wiffleball

Have you gotten shingles VAX?

I knew a colleague who got shingles and he was just miserable. Like shoot himself in the head kind of miserable.

Always meant to get one. Hell, i spend half my week in hospitals and doctors offices.

Based upon what that guy went through? I really want to. But most doctors offices don't seem to offer it and they told me to go to Walgreens.  But Those effers can't ring up a razor without calling in a manager for backup. Seriously, I could be the only guy in that fulking store and buy one item and it'll still take me 20 minutes to get out of there.

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I knew a colleague who got shingles and he was just miserable. Like shoot himself in the head kind of miserable.

Always meant to get one. Hell, i spend half my week in hospitals and doctors offices.

Based upon what that guy went through? I really want to. But most doctors offices don't seem to offer it and they told me to go to Walgreens.  But Those effers can't ring up a razor without calling in a manager for backup. Seriously, I could be the only guy in that fulking store and buy one item and it'll still take me 20 minutes to get out of there.

Yep, I got earlier this year at Walgreens.  :thumbsup:

Shingles isn't something to mess around with, for sure.

Never got the shot, but got shingles in 2016. Was totally stressed out at the time. Live across from a church, & as it grew, the parking became a total nightmare.

My neighbor had contacted the city several times as the problem got progressively worse, but they just blew her off. Eventually, we had had enough and demanded something to be done. 

We started working with the city to make our side of the street permit parking only. They made it very difficult.

As far as the severity, I was lucky. Just had some lesions above my right eye & on my forehead. Went to the doctor immediately, & after about a week, everything was fine.

Once the 3 'permit parking only' signs were put up, the pastor & I agreed that we'd give people one month to get used to it.

After that month passed, I started writing out tickets. He contacted me and asked me to just give people a warning. 

I said no, warnings don't change peoples behavior. $25.00 fines do.

It worked. I think I only wrote out 2 or 3 tickets in 2020 & none so far this year.

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Yep, I got earlier this year at Walgreens.  :thumbsup:

Shingles isn't something to mess around with, for sure.

What was the physical affect on you after you got it? Did you get sick at all?

The only guy I've ever known to get shingles was a coworker who also had AIDS. That dude was in bad shape at the end of his life.  

But I have heard other horrifying shingles stories from people.

30 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

What was the physical affect on you after you got it? Did you get sick at all?

The only guy I've ever known to get shingles was a coworker who also had AIDS. That dude was in bad shape at the end of his life.  

But I have heard other horrifying shingles stories from people.

I've never had shingles myself, but I know someone who has.  The after effect for me was just a sore shoulder around the shot injection spot for a day.  

Other than that, no other side effects.

6 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I've never had shingles myself, but I know someone who has.  The after effect for me was just a sore shoulder around the shot injection spot for a day.  

Other than that, no other side effects.

Good to know. 

I just looked this up. I had the chickenpox when I was a kid. I may go get this vaccine for myself. 

In fact, to get shingles, you must have the chickenpox virus inside your body. Anyone who has had chickenpox has this virus. After you recover from chickenpox, the virus moves to nerves inside your body, where it goes to sleep. You will always have the virus inside your body. If the virus wakes up, you get shingles.

Many people mistakenly believe that they cannot get shingles because they don’t remember having chickenpox. If you were born in the United States before 1980, you likely had chickenpox.

More than 99% of people born in the United States before 1980 have had it, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).3 Many people simply don’t remember having chickenpox. They may have been too young to remember or had a very mild case.

Yes.  There are two vaccines.  Make sure you're getting the newer, two shot regimen. 

15 minutes ago, Strike said:

Yes.  There are two vaccines.  Make sure you're getting the newer, two shot regimen. 

Yep, forgot to mention that.  That's what I got.  one shot - then another one two months later, I think it was.

I had shingles back in early June. It was mild, just a few slightly itchy, sensitive blotches on the left side of my stomach and back. I was like "This is shingles?....ppfffftt"

That said, I probably get the vaccine at some point.

1 hour ago, Thornton Melon said:

I had shingles back in early June. It was mild, just a few slightly itchy, sensitive blotches on the left side of my stomach and back. I was like "This is shingles?....ppfffftt"

That said, I probably get the vaccine at some point.

