Sign in to follow this  
pipeman

All fair in love, war, and fantasy football?

I'm usually against doing something that could bring bad juju onto my season, but I have the ability to add/drop the only two WR's that are worth anything in our league, which would block them out for my opponent that still needs to fill two slots due to injury and bye. I could conceivably drop Jeff Wilson, then add/drop both Gage and Sanders. Good strategy, or poor sportsmanship?

anything within the rules is fair game man....you arent colluding with another team to screw over the league are you? nope.....so its all good

• Like 1

Poor sportsmanship?

No, no, no, you play to win, and if this guy needs these players so badly, he would have already picked them up or at least beat you to them.

I remember several years ago, I had a similar situation. The only decent starting QB on waivers was Big Ben. The team I was tied with in the standings had his only QB out.

He thought since nobody in the league needed a QB, I already had two, and most other people did too. So, I decided to pick Big Ben up. Later that day, I was getting trade offers for QBs.

JMO, but by all means dropping Wilson and picking up one of them is legit and smart....the churning of the ww on the other hand is something different. That's crossing the line to being a d**k move.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, boilerddd said:

JMO, but by all means dropping Wilson and picking up one of them is legit and smart....the churning of the ww on the other hand is something different. That's crossing the line to being a d**k move.  

That's my dilemna. I already dropped Wilson for Gage, but I could conceivably drop Gage for Sanders, Sanders for Slayton, etc...

I don't believe ESPN has anything on their end to prevent this, but it feels dirty.

1 hour ago, boilerddd said:

This. 

2005 was my 1st year playing FF. I didn't study the game thoroughly and had a pretty poor draft. Especially @ RB.

Don't know which week it was, but they broke into the game I was watching & showed Deuce McAllister going down with a bad knee injury.

Antowain Smith was a very capable back up, so I went to grab him off the WW. Just as I was about to click add, I realized McAllister's owner was a pretty good 'work friend' of mine.

I also realized he was working that day and wouldn't have seen what happened. I decided against adding him & my friend picked him up the following Tuesday.

There was a couple people in that 10 team league that I didn't like. If one of them had been the McAllister owner I would've been on Smith like a hobo on a ham sandwich!

• Haha 1

Churning the waiver wire is not good.  If someone in my league did that, I would write a script and churn every single player on the entire wire every week.  

"It's not against the rules" is why we have so many insufferable doūchebags out there

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bobby heenan said:

anything within the rules is fair game man....you arent colluding with another team to screw over the league are you? nope.....so its all good

Waiver wire churning is really bad sportsmanship and if one does that, it just proves the loser that they are...

That was why Yahoo! updated their code a while ago that said if a player was picked up and dropped within the same 24-hour period, they would be a free agent still...

Don't be that loser...  It is just a game...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pipeman said:

That's my dilemna. I already dropped Wilson for Gage, but I could conceivably drop Gage for Sanders, Sanders for Slayton, etc...

I don't believe ESPN has anything on their end to prevent this, but it feels dirty.

If true, good for ESPN for doing the same thing...

https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012531592-Waiver-Period

The Standard league waiver process begins daily between 3am to 5am ET.  To help prevent the issue of cycling players through free agency, a player that is added and released on the same day will remain a free agent. 

• Like 1

Just now, SF Forty Niners said:

It’s all about the W

period .

If it’s a $ league why are you playing - it’s part of the game 

And yes more then once I’ve been called dxxxhead …..

back to back champion nonetheless 

Talking about Gage and E Sanders, I wouldn’t what them.  

I see no problem in picking them up, it’s Saturday already and if that owners hasn’t done so now, that’s not your fault OP. 

But on the same token, neither one of them have been good, Sanders in half point ppr is avg 4 points in his last five games, and Gage has had two worthy games for the season, why bother. Never know how things might go, but I would rather keep Wilson.  

6 hours ago, posty said:

Waiver wire churning is really bad sportsmanship and if one does that, it just proves the loser that they are...

That was why Yahoo! updated their code a while ago that said if a player was picked up and dropped within the same 24-hour period, they would be a free agent still...

Don't be that loser...  It is just a game...

i dont play on yahoo...and i dont play for peanuts....i play high stakes........we do FAAB anyway.....but anything within the rules which doesnt involve colluding with another team is fair game 

1 hour ago, bobby heenan said:

i dont play on yahoo...and i dont play for peanuts....i play high stakes........we do FAAB anyway.....but anything within the rules which doesnt involve colluding with another team is fair game 

Then you really should be churning the wire every week just so no one can get players unless they spend FAAB bucks.

See how that works out for you.

46 minutes ago, nobody said:

Then you really should be churning the wire every week just so no one can get players unless they spend FAAB bucks.

We had a guy in my league about 10 years ago who made a ridiculous number of WW moves. I think he made 130 one year & people started complaining.

