ford or chevy?

ford or chevy?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. ford or chevy?

• ford
    • chevy
    • meh

ford or chevy?

Growing up I liked Mustangs more than Camaros, and my first car after graduation was a Mustang.  I then married into a family where my FIL worked for Ford and BIL worked for GM, so I got family discounts on both.  Over time I got a GM and two more Fords, and I still prefer the Fords.  I would consider a Caddy, but more likely my next car will be a Ford.  Which I need to decide in about a month when my current Lexus lease is up.  🤔

I don't have an affiliation to a vehicle. I always think the signs in back windows a guy pissing on a another brand, is...well...odd. Why do folks "attach" themselves to vehicles so tightly?

We don't see it with phone carriers. You don't see someone with Verizon fighting over whose carrier is better with someone who has T-Mobile. Or the guy with Under Armour shoes razzing the guy with Nike.

Its funny how people treat vehicles like NFL football teams. "Your team sucks!" > Oh yeah? "Yeah...they've never even won a super bowl!" >oh yeah...well your team might have won a super bowl, but that was 20+ years ago! Way to live in the past!" etc etc

I know its gone on forever...and will continue to, I just don't understand the staunch backing of a vehicle--it's not like you (we) built them. It's just an item we bought.

Pringles? Pfft.  You're such a dumbass.  Doritos make Pringles look like cardboard!

What is it it with "trucks" and "MY" brand is better than "YOUR" brand?

10 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

I don't have an affiliation to a vehicle. I always think the signs in back windows a guy pissing on a another brand, is...well...odd. Why do folks "attach" themselves to vehicles so tightly?

We don't see it with phone carriers. You don't see someone with Verizon fighting over whose carrier is better with someone who has T-Mobile. Or the guy with Under Armour shoes razzing the guy with Nike.

Its funny how people treat vehicles like NFL football teams. "Your team sucks!" > Oh yeah? "Yeah...they've never even won a super bowl!" >oh yeah...well your team might have won a super bowl, but that was 20+ years ago! Way to live in the past!" etc etc

I know its gone on forever...and will continue to, I just don't understand the staunch backing of a vehicle--it's not like you (we) built them. It's just an item we bought.

Pringles? Pfft.  You're such a dumbass.  Doritos make Pringles look like cardboard!

What is it it with "trucks" and "MY" brand is better than "YOUR" brand?

To some people they are like NFL teams, in fact you might have heard of some sports where people compete to see who can drive their cars the fastest.

Also I think it hankers back to a time when cars were simpler and people actually worked on their own cars -- they got to know the engines, transmissions, electrical systems, etc., and weren't about to learn a whole 'nother make.

I mentioned a preference for Mustangs over Camaros, another part of my history:  my dad owned a Ford TBird when I was born.  I don't really remember it but I heard he loved it.  After my younger brother was born he sold it and got... and Oldsmobile station wagon with faux wood paneling, as a family car.  Then we got a second car:  a Chevy Vega, possibly on the Mount Rushmore of crappy cars.  Bad Chevys were my car experience through my formative years.  :dunno:

I've had both-other than I've ended up with more Chevy products over my life, can't say I prefer one over the other.  Never had a lemon from either company, maybe I'm lucky.

Im not loyal to a brand although I certainly avoid certain brands and models.  They change a lot when they get around to redesigning every 5 to 7 years.  For instance, Ram trucks for a period of time were real bad and had no resale value.  Now for the last 3 or 4 years whenever the redesign happened they are winning best truck awards and owners rave about them. 

I have a 15 Silverado.  I think it handles really well.  But when I go to get another truck in a year or so I have no loyalty and what I am choosing from is different than what was out there before.  A Ram truck is now in consideration where as before it wasn't.

My mechanic highly recommends Toyota's.  

He is not just a mechanic, but he's also an engineer.

HTH

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HTH said:

HTH

For sure.  They last the longest and have the greatest resale value.  Common knowledge.  

As far as full sized trucks all the top brands have good reliability and will last with decent upkeep.  F150 Silverado Tundra all routinely see 300k miles if talen care of.  We will see with the new RAMs, last generation RAMs did not last and were not reliable.

