wiffleball

Wtf is Detroit pizza?

15 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have never heard of Jets, the closest one is about a 30 minute drive. Are they worth that?

Probably not----if you are 30 minutes down the road sometime, stop in and get a 4 corner pizza for lunch or something, but I don't think it's that great for a 1 hour round trip.  

If you make it to Grand Rapids, let me know, cause there is a little brewery in town that makes incredible pizzas, in old brick fired ovens.  Those are definitely worth a trip.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 8:43 AM, wiffleball said:

Well yeah, I imagine Jesus is still carrying a grudge against the Romans.

Pilate and Herod Antipas deferred to the chief priests.  Something, something, Kansas City (chiefs priest holmes) barbecue-style pizza.

26 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have never heard of Jets, the closest one is about a 30 minute drive. Are they worth that?

Jets is pretty good. I wouldn't drive 30 minutes out of my way to get it, but if you got some time why the hell not?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Its worth it to try it imo. Its only 30 minutes.

In Buffalo area we have normal people pizza.  It is triangle.  It isnt paper thin.  It isnt 3 inches of dough.  You don't eat it with a fork.  It is medium thickness.  Saucy.  And has spicy pepperoni.  

Give me thin crust over the casseroles however.

My three favorite pizzas were a meatball in Ventura, Calif., a Chicago deep dish in Chicago and a slice in NYC. Detroit pizza sounds like one of those elementary-school cafeteria ones, only with smelt and cheap beer with Yooper booger-eating morons eating next to you 

8 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

My three favorite pizzas were a meatball in Ventura, Calif., a Chicago deep dish in Chicago and a slice in NYC. Detroit pizza sounds like one of those elementary-school cafeteria ones, only with smelt and cheap beer with Yooper booger-eating morons eating next to you 

Yes you nailed it. Go suck on a meatball

a giant pizza crust and dough with nothing on it

You can't get good pizza outside of the NYC area.  I've tried, it's impossible.  You can get combinations of the ingredients that are edible, sometimes even taste good, but it's not really pizza.

13 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

You can't get good pizza outside of the NYC area.  I've tried, it's impossible.  You can get combinations of the ingredients that are edible, sometimes even taste good, but it's not really pizza.

This is wildly inaccurate. 

Just last night I got pizza from here.  https://www.zmenu.com/sebastians-pizza-gloucester-online-menu/

It's so good they don't have their own website

I don't understand people who put tomatoes on their pizza. That's like putting basil leaves on your pesto-pasta. 

We've got a place that serves (in house only) 28 inch pizzas. I mean, that's pretty much a guy's waistline for pete's sake. 

And usually, it's  a couple on a date.   I mean, literally, one slice and I'm done for the next 20 hours.

So someone changes around the order of the ingredients (sauce on top) and voila.... "Big News Folks!!!! Detroit Pizza!!!"

?

18 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

So someone changes around the order of the ingredients (sauce on top) and voila.... "Big News Folks!!!! Detroit Pizza!!!"

?

That's been Taco Bells bidness plan for 40 years. The same half-dozen ingredients just assembled in different ways and different orders.

33 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

?

No there's more to it. For example, Chicago deep-dish crust is more like a pie where Detroit is more like bread. The square steel pan also gives the crust an amazing crisp. The sauce on top also keeps the bread crisper although Buddies pizza can be a little moister.

17 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

No there's more to it. For example, Chicago deep-dish crust is more like a pie where Detroit is more like bread. The square steel pan also gives the crust an amazing crisp. The sauce on top also keeps the bread crisper although Buddies pizza can be a little moister.

Sauce makes bread crisp.  

Huh. Yeah, that happens. 

Do the  Detroit ovens make the pizza colder too?

On 10/8/2021 at 7:38 PM, wiffleball said:

Great. I'm going to start making pizza in a bundt pan call it my own.

What is your pizza chain gonna be called

Puckered Starfish pizza?

I was in Detroit two days on business. I had the local news on while I was getting dressed in the morning. Some mom and pop pizza place had one of their two delivery men killed while he was making his delivery. The 'bangers broke in a house in a nice neighborhood and offed the delivery guy when he showed. Got his change and a pizza. 

The next morning I am getting ready, listening to the news and the same pizza place got their remaining driver killed the same way, the very next day. Just unreal. 

4 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

I was in Detroit two days on business. I had the local news on while I was getting dressed in the morning. Some mom and pop pizza place had one of their two delivery men killed while he was making his delivery. The 'bangers broke in a house in a nice neighborhood and offed the delivery guy when he showed. Got his change and a pizza. 

The next morning I am getting ready, listening to the news and the same pizza place got their remaining driver killed the same way, the very next day. Just unreal. 

Any idea what year that happened? Maybe a link cause I can’t find anything. A Domino’s driver got shot and killed in August 2018

11 hours ago, nospk said:

Any idea what year that happened? Maybe a link cause I can’t find anything. A Domino’s driver got shot and killed in August 2018

Isn't it every other weekend?

On 10/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, nospk said:

Probably 2002. It was not a chain store. They had two drivers, and they were both killed on two consecutive days. Kind of a "welcome to Detroit" moment for me.  

I've been to Buddy's Pizza in Dearborn a few times. I rather liked it now that I remember the place. Would stop in after work, order a pizza, go have a beer or two in their bar, then take the pizza back to the hotel and drink some more. Oh those were the times. 

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I've been to Buddy's Pizza in Dearborn a few times. I rather liked it now that I remember the place. Would stop in after work, order a pizza, go have a beer or two in their bar, then take the pizza back to the hotel and drink some more. Oh those were the times. 

I notice there are no friends or coworkers in this story. Just you drinking alone in a hotel room with a pizza.

:( 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

I notice there are no friends or coworkers in this story. Just you drinking alone in a hotel room with a pizza.

:( 

Yeah, my company pays for company traveling coworkers to get there own hotel rooms in whatever hotels they want. 

Where as your broke ass has to share a barn with your extended financially broke family.  :lol:

16 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Buddy’s pizza is what Detroit pizza exactly is. Not fockin pizza slut

Just now, nospk said:

Yeah, I'm orginally from the Chicago area so I have my favorites growing up there. 

When working in Detroit was the first time I ever even heard of it. I liked it better actually than anything you could possibly find on the east coast or in the south. Never ate pizza out west. Specifically in New York and surrounding area I would rather eat Domino's. 

33 minutes ago, nospk said:

Unpopular opinion, but I think Buddys is just okay.

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

Unpopular opinion, but I think Buddys is just okay.

Ok whatever 

Pizza bashing snobs you gotta be kidding me

10 minutes ago, nospk said:

Ok whatever 

Every Detroiter has their favorite.