Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Chargers enter tonite almost a super bowl team - team of the decade?

21 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

What is the difference with AZ this year? They just keep winning. Browns are no joke and they blew them out. I havent watched them so Im curious why they are so improved.

Browns overrated...decimated on defense...Mayfield...not an elite qb

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lol

The difference is I am sort of kidding.  Packers have too many injuries as of now.  Dallas fans are dead serious.  They jump from their team is in shambles and sucks to they are SB contenders 4 different times throughout a season.  Almost evwey season.  It is impreasive really.

I do think the Packers are randomly being written off this year.  They have been in the championship game 3 out of the last 5 years.  4 of the last 7.  Yes fall on their face but they are easily the most consistent team in the NFC as long as Rodgers is upright.  It is good to fly under the radar though.  

Their offense is a shell of what it was last year and it will continue to be until they get Bakh and Myers back. Defense has been holding up without Jaire and Z, but theyve been fortunate to play some bad offenses. Just have to keep grinding out these ugly wins until they get healthy. Rodgers hinted that Bakh will be back at practice this week. Once hes back, I expect the offense to start getting back to normal.

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lol

The difference is I am sort of kidding.  Packers have too many injuries as of now.  Dallas fans are dead serious.  They jump from their team is in shambles and sucks to they are SB contenders 4 different times throughout a season.  Almost evwey season.  It is impreasive really.

I do think the Packers are randomly being written off this year.  They have been in the championship game 3 out of the last 5 years.  4 of the last 7.  Yes fall on their face but they are easily the most consistent team in the NFC as long as Rodgers is upright.  It is good to fly under the radar though.  

Dallas has it's share of dellusional bandwagon fans for sure. Are they any less ridiculous than many GB fans? No. 

This current Dallas team looks good, really good at times..  But they have holes just like GB and several other Division leading teams. They aren't anymore, any less, a SB contender than everyone else playing well at this point. 

There are 32 teams in the NFL.  At the end of week 6, only 13 will be under .500. 

The Chargers have only ONE team left on their schedule with a winning record.  Cincinnati. 

Here is the list of QBs the Chargers will face the rest of the season:

Mac Jones
Jalen Hurts
Kirk Cousins
Ben Roethlisberger
Teddy Bridgewater
Joe Burrow
Daniel Jones
Pat Mahomes
Davis Mills
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr

They could legit win out from here.  If you are gonna bet on the Chargers to win the Super Bowl, the odds won't be lower than this week going forward. As I said before, the Chargers schedule was front-loaded.  And they finished it 4-2.

8 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Dallas has it's share of dellusional bandwagon fans for sure. Are they any less ridiculous than many GB fans? No. 

This current Dallas team looks good, really good at times..  But they have holes just like GB and several other Division leading teams. They aren't anymore, any less, a SB contender than everyone else playing well at this point. 

I am biased but I feel Packers fans are pretty level headed.  I suppose it is easier when you have HOF QBs back to back, to not get too down.  I never expect them to be the best team in the league.  But when they lose 38-3 in week 1 the sky isn't falling either.  

I find Dallas fans can go one end to the other in a matter of a week.  It is sky is falling or they are legit SB contenders.  

More or less busting balls here.  Nice to get an old school shlt talk football thread.  

9 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Their offense is a shell of what it was last year and it will continue to be until they get Bakh and Myers back. Defense has been holding up without Jaire and Z, but theyve been fortunate to play some bad offenses. Just have to keep grinding out these ugly wins until they get healthy. Rodgers hinted that Bakh will be back at practice this week. Once hes back, I expect the offense to start getting back to normal.

I am always ok winning games and not playing all the way up to ability early in the season.  Peaking late is always key.  Playbook isn't even open yet.  Although thr shovel pass to Lazard did get into it because the RZ offense needed it.

Thr injuries are just brutal.  Reminds me of years prior to last.  Last they stayed relatively healthy.  Before last year they were getting decimated each year.  

Bakh injury has been huge.   Jenkins another all pro caliber linemen missed a few weeks.  Myers is now out a few weeks.  I'm not the biggest fan but MVS being out has squeezed the field.  He is the only true deep threat they have.  His absence is felt.   Hes the number 2 WR afterall.  

Then on defense even more brutal.  Zadarious a 12 sack a year guy perhaps out for year just absolutely kills.  Hell Preston Smith may miss time now too.  Rivers the backup edge tore his acl in practice.   Jaire a top 2 CB in football looks to avoid surgery and not be out the year.  King was hurt.  Thats thr 2 starting CBs although Stokes is better than King.  Savage just went down with a concussion.  

I am good with where they are at considering all the plug and play guys they are shuffling through.  Injuries are one thing but the guys going down are some of their best players. 

12 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Relatedly, the reason the western divisions have done better in recent years on the east coast is, wait for it, they have had generally better football teams than the east.

All this back and forth and in the end, you agree with me that the traveling from west to east stigma is exaggerated, because in the end, the better teams are more likely to win regardless of where they're playing.

12 hours ago, DonS said:

Whoah.  Just noticed you added the "Seahawks fan" paragraph to defend your silly argument over CLE is not really on the coast argument.  I'm from Upstate NY.   Long suffering Buffalo Bills fan as many people here probably know.  

Sorry, I must have been thinking of someone else.  My bad.

10 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Its a real thing.  Western time zone teams struggle on the east of the mississippi and vice versa historically.

It's not.  The better teams win regardless of travel, at the same rate, be it east to west, west to east, north to south, etc.

14 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's not.  The better teams win regardless of travel, at the same rate, be it east to west, west to east, north to south, etc.

you are asking a different question.  im not splitting western teams between good and bad.  ive looked at it extensively.  if a west coast team has very few trips across the mississippi, they are a good bet to exceed their win totals and vice versa.  now that doesnt mean you cant find exceptions, but overall there is a clear trend.

