Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

New truck

I just traded in my 2021 wrx with 5k miles and I got 2,500 more in trade in value than what I paid for it.

Got me a 2022 taco 4x4 TRD off-road for MSRP and no dealer add-ons.

That is an average deal before the shortage, but is best I could do at any of the ~7 Toyota dealerships in Houston.

:banana:

• Like 1

Nice on the trade in. Dad had a Tacoma 4x4 off road as well but he’s older and said it was too rough a ride for him. After he drove my tundra he traded it in and got a tundra himself. But that Tacoma looked fun as hell to take off roading 

I have a 2019 TRD Sport.   Great truck.   

Tip - get the Toyota roof rack for it (if it doesn't already have it).   It's got a great feature where the cross arms fold away and stow.    Easy to install yourself.    I also added a leaf spring in the rear as I tow with it and wanted it to stand up a little higher.   

I also just put (4) LT26575R16 Goodyear Duratrac tires on mine.   Game changers for winter/snow driving.    If you also put 3-4 sand bags in the back - will really help with winter traction.   The Tacomas are a little light in the rear so some extra weight in the winter really helps.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Do you miss the wrx yet?  :)

Enjoy the new truck

Yes I do, but my depreciation on vehicles the last 3 years had been -2,000 dollars, since I did "lose" 500 dollars on the ram.

I think once the 2.4L wrx is available the 2.0L will drop in value, I wanted to stay ahead of that.

Also, I am now able to buy a bay boat. Time to do some boat shopping.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I just traded in my 2021 wrx with 5k miles and I got 2,500 more in trade in value than what I paid for it.

That is an average deal before the shortage, but is best I could do at any of the ~7 Toyota dealerships in Houston.

Fascinating, as I'm going through a very similar process:  my Lexus is worth about what it was 3 years ago, and I'm in the market for a truck, mid-sized.  I'd be interested in why you went with the Taco, as the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon have higher towing capacity?  Unless the 2022 Taco has more?  Clearly you tow things a lot. 

The GMs do need the turbodiesel to win the towing crown but the Ranger doesn't.  TIA.  :cheers: 

4 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Welcome to the world of quality trucks, my friend :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Fascinating, as I'm going through a very similar process:  my Lexus is worth about what it was 3 years ago, and I'm in the market for a truck, mid-sized.  I'd be interested in why you went with the Taco, as the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon have higher towing capacity?  Unless the 2022 Taco has more?  Clearly you tow things a lot. 

The GMs do need the turbodiesel to win the towing crown but the Ranger doesn't.  TIA.  :cheers: 

The Chevy and the Ford are nowhere near the quality of the Toy. 
Fact

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I don't think this is an accurate statement.     Too lazy and busy to research but when I bought my 2019 the Rangers and Colorado's were much lighter duty than the TRD Tacoma.

8 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

The Chevy and the Ford are nowhere near the quality of the Toy. 
Fact

Well, if the Taco sits in your driveway because it can't tow anything it should last a long time :D  I kid, I kid... but since you slobber Toyota man juice all of the time, my experience with the Lexus is that they achieve a lot of that quality through lack of latest features.  Oh and:

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings/quality/2020/top-rated-2020-trucks-in-quality-according-to-consumers

I have a 21 TRD off road taco in Cement. What color did you get?

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Because my wife ok'd me buying a bay boat and not an offshore boat. The towing capacity of the Tacoma is more than enough.

The resale of the Tacoma is also better.

The ranger would be the vehicle I would buy if I wanted to keep it 5-10 years, because the ranger is quicker/more responsive and after test driving both was the more enjoyable vehicle. But since I am going to flip the vehicle after a short time the resale value wins out.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Because my wife ok'd me buying a bay boat and not an offshore boat. The towing capacity of the Tacoma is more than enough.

The resale of the Tacoma is also better.

The ranger would be the vehicle I would buy if I wanted to keep it 5-10 years, because the ranger is quicker/more responsive and after test driving both was the more enjoyable vehicle. But since I am going to flip the vehicle after a short time the resale value wins out.

