edjr

‘SNL’ season premiere hit lowest rating in show’s history

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/snl-season-premiere-hit-lowest-rating-in-shows-history-3064119

The season 47 premiere of Saturday Night Live, which aired this weekend (October 2), received the lowest rating in the show’s history.

The episode, which was hosted by Owen Wilson and with Kacey Musgraves performing as its musical guest, was the least-watched SNL season premiere episode of all-time.

The audience figures saw a drop of 41% from the previous season’s opening episode, which was hosted by Chris Rock.

They had 6 months to find someone to impersonate Biden and they quite possibly found the worst person ever.

It's also the first episode ever available live on streaming.  How much that impacted ratings is unknown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like Owen Wilson......but watched it and even though many people said it was a good show, it was pretty weak

Just now, Strike said:

It's also the first episode ever available live on streaming.  How much that impacted ratings is unknown.

I watch clips on Youtube

Liberals loved this stuff when it was a constant Trump bash.  Now that the bashing is starting to happen to their own fella, they don't wanna see it.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if many of the late night shows see drops as they start making fun of the POTUS

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

Liberals loved this stuff when it was a constant Trump bash.  Now that the bashing is starting to happen to their own fella, they don't wanna see it.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if many of the late night shows see drops as they start making fun of the POTUS

Gutfeld's show on Fox News is the #1 rated late night show even though he is on cable so not a network late night TV show.   His show has only been on the air like 6 months.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I watch clips on Youtube

Yes. All the late-night Shows suffer from this. It's just a new reality. Especially for people on the East Coast, they can pick and choose the monologue, selected Skits, the musical artists on YouTube the next day. - And then, add in streaming. 

Its time for Nielsen to go away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Gutfeld's show on Fox News is the #1 rated late night show even though he is on cable so not a network late night TV show.   His show has only been on the air like 6 months.

Um.....And?

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Gutfeld is crushing those maggots.

3 hours ago, Strike said:

.   His show has only been on the air like 6 months.

He's been on the air in the late night spot for a lot longer than that. Maybe they changed the name/format after most of his co-hosts were charged with Secks harassment and whatnot, but stil...

7 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

He's been on the air in the late night spot for a lot longer than that. Maybe they changed the name/format after most of his co-hosts were charged with Secks harassment and whatnot, but stil...

He had a weekly show at like midnight on Saturday night.  So what? 

3 hours ago, supermike80 said:

They just used to be more funny across  the board.  I have enjoyed their political parodies for decades... Ford, carter, reagan, bush, clinton, bush, obama

Some of my favorites were darrell hammond's clinton... john goodman as linda tripp. Phil hartman did a great clinton.

writing and cast has not been strong for a while. baldwin has been funny regardless of sketch (schweddy balls, always be cobblin, canteen boy, etc)

Any funny skit will be popular on YouTube and then shared on one of the forums I visit. 

No reason to watch their 10 unfunny skits just to get the good one anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Any funny skit will be popular on YouTube and then shared on one of the forums I visit. 

No reason to watch their 10 unfunny skits just to get the good one anymore.

Yeah, that's about it.  

You'd think they could come up with more funny given the army of writers they have: 

Head Writers
• Michael Che
• Colin Jost
• Kent Sublette
• Anna Drezen

Senior Writer
• Bryan Tucker

Supervising Writers
• Fran Gillepsie
• Sudi Green
• Streeter Seidell

Writers
• Dan Bulla
• Steven Castillo
• Emma Clark
• Alison Gates
• Steve Higgins
• Sam Jay
• Erik Kenward
• Dan Licata
• Lorne Michaels
• Jasmine Pierce
• Gary Richardson
• Will Stephen
• Celeste Yim

Weekend Update Head Writer
• Pete Schultz

Weekend Update Writers
• Megan Callahan-Shah
• Dennis McNicholas
• Josh Patten
• Mark Steinbach

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

They just used to be more funny across  the board.  I have enjoyed their political parodies for decades... Ford, carter, reagan, bush, clinton, bush, obama

Some of my favorites were darrell hammond's clinton... john goodman as linda tripp. Phil hartman did a great clinton.

writing and cast has not been strong for a while. baldwin has been funny regardless of sketch (schweddy balls, always be cobblin, canteen boy, etc)

I caught the SNL S2E1 from the Carter Ford debate days.  They poked fun of both equally.  It was funny and there was no way either side would come away feeling like it was biased.  Lilly Tomlin was even really funny. 

