Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

How old are you? (Interview Question)

Actually had some thirty-year-old ask me that today in a job interview.

I started laughing, cuz that's how you get out of a lot of stuff. And when I was laughing I said dude you can't ask me that you know that right?

Yeah, I know that right, but how old are you?

I finally said  I'm going to tell you because if I volunteer my age then you're off the hook, but you honestly can't ask that question. You should know that. 

I know, but...

How would you respond to a question like that?

• Haha 1

Honestly, do you think I should wait till I get hired or rejected? I'm already set for a second interview.

But at some point, GawdDAMN...

5 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

WTF? That’s a standard question any interviewer should ask.

I hope you're...

Along with married or single. Family health insurance is extremely expensive. Married? Pass, unless you’re on your spouses insurance.

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Along with married or single. Family health insurance is extremely expensive. Married? Pass, unless you’re on your spouses insurance.

Wow. 

26 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

WTF? That’s a standard question any interviewer should ask.

If they were allowed to, sure. 

But they aren't. Any interviewer worth their salt will be able to make an educated guess based on the applicants resume. But they can't straight up ask you how old you are. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

If they were allowed to, sure. 

But they aren't. Any interviewer worth their salt will be able to make an educated guess based on the applicants resume. But they can't straight up ask you how old you are. 

Sure they can. We do it in almost every interview.

13 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Can't do it here in California. It opens you up to an age discrimination suit should the applicant not get hired. 

Was asked recently by a 27 year old PR. Told her, it’s right there on my resume. I can pull down my dokers and show you the slap mark on my buttocks were the doctor slapped me and made me cry. 

Knew I wasn’t getting the job. Me: You suck at this. I want to talk to your boss. PR: You don’t know me!!!   Me: You don’t have a wedding ring. You wear phat wemens clothes to make others think you’re pregnant. And for what it’s worth, get some eye drops to clear your eyes. Those tears you shed nightly because your all alone in a sh!try job with no end in sight have taken a toll. Went to my car and got a Lane Bryant catalog from this past summer. Wrote a a sticky note on the top and said”Best wishes on your no future endeavors” Bunny PS- Smile. Gave it to the receptionist and moved on to the next interview. 

13 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Right before they ask you your religious affiliation, sexual orientation, medical history, political affiliation and whether or not you like anal.  

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

Right before they ask you your religious affiliation, sexual orientation, medical history, political affiliation and whether or not you like anal.  

Correct, but the very first requirement for women is to show their t1ts.

15 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I started laughing, cuz that's how you get out of a lot of stuff. And when I was laughing I said dude you can't ask me that you know that right?

I finally said  I'm going to tell you because if I volunteer my age then you're off the hook, but you honestly can't ask that question. You should know that. 

I know, but...

Just wondering:  was the position something that somebody your age would typically do?  As has been noted, it’s not rocket surgery to figure out your age range from a resume or LinkedIn profile.  

Back during one of the downturns I recall being told that they thought I was overqualified for the position.  That might have been code for “too old,” but more likely they knew that I’d move on to something better when the opportunity arose.

Questions you can't ask in an interview are those that pry into an applicant's protected status or privacy rights. For example, workers over the age of 40 are protected by age discrimination law. So you can't ask an applicant's age, even if their appearance or the graduation date on their resume gives it away.

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Just wondering:  was the position something that somebody your age would typically do?  As has been noted, it’s not rocket surgery to figure out your age range from a resume or LinkedIn profile.  

Back during one of the downturns I recall being told that they thought I was overqualified for the position.  That might have been code for “too old,” but more likely they knew that I’d move on to something better when the opportunity arose.

These days, there is no ' typically' is there?

You got grandmothers working at McDonalds. 23 year old managers @ Walmart...

14 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Was asked recently by a 27 year old PR. Told her, it’s right there on my resume. I can pull down my dokers and show you the slap mark on my buttocks were the doctor slapped me and made me cry. 

Knew I wasn’t getting the job. Me: You suck at this. I want to talk to your boss. PR: You don’t know me!!!   Me: You don’t have a wedding ring. You wear phat wemens clothes to make others think you’re pregnant. And for what it’s worth, get some eye drops to clear your eyes. Those tears you shed nightly because your all alone in a sh!try job with no end in sight have taken a toll. Went to my car and got a Lane Bryant catalog from this past summer. Wrote a a sticky note on the top and said”Best wishes on your no future endeavors” Bunny PS- Smile. Gave it to the receptionist and moved on to the next interview. 

Was this interview in Fishtown Pa? 

Pfft, easy one.  At least try to give me something challenging.  😏

• Haha 2

Had a job interview when I was a youngin. At Housework’s. Applied for the assistant manager for the building materials department. Casey Jones was the main manager. I knew a little about construction and wanted to learn more as I knew one day I was going to be an insurance adjuster. So Casey asks me how old I am and why do I think I’m qualified for that position. I told my cool pops the night before about my interview the next day and asked for any advice he could give me. He gave me the best interview advice ever. I share it with every young kid who will listen. I told Casey Jones “I’ll do anything and everything you ask of me. No questions asked.” Hired me on the spot. Thanks cool Pops.

you should have told him your real age but then followed up by telling him how you act like a whiny teenage girl on a geek ff forum

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

You got grandmothers working at McDonalds. 23 year old managers @ Walmart...

It’s funny you say that. I was just talking to an ex coworker who is down on his luck job wise and took a job at Walmart and he said he gets bullied by his manager who is half his age. He is in early 40’s

36 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

you should have told him your real age but then followed up by telling him how you act like a whiny teenage girl on a geek ff forum

Mommy didn’t give someone enough attention. There there. 🤗

1 hour ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Mommy didn’t give someone enough attention. There there. 🤗

i was talking about wiffle

19 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Old enough to know what's right and weak enough not to choose it.

19 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I know, but...

My response would be: "Old enough to work here".

If he pressed, I'd say, "I'm not answering that question".

1 minute ago, Mungwater said:

Jesus, some of you guys don’t know schit about the laws when interviewing.

I hope you didn't think I was serious.  :lol: