Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Dune (2021)

Just came out today in theaters and HBO Max. Anyone planning on watching? I’ll have to watch the original first since my wife hasn’t seen it before I can watch the new one 

Love the book.  Miniseries on SyFy awhile back was decent.  Looking forward to watching this one.

FYI. I had heard that this movie doesn't cover all the book?  Not sure at what point it is supposed to stop at though. 

Edit: you can be honest with us, as this is a safe space.  You're going to rewatch the original David Lynch version so you can jerk off to Sting in his space speedo.  It's cool.  No judgement. 

6 minutes ago, DonS said:

Love the book.  Miniseries on SyFy awhile back was decent.  Looking forward to watching this one.

FYI. I had heard that this movie doesn't cover all the book?  Not sure at what point it is supposed to stop at though. 

Edit: you can be honest with us, as this is a safe space.  You're going to rewatch the original David Lynch version so you can jerk off to Sting in his space speedo.  It's cool.  No judgement. 

I read it covers half the book and the next movie is in pre production.

Hated the book. Found it super boring. I'd give it a shot though. I hope it's done right. Some might call it woke but this book was ages ahead of the current time.

39 minutes ago, Strike said:

:thumbsup:

Makes sense as cramming everything into a single movie would need to skip too much and would end up sucking. 

47 minutes ago, Strike said:

I like that better than craning everything into one. If they do it right then it should be a pretty good adaption 

Movie review said you need to see it in Imax

Amazing cinematography.  Story is good...great cast. Guy said it was as beautiful movie as he has ever seen.  

Thumbs down for only being part one.

No imax near me but we do have cinemark XD so its a bit bigger

Could we stop remaking this movie? It seems like they've been making one version or another of this movie for the last 50 years. Stop it. It's too long, boring and nobody but hard core science fiction dorks give a shiit.

19 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Could we stop remaking this movie? It seems like they've been making one version or another of this movie for the last 50 years. Stop it. It's too long, boring and nobody but hard core science fiction dorks give a shiit.

You're spot on.  Gotta make room in the theater for the millionth reboot of Batman and Spiderman. :nono:

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Dont watch...duh...have only been done twice...original and series on syfy with william hurt

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Got through the first hour.  Booooorrrrrring......

That's how I felt about the book it just never caught me.

Movie ended about where I figured it would. Totally didn't discuss why the Spice is so important but probably for the best as that adds a bunch of other deep stuff (Navigators) that ultimately doesn't really matter too much as far as first book is concerned. 

'Thopters were spot on. :thumbsup:

On 10/24/2021 at 12:45 AM, DonS said:

Movie ended about where I figured it would. Totally didn't discuss why the Spice is so important but probably for the best as that adds a bunch of other deep stuff (Navigators) that ultimately doesn't really matter too much as far as first book is concerned. 

'Thopters were spot on. :thumbsup:

In the beginning they said the navigators needed the spice and interstellar travel would be impossible without it.  I read the books in college (1980's) so I do not remember if it covered it more than that there. 

On 10/21/2021 at 8:33 PM, Djgb13 said:

Just came out today in theaters and HBO Max. Anyone planning on watching? I’ll have to watch the original first since my wife hasn’t seen it before I can watch the new one 

I liked the movie and seeing the original 1984 one would just be repetitive.  This covers everything that that one did just a little more in depth.  You can watch this knowing nothing about the book or original movie.

7 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

In the beginning they said the navigators needed the spice and interstellar travel would be impossible without it.  I read the books in college (1980's) so I do not remember if it covered it more than that there. 

I liked the movie and seeing the original 1984 one would just be repetitive.  This covers everything that that one did just a little more in depth.  You can watch this knowing nothing about the book or original movie.

Awesome :thumbsup: I’ve seen the first one but wife hasn’t. She hates older movies so if she can skip it she will 

• Like 1

Watched the first half last night.  Never saw the original so I'm a bit blind here.  Having a little bit of a hard time following who is doing what when etc but it's coming together.  

The visuals are drop dead amazing.  I'm watching it on HBO Max at home so I gotta think in the theatre they are mind blowing.  Definite oscar nom for visual effects....haven't seen something that awesome in a long time.  Looking forward the the second half tonight.

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Watched the first half last night.  Never saw the original so I'm a bit blind here.  Having a little bit of a hard time following who is doing what when etc but it's coming together.  

The visuals are drop dead amazing.  I'm watching it on HBO Max at home so I gotta think in the theatre they are mind blowing.  Definite oscar nom for visual effects....haven't seen something that awesome in a long time.  Looking forward the the second half tonight.

I watched on HBO Max, 5.1 theater system and the dialogue/music mix was wonky.  I bet I missed 10-20% of what was said.  I'll probably watch again with subtitles and adjust the surround sound cause it looked amazing, but I was a little lost at times.

15 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I watched on HBO Max, 5.1 theater system and the dialogue/music mix was wonky.  I bet I missed 10-20% of what was said.  I'll probably watch again with subtitles and adjust the surround sound cause it looked amazing, but I was a little lost at times.

I was going to add I missed some of the dialogue too cause my wife was kinda sleeping and I didn't have the sound up.  Subtitles are a great idea actually.  Might restart with those turned on.  Good call.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:38 PM, wiffleball said:

First rule: Dune no harm. 

Very nice !!  :thumbsup:

On 10/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, supermike80 said:

I was going to add I missed some of the dialogue too cause my wife was kinda sleeping and I didn't have the sound up.  Subtitles are a great idea actually.  Might restart with those turned on.  Good call.

You know you are getting old when you use subtitles for everything. :(

15 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

You know you are getting old when you use subtitles for everything. :(

If it weren't for subtiles I never would've watched Peaky Blinders.  Tried a few times  but couldn't understand what the fook they were saying.  Especially hard to tell when they're referring to a place or person vs some Olde English phrase I couldn't decipher.

Some brilliant person here suggested subtitles and I was finally able to get into it.   BY ORDER OF THE PEAKY FOCKING BLINDERS!  :pointstosky:

(RIP Aunt Pol) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonS said:

If it weren't for subtiles I never would've watched Peaky Blinders.  Tried a few times  but couldn't understand what the fook they were saying.  Especially hard to tell when they're referring to a place or person vs some Olde English phrase I couldn't decipher.

Some brilliant person here suggested subtitles and I was finally able to get into it.   BY ORDER OF THE PEAKY FOCKING BLINDERS!  :pointstosky:

(RIP Aunt Pol) 

My wife is the same way. She’s horrible at understand people with accents. So when I tried to get her to watch it with me she bailed before the first episode was done 

3 hours ago, DonS said:

(RIP Aunt Pol) 

Eddings Aunt Pol?

I got bored with the book some years back but was bored early so I can't really go off of that. I never saw the first movie. Just watched the new one. 

It's pretty freaking good. :thumbsup: 

When does the next one come out?

On 10/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, Cloaca du jour said:

Eddings Aunt Pol?

Not the Belgariad one.