Sign in to follow this  
JOHN 316

Defense ROS ?

I've been riding Denver since draft day, but someone recently dropped Cleveland last week. In my league they curently have near identical points as Denver (58/57)

The ROS rankings on this site have Cleveland ranked top 5 (I think), while Denver is outside of the top 10.

Depending on who's avalable in the free agent market I've beem known to roster 2 defences and rotate them based on matchups, but are either one of these teams worth rolling with all season long (outside of bye weeks of course) 

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

It depends on which one scores the most TDs.

Brilliant feedback...as per usual .... so what does the Almighty AxeElf see happening ?

Since you are talking about American football, it is "DEFENSE" numb nuts...

Sorry but one is all that’s needed , and then one can stream. 

Hard to predict what is going to happen based on injuries and matchups.  

Just play matchups each week, but even then it’s hard to predict. This weeks great play is next weeks drop. Saints were highest scoring unit and they played Giants who everyone laughed at and scored 3 points. I started Bengals vs the lowly Jags and they got 3 points.

2 hours ago, JOHN 316 said:

Brilliant feedback...as per usual .... so what does the Almighty AxeElf see happening ?

The defense with the most TDs will be one of the best fantasy defenses of the season.

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The defense with the most TDs will be one of the best fantasy defenses of the season.

You can say that about any position. HTH. 

38 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You can say that about any position. HTH. 

Not really.  Austin Ekeler is pretty good, and he scores like 3 TDs a year.

But the main difference is that you can predict TDs with at least ballpark accuracy for most of the skill players.  On defense, it's pretty random.  Sure, you can look for teams that create turnovers and pressure the QB and all, but a couple of random kickoff returns can make a pedestrian defense into a fantasy game-winner.

So you axe me what RB is going to score the most TDs, and I can say with a pretty high level of confidence that it will be Derrick Henry.  Axe me what Defense will score the most TDs, and it's impossible to say with any confidence whatsoever.

So the only accurate answer is the one that is equally imprecise.

7 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Not really.  Austin Ekeler is pretty good, and he scores like 3 TDs a year.

But the main difference is that you can predict TDs with at least ballpark accuracy for most of the skill players.  On defense, it's pretty random.  Sure, you can look for teams that create turnovers and pressure the QB and all, but a couple of random kickoff returns can make a pedestrian defense into a fantasy game-winner.

So you axe me what RB is going to score the most TDs, and I can say with a pretty high level of confidence that it will be Derrick Henry.  Axe me what Defense will score the most TDs, and it's impossible to say with any confidence whatsoever.

So the only accurate answer is the one that is equally imprecise.

I counter the team with the most sacks will be one of the highest scoring defenses. Sacks and pressure cause turnovers which lead to TD’s. No pressure, no turnovers. That’s why pass rushers make so much money. Football 101. And Ekler is an outlier. Don’t base your assertions on an outlier. And quoting you, “one of the highest scoring defenses”. Even you accounted for an outlier with your statement. 

39 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And quoting you, “one of the highest scoring defenses”. Even you accounted for an outlier with your statement. 

Exactly where are you quoting me FROM?  This makes no sense to me, but it might help if I knew what you were taking out of context or misquoting.  Still, my interest level is low enough I could barely bring myself to call you on it--so if you want to make a point, you're going to have to clarify it here.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

“One of” 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

“One of” 

Sounds like you're still looking for precision in a category I've just shown to be imprecise by nature.

12 hours ago, posty said:

Since you are talking about American football, it is "DEFENSE" numb nuts...

So much unnecessary hatred over a simple spelling error when all I did was ask a simple question....Denver or Cleveland ROS....or stream each week.

2 hours ago, JOHN 316 said:

So much unnecessary hatred over a simple spelling error when all I did was ask a simple question....Denver or Cleveland ROS....or stream each week.

I never target defenses.  Just stream.

I've been trying to get rid of team defense in my home league because they're too random.  I'd also like to do away with kickers too. :dunno:

I'd like to replace them with IDP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JOHN 316 said:

And questions like this thread are supposed to go to "A Little Help" board as is mentioned at the very top of the page...  Can't follow the rules/request from Mike, numb nuts fits you IMO...

Team Management Questions (Who Should I Start?) Belong On The "A Little Help" board.

16 hours ago, JOHN 316 said:

I've been riding Denver since draft day, but someone recently dropped Cleveland last week. In my league they curently have near identical points as Denver (58/57)

The ROS rankings on this site have Cleveland ranked top 5 (I think), while Denver is outside of the top 10.

Depending on who's avalable in the free agent market I've beem known to roster 2 defences and rotate them based on matchups, but are either one of these teams worth rolling with all season long (outside of bye weeks of course) 

Usually if you have to ask this, it means you should probably be streaming defenses.

I think both of these defenses will be decent ones to stream.

When evaluating defenses for fantasy purposes, the first thing I tend to consider is the pass rush.

Cleveland has an excellent pass rush with Myles Garrett, Clowney, and others.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I've been trying to get rid of team defense in my home league because they're too random.  I'd also like to do away with kickers too. :dunno:

Yeah, but who has time for IDP if you work for a living and have an actual social life?

I realize, that's blasphemous around here. :lol: 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I run a few leagues, two of them are no Def and no K. The downside to removing kickers and defenses is that you have an advantage at the draft, some people take them too early and you get more players falling to you. 

5 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

I run a few leagues, two of them are no Def and no K. The downside to removing kickers and defenses is that you have an advantage at the draft, some people take them too early and you get more players falling to you. 

Depends on the scoring system...

6 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

That's why I'd want to replace them with Id's, not just dump them.

Besides, in my leagues, there's probably only one or two kickers and/or defenses taken before round 14 or so, so it's not like it's making a huge impact.

49 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah, but who has time for IDP if you work for a living and have an actual social life?

I realize, that's blasphemous around here. :lol: 

At first it might be, but after people get in the swing of things, I think they'd adapt.

1 hour ago, posty said:

And questions like this thread are supposed to go to "A Little Help" board as is mentioned at the very top of the page...  Can't follow the rules/request from Mike, numb nuts fits you IMO...

Team Management Questions (Who Should I Start?) Belong On The "A Little Help" board.

Stop it, would you? We are talking football here. No need for the vitriol. Not the place. 

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If randomness is the problem, IDPs aren't the solution.  It's still like playing with Kickers, only six of them instead of one.

46 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If randomness is the problem, IDPs aren't the solution.  It's still like playing with Kickers, only six of them instead of one.

You have to do it right or not at all.  You need to start at least 12.  Ideally you have 5 DL, 6 LB, and 4 DB's, but 4 at each level would suffice.