Sign in to follow this  
LogicalFantasy

T.Y. Hilton Outlook

I was thinking about picking Hilton up, but then I read that he almost retired when he needed surgery, so I’m not interested, I don’t trust his situation at this time.  

Yeah agree...dicey situation w Pittman still as WR1 with Hilton playing probably WR2.  Dropped TY Hilton but was holding out hope because of this article months ago:

https://www.colts.com/news/ty-hilton-signs-colts-carson-wentz-andrew-luck-reggie-wayne-baltimore-ravens

Count Carson Wentz among the many folks around Indianapolis who wanted to see Hilton return. 

Hilton said he and Wentz have been "constantly texting" recently, and among the messages the new Colts' quarterback sent to the 31-year-old receiver: "I hope we can get you here, man. I want you to stay here. I want to be able to throw passes to you," Hilton relayed. 

And the admiration is mutual: Hilton is excited to work with Wentz, who he said "has some Andrew Luck traits."

"He can get out of the pocket, make the incredible throws," Hilton continued. "He's a special talent, especially when he's standing up in the pocket, delivering throws. To be able to avoid guys and make plays with his legs or with his arms, he's a special talent."

But what Hilton said he's been looking at a lot with Wentz is his ability to extend plays outside the pocket. 

"His skillset is pretty unique and pretty special – his ability to get out of the pocket and make plays with his arms or legs," Hilton said. "It can only up my game. … Because the DBs don't like to cover for that long, so once you break away from them and the quarterback is able to extend the play and you're wide open and it's a big play."

Reggie Wayne played a big part in Hilton's decision to return...

Reggie Wayne played his entire career with the Colts, including the final three years with Hilton. And through Hilton's first foray into unrestricted free agency, he leaned on Wayne every step of the way. 

"Reggie really helped me a lot. I thank God for him," Hilton said. "He's a big bro to me and he was there through it all. He helped me through the process, he helped me through everything all the way up to the last minute. He was calling, texting, calling, calling, just kept calling. He was just constantly there for me and he helped me make the right decision."

"Reggie was just helping me with the pros, the cons, just constantly telling me like what I should do, how I should go about it. Whenever I needed him, he was always there for me no matter what. He helped me break down a lot of situations that led to this. 

"Mr. (Jim) Irsay just texted me and told me, 'We have a great deal for you and we need to get it done. We need you here. We want you to stay here. You have been great to this organization.' We were able to get it done."

As a Pittman and JT owner I'm hoping he simply takes over the Paris Campbell WR2 role and doesn't eat into their stats.

• Like 1

The deciding factor for me dropping Hilton instead of Shenault Jr. was this article.  I think with DJ Chark out for rest of season...Shenault Jr. should not be on Waivers in any league.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/urban-meyer-offers-explanation-for-laviska-shenaults-lack-of-targets-vs-titans

It has taken the current Jacksonville Jaguars' coaching staff and regime little time to find out one of the truths about their roster: get the ball to Laviska Shenault and good things happen. 

Despite this truth, though, the Jaguars and head coach Urban Meyer are discovering that it takes more than just a public commitment to get Shenault the ball. Instead, it takes a concentrated effort to make him a part of the offense, not allowing the team's depth players on offense to see larger shares of the passing game's targets. 

This wasn't the case in Week 5's 37-19 loss to the Tennessee Titans, though, as Shenault saw just three targets (all in the fourth-quarter), compared to Jamal Agnew (eight targets), Dan Arnold (eight targets), and Tavon Austin (five targets). But despite Shenault's lack of complete usage, he still proved to be the Jaguars' top playmaker outside of running back James Robinson.

“What we did was when we lost [DJ] Chark [Jr.], he had to go to play outside as well, but he was point of attack many times. It just didn’t get him the ball," Meyer explained on Monday.

Despite the lack of usage for Shenault, he still finished second on the team in receiving yards on Sunday -- on just one catch. It was a 58-yard catch-and-run that saw Shenault break five tackles and completely flip field position, his second 50-plus yard catch in the last two weeks. 

A few plays later, Shenault beat man coverage for a would-be touchdown, but Trevor Lawrence just missed his athletic and talented wideout. On just two targets, Shenault nearly had the biggest day of any Jaguars' pass-catcher, a reflection of both his talent and of the importance for the Jaguars to get him the ball more consistently.

"That’s something we have to make sure he gets the ball because you saw the one that he had. He’s dynamic and he’s arguably our best playmaker right now," Meyer said on Monday.

There are certainly some aspects of his game that Shenault needs to improve at to see more targets, such as getting better at getting himself open on scramble drills when Lawrence breaks the pocket. But Shenault has the ability to get manufactured touches and turn them into big gains, which makes it a bit hard to believe his first target in Sunday's game came with 12:21 left in the game.

Shenault, of course, will also have to face adjustments following Chark's injury. Shenault spent the first four weeks primarily in the slot only, playing just 31 snaps on the outside, per PFF. In Week 5, though, he played 45 snaps on the outside, lining up in the slot on only seven snaps. This is a dramatically different role and position for Shenault, which could also factor into his slow start on Sunday. 

But the Jaguars will need to help Shenault ease into the transition much easier than they did on Sunday. It was just a week prior, after all, that Meyer said Shenault is a player who he would like to get 10 touches a game, a far cry the single touch he got in Sunday's game.

I think I would keep Shenault.  

• Like 1

I don't know that I would put a lot of stock in TY Hilton now.

If you have a bench spot for him, by all means, go for it, but otherwise, I wouldn't give up anything of much value for him.

He's not been his best for a while now, he's old, even in his prime, he was kind of a one trick pony and streaky.

• Like 1

He's been a WR4 the last couple of years, upside is if Wentz is a better fit with him compared to Rivers. Maybe he can be a WR3 or WR2. 

• Like 1

Now I'm thinking why I dropped TY Hilton for Shenault after TY Hilton goes 4 Targets, 4 Catches for 80 yards.  Still think Shenualt is the one to own but my TY Hilton Outlook thread from a couple of days ago is proving to be better than my Shenault prediction for this weekend but who knows long term.

Hilton did look good Vs the Texans , he’ll be an instant pick up, and might not have this much out put again.  

On 10/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, Phil Simms 11 said:

He's been a WR4 the last couple of years, upside is if Wentz is a better fit with him compared to Rivers. Maybe he can be a WR3 or WR2. 

yeah but look at the quality of the QB throwing him the ball during that timeframe.

with Wentz in, he should be rostered.  the only thing to question is his health.

He’s going to get picked up, I hope, he’s already having another injury issue.  

On 10/15/2021 at 11:57 AM, weepaws said:

I was thinking about picking Hilton up, but then I read that he almost retired when he needed surgery, so I’m not interested, I don’t trust his situation at this time.  

well, I think anytime you have a major injury and you are nearing the age of 30, you have to ask yourself if you still wanna play.  I think thats natural to think in those terms.

you go through the pain of rehab and all the workouts and all the effort and you ask yourself is it worth all of this?

the only difference here is that TY was upfront about it while most athletes dont talk about it.

I’m glad he was,  might have made a mistake and picked him up. He’s already injured.