Thanks.  Why plan to flip it though?  Are you banking on the supply chain problems to maintain trade-in values?  Just seems like a lot of work for a vehicle you don't enjoy as much.  :dunno: 

17 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  Why plan to flip it though?  Are you banking on the supply chain problems to maintain trade-in values?  Just seems like a lot of work for a vehicle you don't enjoy as much.  :dunno: 

I am banking on used 2022 model year prices being inflated due to the fact that there are significantly less vehicles being produced this year compared to historical production.

The reason I plan on flipping it is because I still want the ford lightning, however now it looks like mid 2023 for me based on my reservation number and ford production issues.

I think I will save money by selling my wrx now since a new model is due out shortly. I think once the 2.4L wrx is released then my version would lose its resale value quickly.

Plus it lets me move up my purchase of a bay boat.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Also Ford ranger tows ~7900 and Tacoma tows 6800.

For towing the ranger is better.

What color did you get?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

What color did you get?

Knowing him, he got the rainbow special edition.

Just now, SUXBNME said:

Knowing him, he got the rainbow special edition.

Like I said, I have a 21 and got the Cement color. Looks like a freshly poured driveway. Sounds like it would be ugly, but it looks sweet. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Like I said, I have a 21 and got the Cement color. Looks like a freshly poured driveway. Sounds like it would be ugly, but it looks sweet. 

I did want that color, but I settled for silver. A boring color after driving a "world rally blue" car, but at least it is not white.

Great truck. Step son has one. Tough to get in if your short. Nice vehicles.

My family does not have a car payment and are credit card free, mostly all debt free.....just a 15 year mortgage at 2% fixed interest on house we bought 12 years ago..   That is in no way a look at me post as I am not rich....we do just fine, but nothing crazy.  HOWEVER just turned 46 years old and dammit I want some new stuff...like a new truck, maybe a boat....IDGAF.

I'm having a tough time juggling being smart with our finances versus living....I may have spelled that wrong,  L I V I N.

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I am banking on used 2022 model year prices being inflated due to the fact that there are significantly less vehicles being produced this year compared to historical production.

The reason I plan on flipping it is because I still want the ford lightning, however now it looks like mid 2023 for me based on my reservation number and ford production issues.

I think I will save money by selling my wrx now since a new model is due out shortly. I think once the 2.4L wrx is released then my version would lose its resale value quickly.

I have been waiting on the Lightning, the F150 Hybrid, the Maverick, and the Hummer EV, but who knows when I will be up for any of them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Lightning, eh?  Nice!  :cheers: 

Won't fit in my garage though, so I'll probably go with the Ranger.

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Lightning, eh?  Nice!  :cheers: 

Won't fit in my garage though, so I'll probably go with the Ranger.

Not on this site, but on the fishing forums I have been the biggest Ford lightning promoter on the internet.

Can't wait to get one.

Faster than my wrx, will power my home for 3-4 days during an outage, will have enough range to tow my boat to Galveston and back, and at a very reasonable price compared to other full size trucks.

I think Ford hit a home run, now all they need to do is get them to market, and that is where they are having difficulty.

28 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I have been waiting on the Lightning, the F150 Hybrid, the Maverick, and the Hummer EV, but who knows when I will be up for any of them

All great choices, although the hummer is quite a bit pricier than the fords.

30 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I've been considering the Maverick, are they on allocation?  Seems like there is some inventory, although not much.  Particularly the higher end packages (like Lariat) which I haven't seen.

In the Maverick class the Hyundai Santa Cruz looks interesting; more features and higher towing, albeit both under 5K lbs.  

9 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

All great choices, although the hummer is quite a bit pricier than the fords.

yah I am not sure I want full electric anyways, I got an update from Ford a couple weeks ago saying my production would start Jan 5th on the Maverick

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I've been considering the Maverick, are they on allocation?  Seems like there is some inventory, although not much.  Particularly the higher end packages (like Lariat) which I haven't seen.