I was at my parents during the Emmy's this year and my sister turned it on for like 5 minutes.  They gave Lorin Michaels some award for best comedy show.  He was like "We worked so hard during the Covid to do 6 shows on the election and our exhaustion turned to exuberation when the results were out."  Exhausted after 6 shows?  And talk about so obviously biased.  I was shocked and very happy that my sister said "That is enough of this crap" and turned it off since she has never commented one way or another on politics. 

I could not watch that show now if you paid me. 

5 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

I caught the SNL S2E1 from the Carter Ford debate days.  They poked fun of both equally.  It was funny and there was no way either side would come away feeling like it was biased.  Lilly Tomlin was even really funny. 

I was at my parents during the Emmy's this year and my sister turned it on for like 5 minutes.  They gave Lorin Michaels some award for best comedy show.  He was like "We worked so hard during the Covid to do 6 shows on the election and our exhaustion turned to exuberation when the results were out."  Exhausted after 6 shows?  And talk about so obviously biased.  I was shocked and very happy that my sister said "That is enough of this crap" and turned it off since she has never commented one way or another on politics. 

I could not watch that show now if you paid me. 

I started watching in the 70’s with my parents. Mrs and I haven’t been able to watch full episodes for years. We stop for a while. Every so often we would try to give it a chance and we would either fall asleep or turn the channel.  For us it’s poor quality vs political bias.

3 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

??? Someone talked about late shows going after Biden. Guttfeld’s show does. 

The fock are you talking about?

I said liberals dumb Azz.  And as he said it isn't a late night talk show.

Dumb 

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

Spot on with Goodman as Linda Tripp.  I totally forgot about that 

13 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

The fock are you talking about?

I said liberals dumb Azz.  And as he said it isn't a late night talk show.

Dumb 

Who said this?  I certainly didn't.

14 minutes ago, Strike said:

Who said this?  I certainly didn't.

Ok.  Wasn't me either.  Thats 2 down

4 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I started watching in the 70’s with my parents. Mrs and I haven’t been able to watch full episodes for years. We stop for a while. Every so often we would try to give it a chance and we would either fall asleep or turn the channel.  For us it’s poor quality vs political bias.

Yea I could not even get through the episodes back then.  I remember when it started I was like 10 and did not get it but watched it a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill E. said:

Yea I could not even get through the episodes back then.  I remember when it started I was like 10 and did not get it but watched it a lot.

I liked the bees and samari bits.  As I got older I started to understand  more

23 hours ago, supermike80 said:

I get the dislike for Trump from the left. What I dont get is the lack of absolute disdain for this vegetable we have as a president now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I get the dislike for Trump from the left. What I dont get is the lack of absolute disdain for this vegetable we have as a president now.

No need to give vegetables a bad name now.

When they were truly funny during the Clinton years, they needed less political stuff. Still they lampooned Clinton. Now we have no funny anywhere.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:51 AM, TimmySmith said:

When they were truly funny during the Clinton years, they needed less political stuff. Still they lampooned Clinton. Now we have no funny anywhere.

A few years ago my girlfriend and I were going to Chicago for some hang out time  and she mentioned she had never been to Second City. I had been before but it had been quite a while. So we got a couple tickets and went. I'm not a big fan of improv in the first place but this show was awful. It was so anti Trump anti conservative it wasn't even funny. There was no lighthearted poking fun at him, it was involving serious issues and insulting conservative points of view. Not just making fun of his mannerisms and such. 

Liberals suck.

• Sad 1