FIRST wild card.  Loser must travel to team C.  Winner of the B/C game is the second wild card, and the loser is OUT.  The Red Sox would get to choose if they want to be A, B or C.  Tiebreakers would determine which of the other two teams gets to pick a designation.

3. If the Red Sox and 2 other teams all tie for the SECOND wild card, A would host B.  Winner hosts C and loser is OUT.  Winner of that game is the SECOND wild card and loser is OUT.  Red Sox get to pick if they want to be A, B or C because they own all the tiebreakers.

4.  I cannot find the scenario where ALL FOUR teams tie for BOTH wild cards.  I'm thinking that you'd have A B C D designations with A plays D while B plays C.  But it could be that Boston just wins the FIRST wild card outright and then the other three duke it out in an A B C playoff.

Note that in some of these scenarios, we could see a team travel between seattle and boston or new york.

Currently the only team left to finish tonite is the Mariners, so they are just trying to stay at 70 losses and 1 game back of a play-in.

4 team playoff, all teams play at the same time on the same field.

Red Sox last 5  

L8-3
L5-3
L6-3
L4-2
W6-0

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, edjr said:

4 team playoff, all teams play at the same time on the same field.

And they will still play he shift.  10 players all on one side of the field. 

16 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

I cannot find the scenario where ALL FOUR teams tie for BOTH wild cards.  I'm thinking that you'd have A B C D designations with A plays D while B plays C.  But it could be that Boston just wins the FIRST wild card outright and then the other three duke it out in an A B C playoff.

If the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Mariners were to all wind up tied for the two Wild Card spots, we’d have a mini-tournament on our hands. The clubs would choose/receive their A, B, C and D designations. On Monday, Oct. 4, Club A would host Club B and Club C would host Club D. The winners of those two games would be the Wild Card teams and would face each other in the ballpark of whoever had the superior head-to-head record.

12 minutes ago, posty said:

If the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Mariners were to all wind up tied for the two Wild Card spots, we’d have a mini-tournament on our hands. The clubs would choose/receive their A, B, C and D designations. On Monday, Oct. 4, Club A would host Club B and Club C would host Club D. The winners of those two games would be the Wild Card teams and would face each other in the ballpark of whoever had the superior head-to-head record.

Dumber than asking Posty if he watched The Godfather

9/30 update: red sox lost, yankees won, blue jays lost.  Mariners were idle.  This was probably the biggest day so far in the Mariners season as they caught the red sox and now control their own destiny.  The blue jays briefly controlled their own destiny until they took loss #71.  If the season ended now, Mariners @ Red Sox to determine the second wild card, winner would play @ Yankees in the wild card game.abcd

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

9/30 update: red sox lost, yankees won, blue jays lost.  Mariners were idle.  This was probably the biggest day so far in the Mariners season as they caught the red sox and now control their own destiny.  The blue jays briefly controlled their own destiny until they took loss #71.  If the season ended now, Mariners @ Red Sox to determine the second wild card, winner would play @ Yankees in the wild card game.abcd

I don't want the Red Sox to make the playoffs. They just lost a series to the Orioles :lol:  go the fuuck away.

10/1 update:  bummer. Mariners lost and red sox won so the mariners no longer control their own destiny.  If the season ended now, the wild card game would be red sox at yankees. Puke.  Yankees did lose so their position is less secure. 

10/2 update:  The Yankees and Red Sox will both play beyond 162 games.  At worst, they tie for some wild card spot.  The Mariners and Blue Jays do not control their own destiny and at BEST will tie for a wild card spot.

Go Rays and Nationals!

its always amazing that they play 162 games and it still comes down to bonus games quite often

and I hate people who say dont worry that game in May you choked away its a long season

Dodgers star 1B Max Muncy is OUT for the wild card game vs the Cardinals.  Former Cardinal legend Albert Pujols may wind up getting the start at 1B vs his old team, altho i could see Cody Bellinger playing instead. Muncy was 4th in the NL in homers.  Muncy is considered doubtful for a possible NLDS vs the Giants as well.  

On 10/3/2021 at 10:02 PM, tikigods said:

@edjr you going Tuesday night?

Not for free. Fock them and their ridiculous prices.

I am going to Whose Live Anyway Wednesday night :overhead:

3 hours ago, edjr said:

Not for free. Fock them and their ridiculous prices.

I am going to Whose Live Anyway Wednesday night :overhead:

Joel Murray as the fourth?  I never would have thought he would have been an improv guy, but after reading his Wiki entry, it sounds good...

Have a great time edjr...