Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Chargers enter tonite almost a super bowl team - team of the decade?

My formula for predicting a super bowl champion has never failed BUT a team that meets the criteria has not appeared for a few years now.  There are 2 components to the formula.

1.  An elite defense (as defined by my criteria)
2. A franchise QB.

2 teams in the NFL have an elite defense (at least up to this point) according to my formula:

1. The Panthers
2. The Saints

Unfortunately, neither of these teams have a franchise QB.  HOWEVER, the Chargers are a smidge away from qualifying as having an elite defense.  And THEY have a franchise QB.  A good showing tonite would probably push them over the top and qualify them as a bona fide super bowl team (again up to week 4).  One of these has not appeared since the Patriots a few seasons ago.

People are really really sleeping on these Chargers.  The Chargers have one of the best GM in the NFL in AJ Preller, and now he's FINALLY got a excellent coaching staff.  Preller hits on the first round pick almost every year and that loads this team with excellence up and down the starting 22.  Paired with several defensive stars and a franchise QB, the sky is the limit here.  I didn't think the coaching staff would be THIS good but oh boy.  The stars have aligned such that this could be your team of the decade.  It damn well could be. I can't predict they will be that good, but the door is WIDE OPEN. 

This is the most exciting time to be a Charger fan ever.

• Haha 1

As long as Keenan Allen helps me snatch victory from the jaws of defeat this week I'll call them anything you want.  :thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

My formula for predicting a super bowl champion has never failed BUT a team that meets the criteria has not appeared for a few years now.

**cough** Bullshit **cough**

Announcing your winner after the game is over doesn't count...

• Thanks 2

Or they can be in 3rd place in their division and 2 games back after week 4

38 minutes ago, nospk said:

Or they can be in 3rd place in their division and 2 games back after week 4

that can be that and a super bowl team.  the 2010 packers finished the season 10-6 and a wild card, but also graded out as an elite defense with a franchise QB and were super bowl locks in my system.  locks to win it all.

6 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

that can be that and a super bowl team.  the 2010 packers finished the season 10-6 and a wild card, but also graded out as an elite defense with a franchise QB and were super bowl locks in my system.  locks to win it all.

Well then that proved it! Please define “elite”

11 minutes ago, nospk said:

Well then that proved it! Please define “elite”

"Make the opposing offense inefficient"

One of the best expressions of this is to WIN FIELD POSITION.  Pin your opponent deep on every drive.  Make them march a long field.  Super Bowl defenses do THAT specifically.  Football is mostly a game of field position.  Proper game-management is to make sure you win field position more than anything else.  It is absolutely critical.  Winning field position is a massive part of playing great defense.

The Chargers did a poor job of pinning the Redskins deep in week 1.  Since then, they've done a phenomenal job of it.  The Cowboys were pinned deep on all but one drive.  Many times behind the 25 yard line (the placement for touchbacks).  They did it again vs the Chiefs.  They do NOT have an elite defense YET, because they did a poor job of that in week 1.  But if they do it again tonite, they will.

Everything in California is focked up.  These idiot fock ups spend $5 billion on a stadium with a roof and still have a weather delay.  :wacko: :doh:

Also love that there are more Raider fans than Charger fans at the game.  :lol:

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

Everything in California is focked up.  These idiot fock ups spend $5 billion on a stadium with a roof and still have a weather delay.  :wacko: :doh:

Also love that there are more Raider fans than Charger fans at the game.  :lol:

My same two pregame thoughts.  :thumbsup: 

7 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

My same two pregame thoughts.  :thumbsup: 

Great minds my brother!!!

Defense is looking great

also fock LA. I’m a chargers fan and none of my friends will ever spend a dime on the LA chargers. I watch the games cause of the players but will never goto a game or buy a thing

• Thanks 1

They are a good team and certainly in the conversation for afc, but ….

Charger fans

Looking good tonight. Raiders offense cant do anything.

On offense, man what a pick Herbert was. He got a lot of hate pre-draft.

4 hours ago, DonS said:

As long as Keenan Allen helps me snatch victory from the jaws of defeat this week I'll call them anything you want.  :thumbsup:

..you said snatch...hehe..hehe...

8 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Looking good tonight. Raiders offense cant do anything.