• Like 1

Just switched to a Ford as my newest fleet car and the user interface blows

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

To some people they are like NFL teams, in fact you might have heard of some sports where people compete to see who can drive their cars the fastest.

There are sports where shoes are attached to parts of bodies where people see who is fastest too and events like cooking contests use ingredients from different companies. You don't see folks fighting about shoes or flour. 

Its still just odd -- the bickering about trucks - you see it more with trucks than you do cars - is still funny/odd to me. 

Owned four Ford Explorers and an expedition. Bought my last Explorer in 2014. Paid $30 grand for it. Got $15 grand for it a few months ago at CarMax. They hold value better than most. 

I drove a Chevy Silverado for years. Now I drive a Ford F150, which I like much better.

2 hours ago, HTH said:

HTH

:thumbsup: Tacoma driver for life.

Buy exactly what you want brand new. Modify it exactly how you want. Drive it for 20 year's. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HTH said:

HTH

Maybe for anything but trucks.

Ford and Chevy are the best for trucks; Toyotas all the way for sedans and S.U.V.s.

4 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Maybe for anything but trucks.

Ford and Chevy are the best for trucks; Toyotas all the way for sedans and S.U.V.s.

Not according to my mechanic.  He recommends Tundra's as the top truck available.

32 minutes ago, HTH said:

Not according to my mechanic.  He recommends Tundra's as the top truck available.

Why is it at your mechanic 

1 hour ago, nospk said:

Why is it at your mechanic 

Mechanic: Yeah, get a Tundra.

HTH: Why?

Mechanic: So I can make a lot of money fixing it. I don't make shat off Ford and Chevy.

26 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Mechanic: So I can make a lot of money fixing it. I don't make shat off Ford and Chevy.

This is laughably false. 

I've owned a 2003 4 runner, 2001 Tacoma TRD , 2003 Tundra TRD and a 2005 Camry. I put a radiator in the 4 runner at 250,000 miles. I put motor mounts in the Camry at 235,000 miles. Those 2 I gave to the kids. If the new 4 runners weren't 800 billion dollars now I would have purchased another instead of the Subaru Outback 3.6R I purchased. Toyota is KING 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

I’d rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford.  

I'd rather you do that, too, buttercup.

Great choice of acronyms Toyota Racing Development - TuRD

1 hour ago, nospk said:

Great choice of acronyms Toyota Racing Development - TuRD

I was waiting for the acronyms to start. 

Pontiac

14 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

dumb

There's a dealership near me. Half the lot is ford, the other half toyota. Pretty big place. I'm assuming everyone is the same across the board. Pay, hours, benefits, exc.

A few year's back, the Toyota mechanics went on strike. They claimed they were just getting a normal hour workweek. All they were doing was simple maintenance and oil changes.

But right next door. The Ford mechanics were making bank with all the big jobs they were doing, and all the overtime they were putting in.

Don't know the outcome, or even how true it is. But an interesting story none the less.

I was just on the road for about 90 minutes and kept my eye out for trucks to see what seemed the most popular, the results of my official statistically significant analysis:  By far the most trucks I saw were Chevy’s, second was Rams, third was Tundra.  Not many Fords to speak of.  No Nissans or Hondas.  The majority of my time was in Scottsdale though, and the trucks were mostly older and beat up, so my guess is that the drivers were landscapers and other maintenance people working for the Scottsdale shi shi foo foo folks.  :dunno: 

I did this today too. Long Island Expressway. Ford trucks ruled the road. 

When I did this 2 years ago for crossovers Rogues were more prominent to the CRV. Bought the wife a Rogue. 

Speaking of trucks I had a ‘92 Bronco that’s was totaled by a drunk driver while parked in front of my house. Ironically it was a ‘92 Bronco that took mine out. 
I loved that truck. 

Toyota all the way and still have my 99 one. I like my Monte 2005 for looks and the power. Supercharged but I love the Toyota and will cry when I got to let her go!