I had heard of Shingles but never had it.  Then my mother got gravely ill and I had to go take care of her for a couple of months before she passed.  About a week and a half in I noticed this nasty rash and after it didn't go away for a couple of days I had it diagnosed and it was shingles.  I have no doubt the stress of the situation caused the shingles to come out.  So, getting shingles wasn't that big of a deal but the timing was horrible.  My mother already had a compromised immune system.  Under normal circumstances I probably would have gone and stayed in a hotel because shingles is extremely contagious.  But my whole point of being there was helping her do things she couldn't do for herself anymore so I couldn't do that.  I decided right then and there to get vaccinated so as not to end up in a similar situation in the future. 

I take Flintstone vitamins so I'm good.

I've thought about it. It doesn't prevent you from getting shingles but it is supposed to lessen the severity of any symptoms should you get it. 

7 hours ago, 5-Points said:

I've thought about it. It doesn't prevent you from getting shingles but it is supposed to lessen the severity of any symptoms should you get it. 

Have you thought about getting the covid vaccine for the same reason?

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Two different vaccines. They are not one in the same.

18 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Nope. I've had Covid. I haven't had Shingles. And the fact that it doesn't prevent me from getting shingles has me leaning towards not getting it. 

23 hours ago, Strike said:

I had heard of Shingles but never had it.  Then my mother got gravely ill and I had to go take care of her for a couple of months before she passed.  About a week and a half in I noticed this nasty rash and after it didn't go away for a couple of days I had it diagnosed and it was shingles.  I have no doubt the stress of the situation caused the shingles to come out.  So, getting shingles wasn't that big of a deal but the timing was horrible.  My mother already had a compromised immune system.  Under normal circumstances I probably would have gone and stayed in a hotel because shingles is extremely contagious.  But my whole point of being there was helping her do things she couldn't do for herself anymore so I couldn't do that.  I decided right then and there to get vaccinated so as not to end up in a similar situation in the future. 

:thumbsup: You were a good son for taking care of your mother in her final days. But, if your mother had chickenpox as a child, which 99% of her generation did, you could not have given her shingles, no matter how compromised her immune system was. Shingles is contagious, but only if the other person has never had chickenpox, and hasn't been vaccinated against either chickenpox or shingles.

In the style of Rodney Dangerfield ( above me ) I wrote this dumb joke many years ago.....

My Doctor diagnosed me with Shingles....

then wrote me a prescription for roofing nails

The Shingles vax has/is:

* approved by the FDA

* recommended by many medial experts

* proven to not be 100% absolute affective against Shingles

Based on the medical experts here, these are reasons alone to not take the vax. 

You know what a bundle of shingles and a fat chick have in common?

They both have a 90% chance of being nailed by a mexican

Coworker got shingles bad. All over his face and scalp - said it was the worst pain he ever had. This was middle of COVID. and his doctor said he couldn’t get COVID vaccine until shingles was completely out of his system AND he advised shingles vaccine before COVID vaccine. 
Second and Third opinion he got COVID shot - otherwise would of lost job. That was only last week. 

On 10/9/2021 at 9:32 AM, wiffleball said:

I had shingles. You don't want it. Get the Vax. My 2 cents. 

I had shingles about 10 years ago, luckily my outbreak was not heavy. Some simple pains, a bloom on my back the size of a fist etc....I have heard some stories about how bad it can get and I consider myself lucky. They say you cannot get it twice, but a friend of mine did have it twice so the vaccine seems like a good idea.

On 10/9/2021 at 10:32 AM, wiffleball said:

did you get the singles vax?

40 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I had shingles about 10 years ago, luckily my outbreak was not heavy. Some simple pains, a bloom on my back the size of a fist etc....I have heard some stories about how bad it can get and I consider myself lucky. They say you cannot get it twice, but a friend of mine did have it twice so the vaccine seems like a good idea.

From my understanding, you can get shingles an unlimited amount of times. I personally know someone who's had it 3 times. 

On 10/10/2021 at 8:40 AM, 5-Points said:

Wait a minute... I've heard this one before.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:40 AM, 5-Points said:

:first: