Sign in to follow this  
Daltnator

Panic on Lamb or Nah?

Is it time to offload CeeDee Lamb from your team? Is the last two weeks of the passing volume in Big D a Big Deal or is it just how they chose to game plan those specific games? Has Lamb fallen down to a Flex “hopeful”, no longer a WR2 or 3? Try to trade or stand pat, better days are ahead?
Dude was drafted to be my WR2 behind Keenan! Keenan was supposed to be the target hog and a PPR Monster, with Lamb a ridiculous upside that was supposed to hit more weeks than not on that high flyin offense! Dallas now a true ground and pound, only throwing 20-25 times a game? If so, there’s too many mouths to feed for Lamb to return the big value. One mans stupid opinion anyway. 

What say youse guys?

WRs are inconsistent and I don’t think he’s any different.

Cowboys can run and throw as well as any team in the NFL. I think they’ll adjust their game plan as needed. If the other defense loads the box or has a particularly good front 7, they’ll pass. If they try and stop the pass, they’ll run it. 

Dallas is reverting back to their ways from Dak's first 3 years.  From 2016-2018, Dak averaged 220 yards, 1.4 TD's, and 0.5 Int's per game (while Elliott 131 total yards and 0.88 TD's per game), and the Cowboys won't about two-thirds of their games.  In the last 2 years, when their defense stunk, they were a sub .500 team with Dak, going 10-11 where Dak averaged 321 yards per game and Elliott averaged 100 total yards per game.  Now that their defense doesn't suck anymore, they're going back to the model that won them 67% of their games.  The only game where they threw the hell out of the ball... they lost.

This isn't a Dak, Lamb, or Cooper issue, it's an offense system issue.  Dak throwing less and Elliott running more, is a winning model... Dak throwing more and Elliott running less, is a losing model.

Lamb will be fine.  McCarthy at heart wants to sling the ball around the yard and they mostly will at some point.  The bigger issue is that instead of getting the small route-tree and WR volume as say Metcalf/Lockett and Jefferson/Thielen, Dak is looking at both TEs, both RBs, Wilson, Gallup when healthy, etc.

Lamb was certainly over-drafted given all of these factors, but he’s still a WR1 imo

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Dallas is reverting back to their ways from Dak's first 3 years.  From 2016-2018, Dak averaged 220 yards, 1.4 TD's, and 0.5 Int's per game (while Elliott 131 total yards and 0.88 TD's per game), and the Cowboys won't about two-thirds of their games.  In the last 2 years, when their defense stunk, they were a sub .500 team with Dak, going 10-11 where Dak averaged 321 yards per game and Elliott averaged 100 total yards per game.  Now that their defense doesn't suck anymore, they're going back to the model that won them 67% of their games.  The only game where they threw the hell out of the ball... they lost.

This isn't a Dak, Lamb, or Cooper issue, it's an offense system issue.  Dak throwing less and Elliott running more, is a winning model... Dak throwing more and Elliott running less, is a losing model.

well, its a better model to run more when you have a subpar defense.

I think the dallas D was ok when healthy, but they had injuries last year throughout the lineup and late in games they were terrible (probably because the offense couldn't stay on the field for any length of time).   You can resolve this by passing less and running more and they have the line and the RB to do it.

More run plays kills the clock and reduces the amount of time your D has to spend on the field.   By doing this, a mediocre D can look good (at least sometimes).

I acknowledge some  younger players on the Dallas D have stepped up their game this year (so far) but I don't know that the D is good enough to perform when the run game isn't utilized at least to some degree.

don't get me wrong, this may not be the only reason.  Dak came back from a big time injury.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some issues there that wont keep him out of the lineup  but may need to be managed.  it is possible they are taking things a little slow with him too.

1 hour ago, Daltnator said:

So NO to the panic. Imma have to figure out how to have some confidence whilst starting him, then! Lol!

No, you should panic.  He's second banana to Cooper, and he takes plays off.  

Cooper can get open anytime he wants so Dak will always look his way.  Trade Ceedee while he still has value.

I think he’s worth shopping, the Zeke is running a lot again, and Pollard is getting the ball in the double digits every game, plus Gallup is due back,, Lamb is right avg the same as last season non ppr. Don’t see owners getting a lot of return for a third pick.  

