Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

New truck

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

To me it all comes down to how much we think we might tow.  I'm new to this so just looking into things.  The Maverick can tow up to 4K, which seems sufficient for a small travel trailer (loaded including water) like one of these:

https://casitatraveltrailers.com/travel-trailers/

They are about 17 feet; I just asked my wife how big and before I finished the sentence she said "24 feet."  She comes from a boating background and that in her experience was the minimum she'd want.  But boats are different than a rectangular trailer with no engine, so we'd need to see them.  I think they'd be plenty large myself... we'd like to rent one a few times, but currently have no way of towing it (maybe a bungee to our Explorer?  :D ).

Just showed it to the wife and she said "Christmas is in two weeks and my mom is coming before then" so... probably a 2022 project.  Since I'd be using the Ford plan, and there isn't much inventory of anything, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to doing an end-of-year deal.

You do not want to tow a travel trailer with the maverick.

My bay boat weighed around 5k pounds loaded and the old Acura MDX we had towed it like a champ. You barely even felt it.

We rented a 20 foot travel trailer and towed it past San Antonio, it was 3800 pounds or so. The Acura struggled like crazy getting 6mpg and was very stressful.

A camper is significantly more difficult to tow due to the wind resistance. You want a ranger at a minimum.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Christ dude, you would drive me bonkers with all your hypothesizing.  Life is to short for all the brain capacity you put into purchasing a truck.

I have owned 18 vehicles. I love cars, buying cars, researching, and negotiating. This is a hobby for me, I am registered on multiple truck/vehicle forums and post their sporadically as well.

Although, as I have said before I was dirt poor in my 20s so most of those cars were dirt cheap and I was the last owner before they went to the junkyard.

4 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have owned 18 vehicles. I love cars, buying cars, researching, and negotiating. This is a hobby for me, I am registered on multiple truck/vehicle forums and post their sporadically as well.

Although, as I have said before I was dirt poor in my 20s so most of those cars were dirt cheap and I was the last owner before they went to the junkyard.

I now remember you mentioning you liked the process.  With that, have a ball. 🤝

@SUXBNME

I am getting an error message that says "Drive-Start Control Malfunction Visit your dealer".

There is a tow truck on the way, however I cannot get it into neutral, any suggestions?

25 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

@SUXBNME

I am getting an error message that says "Drive-Start Control Malfunction Visit your dealer".

There is a tow truck on the way, however I cannot get it into neutral, any suggestions?

The brand new truck?

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

The brand new truck?

Yeah, 1 month old and needs warranty work.

Hopefully I did not get a lemon.

my friends tacoma trd pro....beautiful... just wouldn't start one day. had to get towed to toyota dealer. they diagnosed main computer just fried. when tow truck pulled up i said to the guy..."sad thing seeing a new $45K beautiful truck like this on a flatbed"....he said happens all the time with these.... i was shocked!!!!! still am.

32 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Yeah, 1 month old and needs warranty work.

Hopefully I did not get a lemon.

That sucks, man. I’m on my 3rd Tacoma and 2nd Tundra and haven’t had to do anything except change the oil and rotate the fires.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:14 PM, KSB2424 said:

My family does not have a car payment and are credit card free, mostly all debt free.....just a 15 year mortgage at 2% fixed interest on house we bought 12 years ago..   That is in no way a look at me post as I am not rich....we do just fine, but nothing crazy.  HOWEVER just turned 46 years old and dammit I want some new stuff...like a new truck, maybe a boat....IDGAF.

I'm having a tough time juggling being smart with our finances versus living....I may have spelled that wrong,  L I V I N.

Oh I feel you on this. I want a new truck after not having bought a new one since 2001. I'm 50 this year and just may do it. The new Tundra 1776 makes me warm and tingly in my ballzz 

1 hour ago, shorepatrol said:

The new Tundra 1776 makes me warm and tingly in my ballzz 

I can save you some money for the same feeling :wub::ninja:

@SUXBNME

You posted in this thread, but no tips on getting a tacoma stuck in park into neutral?

The check engine light is on and the vehicle is telling me.

"Drive-Start Control Malfunction Visit your dealer"

Absolutely love mine. Have been, and will continue to be a Tacoma owner for life.

With that said. 9 out of 10 times the stories I've ever gotten from people was it was an electrical issue.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:28 PM, MTSkiBum said:

Not on this site, but on the fishing forums I have been the biggest Ford lightning promoter on the internet.

Can't wait to get one.

Faster than my wrx, will power my home for 3-4 days during an outage, will have enough range to tow my boat to Galveston and back, and at a very reasonable price compared to other full size trucks.

I think Ford hit a home run, now all they need to do is get them to market, and that is where they are having difficulty.

I just got home from my dad’s and he got the new Lighting two days ago. It’s amazing. I can’t believe the acceleration it has. 

I was thinking about trading in my 2015 GMC Denali for a 2023 Toyota Tacoma. It'd cost me a 5-8 thousand for a new truck. But I probably won't do it. 

have 10k on a 2022 tacoma SR5 so far and loving it. my son just got a 1st gen tacoma and been great so far too. 

39 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

have 10k on a 2022 tacoma SR5 so far and loving it. my son just got a 1st gen tacoma and been great so far too. 

I'm thinking 8k for a new truck is a great deal. but my Denali has way more options

On 1/4/2022 at 11:36 PM, MTSkiBum said:

@SUXBNME

You posted in this thread, but no tips on getting a tacoma stuck in park into neutral?

The check engine light is on and the vehicle is telling me.

"Drive-Start Control Malfunction Visit your dealer"

Repeat after me

Well

eye

Beef

Hooked

I have change my mind on the lightning. They advertised low prices and have since raised them by 20,000 dollars.

I am not in the market for a lightning and will stick with my Tacoma.

My truck is paid off in April and my wife wants something bigger so we will probably upgrade her car to a bigger SUV since the baby is due in April. Probably wait til the summer to look for one 

34 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have change my mind on the lightning. They advertised low prices and have since raised them by 20,000 dollars.

I am not in the market for a lightning and will stick with my Tacoma.

you know if you order directly from ford you get the price, my Lightning pre-order price was 55k, I have to wait a year but its still honored

I also ordered a Maverick, got it in about 10 months, locked in at 24k fully loaded, dealership told me they would give me a 10k credit on any other car on the lot if I didn't take it.  Ones on the lot started at 45k

I got it, then 3 months later a lady ran a red light and totaled it, and now I am waiting again.  Ordered another one and its 10 months out, but still its only 25k

my insurance company cashed me out 45k so I took the profit and bought a low mileage Scion Xb for my son when he turns 16, and I can use a backup in the mean time

I’ve received multiple letters in the mail the last few months from my local dealers saying they want my trucks -2021 Tacoma and 2015 Tundra. I went this morning out of boredom to see what they had. Tacoma only comes in 4 banger now and the Tundra in 6-cylinder. Fock you guys I’ll keep what I have 

• Like 1