In the Maverick class the Hyundai Santa Cruz looks interesting; more features and higher towing, albeit both under 5K lbs.  

I think the Mav is only via order, it gets better gas mileage than the Santa Cruz and doesn't look as ugly to me.  And the price is great, I got the fully loaded XLT ordered and was under 26k

I also paid 2k for the locking electric bed cover (cause of business) and the cab seems much more roomie.  Every time I have been in a Hyundai I feel like a Giant

2 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I think the Mav is only via order, it gets better gas mileage than the Santa Cruz and doesn't look as ugly to me.  And the price is great, I got the fully loaded XLT ordered and was under 26k

I also paid 2k for the locking electric bed cover (cause of business) and the cab seems much more roomie.  Every time I have been in a Hyundai I feel like a Giant

I get the Ford and GM employee pricing because of my family connections, which is why I'm looking at those.  Ford for sure is only for inventory on the lot; I haven't looked into the recent GM rules yet because I'm leaning Ranger, but long ago there was the option of ordering one.

Just now, jerryskids said:

I get the Ford and GM employee pricing because of my family connections, which is why I'm looking at those.  Ford for sure is only for inventory on the lot; I haven't looked into the recent GM rules yet because I'm leaning Ranger, but long ago there was the option of ordering one.

I loved the new ranger til I saw the sticker, why would I buy one when it gets the same gas mileage as an F150 and costs just as much almost

Ranger should have started in the 27 range, not 40

44 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

The maverick is probably the best new vehicle in 10 years.

A small crew cab truck that can be had for 22-25k with reasonable options.

It is going to kill the market, however there are production issues. Not many of them out in the wild yet. The problem is Ford keeps making great vehicles like the bronco, but then they are backordered for a year or 2.

I saw a bronco sell on eBay for over 100k from someone trying to flip it.

10 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

My family does not have a car payment and are credit card free, mostly all debt free.....just a 15 year mortgage at 2% fixed interest on house we bought 12 years ago..   That is in no way a look at me post as I am not rich....we do just fine, but nothing crazy.  HOWEVER just turned 46 years old and dammit I want some new stuff...like a new truck, maybe a boat....IDGAF.

I'm having a tough time juggling being smart with our finances versus living....I may have spelled that wrong,  L I V I N.

Good for you guys.  We’re down to just the mortgage for the past two years or so.  Amazing to watch the savings and investments balloon up!

But, if you save all your money then when will you spend it?  You’ll be dead soon.

I'm still rocking a 2015 Denali, but I've been looking at getting a Tundra for a while now. Just don't want to spend the money

9 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

The maverick is probably the best new vehicle in 10 years.

A small crew cab truck that can be had for 22-25k with reasonable options.

It is going to kill the market, however there are production issues. Not many of them out in the wild yet. The problem is Ford keeps making great vehicles like the bronco, but then they are backordered for a year or 2.

I saw a bronco sell on eBay for over 100k from someone trying to flip it.

To me it all comes down to how much we think we might tow.  I'm new to this so just looking into things.  The Maverick can tow up to 4K, which seems sufficient for a small travel trailer (loaded including water) like one of these:

https://casitatraveltrailers.com/travel-trailers/

They are about 17 feet; I just asked my wife how big and before I finished the sentence she said "24 feet."  She comes from a boating background and that in her experience was the minimum she'd want.  But boats are different than a rectangular trailer with no engine, so we'd need to see them.  I think they'd be plenty large myself... we'd like to rent one a few times, but currently have no way of towing it (maybe a bungee to our Explorer?  :D ).

Just showed it to the wife and she said "Christmas is in two weeks and my mom is coming before then" so... probably a 2022 project.  Since I'd be using the Ford plan, and there isn't much inventory of anything, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to doing an end-of-year deal.

13 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Christ dude, you would drive me bonkers with all your hypothesizing.  Life is to short for all the brain capacity you put into purchasing a truck.