Yahoo allows you to set a limit of moves. I communicated with the other players to come up with a number that seemed fair. We settled on 80. 

Sounds like a lot, but we've all been through those years where injuries are a constant, & you can actually need that many.  

8 hours ago, nobody said:

i dont do that nor do i need to....lol..im saying in this guys situation it makes sense...hes in a differnet league with a different type of waiver wire...its late in the year and if he wants to block a guy from getting guys its totally fine...its not a strategy i would suggest doing from week 1 on....but its later in the year and things are getting gritty....you gotta do what you feel is best...and if its within the rules and not colluding with another team? then it is fair

This sort of thing is one reason why it's a good idea to charge for WW pick ups.

Either that or have it set to where players can't be picked up and dropped immediately just so they're off the market for the upcoming games.

That's BS.

This is where you need a commish to step in and put a stop to it.

Is it BS if people are using faab money to do it? 

I thought if you add a player and then drop him that same day he doesn’t lock and is still available.  I could be wrong though.  Haven’t done this myself.

11 hours ago, easilyscan said:

We had a guy in my league about 10 years ago who made a ridiculous number of WW moves. I think he made 130 one year & people started complaining.

Yahoo allows you to set a limit of moves. I communicated with the other players to come up with a number that seemed fair. We settled on 80. 

Sounds like a lot, but we've all been through those years where injuries are a constant, & you can actually need that many.  

I think you can set it so that there is no waiver wire waiting period in the last 24 or 48 hours prior to Sunday.

My league is like that.  3 day wait, or until that window opens up.

that way you cannot pickup and drop multiple players to keep others from getting them

but it is a move to do that in the first place.

its one thing to pickup a player and stash him on your roster.  its another to do that.  thats not in line with fair play in my opinion.

the other solution is to start charging $1 per transaction.  that will get expensive for your guy pretty quick.

Yeah churning of the waiver wire is pretty bush league, if other teams have been doing it then I'd probably do it as well but if not I wouldn't. I'd try to reach out to the commish to put a rule in place for next season either way.

8 hours ago, Da_Bears said:

I thought if you add a player and then drop him that same day he doesn’t lock and is still available.  I could be wrong though.  Haven’t done this myself.

That's the way it is in my Yahoo league. Sunday, November 28th, someone dropped Antonio Brown to pick up Jaylen Waddle @ 3:10 PM 

A little less than 3 hours later, he dropped Waddle to pick up Alexander Mattison. I needed a Deebo Samuel replacement for week 13 & was able to grab Waddle early Monday morning.

Gage did have a very very good game. 

Yes, Gage did well on my bench, as intended. I chose to not make any additional waiver blocks. Didn't want to tilt my fantasy karma.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, easilyscan said:

That's the way it is in my Yahoo league. Sunday, November 28th, someone dropped Antonio Brown to pick up Jaylen Waddle @ 3:10 PM 

A little less than 3 hours later, he dropped Waddle to pick up Alexander Mattison. I needed a Deebo Samuel replacement for week 13 & was able to grab Waddle early Monday morning.

yeah, I think its like that today.  couple years back it wasnt.  there was some of this going on in one of my leagues at that time.

but I like the change.  no complaints.

I'm going to sleep with my opponents wife before next week's matchup.  I'll do it during Monday night football when I know he's watching.  I'll film it and show him after.  They'll be so busy arguing all week he likely won't have time to devote to waiver pickups and setting lineups.  There will be some negative for me as I won't be able to watch the game in real time, but I plan to record it and watch it right after I inseminate his wife.

Not against the rules, and it's high stakes, so it's all good.

1 hour ago, pipeman said:

Yes, Gage did well on my bench, as intended. I chose to not make any additional waiver blocks. Didn't want to tilt my fantasy karma.

Congrats 

11 minutes ago, nobody said:

I'm going to sleep with my opponents wife before next week's matchup.  I'll do it during Monday night football when I know he's watching.  I'll film it and show him after.  They'll be so busy arguing all week he likely won't have time to devote to waiver pickups and setting lineups.  There will be some negative for me as I won't be able to watch the game in real time, but I plan to record it watch it right after I inseminate his wife.

She’ll turn you down, so you have that.  

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

She’ll turn you down, so you have that.  

She's blind, so I've got a decent shot.

18 hours ago, nobody said:

I'm going to sleep with my opponents wife before next week's matchup.  I'll do it during Monday night football when I know he's watching.  I'll film it and show him after.  They'll be so busy arguing all week he likely won't have time to devote to waiver pickups and setting lineups.  There will be some negative for me as I won't be able to watch the game in real time, but I plan to record it watch it right after I inseminate his wife.

Our league has a rule to prevent this. 

3 minutes ago, frank said:

Our league has a rule to prevent this. 

Do does the other owners wife.