On offense, man what a pick Herbert was. He got a lot of hate pre-draft.

Hopefully the wind doesn't blow or the moon gets too bright and they have to cancel the game because of weather.

30 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Defense is looking great

also fock LA. I’m a chargers fan and none of my friends will ever spend a dime on the LA chargers. I watch the games cause of the players but will never goto a game or buy a thing

Whats funny is the rams werent born in LA.  the lakers eerent born in LA.  The dodgers werent born in LA.  But the chargers were born in LA. 

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

Whats funny is the rams werent born in LA.  the lakers eerent born in LA.  The dodgers werent born in LA.  But the chargers were born in LA. 

I was born in East LA. 

15 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

What's even more funny is the chargers are the only ones without a championship in the modern era.  

8 minutes ago, Bert said:

What's even more funny is the chargers are the only ones without a championship in the modern era.  

So were the patriots once upon a time until they drafted a legend at QB and got good coaching. 

6 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

So were the patriots once upon a time until they drafted a legend at QB and got good coaching. 

WTF? The Patriots were born in New England.  The point is nothing born in LA has won a major sports Championship.  I doubt the chargers get it done.  

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

WTF? The Patriots were born in New England.  The point is nothing born in LA has won a major sports Championship.  I doubt the chargers get it done.  

The patriots won nothing until they won 6 in a flurry

25 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

to reiterate

fock everything LA

7 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

The patriots won nothing until they won 6 in a flurry

You started out with things that are funny and listed some stuff, none of which included the patriots winning championships.  Why are you changing subjects about what is funny?

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Better not crown their asses just yet...

Much more likely they waste Herbert's career like the did Rivers and Fouts.

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

..you said snatch...hehe..hehe...

He's getting me as many points as a big gaping snatch tonight. No offense meant to your mom.  :cheers:

After running the numbers, this performance did not put the defense over the top as super bowl elite.  A big problem was the fake punt on 4th down in the first half.  That flipped field position around and turned what should have been a laugher into almost a close game.  The huge bomb by Carr for a massive PI call also hurt their defensive numbers by a lot.

6 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

After running the numbers, this performance did not put the defense over the top as super bowl elite.  A big problem was the fake punt on 4th down in the first half.  That flipped field position around and turned what should have been a laugher into almost a close game.  The huge bomb by Carr for a massive PI call also hurt their defensive numbers by a lot.

Well I can’t undo my bet now. :mad:

16 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

My formula for predicting a super bowl champion has never failed BUT a team that meets the criteria has not appeared for a few years now.  There are 2 components to the formula.

1.  An elite defense (as defined by my criteria)
2. A franchise QB.

So there wasn't an elite defensive team in the Super Bowl last year with a franchise QB?  

• Thanks 2

Why were people booing them when they ran out? I did not understand that.

5 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Why were people booing them when they ran out? I did not understand that.

There were probably more Raiders fans there than Chargers fans.  Listening on the radio, you'd have thought the Raiders were the home team.

Good time to be a Bolts fan. For those not 20 years old, many of us were huge Dan Fouts fans if not Chargers fans to some degree back in the day. 

But how bout they win a division 1st before we go annointing them the kids of the decade. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, frank said:

I was born in East LA. 

Cheech?

12 hours ago, Bert said:

The point is nothing born in LA has won a major sports Championship. 

LA Kings have won two Stanley Cups...

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

So there wasn't an elite defensive team in the Super Bowl last year with a franchise QB?  

No.  There was one elite defense in the NFL last year. The Dolphins.  But they had absolutely no QB whatsoever so it was wasted. And they still wound up going 11-5.

46 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Good time to be a Bolts fan. For those not 20 years old, many of us were huge Dan Fouts fans if not Chargers fans to some degree back in the day. 

But how bout they win a division 1st before we go annointing them the kids of the decade. 

I'm not anointing them that.  I'm saying things are actually set up to accomplish that.  The window is there.

WTF “numbers” are you “running” lol

16 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Waller > Derwin

Not only did Derwin seal the game with the pick, but he also made a spectacular play earlier where he came all the way from the other side of the field with his crazy speed and tackled the Raider about to go for a huge gain.  His closing speed is insane.