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

you are asking a different question.  im not splitting western teams between good and bad.  ive looked at it extensively.  if a west coast team has very few trips across the mississippi, they are a good bet to exceed their win totals and vice versa.  now that doesnt mean you cant find exceptions, but overall there is a clear trend.

If you've looked extensively, you'd have seen that over the last 10 years, the dynamic is extremely different than years past.  Here's a gambling site that even notes it.  From 2003 to 2012, west teams playing at east venues won 32% of their games.  But from 2013 to 2019, they won 52%.  As I said earlier in this thread, last page, every team had winning record last season and this year they're 14-4.  Travel is different and the way teams handle it is different.  West Coast teams do not lose heading east like they did in the past.

Better teams win more often than lesser teams.  Time zone doesn't matter.  Sure, the Chargers were 2-3 (40%), in 2019 when they went east... well, that's better than the rest of the season as they 3-8 (27%).  Yeah, they're more likely to lose going east, it's because they weren't a good team.  In 2018, they were 12-4 right?  How'd they fair going east?  Must be the 4 losses right?  Nope, that year they were 3-0 beating Pittsburgh, Cleveland, & Buffalo.  They even won a playoff game in Baltimore.  In total, they were 4-1 heading east with the only loss being to New England in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Go back further?  In 2017, they were 9-7.  Heading east, they were 2-2.  Seems reasonable to me.  In 2016, they were 5-11 and 1-2 on the east coast.  In 2015, they were 4-12 and 1-2 on the east coast.  In 2014, they were 9-7, and 2-1 on the east coast.  I'm willing to bet that these results are similar across the board.  Something I heard about Seattle was that Russel Wilson was something like 12-1 in 1pm games in his career.

1 hour ago, kutulu said:

The raiders have a winning record

yah, thought so.  a little early to gloss over KC too.  Minny playing better now.  Slow your roll Justin.

6 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

yah, thought so.  a little early to gloss over KC too.  Minny playing better now.  Slow your roll Justin.

that's the incorrect move.  buy low sell high.  this is the chargers low.  if anything, this a GREAT place to bet on the Chargers winning the super bowl.  this is before they tear thru the easy part of the schedule dead ahead.  you dont want to wait until AFTER they beat all the bad teams in front of them. 

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

All this back and forth and in the end, you agree with me that the traveling from west to east stigma is exaggerated, because in the end, the better teams are more likely to win regardless of where they're playing.

That’s not my point at all and it is clear that you don’t understand that a factor is just that, a factor, and not an absolute indicator of wins and losses.  Yes, a better team is more likely to win regardless of the location.  But they can be LESS more likely to win based on other factors.  One example is home field.  If you disagree with that then I give up.  If not, then replace “home field” with “traveling from the west coast to the east coast” and you see my point.  HTH.

• Like 1

Also the bloom is off of that Bills rose a little; they lost to that crappy Titans team that the Cardinals beat handily but didn’t impress @TBayXXXVII at all.  :( 

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sorry, I must have been thinking of someone else.  My bad.

No worries.  I moved out to the PNW 25 years ago so I often comment on the sad decline of Seattle and Portland.   Easy to understand why you thought I was a Seahawks fan. :cheers:

55 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

That’s not my point at all and it is clear that you don’t understand that a factor is just that, a factor, and not an absolute indicator of wins and losses.  Yes, a better team is more likely to win regardless of the location.  But they can be LESS more likely to win based on other factors.  One example is home field.  If you disagree with that then I give up.  If not, then replace “home field” with “traveling from the west coast to the east coast” and you see my point.  HTH.

It's clear who doesn't understand, and it's you.  Both of your points (better teams win & home field advantage), have nothing to do with being specific to west/east travel because those factors are across the board.

HTH

57 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Also the bloom is off of that Bills rose a little; they lost to that crappy Titans team that the Cardinals beat handily but didn’t impress @TBayXXXVII at all.  :( 

Clearly you have an issue with comprehension.  I said the fact that they won IN Tennessee doesn't impress me.  As in, they had to travel east.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Clearly you have an issue with comprehension.  I said the fact that they won IN Tennessee doesn't impress me.  As in, they had to travel east.

It’s not comprehension, it’s memory.  You type a lot of words in these arguments; I went back and read your initial treatise, you are correct.  :thumbsup: 

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's clear who doesn't understand, and it's you.  Both of your points (better teams win & home field advantage), have nothing to do with being specific to west/east travel because those factors are across the board.

HTH

A factor has to be across the board to be a factor?  So, a team in Cali can’t statistically struggle on average when heading to the east coast because… not all teams travel from west to east?  This makes no sense. 

One of us is lost here, and we’ll just have to agree to disagree on who it is.  :cheers: 

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

that's the incorrect move.  buy low sell high.  this is the chargers low.  if anything, this a GREAT place to bet on the Chargers winning the super bowl.  this is before they tear thru the easy part of the schedule dead ahead.  you dont want to wait until AFTER they beat all the bad teams in front of them. 

just on the annointing, reasonable bet.  i do like your team.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

It’s not comprehension, it’s memory.  You type a lot of words in these arguments; I went back and read your initial treatise, you are correct.  :thumbsup: 

:cheers:

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

A factor has to be across the board to be a factor?  So, a team in Cali can’t statistically struggle on average when heading to the east coast because… not all teams travel from west to east?  This makes no sense. 

One of us is lost here, and we’ll just have to agree to disagree on who it is.  :cheers: 

:thumbsup:

16 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I am biased but...

I stopped there.... But I agree, you are. I also agree it's easy to seem reserved when you're riding the coattails of back-to-back HOF qbs.