I remember someone kept say Lamb was going to be a wr1 based on how great he was with Dak while Dak was healthy in Lambs rookie season.  

for those shopping him...what are you asking for and or getting back for him??

i am going to try and get a RB for him, just trying to gauge the interest and potential return. 

Chargers look like they think they're going to run the clock out here with 10 minutes left.  

Nice run Ekeler and it's all over but the Bryan Edwards garbage time stats..
Arizona the last undefeated team in the NFL.

15 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, its a better model to run more when you have a subpar defense.

I think the dallas D was ok when healthy, but they had injuries last year throughout the lineup and late in games they were terrible (probably because the offense couldn't stay on the field for any length of time).   You can resolve this by passing less and running more and they have the line and the RB to do it.

More run plays kills the clock and reduces the amount of time your D has to spend on the field.   By doing this, a mediocre D can look good (at least sometimes).

I acknowledge some  younger players on the Dallas D have stepped up their game this year (so far) but I don't know that the D is good enough to perform when the run game isn't utilized at least to some degree.

don't get me wrong, this may not be the only reason.  Dak came back from a big time injury.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some issues there that wont keep him out of the lineup  but may need to be managed.  it is possible they are taking things a little slow with him too.

The ONLY reason I disagree with your thoughts on their offense, regarding Dak's injury, is the fact that they threw the ball 52 times in Week 1.  They never, at any point, even tried to build a run game.  If they truly were worried about Dak, Dallas would've come out and tried to hammer Elliott and Pollard all night long.

49 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The ONLY reason I disagree with your thoughts on their offense, regarding Dak's injury, is the fact that they threw the ball 52 times in Week 1.  They never, at any point, even tried to build a run game.  If they truly were worried about Dak, Dallas would've come out and tried to hammer Elliott and Pollard all night long.

If Vea is healthy.... you don't run on TB

8 minutes ago, rallo said:

If Vea is healthy.... you don't run on TB

He doesn't need to be healthy.  He missed games 6 through 18 last year and Tampa still had the best run defense in the league.  Don't get me wrong, he's a stud and the team is better when he's there, but the rest of the DL can pick up the slack when he's not.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

fair point.

but at what point do you balance that need?

Tampa had starting corners out of the lineup and the best Run D in the nfl by numbers the previous year.

its not like you are gonna go try to run against the top Run D.  smart move is to throw it.

but yeah, if Dak can take that, there is likely no need to reduce workload for that reason.   

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

fair point.

but at what point do you balance that need?

Tampa had starting corners out of the lineup and the best Run D in the nfl by numbers the previous year.

its not like you are gonna go try to run against the top Run D.  smart move is to throw it.

but yeah, if Dak can take that, there is likely no need to reduce workload for that reason.   

I would agree , that gave them the best shot at winning.  

I am glad they have deployed the TE's and RB's at the beginning of the year... gives teams something to think about. Which will open doors for Lamb. 

And more so for the Cowboys wr1 Cooper. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snatchit said:

I am glad they have deployed the TE's and RB's at the beginning of the year... gives teams something to think about. Which will open doors for Lamb. 

when you spread out the love, usually the yards per catch go up a bit but the number of catches go down a bit.  TD's for the team usually are up on average too.  how that breaks out by player obviously is up for speculation.

hes essentially getting a slightly smaller piece percentage wise, but the pie will likely be larger.  whether that means more or less yards is tough to say, but I dont think I'd get rid of him because of this development

• Like 1

You would if someone was to give you a player for him that is performing better , and that as happen, Lamb fans, and even cowboys fans.

On 10/6/2021 at 12:57 AM, weepaws said:

You would if someone was to give you a player for him that is performing better , and that as happen, Lamb fans, and even cowboys fans.

well, if someone offered me Ceedee I'd certainly consider it if the offer was reasonable.

but given recent production hes not a guy you go out and overpay to get. 

No you never want over pay, but some will.  

18 minutes ago, weepaws said:

No you never want over pay, but some will.  

there is a reason some are winners and some losers.   

Overpaying for players is usually a losing strategy.   

It can work if the player blows up but most of the time the overpay hinders your chances of winning.  it does not help

Good game today