Bert

Damn Europe Is Taking it in the Shorts

12 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Commodity traders getting burned feels good....love to hear that....

Watching people tell the nut job enviro extremists to piss off also feels good.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

I think that is related to china's domestic coal mining issues recently.

There was another article about how coal plants were turning off because they could not get enough coal and/or the coal prices were too high in China.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

I think that is related to china's domestic coal mining issues recently.

There was another article about how coal plants were turning off because they could not get enough coal and/or the coal prices were too high in China.

That is part of it.  China's coal problems are of their own making.  The government has taken a position people are cheaper than safety and technology in coal mining.

Also, increasing the price problem is the drop in wind production this summer in Europe.  That pushed up coal and nat gas prices as Europe was forced to use more gas fired and coal fired electricity this summer.  I don't believe the German plant running out of coal was materially impacted by China coal production.  Storage supplies of coal and nat gas are also low so they are hoping for a mild and windy winter.

43 minutes ago, Bert said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-05/india-facing-coal-shortage-could-run-out-of-power-explainer/100516332

This is a bigger problem than just China production.  Too bad we are not allowed to produce and export more coal.  

I read that article and my takeaway is that India has the ability to import coal, however they cannot afford it because the power companies are unable to raise prices.

Since the power companies cannot raise prices if they bought imported coal they would be losing money to generate power.

Is that your understanding as well?

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I read that article and my takeaway is that India has the ability to import coal, however they cannot afford it because the power companies are unable to raise prices.

Since the power companies cannot raise prices if they bought imported coal they would be losing money to generate power.

Is that your understanding as well?

Yes.  The system is pretty messed up in India.

My bigger concern is the sky rocketing global price of coal.  With the massive amount of coal we have in this country it seems to me we could inject a large amount of coal into the market to drive down global coal prices and make money for ourselves.  The proverbial win win.

16 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Major gas shortages and other fuel shortages happening. Boom

I hope the wind is at least still blowing....

• Like 1

Now Belarus is focking with Europe.  :lol:

"We provide heat to Europe, and they are threatening us with the border closure. What if we block natural gas transit?" Lukashenko said on Thursday, as quoted by Belarusian state news agency Belta.

"Therefore, I would recommend the leadership of Poland, Lithuanians and other brainless folk to think hard before opening mouth. But it is up to them. They are welcome to close the border. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs should warn everyone in Europe that if they impose additional sanctions, 'indigestible' and 'unacceptable' for us, we will hit back," Lukashenko was quoted as saying.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

"We provide heat to Europe, and they are threatening us with the border closure. What if we block natural gas transit?" Lukashenko said on Thursday, as quoted by Belarusian state news agency Belta.

"Therefore, I would recommend the leadership of Poland, Lithuanians and other brainless folk to think hard before opening mouth. But it is up to them. They are welcome to close the border. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs should warn everyone in Europe that if they impose additional sanctions, 'indigestible' and 'unacceptable' for us, we will hit back," Lukashenko was quoted as saying.

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

But Europe has windmills to break the embargo!!!  :lol::lol:

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

They have natural gas in Europe, Norway of course leads the way, but even other countries like Italy, Poland, UK, Netherlands, Germany etc have drilling rigs and enough proven natural gas reserves. If you add it all up they could be self sufficient if they want to or if it gets expensive enough Norway could provide for almost the whole continent.

Oil is more profitable of course, but Norway may want to start drilling for gas.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

They have natural gas in Europe, Norway of course leads the way, but even other countries like Italy, Poland, Germany etc have drilling rigs and enough proven natural gas reserves. If you add it all up they could be self sufficient if they want to or if it gets expensive enough Norway could provide for almost the whole continent.

Oil is more profitable of course, but Norway may want to start drilling for gas.

Just like California.  Europe, led by Germany, focked themselves by shutting down nuclear, coal and nat gas generation too fast because they were delusional in the belief wind power could easily replace those sources.  When the wind slowed down they were SOL and had to get in bed with Russia.  Brilliant leadership  and energy policy.    

It is a shame California is to ignorant to learn from the mistakes Europe has made.  Unfortunately, the rest of us will have to bail out California.  The same way we have to supply California with water. 

8 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

They have natural gas in Europe, Norway of course leads the way, but even other countries like Italy, Poland, UK, Netherlands, Germany etc have drilling rigs and enough proven natural gas reserves. If you add it all up they could be self sufficient if they want to or if it gets expensive enough Norway could provide for almost the whole continent.

But think about all the useless middlemen that would cut out of the deal. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

But think about all the useless middlemen that would cut out of the deal. 

Middlemen are not the issue.  Buying into the Al Gore, Greta Von climate change hysteria is the problem.  Weak minded leaders.  Just like California.

Just now, Bert said:

Middlemen are not the issue.  Buying into the Al Gore, Greta Von climate change hysteria is the problem.  Weak minded leaders.  Just like California.

Of course. But when you have to go elsewhere for your energy, in step an army of middlemen, in both countries and the countries you have to pass through.  

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Of course. But when you have to go elsewhere for your energy, in step an army of middlemen, in both countries and the countries you have to pass through.  

That is the price Europe is paying for its ignorance.